Is there a new mod showing exactly where an invisible enemy shot from?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

DaSmith #1 Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:06 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 45997 battles
Recently I noticed many potato players aim EXACTLY at me when I was unspotted and shooting at them. I know the game shows you the DIRECTION where you get shot at from, but that indicator is not precise at all and it only shows horizontal direction, not elevation.
And they aim EXACTLY where I am, even if just my turret is out of cover, they aim EXACTLY into the point of origin of the shot.

So is there a new mod for this that potatos found out about or am I just wearing a tinfoil hat?

thestaggy #2 Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:11 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14841 battles

Sounds like tinfoil hat.

An 800 WN8 player with 20k battles, while not being good at the game, will have played the game enough to have basic knowledge of the maps and where tanks like to go.

Also, a lot Youtubers and Streamers take blindshots in to known camping bushes, some of them even encourage their viewers to try it themselves, so they could just be copying their favourite Ytuber/Streamer.

Spurtung #3 Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:13 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 63653 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostDaSmith, on 20 October 2017 - 02:06 PM, said:

Recently I noticed many potato players aim EXACTLY at me when I was unspotted and shooting at them. I know the game shows you the DIRECTION where you get shot at from, but that indicator is not precise at all and it only shows horizontal direction, not elevation.
And they aim EXACTLY where I am, even if just my turret is out of cover, they aim EXACTLY into the point of origin of the shot.

So is there a new mod for this that potatos found out about or am I just wearing a tinfoil hat?

Get a diagonal indicator for your reticle, align it with the direction of the shot, decide where it could be coming from (usually there will be a bush), try your luck.

HeidenSieker #4 Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:13 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostDaSmith, on 20 October 2017 - 01:06 PM, said:

There's a Monty Python sketch entitled "How Not To Be Seen" https://www.youtube....?v=ifmRgQX82O4. You seem to be in the position of the third character in the sketch, Mr. Nesbitt.

Rati_Festa #5 Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 42797 battles
I've noticed quite a few players spamming bushes in the usually spotting places recently. If they have sixth sense and there is only one bush a scout can be in, well it's not difficult to work out where some is hiding is it?

unrealname #6 Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22395 battles
 i think there was actual mod like that in that russian promod modpack iirc. it illegal ofcourse, but that doesnt mean that its not used by anyone.

Edited by Bond90, 20 October 2017 - 01:17 PM.

Balc0ra #7 Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:25 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66269 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Well.. vanilla mod has the rather accurate hit direction UI as I'm sure you have noticed. And if there is only one bush or ride line in that direction..All you have to do is line up the hit direction shot and hope for the best. You would be amazed on how many more blind shots I hit after that UI change came.

But to answer you question. No mod can show your location when not spotted to blind fire at it. But there are mods that can show a more actuate direction of where the shot came from, vs the vanilla UI. But it's not like it's pointing the finger at a bush. It's just the direction. Not the angle or path. So again.. it's down to the obvious bush in that direction etc.

But at least it's not as bad as WOT console. That show tracers even from un-spotted tanks. There you don't need any mods. You simply aim for the tracer origin.

Edited by Balc0ra, 20 October 2017 - 01:31 PM.

Eaglax #8 Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:30 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18992 battles
replays? If that happens so often it should be easy to provide one

Dava_117 #9 Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:33 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19443 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostBalc0ra, on 20 October 2017 - 01:25 PM, said:

Well.. vanilla mod has the rather accurate hit direction UI as I'm sure you have noticed. And if there is only one bush or ride line in that direction..All you have to do is line up the hit direction shot and hope for the best. You would be amazed on how many more blind shots I hit after that UI change came.

But to answer you question. No mod can show your location when not spotted to blind fire at it. But there are mods that can show a more actuate direction of where the shot came from, vs the vanilla UI. But it's not like it's pointing the finger at a bush. It's just the direction. Not the angle or path. So again.. it's down to the obvious bush in that direction etc.

But at least it's not as bad as WOT console. That show tracers even from un-spotted tanks. There you don't need any mods. You simply aim for the tracer origin.

I like this tracer stuff.

WG should introduce it on PC too, to counter camping.

Anxter_ #10 Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:33 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 26589 battles
Between the big [edited]shot indicator, sixth sense probing and a bit of deductive reasoning blindshots aren't very hard to make usually because people tend to pick very specific positions anyway. On prok or lakeville I usually get a blindshot or 2 in because they might be unspotted, but they are still predictable and exposed. The element of surprise doesn't work if you forfeit it by doing something very obvious.

Homer_J #11 Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:33 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28729 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostBalc0ra, on 20 October 2017 - 01:25 PM, said:

I remember when WoT PC was like that, before the star wars mod.

TDs couldn't camp bush without risking arty spotting their tracer.

HugSeal #12 Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:34 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 22717 battles
  • [SWEC] SWEC

No, the server doesn't give you more information than the horizontal direction of the shot, you are just tinfoilhattering.

But you do get rather exact horizontal indication and with that it's usually rather easy to guess where the enemy is.

Aikl #13 Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:37 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25547 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostAnxter_, on 20 October 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

Between the big [edited]shot indicator, sixth sense probing and a bit of deductive reasoning blindshots aren't very hard to make usually because people tend to pick very specific positions anyway. On prok or lakeville I usually get a blindshot or 2 in because they might be unspotted, but they are still predictable and exposed. The element of surprise doesn't work if you forfeit it by doing something very obvious.

Mmm, so lovely when you see in the post-battle results that you managed to nuke a Skorpion blind with KV-2. Used to be a thing on El Halluf too. Now the favourite camping bush is long gone. :(

Ze_HOFF_fverhoef #14 Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:38 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 15159 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

1) I know the exact direction from the incoming shot

2) I do not see a tank there

3) I do see a bush in that exact direction

4) But still no tank

:confused:

Oh well, too bad. No clue where the enemy could be... let's move on 

Phobos4321 #15 Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:39 PM

General

• Player
  • 43226 battles

shotting back to a ridge line would be hard as  your aim would be on the skybox instead of the tank as such your shots will miss  but if the direction indicators hinds to a single bush in its direction i would take a shot there too as long as i dont expect it so be a tank i coudlnt pen. at all or would need to hit certain weaspots

about 80% of the times i fail with that thought sometimes it works   so perhaps it would help to observer your surroundings and notice miss shots as you wouldnt be so surprise if actually by chance you get hit  for once

than again isnt it pretty common to scream cheat before thinking about it

even a noob could get a good game or perhaps his unicum friend is playing for a match ...  its a question of character/mindset if you are willing to expect everything unexpected to be caused by cheats/hacks/ whatever

Anxter_ #16 Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:46 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 26589 battles

View PostAikl, on 20 October 2017 - 12:37 PM, said:

Mmm, so lovely when you see in the post-battle results that you managed to nuke a Skorpion blind with KV-2. Used to be a thing on El Halluf too. Now the favourite camping bush is long gone. :(

The best is when you blindshoot E1 or the second most obvious bush at D1 and the light bugs out because he thinks he's spotted, that never gets old. Hell, I've even been called a chitter by a type 64 who didn't seem to understand that if you do a blindshot and there's no dirt splashing up behind a tiny bush then people tend to keep shooting. Obviously him dying without ever being spotted could only be because of cheats. 

Still enjoy map shots more though. There is a certain kind of satisfaction to gain from lining up a 650+ meter shot in your T30 and getting the damage pop-up saying you highrolled.

HassenderZerhacker #17 Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:49 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 27223 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

View PostRati_Festa, on 20 October 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

I've noticed quite a few players spamming bushes in the usually spotting places recently. If they have sixth sense and there is only one bush a scout can be in, well it's not difficult to work out where some is hiding is it?

yes.

I have been accused recently of haxxoring because of just doing that.

Spurtung #18 Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:05 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 63653 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostZe_HOFF_fverhoef, on 20 October 2017 - 02:38 PM, said:

1) I know the exact direction from the incoming shot

2) I do not see a tank there

3) I do see a bush in that exact direction

4) But still no tank

:confused:

Oh well, too bad. No clue where the enemy could be... let's move on 

You forgot 

5) write in chat "go spot" and ping that direction at least 20 times

Ze_HOFF_fverhoef #19 Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:13 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 15159 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSpurtung, on 20 October 2017 - 01:05 PM, said:

You forgot 

5) write in chat "go spot" and ping that direction at least 20 times

Me thinks 20 times might not be adequate. Those noobs never understand....

Spurtung #20 Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:17 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 63653 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostZe_HOFF_fverhoef, on 20 October 2017 - 03:13 PM, said:

Me thinks 20 times might not be adequate. Those noobs never understand....

20 is the bare minimum if you're driving something specialized in sniping, like the IS-7.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users