Boosting is cheating

cheating boosting map design

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

MrPigpants #1 Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:48 PM

Private

• Player
  • 14774 battles

WG please can you fix the maps that STILL allow boosting into areas clearly not designed for tanks to travel to. What is the point in designing a map to have certain areas for certain tank types if some shitbag is going to sit on a mountaintop for the entire game and remain out of reach while they fire on a massive portion of the map? You need to sort this out fast as it is becoming more and more widespread and is genuinely ruining the game.

I hope someone from development is treating this seriously.

Stat_Padder #2 Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38904 battles
Everything and everyone is cheating when you are a 40% player....  just play and get better and stop complaining :child:

sgtYester #3 Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:10 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 53444 battles
  • [RANGF] RANGF

well, boosting is indeed cheatin since u can get to locations where ur not ment to go an be able to shoot from  those places relatively easy. 

already new maps have been researched on boosting spots and put on youtube so hopefully wg will put wall/rocks/whattever there to stop players from going there when the maps go live

250swb #4 Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:15 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21707 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I'm not sure about it being cheating, but it is frustrating being on the same team as somebody who's only role in life is to waste everybody's time. So often boosting is done just to show off because when they eventually get to where they want to go they've already missed half the battle, and then sit in a pointless spot doing nothing. On top of which once they are spotted they are stuck and an easy target in most cases. So yes, it should be outlawed if only to ensure each team has fifteen players, not fourteen plus an idiot.

Edited by 250swb, 05 November 2017 - 01:16 PM.

Schepel #5 Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:17 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 57334 battles

View Post250swb, on 05 November 2017 - 01:15 PM, said:

I'm not sure about it being cheating, but it is frustrating being on the same team as somebody who's only role in life is to waste everybody's time. So often boosting is done just to show off because when they eventually get to where they want to go they've already missed half the battle, and then sit in a pointless spot doing nothing. On top of which once they are spotted they are stuck and an easy target in most cases. So yes, it should be outlawed if only to ensure each team has fifteen players, not fourteen plus an idiot.

I thought there were 14 idiots in every team? :P

Homer_J #6 Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:32 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostPhilth, on 05 November 2017 - 11:48 AM, said:

WG please can you fix the maps that STILL allow boosting into areas clearly not designed for tanks to travel to. 

If you can get there then it's clearly not designed so you can't get there.

It's not like WG can't watch the same yootube videos the rest of us can so one has to assume that any remaining climbs are legitimate.

Jigabachi #7 Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:19 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17858 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Post250swb, on 05 November 2017 - 01:15 PM, said:

I'm not sure about it being cheating,

I'd not call it cheating, but it's definitely against the rules and it should definitely get fixed asap. Not because you have one player every now and then who is able to dominate an entire match from that position, but because you also have those who TRY to do that but horribly fail, ruining a match one or the other way.

But to be fair, I don't hold a grudge against those who find those paths. It can be fun and those people often help improving the game - if the developer is competent.

But since WG is WG, fixing the main climbing routes will probably take a few patches many months.

Aikl #8 Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:29 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25167 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostJigabachi, on 05 November 2017 - 01:19 PM, said:

I'd not call it cheating, but it's definitely against the rules and it should definitely get fixed asap.(...)

Pretty sure it was stated by a staff member that if the map makes it possible, it's not even against the rules to use climbs.

Climb paths would be an interesting feature if they weren't broken; not unlike other types of low-risk/high-reward positions with no real counterplay. On the other hand, the 'climbing' part just complicates (makes it slower/harder) what would be the end goal; 'loosening up' gameplay by making flanking strong positions easier/possible. Pearl River and Northwest kind of felt that way, even if I try to squint without rose-tinted glasses on.

Edited by Aikl, 05 November 2017 - 02:29 PM.

Xaneleon #9 Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

• WGL PRO Player
  • 21599 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

The thing is; there's a couple positions that are broken (looking at Redshire), but the rest! The rest are ALL played around or are countered in some way.

I'm just defending these climbs, because they take away from the awful corridors. I thought armor meta was bad enough, but atleast we have gold ammo for that.

Climbs are anti-corridor meta, they actually require skill and you need to actually use your brain to avoid the traps by them.

Seriously, name any climb that still isn't fixed that gives you any trouble, I can help.

To make it all too clear, I am all for fair play and reasonable balance, remove the obvious broken ones.

I think that the people that complain are the same people that don't know how to adapt.

Jigabachi #10 Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:43 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17858 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostXaneleon, on 05 November 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

I'm just defending these climbs, because they take away from the awful corridors.

Fixing something by breaking something else isn't the best tactic if you want a balanced game.

I see your point, though. That's why I only report those who REALLY interfere with the flow of a match, which are mostly those who just camp up there, wasting everyone's time.

Edited by Jigabachi, 05 November 2017 - 02:45 PM.

Xaneleon #11 Posted 05 November 2017 - 03:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

• WGL PRO Player
  • 21599 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

Yeah Jiga, true. Not saying it's done correctly now, if mountains would be balanced that would be a whole different story. 

ExclamationMark #12 Posted 05 November 2017 - 03:08 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 16679 battles

Climbs are anti-corridor meta, they actually require skill and you need to actually use your brain to avoid the traps by them.

Yeah, that's why I see reds and yellows doing them constantly, and then being as effective as a unicum would be because of a stupid climb.

Fjords mid-climb for example, one of the easiest "climb" if you can call it that. I don't think I've had a recent game where some bot didn't go there, and it makes the mid for South spawn pretty much incontestable.

Dammonar #13 Posted 05 November 2017 - 03:54 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 51888 battles

The thing is; there's a couple positions that are broken (looking at Redshire), but the rest! The rest are ALL played around or are countered in some way.

I'm just defending these climbs, because they take away from the awful corridors. I thought armor meta was bad enough, but atleast we have gold ammo for that.

Seriously, name any climb that still isn't fixed that gives you any trouble, I can help.

To make it all too clear, I am all for fair play and reasonable balance, remove the obvious broken ones.

I think that the people that complain are the same people that don't know how to adapt.

Redshire by invisi strvs and maybe fjords with bat. I have done my best light tank games exploiting that climb that shuts down half of the map. I also fvkc1n hate mines boosts. But its true the worst one is in redshire by far, so much that tactics are based around it. Steppes isnt far off either . I realy wish climbs where completely removed, I dont mind heavy meta , its not the worst meta ever 2012 TD meta or 2011 -early 2012 arty meta was far worse, 2013-2014 e5 -140 meta was the best btw.

Xaneleon #14 Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

• WGL PRO Player
  • 21599 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

View PostExclamationMark, on 05 November 2017 - 02:08 PM, said:

Yeah, that's why I see reds and yellows doing them constantly, and then being as effective as a unicum would be because of a stupid climb.

Fjords mid-climb for example, one of the easiest "climb" if you can call it that. I don't think I've had a recent game where some bot didn't go there, and it makes the mid for South spawn pretty much incontestable.

You should do an analysis for Fjords in its entirety, you'll notice that it's not just C7, but also everything else which makes West > East.

Mr_Deo #15 Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:58 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 40396 battles
  • [ESAF] ESAF

View PostSchepel, on 05 November 2017 - 12:17 PM, said:

I thought there were 14 idiots in every team? :P

The games I play in have 15 in every team.

RNG must like you.

All WG needs to do is force any tanks parked in no-go zones to have really bad dispersion and force the tanks to continually slip around, perhaps even causing damage to the tracks.  Some maps it is really bad in, you cant cap because they can peekaboo over something and shoot you before they are spotted, you cant climb the hill... It's basically a system that locks it in so your in a loss loss situation, and they might run the risk of no win.

Basically WG doesn't want to call it cheating, When LaserPointers become "Boosting" then that means they accept it for regular play.

ExclamationMark #16 Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:08 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 16679 battles

View PostXaneleon, on 05 November 2017 - 04:05 PM, said:

You should do an analysis for Fjords in its entirety, you'll notice that it's not just C7, but also everything else which makes West > East.

I am excluding map design and talking solely about climbs. What climbs does South have? Only 1 which is completely useless unless you have great gun depression and there's no clickers. 

magkiln #17 Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:22 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22622 battles
  • [EKKE] EKKE
What do you mean, 'not meant to go'. If you can get a tank in there, that's it, you were clearly 'meant' to get there. If it takes two tanks to get you in there, that's just a reward for good teamwork.

Crow_Eschatologist #18 Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:25 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 23075 battles
  1. Cheating? Maybe. Undesirable emergent gameplay pattern? Definitely.
  2. People who say 'git gud' are either trolling or missing the point: it exacerbates the already crappy map design by letting 'good' players on only one side of the map climb and farm free damage from nigh unassailable positions.

It sucks.

FlashBoredom #19 Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:26 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 17763 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

If boosting is cheating, what's stopping you from getting there, they have no clear advantage over you as you can do the same, only thing stopping you is lack of ability tbh..

Also as for things tanks can't do, I don't remember at tankfest seeing a tank with a hp bar (yes I am trolling)

RamRaid90 #20 Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:36 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20586 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostFlashBoredom, on 05 November 2017 - 04:26 PM, said:

If boosting is cheating, what's stopping you from getting there, they have no clear advantage over you as you can do the same, only thing stopping you is lack of ability tbh..

Also as for things tanks can't do, I don't remember at tankfest seeing a tank with a hp bar (yes I am trolling)

No you can't, all the maps with climbing positions have only a good climb from one spawn. Making the map severely unbalanced.

Also tagged with cheating, boosting, map design

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users