Erlenberg: make it a draw from the get go, thank you.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

japtank #1 Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:22 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27619 battles

So we won't be wasting our time for 15 minutes each game.

The center river is pretty, but, like on so many maps, just a camping marker: make it MUCH shallower and narrower and add obstacles (like a larger village) so we can actually try and do something instead of watching a random streamer waiting for some idiot to get spotted on the other side.

Province was a better map TBH, at least was it possible to rush for the climbs and be succesful from time to time.

This map, like Paris, is just asking for a suicide rush, I've got better things to do with my time.

Shaade_Silentpaw #2 Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:08 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 22302 battles
Don't you mean draw for standard battle OR automatic win for defenders in assault? :P

_EXODUZ_ #3 Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:17 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34979 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
It's an easy map if you have a couple of competent team mates. I like long games once in a while.

Balc0ra #4 Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:25 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 65957 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Post_EXODUZ_, on 02 November 2017 - 04:17 AM, said:

It's an easy map if you have a couple of competent team mates. I like long games once in a while.

This. Tho it's not the best map in the game. It's far, far from the worst. Most just look at the enemy build, and if they are HT/TD heavy from the north, you know they will all go castle. If the south is TD/medium heavy. You know most of them will go the 9 line and take out anything there first. And slow games is not bad now and them if you have team mates that don't mind taking their time.

But then again, it can be a short map to. Like when you have a TD/medium heavy team and win the 9 line. But some still push for their cap, and get killed 1 by 1 crossing the river. Or when you win the castle from north, and the HT's push on their cap, while the scout still sit further back. Know they have 5 TD's camping that hill. So yeah, the map needs a competent team. Map needs a bit of work to be good still. But not even on my top 5 list of maps they need to fix or remove first. 

View Postjaptank, on 02 November 2017 - 12:22 AM, said:

Province was a better map TBH, at least was it possible to rush for the climbs and be succesful from time to time.

This map, like Paris, is just asking for a suicide rush, I've got better things to do with my time.

So what you are saying is that if the river was dry with more cover in the open, it would be better? Could be. But Province is more or less the same, even with cover. If you cross in the open on the wrong side, you will get ganked. And you either sat at the top with binocs and spotted 100% of the map. Or drove across and did the proxy. But if they had a competent player on the other side, they would usually be ready to counter before you even got half way. And this more or less does the same. As there most sat in spawn and more or less spotted 100% of the map instantly. And you knew you were screwed if they had a Pak40.

Sure, like Paris is just asking for a yolo rush to finish it off. But... like Paris. You just gotta wait for them to make a mistake and use it. Then again, unless you like the 3min steam rolls better on other maps?

Edited by Balc0ra, 02 November 2017 - 04:31 AM.

UrQuan #5 Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:34 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 19411 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Tbh, going the other flank is still viable, it's about denying the enemy full control over a flank & slow him down long enough that your guys can take full control over a flank & crush the enemy. But you can only do this if you don't go alone. A small group of tankers is enough, taking positions at the classic holdout points & hold back superior enemies, both in number as in tier.

A minimum of a heavy armored tank & a heavy hitter is required to make it work tho. If not present, don't cross bridge & help the team claim your part of the map.

I tend to do this because 15 minutes of camping isn't my idea of fun. I drive armored heavies, my duty is in the frontline & when Erlenberg goes into snipe mode, there's not much I can do. And people hate sniping heavies anyway.

Enforcer1975 #6 Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:32 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20760 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Post_EXODUZ_, on 02 November 2017 - 04:17 AM, said:

Yep it's one of those maps where you feel like you're doing something  ( unless you are camping the TD bushes ofc ) even though the game takes longer than usual. For me assault is much more fun from both sides compared to encounter. Even more fun when one flank doesn't get steamrolled one minute into the game / not leave one flank open. 

japtank #7 Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27619 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 02 November 2017 - 04:25 AM, said:

Then again, unless you like the 3min steam rolls better on other maps?

Now that you talk about it, yes, I'd rather have a 3 minutes fight than a 15 minutes wait.

There could be some middle ground though.

The meta at higher tiers has dramatically changed on Erlenberg (not talking assault, I don't play assault nor encounter), now everybody goes to camp immediately.

On maps like Lakeville, it is still possible, albeit rare, to try a valley push and succeed, and it always has been.

It seems people have given up on Erlenberg and if a poor sod tries anything different he finds himself alone and has to turn back.

Is the map the only thing to blame?

I think not.

The lack of obstacles is (probably, we can only guess here) a concern, as is too high damage.

You can't take any risk with nowadays damage level, guns are too powerful and too accurate.

Maybe the playerbase is also responsible: players are more experienced, we now have Twitch which we didn't have years ago, which promotes a certain type of gameplay, less spontaneous and more calculated.

To top it all, the focus on stats, from XVM and now, like if it wasn't enough, the brand new ingame hall of fame, takes away what could remain of any cavalry heroism.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong and things are the way they've always been :D

Wintermute_1 #8 Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:53 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 43804 battles

Draws happen incredibly rarely, on this map and every other. 

Generally on Erlenberg if you clean your side of the river then cross the middle bridge and work forward using the buildings as cover you'll get a result. Very occassionally you wont make it in time.

Derethim #9 Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:10 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17358 battles

Am I the only one, who likes this map?

I mean...

I don't think it's more campy than Malinovka and I don't actually find camping in this game bad, unless it's the classic "5 TDs in one boosh". Camping is tactical in slower games like WoT and WoT benefits from slower games.

Quick games like CoD rely on your reflexes, slower games like WoT rely on your planning. Altough I agree, that every map in the game could use more soft cover.

I hate coverless maps, but Erlenberg has quite a lot of it tbh

ZlatanArKung #10 Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:38 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles

View Postjaptank, on 02 November 2017 - 09:44 AM, said:

Now that you talk about it, yes, I'd rather have a 3 minutes fight than a 15 minutes wait.

There could be some middle ground though.

The meta at higher tiers has dramatically changed on Erlenberg (not talking assault, I don't play assault nor encounter), now everybody goes to camp immediately.

On maps like Lakeville, it is still possible, albeit rare, to try a valley push and succeed, and it always has been.

It seems people have given up on Erlenberg and if a poor sod tries anything different he finds himself alone and has to turn back.

Is the map the only thing to blame?

I think not.

The lack of obstacles is (probably, we can only guess here) a concern, as is too high damage.

You can't take any risk with nowadays damage level, guns are too powerful and too accurate.

Maybe the playerbase is also responsible: players are more experienced, we now have Twitch which we didn't have years ago, which promotes a certain type of gameplay, less spontaneous and more calculated.

To top it all, the focus on stats, from XVM and now, like if it wasn't enough, the brand new ingame hall of fame, takes away what could remain of any cavalry heroism.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong and things are the way they've always been :D

Problem is that you can't cross the bridges and get to a position safety on the map.

Once one side is lost, it takes huge amount of hp and tank to establish yourself on that side again.

If it was remade so it was possible to establish a tank on the other side via changes, then it would be a much better map. 

Also, the hulldown position and bushes on the sides help the Defender of a side to much.

They have

Hulldown possibility

Bushes so they don't get spotted.

While the crosser have a field of open ground to cover.

Lessen the defensive capabilities and increase bushes in the area where you can cross either bridge.

AliceUnchained #11 Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:40 PM

General

• Player
  • 38414 battles
  • [322] 322

View PostBalc0ra, on 02 November 2017 - 04:25 AM, said:

This. Tho it's not the best map in the game. It's far, far from the worst. Most just look at the enemy build, and if they are HT/TD heavy from the north, you know they will all go castle. If the south is TD/medium heavy. You know most of them will go the 9 line and take out anything there first. And slow games is not bad now and them if you have team mates that don't mind taking their time.

Fully agree. While perhaps not the best map, or even a very good map, I'd take it over Stalincrap, Kharcrap, Abbey Crap, Himmelscrap (still better than first 2 though), Arctic Crap, Windcrap, Ensk Crap, Mines Crap (at higher Tiers), Mountain Crap, any day of the week.

And I for one don't mind the slow, drawn out, 10+ minutes games. Especially now that recently everything seems to be over in less than 5 minutes, and 15 - 5 (or less) scores seem prevalent. 

Edited by AliceUnchained, 02 November 2017 - 12:41 PM.

nobble #12 Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:39 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 49004 battles
  • [BAD-S] BAD-S

I enjoy a slow tactical game too, Erlenberg is now a bit like the old swamp before re-work.

Take a positions on opposing ridges and camp/snipe. Patience is rewarded and good map awareness wins the game.

All games dont have to be Massive close range brawls.

OneSock #13 Posted 02 November 2017 - 03:22 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34518 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM
Totally. good spotting and positioning wins. tactical maps are just fine. leave them alone.

LCpl_Jones #14 Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:50 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9770 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postjaptank, on 02 November 2017 - 12:22 AM, said:

So we won't be wasting our time for 15 minutes each game.

The center river is pretty, but, like on so many maps, just a camping marker: make it MUCH shallower and narrower and add obstacles (like a larger village)..........

isn't it getting a bigger town area in the middle when it goes to HD ?

Cobra6 #15 Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:57 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16332 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

If you have a good team you can have a nice long battle, if one team is terrible it's a steamroll. Very rarely draw on this map when I am playing.

Basically the team that crosses the river with the most tanks, loses. Always stay on the side your base is on.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 02 November 2017 - 04:58 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users