What is the point of artillery?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

Chickenbroncitis #1 Posted 11 November 2017 - 05:07 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4835 battles
  • [VVLSC] VVLSC
For all Ive played World of Tanks over the past year I still dont get the point of artillery in the game.  Is it to make the maps smaller than they actually are by limiting where you can move to without being targeted??  At the moment they seem just as flawed as the Swedish  TD.  They are just like invisible killers.  Its like WG thought they had a good idea but then realised they didnt know what to do with it.  I just dont get what artillery is there for. Ive played artillery to see and I just dont get it.  Maybe Im missing something.

Spurtung #2 Posted 11 November 2017 - 05:10 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 61581 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

Boom, stun, assisted damage, win.

That's basically it.

Balc0ra #3 Posted 11 November 2017 - 05:11 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64272 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
Creates traffic on the forum due to all the whiners. I mean whit out it, this place would be dead.

Chickenbroncitis #4 Posted 11 November 2017 - 05:57 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4835 battles
  • [VVLSC] VVLSC

View PostSpurtung, on 11 November 2017 - 05:10 AM, said:

Boom, stun, assisted damage, win.

That's basically it.

are they there just so players can sit back, relax and get credits??? Farming machines?

Shaade_Silentpaw #5 Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:35 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 22014 battles

View PostChickenbroncitis, on 11 November 2017 - 04:57 AM, said:

are they there just so players can sit back, relax and get credits??? Farming machines?

They are there to "discourage camping", and are "necessary to combat super heavies", from what I've been told. :rolleyes:

leggasiini #6 Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:50 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12302 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
TO DISCOURAGE CAMPING AND PROMOTE DYNAMIC GAMEPLAY WEEEE

Gremlin182 #7 Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:52 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 46606 battles

You should be asking what is the point of artillery threads.

They are there to break stalemate situations, sometimes you know exactly where an enemy tank or tanks are but there is little you can do about it.

What you can sometimes do is light them up and let either a sniper or arty take them out or make them back off and give up the position.

However if the enemy tank is skilled sniping with direct fire is often ineffective.

Remove indirect fire and you are pretty much saying that there are going to be games where a single tank can lock down an approach and there is nothing you can do about it.

Do they promote camping, yes to some extent but that's mostly down to player inexperience as camping does not make you safe from arty if anything it makes you vulnerable to arty and there are plenty of games where there are no arty but players still camp.

Lack of teamwork promotes camping far more, players advance get shot from ambush so they learn to be cautious and let someone else go forward first, look at the average game on prokorovka.

Edited by Gremlin182, 11 November 2017 - 07:53 AM.

Orkbert #8 Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:54 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25179 battles

View PostChickenbroncitis, on 11 November 2017 - 05:07 AM, said:

Is it to make the maps smaller than they actually are by limiting where you can move to without being targeted?

So it is not all the other tanks with their faster reload, better accuracy and often enough more alpha damage which deny the usage of the area? Please show us replays of arty-free matches in which tanks rush over open fields without getting torn to shreds by the enemy.

Yaccay #9 Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:58 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31928 battles

The main purpose of arty in WoT: make snowflakes to cry more often.

fears.jpg

Terte5 #10 Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:37 AM

Private

• Player
  • 33155 battles

The only point is that the weak and frustrated players to have access to a class of vehicles that is SUPER-easy to play ( click ) and in the process to be able to do big amount of damage and stun and for that to get the satisfaction they need it.

I don't think WG is making lots of money from arty players. 3 arty per game as i see lately with this crapstun mechanic and with fast reload and aim is killing their OWN game. The problem with WG is that they don't play their game CONSISTENTLY !

Then they will realize that good people (actually tank players) leaves Wot bc of arty. Imagine a battle without heavy's and meds...only 15 vs 15 arty ! and in contrast imagine a battle without arty. We can play without arty but arty cant play without tanks!

This is World of tanks !

If the WG staff would play their game they will realize that destroying tier8 MM will stop their income for T8 premium tanks ! 

Anyway....it is what it is !

PowJay #11 Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:57 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34909 battles

I have not played a single game in arty since the introduction of the stun mechanic. Before this, my impression of SPGs was that they were there to put down even the heaviest, most-dangerous enemies with indirect fire.

Now that I see direct SPG hits take away about 50HP, at tier VIII, this means that SPGs are now significantly reliant on a team in an OFFENSIVE manner. Whereas before, they could hit hard, they were only reliant on a team to find enemies and DEFEND the SPG.

Considering that the same enemies that SPGs were intended to damage and kill are now immune to fire from lighter vehicles AND artillery, I have to ask the same question as the OP. I am just damn glad that I finished the T-55a PMs for SPGs before the change.

ZlatanArKung #12 Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:16 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles

View PostOrkbert, on 11 November 2017 - 07:54 AM, said:

So it is not all the other tanks with their faster reload, better accuracy and often enough more alpha damage which deny the usage of the area? Please show us replays of arty-free matches in which tanks rush over open fields without getting torn to shreds by the enemy.

Tanks cant hit through ground or hills afaik.

Arty denies certain areas.

Without arty, you can play mid ridge on Prokhorovka pretty aggressive. With 3 arty, you can' for example.

ZlatanArKung #13 Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:17 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles

View PostTerte5, on 11 November 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

The only point is that the weak and frustrated players to have access to a class of vehicles that is SUPER-easy to play ( click ) and in the process to be able to do big amount of damage and stun and for that to get the satisfaction they need it.

I don't think WG is making lots of money from arty players. 3 arty per game as i see lately with this crapstun mechanic and with fast reload and aim is killing their OWN game. The problem with WG is that they don't play their game CONSISTENTLY !

Then they will realize that good people (actually tank players) leaves Wot bc of arty. Imagine a battle without heavy's and meds...only 15 vs 15 arty ! and in contrast imagine a battle without arty. We can play without arty but arty cant play without tanks!

This is World of tanks !

If the WG staff would play their game they will realize that destroying tier8 MM will stop their income for T8 premium tanks ! 

Arty should be limited to 14-15 / game.

VarzA #14 Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:20 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18081 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

View PostChickenbroncitis, on 11 November 2017 - 05:07 AM, said:

For all Ive played World of Tanks over the past year I still dont get the point of artillery in the game.  Is it to make the maps smaller than they actually are by limiting where you can move to without being targeted??  At the moment they seem just as flawed as the Swedish  TD.  They are just like invisible killers.  Its like WG thought they had a good idea but then realised they didnt know what to do with it.  I just dont get what artillery is there for. Ive played artillery to see and I just dont get it.  Maybe Im missing something.

So overpowered tanks like the CDC have something to fear.

Without artillery in the game, superheavies like the CDC would dominate each and every battle.

PS: Replace 'CDC' with whatever med/light you like.

Edited by VarzA, 11 November 2017 - 09:23 AM.

Blubba #15 Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:34 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 52543 battles
To mass produce threads on the forum?

Bennie182 #16 Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:47 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 51455 battles
they are here so you can make the 1001st spamming topic about arty

Jigabachi #17 Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:20 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17858 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
They exist to test if you are bright enough to use the search function.

You failed the test.
Bad RNG for three months incoming.

Edited by Jigabachi, 11 November 2017 - 10:55 AM.

Hammerhead20 #18 Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:27 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25370 battles

What's the point?

To annoy and ruin other players gameplay...

Phobos4321 #19 Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:33 AM

General

• Player
  • 43082 battles

View PostTerte5, on 11 November 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

This is World of tanks !

bigamount of damage that one was good ... you work as comedian ?

you could play every tank with pressing 3x "r" and waiting to die would you call that exactly hard ?

so they arent making money?   let me guess you dont use large medkits  to end the stuns you get ...

Block Quote

Then they will realize that good people (actually tank players) leaves Wot bc of arty

lol hard on this again -    good players adapt, statpadders whine   even more if you look at how insignificant arties are now for the gameplay

Phobos4321 #20 Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:46 AM

General

• Player
  • 43082 battles

View PostHammerhead20, on 11 November 2017 - 10:27 AM, said:

What's the point?

To annoy and ruin other players gameplay...

and i thought that was the goal  for every tank

winning by ruining the enemies game ...

im really sick of such hypocrite empathic (of course only if arty is involved)  heroes  

are you so a nice player?

thinking so much about your enemy ?

dont kill low hp tanks?

letting him kill you  so he has a nice game ?

dont gang up  on a single enemy? 

dont try to cap when you are alone vs 5 slow enemies?

enemy and its wellbeing is more important than yours or your teams ?

so basically you are nicer than the smurfs, gummybears or my lil pony together ?

oh wait so why does he makes 56& of his enemies unhappy? why does he make 2,3 players unhappy for every player he makes happy with allowing it to kill him ?

let me sum it up you give a f*** about the wellbeing or fun of your enemies   just want to show off some fake empathic point of view

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users