graphics engine graphics textures

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

nokis231 #1 Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:10 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10635 battles
  • [B1-RO] B1-RO

In my last topic, I talk about the game engine overall, but now I'll talk just about the Graphics Engine ( GE from now on ).

And, this is meant to be simple. I'll explain any word, AND WON'T INCLUDE TECHNICAL OR DETAILED INFORMATION ABOUT WORLD OF TANKS GE. Just how it works.

IMPORTANT NOTE : YOU CAN TELL ME WHERE I WAS WRONG, BUT ANY COMMENTS WITH HARD HATE WILL BE IGNORED AND REPORTED.

In this topic I'll talk about this things:

1.The basic objects

2.Terrain

3.Graphical Helpers

4.Textures

5.Lighting ( ==NOT AVAILABLE YET==)

6.Water ( ==NOT AVAILABLE YET==)

7.Particle effects ( or simple, effects ) ( ==NOT AVAILABLE YET==)

​1.The basic objects

​The basic objects are represented by cubes, spheres, planes ( not that flyable planes ) etc. However they are basic, they can maintain logic scripts. They can be... triggers. What is a trigger? Is an invisible object which starts an option. Let's say, the base capture circle. If a tank passes the trigger collision, it starts the count to 100, and also plays a specific sound, if needed.

​2.Terrain

The terrain is actually a plane. But, for it to become a battlefield, it has to be modified by applying height map​, ​texturing and calculating the Ambient Occlusion​.

The height map is a gray scale image which, once applied to the plane surface, modifies the plane surface, making all the mountains, hills, holes, we see in the game.

I'll talk about texturing later.

When calculating the AO of the map, the Graphics Engine knows how exposed each point in a scene is to ambient lighting. I'll talk about lighting later.

3.Graphical helpers

They are : a. Shading

b. Tessellating

c. Global Illuminating 

a. Shading is a process done by the Shader, which is an implementation of the GE. After the texture is animated and applied to the basic object, the Shader uses shaders to make the object more realistic. It can make it shiny, rough or apply the "Water effect" to the water plane.

b. Tessellating is the simplest one here. It splits the object into multiple polygons, which improves the object visual quality. Let's say you got a cube. 6 faces. When you tessellate it more times,( "By-Face" tessellation ) it will look close to a sphere.

c. Global Illuminating improves the light source quality.

Example : Let's say you have a room. It has roof lighting, a green wall, and a white ball standing in front of it. When GI is applied, the green of the wall will reflect into the white ball. Reflections and refractions are examples of global illumination, because when simulating them, they affect the rendering of another"

​4.Textures

​The textures also use Tessellation and GI, but I described them earlier. What's special with textures tessellation is that it makes the object in texture real. If you have stones on the texture, then you won't have just a plane texture, but a full-of-stones terrain.

​Applying textures onto the terrain is done by layers​. Into a layer, is stored information about the diffuse, normal and specular textures applied onto the terrain. Each Graphical Engine supports a different number of layers.

​THAT'S ALL FOR NOW! I'LL UPGRADE THE TOPIC AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! FEEL FREE TO ASK ANYTHING YOU DON'T KNOW AND IF YOU WANT TO NOW MORE, REQUEST MY EMAIL. HOPE THIS ONE IS BETTER THAN THE FIRST. 

Edited by nokis231, 18 November 2017 - 09:12 PM.

Mimos_A #2 Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:15 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23409 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L

Since you already displayed your lack of knowledge in your other, completely uninformative piece of drivel, I'd say we move this topic towards something way more interesting: Engine Graphics:

nokis231 #3 Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:17 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10635 battles
  • [B1-RO] B1-RO

View PostMimos_A, on 18 November 2017 - 08:15 PM, said:

Since you already displayed your lack of knowledge in your other, completely uninformative piece of drivel, I'd say we move this topic towards something way more interesting: Engine Graphics:

​You should at least try to read. If you don't like even after you read, then just don't enter in my technical topics.

Chute #4 Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:21 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 6066 battles
  • [WALET] WALET
I just can't see the point of this post at all.

Balc0ra #5 Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:30 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 65957 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
Let me guess... you found the read me file for the Unity engine. As I could have sworn I've read this before.

nokis231 #6 Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:53 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10635 battles
  • [B1-RO] B1-RO

View PostBalc0ra, on 18 November 2017 - 08:30 PM, said:

Let me guess... you found the read me file for the Unity engine. As I could have sworn I've read this before.

​No file has been used when I wrote this.

nikolaink123 #7 Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:02 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 20916 battles
  • [3V] 3V

RamRaid90 #8 Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:46 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21153 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

View Postnokis231, on 18 November 2017 - 08:10 PM, said:

​THAT'S ALL FOR NOW! I'LL UPGRADE THE TOPIC AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! FEEL FREE TO ASK ANYTHING YOU DON'T KNOW AND IF YOU WANT TO NOW MORE, REQUEST MY EMAIL. HOPE THIS ONE IS BETTER THAN THE FIRST. 

You don't KNOW anything.

You're copy pasting things you found in the readme files onto the forum.

This is a completely irrelevant post which is completely unnecessary.

Typical of a child on the internet attempting to act smart.

Edited by RamRaid90, 18 November 2017 - 11:48 PM.

Mimos_A #9 Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:14 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23409 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L

View Postnokis231, on 18 November 2017 - 09:17 PM, said:

​You should at least try to read. If you don't like even after you read, then just don't enter in my technical topics.

I'm sorry, I thought that if you were allowed to copy paste uninteresting and useless rambles we were all allowed to have our moment of posting some useless stuff. On that note: here's more engine graphics.

Aikl #10 Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:22 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25275 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostMimos_A, on 18 November 2017 - 08:15 PM, said:

(...)

Don't be such a pistonicist.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Uhm, back on-topic... what is the purpose of this? I'm sure it's interesting for some, but it's hardly gameplay-related, nor crucial for understanding limitations of WoT.

Besides, if you're making a topic, it should be more or less complete from the get-go if you want anyone to actually read it. Make it a series if you have to; that would make more sense.

Also tagged with graphics engine, graphics, textures

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users