Where to install coated optics?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

RandomBlank #1 Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:37 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10346 battles

I've always played with binocs, considering coated optics underperforming and overpriced in comparison. Binocs+camo net+ventillation on LTs,  Binocs+camo net+rammer on paper TDs (not playing assault TDs), rammer+gun laying drive+ventillation on MTs and heavies, camo, rammer and stabilizer on arty...

Recently, though, I won two coated optics through missions... and I don't know where they'd serve me best. Suggestions?

cragarion #2 Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:43 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 44074 battles

Use them in tanks you wont camp in,

If you have good armor and like to be up front use optics,

if you have weak armor and prefer to snipe use binoculars.

Edit: and for scouts if you like to get up front fast then camp to spot use binocs,

if you like to drive around up and down ridges and every thing to spot use optics.

Edited by cragarion, 10 November 2017 - 06:45 PM.

Yakito #3 Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18873 battles

If you are mobile use Coated Optics

If you are pathetic use Binoculars.

Edited by Yakito, 10 November 2017 - 06:47 PM.

jdc302 #4 Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:49 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 14935 battles

View PostYakito, on 10 November 2017 - 05:47 PM, said:

If you are mobile use Coated Optics

If you are pathetic use Binoculars.

Love the answer in combination with your picture.

Edited by jdc302, 10 November 2017 - 06:53 PM.

tank276 #5 Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 50083 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostRandomBlank, on 10 November 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

I've always played with binocs, considering coated optics underperforming and overpriced in comparison. Binocs+camo net+ventillation on LTs,  Binocs+camo net+rammer on paper TDs (not playing assault TDs), rammer+gun laying drive+ventillation on MTs and heavies, camo, rammer and stabilizer on arty...

Recently, though, I won two coated optics through missions... and I don't know where they'd serve me best. Suggestions?

For me a must have in all higher tier light tanks (if u play lights) and some "scouting" meds that have good stock viewrange (Patton).

I would like to point out that your gun laying drive could be substituted with a vertical stabilizer on the mediums.

RandomBlank #6 Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:21 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10346 battles
Does it make sense on a Lowe?

ZlatanArKung #7 Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:42 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles
Ehh??

Optics is better then binos on everything except campy TDs.

But in general, these 2 should be your first 2 equipments on all tanks.

Rammer - V-stab.

Then you can pick between.
Vents and optics.

spamhamstar #8 Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:59 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 64310 battles
  • [LLAY] LLAY

I'd suggest having optics on pretty much everything apart from arty & some TD's.

Binos only work after you've been stationary for 3 seconds, so offer you no advantage while moving. For any scout without optics you should expect to be out spotted when you're moving, as you can be fairly sure the enemy scouts will be using them.  Apart from on a couple of maps, there's very few locations you would normally expect to sit in for any legnth of time to make it worth having binos fitted.  Lower tier lights would benefit more from having binos due to having reduced base view range & I did play the elc with both optics & binos.  However, once I get to tier 7/8, I don't use binos at all, apart from when I was completing some of the personal missions.

Remember if you're spotting the targets yourself then you're also getting more xp for any damage that you do.  So it's worth having the increased view range on meds & heavies as well.  View range becomes even more critical in the late game when there are fewer tanks on the battle field & usually more spread out.  Having even an extra 5% view range can make the difference between having a free 1st shot or the enemy getting 1.

I realise there's different approaches to this game & hiding at the back may be your thing.  If so, then binos might be of more of a benefit, but generally your more aggressive team mates will be spotting any enemies for you anyway so you really don't need either binos or optics then.

Slyspy #9 Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:16 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14202 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Like the binocs a GLD also requires you to be still in order to use it. While this may suggest a certain synergy it has to be said that on most vehicle types (ie the ones in which you use WASD) it is of limited value. Especially given that VS are better. 

Uebergewicht #10 Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles

View PostRandomBlank, on 10 November 2017 - 07:21 PM, said:

Does it make sense on a Lowe?

Definitely. The Löwe has great base view range, and maxing it out is surprisingly effective when collecting assisted damage. The Löwe also has a good enough gun to engage enemies he spots far away. A hull-down Löwe with view range basically becomes a sentry turret.

RandomBlank #11 Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:13 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10346 battles

View Postspamhamstar, on 10 November 2017 - 07:59 PM, said:

I realise there's different approaches to this game & hiding at the back may be your thing.  If so, then binos might be of more of a benefit, but generally your more aggressive team mates will be spotting any enemies for you anyway so you really don't need either binos or optics then.

Binocs are godsent on invisible paper TDs like Borsig. I can out-spot anyone from a bush, back up behind double bush, and take them out without ever getting spotted. Also, when playing with clan, if our dedicated scout is killed, I can serve as a makeshift scout, just staying invisible near our cap while the team picks the enemies out from a safe distance.

...plus it's the cheap option on tanks I don't plan to keep. If I have a med I'm just "passing through", especially still with stock gun, I install camo net and binocs and if there play like a slightly overweight scout, especially if there are no good opportunities to flank or I'm bottom tier.

Spurtung #12 Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:41 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 63824 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostRandomBlank, on 10 November 2017 - 07:37 PM, said:

I've always played with binocs, considering coated optics underperforming and overpriced in comparison.

I totally agree, that's why:

Bennie182 #13 Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:52 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 53739 battles
  • [WGL-A] WGL-A
binos are useless on a lot of tanks, as you always need to sit still for some time to be able to create your own viewrange. use it on frontline tanks.

Merton15 #14 Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:32 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 13863 battles
I only use binos on TDs or if I can't think of anything more useful. Good passive spotting positions are few and far between, so active scouting is usually more productive and that needs optics and skills. On slow heavies I wouldn't bother with GLD or even VS as you are likely to be at close quarters anyway. Spall lining is useful in MHO, it delays your demise from the inevitable hail of arty shells, matched with rammer and vents. Spall liners should reduce damage from HESH, anyone know if they actually do?

thestaggy #15 Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:47 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14906 battles

Optics > Binos everyday and twice on Sundays.

Optics work 100% of the time. The minute you touch your WASD keys your binos stop working.

Edited by thestaggy, 11 November 2017 - 12:47 PM.

lord_chipmonk #16 Posted 11 November 2017 - 01:33 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33952 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

TBH I think you guys are over simplifying things somewhat. Binos offer 2 main advantages over optics.

1) They are not complex equipment. So, you don't need a set per tank but rather just a couple of sets for your whole garage. Also makes them good for a "pauper" set of equipment for new players. 

2) They allow low-mid tier tanks, especially those where the crews are not god-like to hit max view range cap. An extra 10% of trash is still trash, but an extra 25% can make the view ranges respectable. 

Slyspy #17 Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:01 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14202 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postlord_chipmonk, on 11 November 2017 - 01:33 PM, said:

TBH I think you guys are over simplifying things somewhat. Binos offer 2 main advantages over optics.

1) They are not complex equipment. So, you don't need a set per tank but rather just a couple of sets for your whole garage. Also makes them good for a "pauper" set of equipment for new players. 

2) They allow low-mid tier tanks, especially those where the crews are not god-like to hit max view range cap. An extra 10% of trash is still trash, but an extra 25% can make the view ranges respectable. 

Absolutely true of course. It isn't worth putting optics on a tank which costs less than they do unless you are going to keep it. But not that the OP says "always" and he has reached tier ten. 

Phobos4321 #18 Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:06 PM

General

• Player
  • 43226 battles

also the moment you find the opportunity to passive spot  every moving scout will have a bad time sinceyou will outspot him by at least 15% while you might make use of a bush to push your camo further so he will have a bad time approaching you  when hes spotted shot and killed first

if its maps like himmelsdorf  optics and binos might be similar pointless

vasilinhorulezz #19 Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22813 battles

View PostRandomBlank, on 10 November 2017 - 06:37 PM, said:

View range wins matches, although in a lot of tanks, like heavies that mostly brawl, view range is not that important for the first part of the game, but in the later stages it actually pay for the costs by allowing you to spot before you get spotted.

Anyway, everything with good base view range can benefit from optics plus a good crew, but mostly you want it on tanks that being mobile like mediums and lights, because you don't really like the range drop when moving that binos have.

Ps. don't run high tier lights with camo and binos :).

Spurtung #20 Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:18 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 63824 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostPhobos4321, on 11 November 2017 - 03:06 PM, said:

also the moment you find the opportunity to passive spot  every moving scout will have a bad time sinceyou will outspot him by at least 15% while you might make use of a bush to push your camo further so he will have a bad time approaching you  when hes spotted shot and killed first

if its maps like himmelsdorf  optics and binos might be similar pointless

Meanwhile, that active scout has been keeping the enemy team lit and getting shot, while the bush wanker keeps rolling his thumbs waiting for someone to make the mistake of getting closer to obvious spotting spots.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users