SPG players

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
76 replies to this topic

Matcorr #1 Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22746 battles

This isn't a thread hating on SPGs, I think they're useful but there's one thing I just don't understand, a lot of SPG players seem to think they're incapable of moving. We all know what I'm talking about, the ones who drive to a bush and stay there the entire game even though the enemy is closing in on them, then they die and spam ping the map.

So here's a tip, if your team has won one side and lost the other, follow the winning side, don't just stay in base and let the enemy come kill you. I can't understand the mentality behind these people.

LepiSale #2 Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:05 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 47798 battles
Some arties are very slow and visible, to the point that any substantial moving means they will be spotted and killed.

clixor #3 Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:09 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 51483 battles
If i park my GWE-100 somewhere i'm .. sorta.. commited to that spot. It's also up to the team in recognizing that. For instance sigfried line (defending) where arties spawn on the north side. Especially if you have more than 1 arty it would be at least recommendable to defend that flank.

Edited by clixor, 29 October 2017 - 02:09 PM.

430Umad #4 Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:09 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 20738 battles
  • [EX-4] EX-4

View PostMatcorr, on 29 October 2017 - 02:57 PM, said:

I can't understand the mentality behind these people.

Edited by JOHN_HOLLYWOOD, 29 October 2017 - 02:12 PM.

Jigabachi #5 Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:11 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Posting that here won't help, the braindead masses don't read the forums.

HeidenSieker #6 Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:44 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostMatcorr, on 29 October 2017 - 01:57 PM, said:

This isn't a thread hating on SPGs, I think they're useful but there's one thing I just don't understand, a lot of SPG players seem to think they're incapable of moving. We all know what I'm talking about, the ones who drive to a bush and stay there the entire game even though the enemy is closing in on them, then they die and spam ping the map.

So here's a tip, if your team has won one side and lost the other, follow the winning side, don't just stay in base and let the enemy come kill you. I can't understand the mentality behind these people.

That's OK in some caes, as another has already stated, but in something that's s-l-o-w, relocating significantly can be difficult, or suicidal. No firing on the move, long tome to aim, etc. In something very slow, it's sometimes necessary to pick a spot before the flow of play has started to be properly evident.

But yes, relocating where possible is a good idea.

Problems with relocating do extend to other classes, too, don't they. Don't get me started on the LTs etc. that stay at the very rear, or corner.... OOOH!

Re pings, it's worth considering them, although pingspam is reportable, because someone may have seen something not entirely obvious to others.

CaptainThunderWalker #7 Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18937 battles

View PostLepiSale, on 29 October 2017 - 02:05 PM, said:

Some arties are very slow and visible, to the point that any substantial moving means they will be spotted and killed.

This is a big problem with a lot of high tier arty.

Even my S-51 often finds itself committed to a spot because the moment I move away from the bush I get spotted and killed (and not all maps have enough room to move away before you are in danger, take Ensk or Mines for example) and I can't imagine what it'd be like for the Tier VIII-X German arty. At any rate map design is a bit of a problem if it comes to fleeing with artillery - not just small maps, but maps like Sacred Valley don't offer many opportunities to run either because you are forced to wank in a corner (because otherwise you risk getting yolo'ed) and if a flank collapses you can't get out of that corner fast enough to escape safely unless you drive a very fast artillery piece, probably something French.

And even on the maps you do have the ability to escape, you have to recognize the danger early enough - like minutes in advance - because most artillery just isn't fast enough to escape at the last moment.  And even if you have a minute or so to run, it is often too little and you end up in a situation where it's better to just make a stand and fight.

And there is always the situation that there is just nowhere to run to because the other fight is even while one flank is overrun, so you really have nowhere safe to go.

In the end, I notice there are only five maps where I really end up running away my primary arty piece, the G.W Panther. Malinovka, Prokhorovka, Murovanka, and El Halluf.

There are some maps that offer some chances to do so, like Swamp, Fisherman's Bay, Sand River and Overlord, but you often end up in an awkward position or can only run if a specific flank collapses (if it's the other, you have no escape) or one spawn has much more possibilities for artillery to run than the other (both Fisherman's Bay and Swamp are guilty of this, the northern spawn in both maps offers more convenient routes to escape properly though it's not impossible on the other spawn either, just a whole lot more situational). Getting the 'wrong' spawn to run in my G.W Panther on Swamp gave me a Cold Blooded medal - sometimes you just have to turn around and fight!

Edited by CaptainThunderWalker, 29 October 2017 - 02:57 PM.

ArtyIsSuperior #8 Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:04 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 274 battles

View PostJigabachi, on 29 October 2017 - 02:11 PM, said:

Posting that here won't help, the braindead masses don't read the forums.

all 3 arty haters with 10 accounts each read the forum and even worse they constantly troll here about removing arty.

Total extermination of arty haters is only solution

jack_timber #9 Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:04 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33432 battles
I tend to move after every shot when playing arty, maybe only 30 to 50m or so. Not to relocate, some are far to slow and some maps are to small, so arty can't pick me out with counter battery fire. Only arty I have that is nimble enough is Bert and then again you have to due to the limited range of the shells.

CmdRatScabies #10 Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:07 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37610 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
It's the ones that like to direct their team that piss me off.

ArtyIsSuperior #11 Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:10 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 274 battles

View PostCmdRatScabies, on 29 October 2017 - 03:07 PM, said:

It's the ones that like to direct their team that piss me off.

arty is a weapon for general. You have overview of the map, and you can direct your team to victory.

People that are natural born leaders will love arty. On the other hand, natural losers hate arty.

Megatron_77 #12 Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:11 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19839 battles

View PostJigabachi, on 29 October 2017 - 02:11 PM, said:

Posting that here won't help, the braindead masses don't read the forums.Is this sarcasm? Because there is a lot of people on these forums and like 80% of them (or even more) is actually braindead, u are one of those, so this topic would actually help a lot of people like you.

Edited by Megatron_77, 29 October 2017 - 03:14 PM.

conductiv #13 Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:11 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 33678 battles
  • [FIFO] FIFO

immobility is one of the major problems of an SPG, they are often big slow and fragile, and also keep in mind where you have to move in order to get shots into positions otherwise in cover

flanking a position in an SPG with indirect fire as to flush campers out is great in concept...but basically requires you to already have a significant advantage in numbers so you can actually move safely to the flanking position. and if you already have a significant numerical advantage this often leads to a frantic rush for kills (and SPG's will simply not have the time to move to new positions before either the rushers are killed and the match flips, or the rushers succeed and the match ends) 

it is much easier..and often more productive to cover the standard corridors...resulting in the opposite effect, SPG's actually enforcing camping. 

SPG's are a nice concept and I really like indirect fire as a tool, but the way it is currently implemented is more detrimental then beneficial to actual gameplay

CmdRatScabies #14 Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:14 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37610 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostArtyIsSuperior, on 29 October 2017 - 03:10 PM, said:

arty is a weapon for general. You have overview of the map, and you can direct your team to victory.

People that are natural born leaders will love arty. On the other hand, natural losers hate arty.

I just tell them to F off & that no one likes them. Jumped up little Rommels. 

Spurtung #15 Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:16 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 63763 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View Postclixor, on 29 October 2017 - 03:09 PM, said:

If i park my GWE-100 somewhere i'm .. sorta.. commited to that spot. It's also up to the team in recognizing that.

No it isn't. If you can't read the map and relocate when needed, that's on you.

ArtyIsSuperior #16 Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:17 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 274 battles

View PostCmdRatScabies, on 29 October 2017 - 03:14 PM, said:

I just tell them to F off & that no one likes them. Jumped up little Rommels. 

You do not have the capacity to understand the wisdom of arty players.

CmdRatScabies #17 Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:22 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37610 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostArtyIsSuperior, on 29 October 2017 - 03:17 PM, said:

You do not have the capacity to understand the wisdom of arty players.

Many of them do seem to inhabit an alternate universe.  At least it's just the hardcore (mostly brain dead) arty at the moment, with missions being suspended.

Edited by CmdRatScabies, 29 October 2017 - 03:22 PM.

conductiv #18 Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:24 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 33678 battles
  • [FIFO] FIFO

View PostSpurtung, on 29 October 2017 - 03:16 PM, said:

No it isn't. If you can't read the map and relocate when needed, that's on you.

lol, by the time that thing actually moved to a new worthwhile position the battle would be over. its like a maus having to switch flanks.....

ArtyIsSuperior #19 Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:27 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 274 battles

View PostCmdRatScabies, on 29 October 2017 - 03:22 PM, said:

Many of them do seem to inhabit an alternate universe.  At least it's just the hardcore (mostly brain dead) arty at the moment, with missions being suspended.

people play arty for fun and relaxation also. Not just missions

Enforcer1975 #20 Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:31 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20760 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostMatcorr, on 29 October 2017 - 01:57 PM, said:

Situational awareness or rather the lack of it is not just a problem of SPG players. On the other hand most arty are just too slow and sluggish to bother moving around when you have to spend a minute to finish aiming at a target and still miss. 155 58 is an example of an active arty piece, not saying all arty should be that fast but they should at least have some forward speed so they can at least "move with the team".

Edited by Enforcer1975, 29 October 2017 - 03:32 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users