How to make the Type 4 work, without ending up as a smoking wreck every match?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

EmperorSafirius #1 Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:35 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 21032 battles

So after an almost 60% WR grind on the O-HO, i finally bought the Type 4, which i was really looking forward to.

Yeah..where to start,

slow and very unagile, anything can flank you, while the bad cammo makes sure that everything will spot you.

Stock gun isn't the worst, that's ok I guess.

The armor...seems to be useless for anything except tier 8s that don't shoot premium ammo. Anything else seems to easily pen me on the flat surface, and everymatch, I get penned at least once through the turret front cheeks.

How do you guys play this tank, when you're always the last one to arrive at a flank because of the slow speed, and unable to relocate anywhere.

Snatch_The_AmmoRacks #2 Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:39 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 27972 battles

Play something else then. That tank was made as a gateway for [edited]who can damage without penning. As much cancer as arty.

Seriously. Boring tank to play and boring to play against it to. 

EmperorSafirius #3 Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:41 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 21032 battles

View PostJuicyProduction, on 07 November 2017 - 02:39 PM, said:

Play something else then. That tank was made as a gateway for [edited]who can damage without penning. As much cancer as arty.

Seriously. Boring tank to play and boring to play against it to. 

Doesn't help me, because I want to play it and want to make it work, hence the post.

Dava_117 #4 Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:42 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18519 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS

Don't playing it untill Derp removal is not an option, isn't it?

BTW leggassini is the jap HT expert, so I will summon it with a tea cerimony, to help you!

cragarion #5 Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:43 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 42933 battles
Watch videos on youtube https://www.youtube....h?v=MsHU9KDX4Pc

Emeraldweed #6 Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:45 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8722 battles
  • [-322-] -322-

View PostEmperorSafirius, on 07 November 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

Doesn't help me, because I want to play it and want to make it work, hence the post.

Don't over extent, always make sure that you have a friendly covering your back, and who's ready to poke and take a shot while you reload,  use the fear of your gun at your advantage aka don't look away from your enemies even while you reload

Snatch_The_AmmoRacks #7 Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:47 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 27972 battles

View PostEmperorSafirius, on 07 November 2017 - 01:41 PM, said:

k den. zero respect for players that play it but here. I don't have one but seen plenty. Armour is OP until 2 key is pressed thanks to it being flat. Use team as HP and don't be solo playing with it. try and angle armour a lot including turret whilst bobbing forwards and backwards. I guess because it's slow you are better off pushing were there are teammates or look for an opportunity to fight a flank were there is 50/50 chance of winning it. That way you can farm the damage and hold the flank for a while even if it means losing it. The only time I get obliterated by this tank is 

1) when it has team mates

2) I can't out DPM

There. Now you can't say I didn't try. Maybe someone who plays the tank has better advice :sceptic:

pecopad #8 Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:50 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22392 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

If the type 4 does not work, what to say about other tanks....

Just angle it and push the w key, play it like a heavy tank to push forward. Go to the heavy tank corridor and push.

This type of tanks should not play support, nor snipe,  yet I've seen players doing it.

I'm not a very good player, and don't enjoy the super heavies playstyle, but playing a Type 4 or a Maus shouldn't be that hard. Monster Armour, Monster HP pool, good Guns.

You are supposed to push or die trying... You do your role and hope the support tanks do theirs, which is to cover your flanks.

Edited by pecopad, 07 November 2017 - 02:52 PM.

_EXODUZ_ #9 Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:50 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34617 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Thejagdpanther #10 Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:53 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34055 battles
  • [TKBS] TKBS

Like everyone say or write on forums should be an extremaly easy tank... RRR yolo and it win games alone.

But guess what...

Bucifel #11 Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29529 battles
  • [JDUN] JDUN

you simply cant play it constantly well while gold ammo is here untouched.

all what you can is to hope for matches with you as top tier or with normal enemys, not idiot goldspammers.

i still enjoy mine just because tier 9 have SMM and sometimes i still meet normal players what play this game without p2w ammo.

and i play it with 14cm gun...600 alpha on tier 9...almost like E100 but on tier 9.

Edited by Bucifel, 07 November 2017 - 02:58 PM.

Keyhand #12 Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:54 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 59599 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

Free XP the top gun, load only gold and never forget to splash below well armored targets instead of shooting their armor directly.

After that, uninstall the game because you realize how horrifiyngly stupid this tank is.

pecopad #13 Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22392 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

View PostThejagdpanther, on 07 November 2017 - 02:53 PM, said:

Like everyone say or write on forums should be an extremaly easy tank... RRR yolo and it win games alone.

But guess what...

Most of the Type 4 and Maus players play like they are on a French heavy tank?

They go to the Mediums corridor to stomp them, and they are surprised they are flanked?

They don't leave base, don't push, don't face the other super heavies and then are surprised they cannot take the whole enemy team?

Ceeb #14 Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:59 PM

Major General

• Beta Tester
  • 30079 battles

View PostEmperorSafirius, on 07 November 2017 - 01:35 PM, said:

So after an almost 60% WR grind on the O-HO, i finally bought the Type 4, which i was really looking forward to.

Yeah..where to start,

slow and very unagile, anything can flank you, while the bad cammo makes sure that everything will spot you.

The armor...seems to be useless for anything except tier 8s that don't shoot premium ammo. Anything else seems to easily pen me on the flat surface, and everymatch, I get penned at least once through the turret front cheeks.

How do you guys play this tank, when you're always the last one to arrive at a flank because of the slow speed, and unable to relocate anywhere.

​Treat it like a Claymore,  as soon as you broadside... your dead.

The_Georgian_One #15 Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:00 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35225 battles
  • [KOFN] KOFN

You're supposed to be a smoking wreck by the end of the match. Just make sure it takes the opposite team long enough to kill you to give your team the time to win the game.

Tiger_Panzermeyer #16 Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:05 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9075 battles

View PostEmperorSafirius, on 07 November 2017 - 02:35 PM, said:

Yeah..where to start,

type 4 is a pos,slow,big as a barn,gets ammo racked often and it's armor is useless since people press 2.

Aikl #17 Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:10 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25167 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostDava_117, on 07 November 2017 - 01:42 PM, said:

(...)

BTW leggassini is the jap HT expert, so I will summon it with a tea cerimony, to help you!

Tea? More like [edited] Type 4 [edited] [edited] [edited]! [edited]! Derp gun is [edited] broken. [edited] [edited] Wargaming [edited]. [EDITED!!11oen]

Jokes aside, while you can't sidescrape due to the armor layout, neither can the enemy against a Type 4. Slow speed... well, it's supposed to be a bit less of an issue because the enemy also gets a dum-dum superheavy. In practice it doesn't help that much, nor does it actually work half the time. I think the slow speed is something one has to accept when playing superheavies, it's arguably their most relevant weakness. Forumites channel and play in platoons might help to gain some staying power. 

(While I think the Type 4 is kind of dumb anyway, it would make a lot of sense for a tank to exchange agility/local mobility, which the superheavies have plenty of, for better top speed. Adjust armor and DPM as required for a tank that can reach suitable positions, yet has mobility as its primary weakness. Secondary weakness would be DPM; idea is to apply some form of counterplay to it; in that case r-tardproof frontal armor and shoulders is somewhat less of an issue. Sounds dumb, but after realizing how stupidly quick the O-Ni is at peeking corners and smashing hulldown T9s and superheavies frontally for 3-500 damage, you kind of realize where the problems are. Besides the stupid gun, of course, but I don't see either of the credit sink features of the Japanese superheavies disappear anytime soon.)

View PostTiger_Panzermeyer, on 07 November 2017 - 02:05 PM, said:

type 4 is a pos,slow,big as a barn,gets ammo racked often and it's armor is useless since people press 2.

Making a tank with no actual frontal weakspots and a gun that deals damage effectively every time it hits makes premium ammo the only real counterplay. It's a dumb tank for sure, but it would be bad manners to not return the favour. I'm perfectly fine with flanking Defenders and Mauschens, but if that thing decides that it wants to autopen my frontal armor, I'm gonna do that as well. Well, not for the Defender, of course. Haha, silly idea.

Edited by Aikl, 07 November 2017 - 03:17 PM.

Cobra6 #18 Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:17 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16332 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Angle? Like any tank with flat armour (E-100, KV-4, Maus etc.).

But better yet, don't add to the problem this game has, don't play the Type4 and Type5.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 07 November 2017 - 03:18 PM.

unrealname #19 Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21774 battles

View PostBucifel, on 07 November 2017 - 03:54 PM, said:

you simply cant play it constantly well while gold ammo is here untouched.

all what you can is to hope for matches with you as top tier or with normal enemys, not idiot goldspammers.

i still enjoy mine just because tier 9 have SMM and sometimes i still meet normal players what play this game without p2w ammo.

and i play it with 14cm gun...600 alpha on tier 9...almost like E100 but on tier 9.

So you think that u should be able to roll everything with your broken piece of crap toy, called type heavy? its called Alco tank for a reason on russian server, it perfectly suits a playstyle of drunk moron. until they make an actual weakspots on those jap heavies, i will keep shooting prem ammo at them without even trying to pen with regular shells, wgs business plan works as intended in this case. Only idiot will waste time bouncing on type heavy, just spam it with heat and get to the next target. im glad to hear that u suffer in it, thats what u deserve for playing it.

p.s. talking about idiots spamming prem ammo at your poor type, so u are saying that type heavies are not p2w with  HE shells that get 25% more dmg just by pressing 2 key? You are THE idiot, sir.

Edited by Bond90, 07 November 2017 - 03:21 PM.

pecopad #20 Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22392 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

View PostTiger_Panzermeyer, on 07 November 2017 - 03:05 PM, said:

What are you talking about. Type 4 has almost 300 mm effective Armour in front with a little angling, no glaring weakspots. With a T30, a Tortoise or a T95 it is almost impossible to pen with gold if you angle it right. Very few tier 8 tanks can pen you...

And then you have a monster gun....

Its the most "idiot proof" tank you can have

Edited by pecopad, 07 November 2017 - 03:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users