Player hacked by a TROJAN inside illegal mods ?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

MontiPyton #1 Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:08 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 41085 battles

I read some topics on other games like SIMs that people had been infected by trojans , becouse they execute a .EXE file for install mods. 

Did you THINK will be possible on wot?

_EXODUZ_ #2 Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:09 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34617 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
Yes, of course. :child:

dennez #3 Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:10 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16822 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Ofcourse it can happen.. Any program you get from the internet can contain malware, especially with mods.. All they need to do is make a fake mod and advertise it as some kind of haxx cheat aimbot and droves of gullible people will happily download and install it.

kbb07142 #4 Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:11 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 32654 battles
Looks like some1 was wanting to download an illegal mod

fighting_falcon93 #5 Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:20 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 29732 battles

Ofc it's possible, if you run an .exe file and allow the program to run with admin rights it can do pretty much anything it wants. Best advice is to avoid mods in the first place, WG have included so much mods into the vanilla client by now that you don't really need a mod, and if you actually do need it there's plenty of "trusted" sites where the propability to get malware instead of mods in very low.

Fun story: Many years back when I went to school we had a fun thing (well not so fun for the victim) going on. When someone forgot to lock his computer, we did all sorts of fun stuff with it. However I wanted it to take it to the next level, so I created a program that when run, it randomly double clicked somewhere on the screen, and it did this once every millisecond and couldn't be exited (unless you restarted your computer ofc). As if that wasn't enough we placed the .exe file in the autostart directory :D One time the program actually managed to randomly click its way into the control panel and started uninstalling the guys Visual Studio :D After a while people got very careful with not forgetting to lock their computers... wonder why :D

Edited by fighting_falcon93, 20 November 2017 - 12:23 PM.

ThebaldEagle #6 Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:26 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 757 battles
Sounds like some people do not have a ok firewall and anit virus program and a brain

Hedgehog1963 #7 Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:26 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 50863 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY
OP, you made the huge mistake of not ending with "Asking for a friend."   Now everyone has bad thoughts about you.

dennez #8 Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:26 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16822 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postfighting_falcon93, on 20 November 2017 - 12:20 PM, said:

Ofc it's possible, if you run an .exe file and allow the program to run with admin rights it can do pretty much anything it wants. Best advice is to avoid mods in the first place, WG have included so much mods into the vanilla client by now that you don't really need a mod, and if you actually do need it there's plenty of "trusted" sites where the propability to get malware instead of mods in very low.

Fun story: Many years back when I went to school we had a fun thing (well not so fun for the victim) going on. When someone forgot to lock his computer, we did all sorts of fun stuff with it. However I wanted it to take it to the next level, so I created a program that when run, it randomly double clicked somewhere on the screen, and it did this once every millisecond and couldn't be exited (unless you restarted your computer ofc). As if that wasn't enough we placed the .exe file in the autostart directory :D One time the program actually managed to randomly click its way into the control panel and started uninstalling the guys Visual Studio :D After a while people got very careful with not forgetting to lock their computers... wonder why :D

When i was in school we made TSR's in Assembler to create fake Novell Netware 3 logon screens and use it to capture loginnames/passwords.. Or boss screens that when you pressed some key combination would instantly show the Turbo C GUI instead of the sh1t you were doing on the backround (creating cool ASCII art logo's for BBS's)

Yeah.. It's been awhile.. I know..

OreH75 #9 Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:27 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 46889 battles
  • [RANGR] RANGR

People who want to install mods via executable files shouldnt install them at all..

Oh Montipython: There is a problem with your bank account, we need to verify some details, please click this linkto help us solve the problem..

wsatnutter #10 Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:28 PM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 24380 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

The OP is searching for the golden aimbot you will find it here 

www.fartinatrance.com 

Goodluck

CmdRatScabies #11 Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:31 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 35723 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
Still waiting for the OP to share his aimbot detection techniques or "Technics" as he call them.

fighting_falcon93 #12 Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:31 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 29732 battles

View PostThebaldEagle, on 20 November 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

Sounds like some people do not have a ok firewall and anit virus program and a brain

If you manually start an .exe and give it admin rights you can forget that any firewall or anti virus will get it. Although I agree with the part about the brain.

View Postdennez, on 20 November 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

When i was in school we made TSR's in Assembler to create fake Novell Netware 3 logon screens and use it to capture loginnames/passwords.. Or boss screens that when you pressed some key combination would instantly show the Turbo C GUI instead of the sh1t you were doing on the backround (creating cool ASCII art logo's for BBS's)

Yeah.. It's been awhile.. I know..

Hahaha sounds fun :great:

Oh and assembler, I love that <3

dennez #13 Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:33 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16822 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postfighting_falcon93, on 20 November 2017 - 12:31 PM, said:

If you manually start an .exe and give it admin rights you can forget that any firewall or anti virus will get it. Although I agree with the part about the brain.

Hahaha sounds fun :great:

Oh and assembler, I love that <3

I'm talking 90's here... Assembler, Turbo Pascal and Turbo C were king back then... Sigh.. 

fighting_falcon93 #14 Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:37 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 29732 battles

View PostOreH75, on 20 November 2017 - 12:27 PM, said:

People who want to install mods via executable files shouldnt install them at all..

Exactly, +1. It should be enough to use a simple .zip file etc. But .exe files have been used for those massive modpacks that allows players to customize which mods they want. You know, double click .exe, pick what you want, the program extracts it and copies it for you. Works very well if the one creating the program doesn't have any bad intentions. Works very bad if it's the opposite. Even that popular modpack (forgot it's name) actually installs itself rather than just extracting contents, like wtf why would anyone want it installed on their computer :amazed:

fighting_falcon93 #15 Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:39 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 29732 battles

View Postdennez, on 20 November 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

I'm talking 90's here... Assembler, Turbo Pascal and Turbo C were king back then... Sigh.. 

I know, but it's 2017 and I still love Assembler :P Oh and C is still king, it's just that the amount of silly Java programmers have increased a lot :D

K_A #16 Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:07 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13581 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostOreH75, on 20 November 2017 - 11:27 AM, said:

Oh Montipython: There is a problem with your bank account, we need to verify some details, please click this linkto help us solve the problem..

There are 2 exe-files I'd trust to install mods from, Aslains and Odem Mortis. And both downloaded from their very own very real websites, not www.wot-cheats.ru.. :child:

Balc0ra #17 Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:17 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64316 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostK_A, on 20 November 2017 - 01:07 PM, said:

There are 2 exe-files I'd trust to install mods from, Aslains and Odem Mortis. And both downloaded from their very own very real websites, not www.wot-cheats.ru.. :child:

True, but half the mod packs from even legal mods on any RU mod site contains some crap if you get an .exe file. Even spamware from mail.ru. As we have seen topics about before. Not heard about Russian mod packs with keyloggers etc for a while. But it's safe to say with some certainty that they are still out there. And any single mod or mod pack with an .exe file with a wall of text you don't understand is something to stay clear of.

qpranger #18 Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:25 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 31444 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostBalc0ra, on 20 November 2017 - 02:17 PM, said:

True, but half the mod packs from even legal mods on any RU mod site contains some crap if you get an .exe file. 

What irritates me about those RU mods is the Russian-language automated lines triggered when someone has been spotted or hit, etc. So weird to see those in EU battles. Surely they can be switched over to English in the mod setting by anyone with a few brain cells?

fighting_falcon93 #19 Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 29732 battles

View PostK_A, on 20 November 2017 - 01:07 PM, said:

I don't know about Odem Mortis, but I've always wondered why Aslains install itself on the computer. Why doesn't it simply let you pick what you want, and then only extract it? Why does it install itself? :mellow:

K_A #20 Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:29 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13581 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postfighting_falcon93, on 20 November 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

I don't know about Odem Mortis, but I've always wondered why Aslains install itself on the computer. Why doesn't it simply let you pick what you want, and then only extract it? Why does it install itself? :mellow:

OM works the same way. It needs the installer so it can automatically search and download what you picked from the server and extract it to the correct folder. You can't really pick and choose from a mod pack zip file, it wouldn't know what to extract and what not to, it needs the installer for that.

View PostBalc0ra, on 20 November 2017 - 12:17 PM, said:

True, but half the mod packs from even legal mods on any RU mod site contains some crap if you get an .exe file. Even spamware from mail.ru. As we have seen topics about before. Not heard about Russian mod packs with keyloggers etc for a while. But it's safe to say with some certainty that they are still out there. And any single mod or mod pack with an .exe file with a wall of text you don't understand is something to stay clear of.

That's why you only download them from their own respective sites, not a russian mod site. Odem Mortis has it's own proper website and Aslains a forum thread, never download them from anywhere else.

Edited by K_A, 20 November 2017 - 01:31 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users