Toptip: Dont get stuck in your tanks 'role'.

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

brumbarr #1 Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:19 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Just a little tip to get better results and win more: dont get stuck in the role of your tank. Be flexible, you can do everything in every tank.

To win games, you do NOT do what your tank does best, you do what the situation requires you to do and is possible with your tanks features. Be creative, be flexible, go to the city in a light tank if needed, go spot with a maus, go frontline brawling with an su12254 etc. Dont be the guy that camps all the time because its a sniper tank, or that goes city in a heavy because its a heavy tank, even though that part of the map is useless.

Try to reevaluate the situation constantly.

A greta example is a game I had yesterday:

http://wotreplays.eu...e/3937996#stats

Conway on lakeville. THe game starts, I plan to snipe the tanks crossing. But then I look at the situation: noone is planning to spot. I have a tank with decent speed, good VR and  i dont see a threat from the enemy team going mid. 

So I decide to go to the middle road in lakeville to spot with my conway. Doing a LTs job. With great succes, I get 3 tanks lit and 2.6K spotting in total.  

All that because I was flexible and didnt think: "  I am TD, must kemp!".

Note: after that I did suck out, I was too greedy and peeked for no reason, all i had to do is wait  a bit untill the BC got killed. I also underestimated the WTs reload.

Ze_HOFF_fverhoef #2 Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:22 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 14891 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postbrumbarr, on 14 November 2017 - 11:19 AM, said:

Just a little tip to get better results and win more: dont get stuck in the role of your tank. Be flexible, you can do everything in every tank.

To win games, you do NOT do what your tank does best, you do what the situation requires you to do and is possible with your tanks features. Be creative, be flexible, go to the city in a light tank if needed, go spot with a maus, go frontline brawling with an su12254 etc. Dont be the guy that camps all the time because its a sniper tank, or that goes city in a heavy because its a heavy tank, even though that part of the map is useless.

Conway on lakeville. THe game starts, I plan to snipe the tanks crossing. But then I look at the situation: noone is planning to spot. I have a tank with decent speed, good VR and  i dont see a threat from the enemy team going mid. 

So I decide to go to the middle road in lakeville to spot with my conway. Doing a LTs job. With great succes, I get 3 tanks lit and 2.6K spotting in total.  

Note: after that I did suck out, I was too greedy and peeked for no reason, all i had to do is wait  a bit untill the BC got killed. I also underestimated the WTs reload.

Totally agree... I've done active scouting in a Strv S1 before ;)

TungstenHitman #3 Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:34 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18699 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

View PostZe_HOFF_fverhoef, on 14 November 2017 - 11:22 AM, said:

Ya, I've scouted like a boss in a Hetzer while also facehug brawled a Type5 to death with a UDES... wait... nope... no I did not

Edited by TungstenHitman, 14 November 2017 - 12:34 PM.

qpranger #4 Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:37 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 30767 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

OP is so right, for instance I sometimes scout with arty.

Towards the end of the match, because no one else dares.

tumppi776 #5 Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:44 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 40866 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

I wont sensei.

I'm not driving my RU heavies into Heavy Brawl anymore - trying to get my team killed so i can try HT15 :trollface:

... and ocs got 85% session wins

The_Georgian_One #6 Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:46 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33831 battles
  • [KOFN] KOFN

I often brawl and snipe with my light tanks, does this count? :hiding:

Just kidding. It's a valuable tip. Problem is that people have to take into consideration multiple variables before making a decision to go out of the comfort zone of the typical mindset. Like you did in Conway.

People rarely even look at team composition before the game to realize that they should be doing something that is non-standard. Not to mention 'I'm a TD, I have to camp' mindset.

Edited by The_Georgian_One, 14 November 2017 - 12:47 PM.

Mimos_A #7 Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:50 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21444 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L

Well it's the way of the tomato isn't it. Just take your heavy into the "heavy lane" and ignore the fact that it's a) a completely irrelevant place on the map to contest and b) the enemy has a massive advantage in heavy armour.

It's just lovely to see some scrub whine in chat about the other heavies that actually used their brain and went somewhere else.

But I guess it's very scary for a lot of people to have to think about a situation and make a decision rather than do that one thing cause that's what I'm supposed to do.

brumbarr #8 Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:50 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostThe_Georgian_One, on 14 November 2017 - 12:46 PM, said:

I often brawl and snipe with my light tanks, does this count? :hiding:

Just kidding. It's a valuable tip. Problem is that people have to take into consideration multiple variables before making a decision to go out of the comfort zone of the typical mindset. Like you did in Conway.

People rarely even look at team composition before the game to realize that they should be doing something that is non-standard. Not to mention 'I'm a TD, I have to camp' mindset.

yeah, you have to be able to read the situations before you do things like this, otherwise you will horriblly fail.

LikePike #9 Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:51 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 39929 battles
  • [GEN] GEN

View PostZe_HOFF_fverhoef, on 14 November 2017 - 01:22 PM, said:

This is how you get 3 MoE on swedish TDs, nothing special. :facepalm:

This one is just stupid:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/3937136

uglycousin #10 Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:05 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 42641 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

View Postbrumbarr, on 14 November 2017 - 01:19 PM, said:

Agreed. This kind of move can sometimes change the outcome of a battle. Or you die fast.

I once spotted the hill and the center ridge on Prokhorovka in a KV-2 while being bottom tiered. :) Got over 2k assist (maybe even 3k overall with what I managed to snatch at the end) that made the difference. 

(it was before I had money to put equipment on it so I only had binoculars cuz why not ... and they did the trick just right with the right bush work :D )

The_Georgian_One #11 Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:06 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33831 battles
  • [KOFN] KOFN

View Postbrumbarr, on 14 November 2017 - 12:50 PM, said:

yeah, you have to be able to read the situations before you do things like this, otherwise you will horriblly fail.

This in my mind distinguishes good player from bad one. I recently watched LemmingRush brawling in city on Siegfried Line. With Leo 1. This had substantial impact on how the game developed and helped his team win. He could have camped and sniped (isn't it what Leo is made for)? But that would reduce his damage output potential and it would probably mean his teammates are going to die.

Way too often people refuse to brawl in lightly armored vehicles effectively limiting their team's firepower and not sparing their hit points to save team mates. Extreme example of this is people sitting on red line with JPZE100s (not really lightly armored, but you get the memo). 9/10 lost game for their team.

Ze_HOFF_fverhoef #12 Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:06 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 14891 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostLikePike, on 14 November 2017 - 11:51 AM, said:

This is how you get 3 MoE on swedish TDs, nothing special. :facepalm:

This one is just stupid:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/3937136

It just came out of necessity. It was on Malinovka, where we had the hill, but no one was scouting for all the snipers (mostly heavy tanks) on the hill. So I just work one of the ridge lines around c6, to scout the enemy tanks just across the other side and in their base. Worked like a charm.

Works for me, as I am too inpatient to wait for too long at one spot :)

uglycousin #13 Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:08 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 42641 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

View PostZe_HOFF_fverhoef, on 14 November 2017 - 02:06 PM, said:

It just came out of necessity. It was on Malinovka, where we had the hill, but no one was scouting for all the snipers (mostly heavy tanks) on the hill. So I just work one of the ridge lines around c6, to scout the enemy tanks just across the other side and in their base. Worked like a charm.

Works for me, as I am too inpatient to wait for too long at one spot :)

Did that a few times myself when the scouts were too dumb to go spot. :)

The E1 bush is also great for a swedish TD on Prokhorovka. Unless they start blindfiring you ... :D

Mimos_A #14 Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:12 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21444 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L

View PostThe_Georgian_One, on 14 November 2017 - 01:06 PM, said:

This in my mind distinguishes good player from bad one. I recently watched LemmingRush brawling in city on Siegfried Line. With Leo 1. This had substantial impact on how the game developed and helped his team win. He could have camped and sniped (isn't it what Leo is made for)? But that would reduce his damage output potential and it would probably mean his teammates are going to die.

Way too often people refuse to brawl in lightly armored vehicles effectively limiting their team's firepower and not sparing their hit points to save team mates. Extreme example of this is people sitting on red line with JPZE100s (not really lightly armored, but you get the memo). 9/10 lost game for their team.

I never really mind getting city maps in lights (with the exception of Paris, but that's a crapmap for any tank). While you can't sit in a bush with your hand in your pants farming assist damage, I find it very rewarding to help out the team by finishing low hp targets and be out before getting shot and just being a general pain in the butt of the enemy team and not giving anyone an easy time.

undutchable80 #15 Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 6327 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Did something similar in my stock Jackson this weekend; forget what map is was, but no LT's (or arty) on the team, so I type in chat that I will go spot (and get made fun of cuz I'm a TD). Rush to a nice spot near middle of map, park my @$$ in a bush, activate binocs & camo net and spot away:bush:! Could tell the other team didnt realise no LTs in game, cuz everyone went their standard way, and I had middle all to my lonesome.

Side note: Got so much spotting dmg I could have finished LT15-2 mission if I was in a Light...:facepalm:

SaintMaddenus #16 Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33167 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

3.6K spotting in my Lowe Firey Salient.   Would have been more but I too got greedy.     1K damage 2K bounce.   We still lost.   Was a T10 battle.   came 2nd.

Paris, went to hide behind house in field  "WTF KV3"  I just let them know "Its a crap map, trying something new."   Fair enough was the general reply.   Was about 1/2 way in team at the end of the battle which we won.  Killed the AMX that was after our arty.

failing_koala #17 Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:32 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 25125 battles

View Postbrumbarr, on 14 November 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

Are you this genius that went Centurion AX heavy line, got obliterated, lost us med line and lost us a game?

Dava_117 #18 Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:37 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17621 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS

That's really true, Brumbarr! In arty free malinovka, for example, I usually go middle and spot in IS-4 and ST-I.

Edit

The right name if the map is Prokorovka... I alleay get confused on russians names...

Edited by Dava_117, 14 November 2017 - 02:00 PM.

RandomBlank #19 Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10346 battles
  • [CITUR] CITUR

Heh, I successfully active-scouted in G.W. Tiger. Two arties against Strv S1.

http://wotreplays.eu/site/3864074

Rati_Festa #20 Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:44 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 40225 battles
Top tier match in Maus with no arty the ultimate spotting machine :) did the same on lakeview the other day. 11k bounce 5k spot and 2.5k dmg... lots of bonds and credits earnt.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users