Using server reticle, I'm not frustrated with accuracy anymore

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

TheOddRogue #1 Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:57 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9988 battles

Ever since I enabled it, the frustration of missing shots or shots mysteriously going into the 4th spatial dimension has more or less completely vanished. Not only that, I'm actually hitting quite ridiculous shots, especially on tanks that are on the move. 

I'd recommend anyone who is in a constant state of frustration and bitterness because of inaccuracy to try it out, it might just completely cure it. Sure it can be wonky to aim with at times but it's totally worth it. I think people who play at higher fps will have the most benefit from it because the disconnect between where you're aiming and where the server reticle is magnifies with higher fps. 

Ast3r09 #2 Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 37885 battles
  • [NERVA] NERVA
I did give it a try the other day for the first time since I started playing WoT and honestly I can say that it does make quite a difference in regards to accuracy, but it's not very smooth. The movement feels very rough and it can be very annoying. People playing at lower fps might be able to ignore it, but at 127 fps the reticle seems to be moving at about 30 which is a strain on my eyes really.

Edited by Ast3r09, 16 November 2017 - 02:02 PM.

jack_timber #3 Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:02 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33432 battles
Used server side aim for a long time now yes it could be a bit iffy before I enabled this

Scotviking1968 #4 Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:13 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 15498 battles
I always have this enabled.. with my ping being a bit random at times then its good to know what the server is doing

Mimos_A #5 Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:24 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24177 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L
Yup, I started using Awfultankers marker. Suddenly explained why so many "fully aimed" shots went all over... And i have a good internet connection, I can't imagine how confusing life must be for people with 50+ ping...

K_A #6 Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:31 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13641 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I used the setup circon uses for a long time, where I had a server reticle overlay on top of the regular reticle. Can't be bothered with finding it anymore tho, not with all the micro patches once every three days. I just try to wait half a second after "fully" aiming to make sure the server has caught up, and take a bit more lead than u feel is necessary when shooting at something fast and at a distance.

magkiln #7 Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:44 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24179 battles
  • [EKKE] EKKE

View PostTheOddRogue, on 16 November 2017 - 01:57 PM, said:

Ever since I enabled it, the frustration of missing shots or shots mysteriously going into the 4th spatial dimension has more or less completely vanished. Not only that, I'm actually hitting quite ridiculous shots, especially on tanks that are on the move. 

I'd recommend anyone who is in a constant state of frustration and bitterness because of inaccuracy to try it out, it might just completely cure it. Sure it can be wonky to aim with at times but it's totally worth it. I think people who play at higher fps will have the most benefit from it because the disconnect between where you're aiming and where the server reticle is magnifies with higher fps. 

I've been using it for a while now and I'm not sure yet. It's nice that my shots actually go where I aim them ( I once had a shot basically fly out of the back of my turret because of a lag spike). On the other hand, the reticle seems a lot more jumpy, which can be annoying when you have to aim quickly.

Derethim #8 Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:47 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17518 battles
Oh, I've disabled it for the Leviathan's event, gotta enable it back on. Thanks OP.

Dava_117 #9 Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:50 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19497 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Never felt frustratef about aim. Sure there are games where you simply miss every shot, but playing mostly soviet tanks, I also manage to pen impossible shots! :trollface:

But thank you for the idea, I will surely turn it on if ping starts to mess! :)

Tomotorqemada #10 Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:54 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16344 battles

View PostTheOddRogue, on 16 November 2017 - 01:57 PM, said:

You mean the standart crosshair?

Cobra6 #11 Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:05 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16332 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostTheOddRogue, on 16 November 2017 - 12:57 PM, said:

Enabling the server side reticle in the option menu does very little, we used to have a proper one in the game but WG removed it for some idiotic reason.

Getting a 3rd party mod will fix this issue though.

Cobra 6

suvicze #12 Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:28 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 19297 battles
  • [CS-TB] CS-TB

View PostMimos_A, on 16 November 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

Yup, I started using Awfultankers marker. Suddenly explained why so many "fully aimed" shots went all over... And i have a good internet connection, I can't imagine how confusing life must be for people with 50+ ping...

Ping over 50 is actually not a problem in this game as long as there is no packet loss or whatever else that occasional red blinking means. Even 100 is completely fine. 150-200 is the point where it may start to influence the performance. Usually only fast-paced fps games require good ping ideally around 30 and below. RPGs you can play with 300ms as long you are just doing quests or something similar and not pvp or raiding.

Personally I have tried the server side reticle through mods quite some time ago and while it helped sometimes it was kind of annoying so I uninstalled it and have no real problems anyway. As long as shots land within the aim circle I can simply attribute it to how the shots are distributed. The only real problem I had since then with landing shots was caused by lowered terrain details which causes the terrain to not be drawn properly as I didnt use improved graphic because I hated the color of american tanks with it. Now that problem is solved as I started using it and even somewhat got used to that weird color :D

Homer_J #13 Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:34 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28771 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostMimos_A, on 16 November 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

Not confusing at all if you understand that everything on the server will be slightly behind.

Server side reticle is a lie anyway.

tajj7 #14 Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:35 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25429 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Had the server-side crosshair for ages as a secondary to the main one, it's the main external mod I look to get, as mentioned above Circon uses it.

Mimos_A #15 Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:58 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24177 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L

View PostHomer_J, on 16 November 2017 - 03:34 PM, said:

Not confusing at all if you understand that everything on the server will be slightly behind.

Server side reticle is a lie anyway.

It's not about it being behind, it's sometimes "ahead" as well (as in, server says fully aimed when the game reticle says still aiming) and the timing in which it's behind isn't predictable. For me especially the aiming indicator the mod adds is pretty helpful.

View Postsuvicze, on 16 November 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

Ping over 50 is actually not a problem in this game as long as there is no packet loss or whatever else that occasional red blinking means. Even 100 is completely fine. 150-200 is the point where it may start to influence the performance. Usually only fast-paced fps games require good ping ideally around 30 and below. RPGs you can play with 300ms as long you are just doing quests or something similar and not pvp or raiding.

Personally I have tried the server side reticle through mods quite some time ago and while it helped sometimes it was kind of annoying so I uninstalled it and have no real problems anyway. As long as shots land within the aim circle I can simply attribute it to how the shots are distributed. The only real problem I had since then with landing shots was caused by lowered terrain details which causes the terrain to not be drawn properly as I didnt use improved graphic because I hated the color of american tanks with it. Now that problem is solved as I started using it and even somewhat got used to that weird color :D

I guess it's also what you're used to. I really notice if I play with a worse connection, I'm just very much used to playing on a solid connection with good ping that hardly ever drops packets. As for FPS, I used to play on my old laptop and I did fine playing bouncing between 15-30 fps, now I have a proper computer for a while and everything under 45 fps makes me feel like something's off.

Homer_J #16 Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:02 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28771 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostMimos_A, on 16 November 2017 - 02:58 PM, said:

It's not about it being behind, it's sometimes "ahead" as well (as in, server says fully aimed when the game reticle says still aiming) and the timing in which it's behind isn't predictable. For me especially the aiming indicator the mod adds is pretty helpful.

That would be all well and good if it wasn't a lie.

Mimos_A #17 Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:12 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24177 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L

View PostHomer_J, on 16 November 2017 - 04:02 PM, said:

That would be all well and good if it wasn't a lie.

Eh, I can live being lied to, who cares whether it's the placebo effect, I feel like it helps me.

brumbarr #18 Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:14 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles

View PostMimos_A, on 16 November 2017 - 03:58 PM, said:

Fully aiming is for noobs anyway, just aim untill its small enough to make it probable to hit. 

Mimos_A #19 Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:17 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24177 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L

View Postbrumbarr, on 16 November 2017 - 04:14 PM, said:

Fully aiming is for noobs anyway, just aim untill its small enough to make it probable to hit. 

No man, everyone knows taking that extra two seconds to sit there is totally worth it.

gav00 #20 Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 7996 battles
Why is server reticule not enabled by default? What use is a reticule which might not be accurate?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users