• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Bobby_Berov #1 Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:52 PM

Private

• Player
  • 7692 battles
  • [BG4KM] BG4KM

Hello beloved studio,

I was wondering about a game from your past (if the information on Wiki is correct), that for some or other reasons is unplayable under Windows 10 and newer hardware today and is one that I loved playing some 10 or more years ago. The monstrosity in question is Supreme commander 1 + expansion. So my legitimate question is - will there be a remastered edition in the coming years or some delayed patch that makes this ultimately better than "Ashes of Creation" title playable in Win 10 with modern hardware? 

I am well aware the support is discontinued, but it's impossible to play it today, even if I wanted to. :(

Salutations

Bobby  

Aikl #2 Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:34 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25701 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Judging from a quick search, there are actually users who manage to run SC and expansion(s?) on Windows 10.

Compatability modes (including display scaling and visual elements) and administrator rights usually makes games run.

Screen resolution can also cause troubles, as can dual graphics cards that are featured on many (most) laptops, as well as dual monitors. Updating DirectX can also prove helpful, in particular if you experience error messages (W10 lacks some legacy parts of DX). It might also be how W10 handles access to the system for programs, but I doubt it if others make it run.

Feel free to post a description of your system (or the model number of the laptop; even if there usually are multiple variations) and what kind of error/behaviour you experience. Most games can be made to run through some efforts. There might also be an user-made patch that makes the game more compatible (it's not uncommon). There is also the possibility that the Steam version works less good than the original game, for whatever reason, so consider finding a non-Steam version on the 'bay if you've bought it already.

Reddit and the official FAForever (popular mod) forums might prove useful if we can't figure it out. 

Edited by Aikl, 09 November 2017 - 08:38 AM.

Balc0ra #3 Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:59 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66549 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Is this the boxed copy or steam version of the game? I have both, not played or used the boxed copy of both SC 1 or 2 for years to confirm any issues with that. I have however used the steam version with no issues on Win 10. Inc the expansion. I had it installed not to long ago, and currently have SC2 installed right now, working just fine via steam. Heck even the sequel "total annihilation" from 96 is on steam and works 100% just fine on win 10.

Tho I modded my steam versions to get the UI more simplistic. But that's about it.

Pansenmann #4 Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:53 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34360 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I also have the steam version of SC2 installed :)

played it a lot back then when it was fresh and new,

but my PC was lacking power so it was a slide-show after some time.

Bobby_Berov #5 Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:06 PM

Private

• Player
  • 7692 battles
  • [BG4KM] BG4KM

Thank you for answering,

let's begin... 1st - I have a laptop (ASUS ROG with i7 6700HQ; 16GB RAM and GTX 960m 4GB; win 10); 2nd -  the error is the same as with a box copy, the arrow is unmovable. I've tried everything that I could find on the web. No result for me. I don't like spending money for nothing, so I will not purchase the Steam copy until it's safe (I live in a poor country and don't have a rich daddy). There is also a problem with the sound/s and some graphical glitches. The "bay" suggestion won't work, cause I don't use it. If I understand correctly, Aikl, you want me to pirate it. What's the point in it?! I can already tell you that it won't even start the game, cause the files are older that the latest version. NOT GOIN" TO HAPPPEN. 

Balk0ra, It may run without problems on older hardware (before 2010~11), but did you try running it under a similar to my machine (a multi-core (4+) processor)? I bet you'll get a problem.

Pansenmann, it runs awsome under Win XP, a Pentium D 3.2~3.4GHz, 2 GB RAM, Nv GTS 8600m 512MB. 

TsundereWaffle #6 Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:27 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27233 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View PostBobby_Berov, on 12 November 2017 - 12:06 PM, said:

Thank you for answering,

let's begin... 1st - I have a laptop (ASUS ROG with i7 6700HQ; 16GB RAM and GTX 960m 4GB; win 10); 2nd -  the error is the same as with a box copy, the arrow is unmovable. I've tried everything that I could find on the web. No result for me. I don't like spending money for nothing, so I will not purchase the Steam copy until it's safe (I live in a poor country and don't have a rich daddy). There is also a problem with the sound/s and some graphical glitches. The "bay" suggestion won't work, cause I don't use it. If I understand correctly, Aikl, you want me to pirate it. What's the point in it?! I can already tell you that it won't even start the game, cause the files are older that the latest version. NOT GOIN" TO HAPPPEN. 

Balk0ra, It may run without problems on older hardware (before 2010~11), but did you try running it under a similar to my machine (a multi-core (4+) processor)? I bet you'll get a problem.

Pansenmann, it runs awsome under Win XP, a Pentium D 3.2~3.4GHz, 2 GB RAM, Nv GTS 8600m 512MB. 

if the steam version doesn't work you can just refund the game

Also tagged with game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users