Is The British Heavy + Turreted TD Line Worth Grinding At This Point?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:54 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24083 battles

Also, what about them works better than other nations alternatives at this point making them worth bothering with?

Thanks.

Edited by TungstenHitman, 01 November 2017 - 11:55 AM.

jack_timber #2 Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:23 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 34440 battles

Ground out the TD line.

Tortoise can be fun, only sometimes... UDES at T8 doesn't have any problems penning Tortoise though apart from mantlet using standard AP. On paper good armour but a lot is flat....

Deathstar, got it rarely take it out though. Wait 25 seconds to load, 3 seconds to fully aim, boom and miss:( Perhaps being a bit harsh but rumours say it's going to be replaced so will wait and see.

Good luck with the grind, BTW AT2 at T5 is great fun....

Sfinski #3 Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:23 PM

Major

• Player
  • 32198 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-
Charioteer is the only one worth it on TD line. Not worth enough to grind the line though.

T8-10 heavies are from decent to good. If you got a lot boosters and can blast trough the early tiers the heavies are worth it.

tajj7 #4 Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:29 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25777 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
Heavies are probably now worth it, tiers 8-10 are decent, lower tiers not so much but with boosters you should be able to blast through the Churchills and BP reasonably quickly. 

Havenless #5 Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:31 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 454 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

Heavies are definitely worth it, the tier 9-10 tanks are excellent. I've yet to play the buffed Caern(and probably never will rebuy a sold tier 8 that doesn't sh*t money) but it seems to be a pretty solid tank. I found the Blyat Prince quite tolerable as well, although I feel it could use a top speed buff.

The TD line seems like a viable TD line option. Worse than the best lines, but one of the better TD lines.

Edited by Havenless, 01 November 2017 - 12:40 PM.

TungstenHitman #6 Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:32 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24083 battles

I've always fancied the Caernarvon at tier8 and the higher tier British heavies but was put off by complaints about painful grinds and meh performance vs tier counterparts but how about now? The truth is a don't like inaccurate brawling face hugging tanks and value accuracy aim times above all else. Is it safe to come back to tier8 yet? Looks good on paper vs the IS3 etc

https://tanks.gg/com...o-ho~caernarvon

Also noticed the British turreted have have one HELL of a pen buff which is always nice to save pressing2 all the time and a turret is obviously a must have in todays WoT gameplay but they look a but awkward and ungainly? I take it a Charioteer stile aint no SkorpionG?

https://tanks.gg/com...prot~skorpion-g

TungstenHitman #7 Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:34 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24083 battles

View Posttajj7, on 01 November 2017 - 11:29 AM, said:

Heavies are probably now worth it, tiers 8-10 are decent, lower tiers not so much but with boosters you should be able to blast through the Churchills and BP reasonably quickly. 

Ya it's the higher tiers I meant, sorry. Looking to crack back into higher tier tanking and need some motivation to bother grinding so hoping the British line might be worth the bother if I invest the time like say over Christmas Hols etc

Havenless #8 Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:39 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 454 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View PostTungstenHitman, on 01 November 2017 - 02:32 PM, said:

I've always fancied the Caernarvon at tier8 and the higher tier British heavies but was put off by complaints about painful grinds and meh performance vs tier counterparts but how about now? The truth is a don't like inaccurate brawling face hugging tanks and value accuracy aim times above all else. Is it safe to come back to tier8 yet? Looks good on paper vs the IS3 etc

Tier 8 is the worst tier you can play but it's probably a fine tank as it is. Just play it like a slow Centurion, think of it as a slow super medium. Playing it like heavy just won't work out. Don't be the "i go city cuz heavy" guy, just play the medium flanks aggressively and use the turret armor/gun depression.

The gun handling isn't too bad but don't get too excited after looking at the base accuracy and aiming time. The turret traverse stabilization is bad which hurts the snap shot potential quite a lot. It's probably the most important gun handling stat in the game but most players still ignore it or don't understand how to read it. The grind should still be more than tolerable, I quite liked the tank when I played through it half a year ago or so before it was buffed.

TungstenHitman #9 Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:51 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24083 battles

View PostHavenless, on 01 November 2017 - 11:39 AM, said:

The gun handling isn't too bad but don't get too excited after looking at the base accuracy and aiming time. The turret traverse stabilization is bad which hurts the snap shot potential quite a lot. It's probably the most important gun handling stat in the game but most players still ignore it or don't understand how to read it. The grind should still be more than tolerable, I quite liked the tank when I played through it half a year ago or so before it was buffed.

Damn it, this is what happened to me already with the Pantherll, had amazing gun stats when in practice was anything but. I rectified that a bit with a vert but even at that it was just not trading very well with it's much lesser alpha and as you know, vs decent players that actually use hills and buildings to get off a shot and then take cover to reload, it's basically going to be an alpha vs alpha trade and not a dpm vs dpm more often than not so far as heavy tanks are gigantic sized mediums are concerned. Based on your comment I'm thinking the Caerno plays much like a Pantherll but maybe the turret armor makes this playable hull down whereas the Panther2 just has no fighting style options?

Dr_Oolen #10 Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:58 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22267 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
heavies yes, tds no

Blitzknacker #11 Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:08 PM

Private

• Player
  • 33897 battles

Both lines yes. Caenarvon at tier 8 has improved considerably with the new gun and amazing dpm, will probably be nerfed eventually. It's a long time since I played the Black Prince and I imagine that will be the only painful part. Super conqueror is great too.

On the turreted TD's I gave up at the charioteer some time ago but have since resumed the grind, post buff. The -10 gun depression transforms it, with that power to weight, camo and damage potential it's great fun, just beware it needs full aiming and then still misses often. Playing Conway now, grinding the 5.5 inch gun but so far the 120mm is superb, nice gun handling for a TD with high accuracy, and dpm. It plays more like a medium.

Both lines are effective and fun so I would recommend.

Edited by Blitzknacker, 01 November 2017 - 02:09 PM.

Balc0ra #12 Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:14 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 67337 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

HT's don't start to be worth it until you get all the modules on the tier 8. Tier 5 to 7 was fine when they came. Tier 5 is still effective, but tier 6 and 7 is arguably the worst HT's affected by power creep. So not that fun to play. But high tiers are def worth it.

Turreted TD's is kinda the other way around. Even the tier 5 is fun "IMO", the tier 6 is a good support TD, but not much for anything else. Tier 7 is fantastic after the buffs. And tier 8 was always good. Tier 9 is still underwhelming, but less bad to play. I hear the same about the tier X.

Enforcer1975 #13 Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:15 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20912 battles

I got the Challenger post buff...it's nice with the new gun which was the reason fir me to pick it as the next tank to grind. Don't know if i will go up one tier when i finished grinding the xp for the Charioteer because i lack good crews and would have to train them on the AT15A which is a pita to play with the current teams. I already moved my CromB crew over because i haven't been playing that tank anymore anyway. 

I played the 4005 on SB and was surprised about the mobility. Gun is T34ish....meaning it can be troll sometimes. 

Edited by Enforcer1975, 01 November 2017 - 02:18 PM.

arthurwellsley #14 Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:18 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 52128 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

View PostTungstenHitman, on 01 November 2017 - 10:54 AM, said:

Also, what about them works better than other nations alternatives at this point making them worth bothering with?

Thanks.

The UK heavies used to be rather below average apart from the tier IX. Since the buffs they are better. USSR heavies leading to IS7 are arguably more consistent and above average. If you want to play CW then German, Japanese, USA, and China are more optimum than UK at the present moment.

UK tds. Something of an acquired taste.

The AT series, which are supposed to be assault tds do not have armour that works consistently. The buffed T95 is just so much better than the Tortoise at that tier, and the Object 704 is better than both. Thus again UK third behind USA and USSR.

The turret UK tds. My goodness I hated the pre-buff Challenger, possibly one of the bottom five tech tree vehicles (played prior to recent buff). The Charioteer is averagely good.

So of the three lines you mentioned the only one with a slight recommendation is the Heavy line, but even that is somewhat marginal.

Stevie_Ray_Vaughan #15 Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20436 battles
  • [MING] MING

Brit non turreted TDs might be good, if it wasnt for the current MM.

Finally made it onto the Tortoise, which can deal with Tier X tanks, so far only one in the line I am enjoying.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users