back to camping?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

HassenderZerhacker #1 Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:53 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 27874 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

In the past days, WoT has been rather harsh.

Modules and crew get damaged/injured more than ever to the point that it feels unfair. Yesterday I had my loader knocked out twice by a player using autoaim... this inspite of me having a large med kit equipped that gives +15% resistance to injury.
I know consumables can now be used more than once in battle, but considering how often damage needs to be repaired now, I would be willing to revert to the old ways.

Second, arty has made a comeback and is more annoying than ever. Three arties per team are too much. Too much damage, too much stun and again too much damaged modules.

Third, TDs. Depending on maps, TDs are either useless or they are deadly, completely locking the map. In theory, they can be flanked, except on the maps we play WoT on...

And about TDs - it seems TD gun depression is reserved to Swedish TDs and premium TDs... annoying. And with inflationary numbers of such TDs in battle, these can now position anywhere. combined with increased criticals, i.e. track+engine+driver, a hit by a TD has increasingly become deadly.

Finally, it feels as if teams are less and less competent at playing. I would often be engaging two to three enemy tanks not too far away from "teammates", request help, kill one of the enemies, but then no one comes to help, including supposedly good players who concentrate on farming damage.

Sadly it feels as if the best strategy is to camp in the first minutes of the battle, possibly longer.

Kozzy #2 Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:13 AM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [RINSE] RINSE

View PostHassenderZerhacker, on 20 October 2017 - 09:53 AM, said:

In the past days, WoT has been rather harsh.

Modules and crew get damaged/injured more than ever to the point that it feels unfair. Yesterday I had my loader knocked out twice by a player using autoaim... this inspite of me having a large med kit equipped that gives +15% resistance to injury.
I know consumables can now be used more than once in battle, but considering how often damage needs to be repaired now, I would be willing to revert to the old ways.

Is this a 'feels' thing or have you been keeping track over a statistically useful amount of games/tanks?

Second, arty has made a comeback and is more annoying than ever. Three arties per team are too much. Too much damage, too much stun and again too much damaged modules.

To be honest I have 'felt' this too.  I haven't run the numbers though.  My theory is that arty numbers ARE going back up after the 'backlash' from the arty re-balance has died down.  I could be wrong here though.

Third, TDs. Depending on maps, TDs are either useless or they are deadly, completely locking the map. In theory, they can be flanked, except on the maps we play WoT on...

And about TDs - it seems TD gun depression is reserved to Swedish TDs and premium TDs... annoying. And with inflationary numbers of such TDs in battle, these can now position anywhere. combined with increased criticals, i.e. track+engine+driver, a hit by a TD has increasingly become deadly.

Am I in the minority here of not being negatively affected by TDs?  Unlike arty you can avoid firing lanes of TDs.  Are there any maps in particular you are having trouble dealing with them?  Replays would be better still.

Finally, it feels as if teams are less and less competent at playing. I would often be engaging two to three enemy tanks not too far away from "teammates", request help, kill one of the enemies, but then no one comes to help, including supposedly good players who concentrate on farming damage.

This has been the way since day 1 for me, some people just like to derp about in tanks they don't care about anything else - such as improving their WoT skills.  I would say though, maybe you aren't helping in some instances by getting into a situation where the only way to 'get out of it' is to be helped by team mates?  I have never really played in a way that needs a reliance on team mates helping me.

Sadly it feels as if the best strategy is to camp in the first minutes of the battle, possibly longer.

This is not the strategy I use and my stats have been getting better, consistently.  Even over the last patch which some players have made the game 'unplayable'.

Homer_J #3 Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:19 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 29748 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostHassenderZerhacker, on 20 October 2017 - 10:53 AM, said:

Modules and crew get damaged/injured more than ever to the point that it feels unfair. 

No they aren't, it's entirely perception bias. 

SaintMaddenus #4 Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:27 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35573 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I’m Pro-Arty being in the game but I think three is too many.  A limit of one per battle would make more sense.  Yes you will have to remove some medals and change missions but that would bring about some changes in the game play.  It allows other players to move around more freely if they know that he Arty is occupied digging out that Hull down heavy or Super Sniper Heavy TD in it’s regular camp site behind bushes unseen (but guessed at by the damage done)

sgtYester #5 Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:46 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 54758 battles
  • [RANGF] RANGF

View PostHomer_J, on 20 October 2017 - 11:19 AM, said:

No they aren't, it's entirely perception bias. 

yes they are

so many arty hits now do damage, blow tracks of and kill 2 crew.  not every time but is has increased 

Shivva #6 Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:50 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29809 battles
  • [J_A_G] J_A_G

View PostSaintMaddenus, on 20 October 2017 - 10:27 AM, said:

I’m Pro-Arty being in the game but I think three is too many.  A limit of one per battle would make more sense.  Yes you will have to remove some medals and change missions but that would bring about some changes in the game play.  It allows other players to move around more freely if they know that he Arty is occupied digging out that Hull down heavy or Super Sniper Heavy TD in it’s regular camp site behind bushes unseen (but guessed at by the damage done)

I completely agree. I'm one of the guys who despise arty despite having almost 1k games played in the M53/55 due to personal missions, It is somewhat better to play since the stun mechanism came in but I still detest it. TIghter limits on it would mean you would be almost guaranteed one arty in every game but that would be preferable to having games with 3 each side from time to time, they are usually just a mess with both sides camping and no one wanting to be the first guys spotted.

SaintMaddenus #7 Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:03 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35573 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I think the Stun Mechanism actually represents what arty should be, a supportive suppressive device, yes, we should still do damage should we get lucky, but with 3 arty the ability to keep something permanently tracked it just spoils a game for that player.  If i play a jap heavy and there is are arty on the enemy team I just tell the team don't worry about arty, I'm all theirs. 

HeidenSieker #8 Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:33 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostSaintMaddenus, on 20 October 2017 - 12:03 PM, said:

I think the Stun Mechanism actually represents what arty should be, a supportive suppressive device, yes, we should still do damage should we get lucky, but with 3 arty the ability to keep something permanently tracked it just spoils a game for that player.  If i play a jap heavy and there is are arty on the enemy team I just tell the team don't worry about arty, I'm all theirs. 

The OP is riddled with inconsistencies, and there are observations to be made, but it's just going in circles.

Re your psot, though - yes, it's good that SPGs are now more of a support vehicle. I wish people would adapt to the new style, too - there's far too much "living in the past".

Your last sentence is quite true - but the SPG player is at fault if he is fooled by your ruse. Then there's *still* in-game XVM stats, which I think is an issue that needs tidying up.

Edit: tripo.

Edited by HeidenSieker, 20 October 2017 - 12:33 PM.

HassenderZerhacker #9 Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:25 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 27874 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

View PostKozzy, on 20 October 2017 - 11:13 AM, said:

Is this a 'feels' thing or have you been keeping track over a statistically useful amount of games/tanks?

To be honest I have 'felt' this too.  I haven't run the numbers though.  My theory is that arty numbers ARE going back up after the 'backlash' from the arty re-balance has died down.  I could be wrong here though.

Am I in the minority here of not being negatively affected by TDs?  Unlike arty you can avoid firing lanes of TDs.  Are there any maps in particular you are having trouble dealing with them?  Replays would be better still.

This has been the way since day 1 for me, some people just like to derp about in tanks they don't care about anything else - such as improving their WoT skills.  I would say though, maybe you aren't helping in some instances by getting into a situation where the only way to 'get out of it' is to be helped by team mates?  I have never really played in a way that needs a reliance on team mates helping me.

This is not the strategy I use and my stats have been getting better, consistently.  Even over the last patch which some players have made the game 'unplayable'.

I say "feels" because I'm honest. I feel that way, but I am not willing to put several hours into checking replays and making stats to prove a point on a forum.

I think you are correct about arty coming back after backslash.

the TD problem is less acute than the arty one.

when there are 3-4 TD per team they are not a big problem, but when there are 7-8, the whole game is just camping and waiting for someone to get spotted. The first tank that gets spotted receives a hail of shells, also from arty. such gameplay clearly favors mobile tanks. if playing less mobile tanks, one is just sentenced to hide and camp or die instantly if spotted, and armor is mostly useless.

I too am getting constantly better.

WN8 and win rate are improving strongly, yet I feel my stats improve at the expense of active gameplay.

Waiting for the enemy to make mistakes, for example spotting it and shooting it when it is itself busy shooting stupid teammate bots greatly improves stats, but it's not an enjoyable gameplay IMO.

But when sticking the head out, one is instantly punished by either arty which has become way too precise or by shots damaging modules or crew, often turning the tank into a sitting duck ready to be blown up by more arty or TDs.

Often, only when more than half of tanks are dead the maps open up enough to get moving and flank. But at that moment, the battle has usually been decided already.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users