MM matchmaking xvm playerstats

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

mQuse #1 Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:55 PM

Private

• Player
  • 6376 battles
  • [LV_] LV_
After 6k of fights I have a question. Why MM does not depend from player stat equal with player tank. I mean, if mm try to get similar tanks versus each other, why can't it make similar skilled player to play in both teams? 
There are two screenshots from one battle. The start and the end.
And such battles are all the time. You have very low skilled players and lose 0(0-5)-15, or you have well skilled players and win 15-0(0-5). 

P.S. I'm newbie, I'm not skilled, but even me feel the difference btw 44% player or at least 50% player.

Attached Files

• Attached File   shot_004.jpg   1004.71K
  • Attached File   shot_005.jpg   847.1K

Edited by mQuse, 13 November 2017 - 08:56 PM.

magkiln #2 Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:16 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21654 battles
  • [EKKE] EKKE

This has been discussed any number of times already, but here goes:

MM based on skill sounds good in theory, but in practice there are some problems. Even if WG were willing to do it, it is not so easy to measure skill. Sure, someone with a 70 percent winrate is probably quite good (although I've seen a weird case where someone played exclusively in a T-127 and ended up with a 75 percent winrate, despite being a poor player), but that's not what the majority of players are at. At say 48-52 percent, which is where the majority of players can be found, it's too easy to pat stats by playing a handful of somewhat OP tanks. (Just play a thousand games in a Hellcat, or a KV-1 and watch what happens.) And that's not even mentioning the skewed results you can get by platooning every game.

The same applies to WG's player status or the WN8 rating. The WG status depends too much on winrate, which is not necessarily a measure of skill, because it depends more on the team than the player. That one is easy to pad by platooning with better players. WN8 depends on damage and kills, but you can pad it by sitting at the back while the team dies, then farming damage and kills, also there are variations in the way it's calculated, which you see if you look up your own stats on noobmeter, wotlab and wot-life (all three give different numbers).

Also, if you base MM on player skills, even if you can measure that, how do you balance it? Does one unicum balance three above-average players? Do you wait until there are two unicums available? And then it depends on how you distribute them. Put a unicum in a stock Churchill 7 in a tier 8 match, and he won't have much impact. But that same unicum in a fully upgraded Comet can turn a tier 7 game around. On top of that, what do you use for the MM? The player's overall stats or his stats in that particular tank?

There is no good solution. The MM is complicated enough as it is, what with the attempt to make a 3:5:7 game, and distribute TDs evenly, and balance the superheavies. I can see the appeal. IN fact, there have been many games, where I was raging behind my monitor as I saw a team die, but I'm not sure that messing further with the MM will solve anything.

Edited by magkiln, 14 November 2017 - 12:49 PM.

Hammerhead20 #3 Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25210 battles

Matcmaking is crap. It will always remain as a crap.

We just have to live with that...

Gremlin182 #4 Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:45 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 42159 battles

You can attempt to balance maps though players will adapt and find new ways to unbalance them again so its a constant process.

Same with tanks add a tank and you create balancing issues with tanks already in the game.

New tanks especially premium tanks always have to be better than tanks already in the game otherwise how will you sell them or encourage players to grind them.

Then you need to rebalance older tanks so they keep up.

All of that messes with the MM and fixing it is a constant process and while its being fixed we have to just live with it.

I wouldn't mind so much if rewards for the game were based much more on personal achievement than happening to be on the winning side.

I don't want to be rewarded so much for the luck of having a good team carry me or a bad enemy team throw the game away.

A little bonus is ok, but I do want to have the sting of a run of bad games reduced by getting a bonus for doing well in a bad game.

Asklepi0s #5 Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:05 PM

• 2719 battles
  • [WG_M] WG_M
Due to the high number of Match Making, we want discussions to take place in the main pinned thread here.

Also tagged with MM, matchmaking, xvm, playerstats

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users