• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:27 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24364 battles
  • [POOLS] POOLS

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to improve my game and wondering how you guys make correct decisions during battles on what you should be doing and when you should do it. What I mean by that is there are battles in which I know I am not doing enough, playing too conservative, moving forward seems way too soon or risky at the time and I'm waiting for something to happen rather than making something happen but in the meantime the battle is slipping away. Other times I'm also guilty of trying to make something happen and paying the price for it.

The obvious influences are tiering, tank class and map, then reacting to how the battle unfolds, teammates go, enemy go etc and that's all fine when the battle plays out like that but where I feel I really need to improve is in those moments where, as mentioned, there is not much happening, the battle is getting away from the team, personally doing not enough and not of any use at that moment in time yet to relocate or push will probably be a bad thing.. what do you do? How can I improve in these situations? Doing nothing and waiting for something to happen is not good while getting killed like an idiot trying to relocate or make something happen is also no good.

Edited by TungstenHitman, 31 October 2017 - 10:28 AM.

Timmber #2 Posted 31 October 2017 - 11:02 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23636 battles
  • [FREEP] FREEP

View PostTungstenHitman, on 31 October 2017 - 10:27 AM, said:

Doing nothing and waiting for something to happen is not good while getting killed like an idiot trying to relocate or make something happen is also no good.

Well if you feel you are losing anyway relocating/ changing tactics is allways the better option. You might get slaughtered a few times but there will be other occasions when you do make a difference. 

Anyway it's just a game so doing something active is more fun for me then remaining passive and loose anyway. 

Strappster #3 Posted 31 October 2017 - 11:03 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25677 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostTungstenHitman, on 31 October 2017 - 09:27 AM, said:

I'm looking to improve my game and wondering how you guys make correct decisions during battles on what you should be doing and when you should do it.

It's simple - don't tell anyone about the games where what you did didn't work.

Karasu_Hidesuke #4 Posted 31 October 2017 - 11:54 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16175 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L
Run.

krismorgan #5 Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:26 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 33213 battles
  • [UKT] UKT
I know what you mean op.

Ankara_Aatu #6 Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:02 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 35453 battles
  • [RIOD] RIOD

I think it's very difficult to put down in the form of general principles: in situation A do B.

You could try watching replays from good players, especially if they include commentary on their decision making. For example Zeven has good videos on youtube and twitch. He also has a replay review series where he comments on the decision making of other players of all skill levels. Personally I feel I have learned a lot from his vids.

The most universall advice I can think of, is Always try to be useful to the goal of winning the game. Try to figure out what is keeping your teammates from advancing, or what could keep the enemy from advancing, and act accordingly. Don't sit and wait. I think a major difference between a good player and an average bob like me and you, is that a good player always knows in advance what he's going to have to do next. So he doesn't have to waste time sitting idle figuring out what he should be doing.

qpranger #7 Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:08 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 33865 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

*Edited

Edited by Nohe21, 31 October 2017 - 01:11 PM.
* This post has been edited by the moderation team due to non-constructive content.

TungstenHitman #8 Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:03 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24364 battles
  • [POOLS] POOLS

Ya I think maybe there is no easy answer to this but I wish I knew how to go about these situations better because I know if a better player was using the same tank in the same situation would do something else. It's that feeling of being almost helpless and totally useless at times in this game when you really want to help or turn a battle but its a situation where I really can't think of anything of how to make that happen even with all the map knowledge and experience gained.

It's like those close battles like 4v1 finale when you are presented with a few seconds to absorb the situation and to make a choice of where to go, which tank to focus on. You can either find a defensive spot with excellent cover from arty and can maybe double bush, stay and let them come or relocate using a sensible route around the map avoiding being spotted and take out a low hp enemy first then maybe remove the enemy arty making it a 1vs1 finale. All the while time is passing and the options are starting to ebb away until your not really in any position to do either and reflecting afterwards "awwwwww WHY did you do that!! So stupid!"  In such instances, is there the naturally sounder choice? Is taking the defensive option better than being the aggressor?

Havoc7926 #9 Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:48 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 13083 battles
  • [OLDG] OLDG

Watching really good players can help a lot.  I used to occasionally watch a certain very popular streamer but never really learned much.  Recently I've been watching top players 3-marking the super Conq and the games where they take a break and play some games for 'fun' and I've learned a lot.  Now I have nothing against the first streamer mentioned and he has his target audience but that is not really people wanting to be good.  The down side of watching some of the more 'hard core' players is that you don't see much outside of tier 8 strongholds or tier 10.

Unless you are playing tier 9/10 then you just have to accept that there are some games where you can't do a lot.  Like last night; bad player (me) in a VK 45.03 against Good aggressive players in tier 9's never ends well.  

iztok #10 Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:50 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 35215 battles

Hi!

We can't give you such advice, because the battlefield is ever-changing environment and possibilities are virtually endless.

What you can do for yourself is ANALYSE each battle WRT what did you know when it was happening vs. what you do know in retrospect. Then start asking yourself questions about what COULD you do better, or why your tactical decision failed. And be objective ("it's all noobs' fault" is not an analysis you can learn from), or you'll never get better.

When you'll analyze enough battles, you'll realize some patterns are more often than others, some moves work better, some approaches don't yield good results. Keep analyzing, and you'll realize you're MUCH better at reading battle in progress and reacting accordingly. And with that will come also the nowadays elusive success. :great:

BR,  Iztok

Edited by iztok, 31 October 2017 - 03:01 PM.

Sfinski #11 Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:53 PM

Major

• Player
  • 32340 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

I don't really do conscious decisions during games. I just react to what ever is happening in the game. To improve how you react is simple. Just play more and try to get better. 

Enforcer1975 #12 Posted 31 October 2017 - 03:26 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20973 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

View PostTimmber, on 31 October 2017 - 11:02 AM, said:

Well if you feel you are losing anyway relocating/ changing tactics is allways the better option. You might get slaughtered a few times but there will be other occasions when you do make a difference.

Anyway it's just a game so doing something active is more fun for me then remaining passive and loose anyway.

Just had a few games like that....Karelia assault on defense f.e. where the scout spotted from behind a rock because reasons and the team had the mentality of "let them come, we have time" essentially giving away 90% of map control to the enemy so they can come pouring in from all sides. Good thing they weren't smart enough and only came down the usual lines so i could at least farm some damage and kills. I was on a constant retreat until i couldn't go further.

All you can really do is either die guns blazing or try to do as much damage as you can while being evasive hoping it is enough for the other to win in case they get you.

Edited by Enforcer1975, 31 October 2017 - 03:37 PM.

K_A #13 Posted 31 October 2017 - 03:57 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13670 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Trial and error is probably the only way to gain the experience needed to get better from where you are. You've mastered the principles of the game mechanics, you know how spotting works, roughly where to shoot, how to hide your tank, how to use your armour and speed, now you just need to figure out where and when and in which order to do these things to have the biggest impact possible in the outcome of the battle. And that's not really something that can be "taught" per se, it needs to be learned through trial and error.

Try stuff, don't be afraid. If it didn't go right and you die, don't just go to the next battle but ask yourself "what else could i have done in that situation?" And even if what you did worked and you won, try to still stop and ask yourself "but what if the enemy had done this or gone there? Would it have still worked or would we have lost?"

Ask these things after each battle and you'll start to pick up on the things that most often work and things that most often don't work, and try to then incorporate the things that work into your own gameplay.

ExclamationMark #14 Posted 31 October 2017 - 04:11 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 16775 battles
git gudder

zikkon #15 Posted 31 October 2017 - 04:32 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 36128 battles

My thought process during loading:

Are there artys in the game? If yes -> camp.

Do they have XVM? If yes -> camp harder.

If there are no artys in the game - play to my tank's strenghts (hulldown, sidescrape, rush to an advanced position etc.).

qpranger #16 Posted 31 October 2017 - 04:49 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 33865 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postqpranger, on 31 October 2017 - 02:08 PM, said:

*Edited

OMG, I simply said "git gud scrub".

No banter allowed anymore?

TungstenHitman #17 Posted 31 October 2017 - 04:56 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24364 battles
  • [POOLS] POOLS

View Postqpranger, on 31 October 2017 - 03:49 PM, said:

OMG, I simply said "git gud scrub".

No banter allowed anymore?

No apparently. Did you get a warning point? I got a warning point the other day for playfully calling the OP a tart lol! Doesn't come much more mundane, inoffensive and banterish than tart but you know, I guess if your'e actually a bit of a tart it's offensive.

qpranger #18 Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:00 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 33865 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostTungstenHitman, on 31 October 2017 - 05:56 PM, said:

No apparently. Did you get a warning point? I got a warning point the other day for playfully calling the OP a tart lol! Doesn't come much more mundane, inoffensive and banterish than tart but you know, I guess if your'e actually a bit of a tart it's offensive.

Comparing a person to pie?

You were lucky not to get an instant ban :)

TungstenHitman #19 Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:05 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24364 battles
  • [POOLS] POOLS
Ok interesting answers but answer me this then. What do YOU do when, it's an open map with little to no cover like Fiery Salient or Malinovko etc and your teams light tanks either bot yolo and die in the first second or simply refuse to scout leaving the entire team blind? WHAT can you do in those situations in your big heavy tank with zero camo? every time you move you hear that 6th sense go off and the sound of shells smashing into your tank. Now I'm playing almost exclusively medium tanks lately so there is a little camo and a little scouting potential but vs a pure high camo light tank and it's not really comparable so I get that same "omg will you forking SCOUT!!" moments too... what's the best strategy for countering that scenario of which is a REGULAR feature tbh as you all know

Karasu_Hidesuke #20 Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:15 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16175 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L

View PostTungstenHitman, on 31 October 2017 - 04:05 PM, said:

Ok interesting answers but answer me this then. What do YOU do when, it's an open map with little to no cover like Fiery Salient or Malinovko etc and your teams light tanks either bot yolo and die in the first second or simply refuse to scout leaving the entire team blind? WHAT can you do in those situations in your big heavy tank with zero camo? every time you move you hear that 6th sense go off and the sound of shells smashing into your tank. Now I'm playing almost exclusively medium tanks lately so there is a little camo and a little scouting potential but vs a pure high camo light tank and it's not really comparable so I get that same "omg will you forking SCOUT!!" moments too... what's the best strategy for countering that scenario of which is a REGULAR feature tbh as you all know

Go hill. It's the place where you can survive the longest.. most of the time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users