The low tiers and why the game is struggling.

rebalance gameplay problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Darkshadow556 #1 Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:17 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 16178 battles
  • [681] 681
So I've played Wot for quite a while and I can easily point the simplest reason why the game has few new players.
The introduction to the game is a mess, a mess with little thought put into it.
When designing tanks from tier 1-4 no thought was put into the process of making them.
Tanks are slow, barely armored, borderline blind, inaccurate with fast firing guns and low pen.
The low tier lines are made of copy and paste tanks.
What's the worst part about low tiers is the power creep, even looking at the stats you will see the massive disparity between the newly introduced lines and the old lines.

For example tanks that are essentially the same tank, I will compare the firepower of the new czech tanks from tiers 1-4 with the german tanks that were based on the same tanks.
The Czech tanks have around 21 pen more tier for tier, on all tanks.
The tier 3 lt.vz 38 is the direct competitor to the pz.38t.
It has a 3 shot autoloader with around 20 pen more than the 38t.

Comparing the Pz III J with the czech variant is just as bad, it lacks penetration it's dispersion values are larger.
Comparing it to the japanese tanks is also bad because they beat it in almost all departments.
What do the german low tier tanks have? Speed, which in low tiers is not all that useful because 75% of maps are corridors and the other 25% they get killed by the pz I c.

Now we come to the low tiers Tds, which are an atrocity.
The guns have dispersion of around 0.4, which means that unless you are running a 100% crew which a new player won't have because he is not a seal clubber. The dispersion will be much, much worse.
So shots fly all over the place, they have no armor and most of them are reaaally slow.
The playstyle that works is, sit in a bush in the back and fire over and over again at a target until the target gets hit by 1 shell and runs away or he spots you and kills you because you lack both mobility and armor.

And now we reach the "best" part about tiers 1-4 the "heavy" tanks.
This is where a new definition of bad gets reinvented, they are the funniest most sad thing I've seen in the game.
Slow, unarmored, with guns that spray shells all over the place and low penetration.
The japanese heavies come to mind, which btw I enjoyed but let's not call them heavy tanks, as they are as far from that as they can be. They get shredded by machine guns, they hit unarmored targets like a truck, if they actually hit and are
as slow as a t95.

Then comes the DW2, which is probably the saddest tank I've seen in the game, slow, unarmored, undergunned.
What's the most hilarious thing about it,  it will see tier 5, where it will have to fight things like the KV1.
At tier 4 the broken l60 gun struggles, a matilda will wipe the floor with you, the amx 40 will kill you easily.
I wonder if anyone even played it once before it was released, the tank is a deathtrap that needs to run full APCR to hope to even compete with the tanks it calls competitors, and when it meets tier 5, it's a cardboard box with a pvc pipe strapped on that fires cotton balls. It's so bad it's hilarious.

Sure there are good tanks sprinkled here and there for flavor, but the majority of the tanks at tier 1-4 are just horrendous. Stupidly fast/slow tanks with no armor, fast firing guns that will fire all over the place and not pen if they manage to hit something with armor. One shot cannons or autoloaders that will melt anything they meet.
The new lines are properly balanced but the old ones are just fodder that can't hope to compete with anything.

All in all the low tiers need a good and long look at, the old lines are just so bad playing them is a frustrating experience that doesn't teach the new players anything about the game that unveils at tier 5-10.

japtank #2 Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27619 battles

Low tiers are very fun as they are, I disagree with you.

It's true though that the power gap between tiers is way too high.

It's only bearable between tier IX and X IMHO.

Balc0ra #3 Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:30 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64355 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostDarkshadow556, on 27 October 2017 - 12:17 PM, said:

Then comes the DW2, which is probably the saddest tank I've seen in the game, slow, unarmored, undergunned.

Why do you think it has +1 MM? It's one of few normal tanks that have it. 

_EXODUZ_ #4 Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:36 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34617 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
Low tiers are about pew-pew :child:

Darkshadow556 #5 Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:40 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 16178 battles
  • [681] 681

View Postjaptank, on 27 October 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

Low tiers are very fun as they are, I disagree with you.

It's true though that the power gap between tiers is way too high.

It's only bearable between tier IX and X IMHO.

Which is why your average tier is 8, and you don't play tier 1-4 with the exception of 2-3 tanks, with every other low tier tank you've played having 1-25 games played in it.
Are you sure you disagree?

Rati_Festa #6 Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 41385 battles

I agree with most of the Ops points Tier 4 vs 5 is really bad, I have a friend currently grinding through the KV1 and I platoon with him using my Kv220 its pref mm but I just play it anyway as I'm showing him how to side scrape etc.

If we get a top tier game we are literally guaranteed a win. T4's can't pen us even if they have the sense to flank us, you get the odd T67 with purple/blue stats but due to the armour and HP's of the KV1's they are fairly easy to deal with. I fought a DW2 last night in my Kv220 we traded a couple of shots, mine all penned his bounced, I decided to just ignore him and deal with other tanks, partly out of pity for him.

A lot of the disparity is the players game knowledge though, WG really need to look at how many games a player has played and start to pool them in battles at the lower tiers at least. There is one thing a new player buying an IS6 and entering T8 by choice and getting slaughtered, compared to some poor soul trying to learn the game the right way by progress through the tiers and getting massacred by KV's and T67 etc.

It's basically alienating new players imo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users