What decides if the SPG 'Stun' effect triggers or not?

spg stun conditions

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Wyley #1 Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:43 PM

Private

• Player
  • 514 battles

Hi all,

First of all, Hello, I'm Wyley (Yes, real name..) new here just started playing about 2 weeks ago.

This is my first post here.

I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to online.

I'm currently playing the Sturmpanzer II as part of doing the Campaign missions for the Stug IV.

Some of the missions require you to stun a target for a certain amount of time.

But I can't seem to find any pattern as to what I need to do to trigger the 'stun' effect.

- I can do big damage on a direct hit. It may stun or not. Mostly not..

- I can do a little damage with a non-penetrating hit. It may stun or not. Mostly not...

What are the requirements for a shot to actually stun a target?

(NB: I have read on some other discussions that many people seem to think only guns over 150mm can stun - This is false, the St.Pz. II has a 150mm gun and CAN stun tagets, it just seems very reluctant to do so.)

(NB2: Yes, I've realised that it would be easier to do these missions in a Grille or Hummel, but it's really hard to grind there if you lose almost every game you play when you're in arty...)

Thanks for any help.

Wyley

HundeWurst #2 Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:48 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 69956 battles
  • [ROIDS] ROIDS

There are hardly any "triggers".

As long as you are in the splash radius of that stun you will get stunned just the further away the shell hits the lower the time you are stunned. However the duration dropoff is close to non existent. Your vehicle does not even need to recive any kind of damage (not even yellow tracks) to get stunned what is just plain stupid.

THe only way to avoid getting stunned is to sit behind solid cover thicker than 2 (?!?!????) meters. The mechanic is a bit more complex but thats the basics.

Wyley #3 Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:50 PM

Private

• Player
  • 514 battles

View PostWunderWurst, on 05 November 2017 - 01:48 PM, said:

There are hardly any "triggers".

As long as you are in the splash radius of that stun you will get stunned just the further away the shell hits the lower the time you are stunned. However the duration dropoff is close to non existent. Your vehicle does not even need to recive any kind of damage (not even yellow tracks) to get stunned what is just plain stupid.

THe only way to avoid getting stunned is to sit behind solid cover thicker than 2 (?!?!????) meters. The mechanic is a bit more complex but thats the basics.

Then why does the stun effect often not work, even on direct penetrating hits?

HundeWurst #4 Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:55 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 69956 battles
  • [ROIDS] ROIDS

View PostWyley, on 05 November 2017 - 01:50 PM, said:

Then why does the stun effect often not work, even on direct penetrating hits?

It appears that you might be talking about low tier arty. Many and more of these dont even have the stun effect. You can easily figure that out by having a closer look at their guns and shells.

RamRaid90 #5 Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:59 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21507 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

Stun is for guns of caliber 150mm and above, the Sturmpanzer can indeed stun vehicles for a maximum duration of 6.3 seconds.

However, since it is a low tier arty it's splash in non-existant and really only direct hits will cause any stun.

Perhaps you are simply sometimes not hitting the target and actually watching and ally cause damage?

Wyley #6 Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:00 PM

Private

• Player
  • 514 battles

View PostWunderWurst, on 05 November 2017 - 01:55 PM, said:

It appears that you might be talking about low tier arty. Many and more of these dont even have the stun effect. You can easily figure that out by having a closer look at their guns and shells.

In my post I mentioned:

(NB: I have read on some other discussions that many people seem to think only guns over 150mm can stun - This is false, the St.Pz. II has a 150mm gun and CAN stun tagets, it just seems very reluctant to do so.)

I have even completed the primary condition of SPG-3 mission (Stun a heavy tank or TD two times) so my SPG can definitely stun.

Wyley #7 Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:03 PM

Private

• Player
  • 514 battles

View PostRamRaid90, on 05 November 2017 - 01:59 PM, said:

Perhaps you are simply sometimes not hitting the target and actually watching and ally cause damage?

I thought so at first, so I paid special attention to this. Even in games where I am the only arty in game, a direct hit will often not stun the target.

Dr_Oolen #8 Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:06 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21827 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

View PostRamRaid90, on 05 November 2017 - 01:59 PM, said:

Stun is for guns of caliber 150mm and above, the Sturmpanzer can indeed stun vehicles for a maximum duration of 6.3 seconds.

However, since it is a low tier arty it's splash in non-existant and really only direct hits will cause any stun.

Not correct, incidentally i was playing through those artas few weeks ago and the bison and stpz IV really seem to stun only at times randomly. Doesnt matter if you direct hit for 200+ or if you splash for 50, more often than not it doesnt stun at all despite having minimum stun time of something like 4 seconds. Then grille on t5 has a gun very similar to those two and it stuns every single time, including 0 dmg splashes that damage tracks only. Also it doesnt matter if you hit something with 20 mm of armor or 60 mm... id estimate those two artas stun with maybe 10-15% of the shots, as far as i can tell completely randomly.

Edited by Dr_Oolen, 05 November 2017 - 02:08 PM.

RamRaid90 #9 Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:11 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21507 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

View PostDr_Oolen, on 05 November 2017 - 01:06 PM, said:

Not correct, incidentally i was playing through those artas few weeks ago and the bison and stpz IV really seem to stun only at times randomly. Doesnt matter if you direct hit for 200+ or if you splash for 50, more often than not it doesnt stun at all despite having minimum stun time of something like 4 seconds. Then grille on t5 has a gun very similar to those two and it stuns every single time, including 0 dmg splashes that damage tracks only. Also it doesnt matter if you hit something with 20 mm of armor or 60 mm... id estimate those two artas stun with maybe 10-15% of the shots, as far as i can tell completely randomly.

In light of that it is more likely a bug with the tank (or the tier since I believe they are the only two tier IV tanks with the stun effect)

Considered reporting it?

Edited by RamRaid90, 05 November 2017 - 02:11 PM.

Strappster #10 Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:13 PM

General

• Player
  • 24116 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostRamRaid90, on 05 November 2017 - 12:59 PM, said:

Stun is for guns of caliber 150mm and above ...

Except the Crusader SP's 5.5in (139.7mm) gun also has stun.

Orkbert #11 Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:18 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25512 battles

As it seems that there is a mechanic involved that if the randomly determined stun duration is less than five seconds then the stunning won't take effect. Now the Sturmpanzer II is noted as stun duration ranging from 4.29 to 6.6 seconds, and that does not yet factor in stun reducing equipment (Spall Liner, Large Medkit or whatever) so more often than not the resulting stun duration gets below the 5 seconds threshold and as such no actual stun happens.

As annoying as this may be, with a 6m splash radius the Sturmpanzer is at the tiers it gets to play quite a beast. just not for the personal missions.

Block Quote

What are the requirements for a shot to actually stun a target?

Basically being an arty which has a minimum stun duration of more than five seconds (six would probably be better)

For the later arty missions you gonna need a gun with longer/more stun anyways.

Dr_Oolen #12 Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:21 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21827 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

View PostOrkbert, on 05 November 2017 - 02:18 PM, said:

As it seems that there is a mechanic involved that if the randomly determined stun duration is less than five seconds then the stunning won't take effect. Now the Sturmpanzer II is noted as stun duration ranging from 4.29 to 6.6 seconds, and that does not yet factor in stun reducing equipment (Spall Liner, Large Medkit or whatever) so more often than not the resulting stun duration gets below the 5 seconds threshold and as such no actual stun happens.

As annoying as this may be, with a 6m splash radius the Sturmpanzer is at the tiers it gets to play quite a beast. just not for the personal missions.

Basically being an arty which has a minimum stun duration of more than five seconds (six would probably be better)

that would explain it nicely indeed (the 5 s cutoff)

Wyley #13 Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:32 PM

Private

• Player
  • 514 battles

View PostOrkbert, on 05 November 2017 - 02:18 PM, said:

Thanks, that explains it nicely.

Also tagged with spg, stun, conditions

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users