how do they calculate aim time?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Noo_Noo #1 Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:12 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 21559 battles

Serious question here. 

I thought I'd start up the German medium line and I'm suffering. Just cant get on with them it seems. Shocking win rates that actually make bots look like WoT Gods.

I'm currently at the V30.01D and with the top gun a 2.3 second aim time is quoted. In game its actually more like 6 seconds that's with a crew that has smooth ride on the driver and snap shot on the gunner. Also have vents fitted. 

Just wondering what the heck is causing such a drastic difference. Dispersion figures I guess but terrible all the same.

Homer_J #2 Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:15 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27094 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Aim time is the time it takes your dispersion to reduce by two thirds.

Note, there is a maximum size your aim circle will grow to but the dispersion can be bigger, so sometimes you won't see it start to shrink at first.

Noo_Noo #3 Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:19 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 21559 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 20 November 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

Aim time is the time it takes your dispersion to reduce by two thirds.

Note, there is a maximum size your aim circle will grow to but the dispersion can be bigger, so sometimes you won't see it start to shrink at first.

Got you. Cheers for that. 

Now how to figure out how to play this contraption.

brumbarr #4 Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:22 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Aim time is basicly a measure of how fast the circle shrinks, and dispersion a measure of how big the circle gets.

Aim time is NOT a meausre of  how long it takes from I guess the biggest aiming circle to fully aimed ( which would be kinda confusing anyway since there is no max aim circle size and what then do you take as the max size?)

The VKs aim time isnt that great and the dispersion values on the move are pretty bad, so  aiming will take some time.

qpranger #5 Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:23 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 30767 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

This is how it is done: 

Phobos4321 #6 Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:28 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 42846 battles

most of the biggerthan the screen aim-circle you will only find on spgs anyway

for no med its an issue

main difference should come from biased recognition

aimtime with vents would be 2.16 secs   time to fully aim 3.24 secs  not including the skills  so if it taks you 6secs and longer you probalby move your turret as such stops your aiming and get a bit of "new bloom "

Noo_Noo #7 Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:28 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 21559 battles

Cheers all. 

Oh how I suffer with this piece of turd

fwhaatpiraat #8 Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:35 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 44139 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View Postbrumbarr, on 20 November 2017 - 05:22 PM, said:

Aim time is basicly a measure of how fast the circle shrinks, and dispersion a measure of how big the circle gets.

I think this explains it the best.

And the hidden bloom stats show how movement affects the aim circle size (lower value is better).

Noo_Noo #9 Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:11 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 21559 battles

View PostPhobos4321, on 20 November 2017 - 05:28 PM, said:

most of the biggerthan the screen aim-circle you will only find on spgs anyway

for no med its an issue

main difference should come from biased recognition

aimtime with vents would be 2.16 secs   time to fully aim 3.24 secs  not including the skills  so if it taks you 6secs and longer you probalby move your turret as such stops your aiming and get a bit of "new bloom "

I'm deadly serious about this. Drive, stop, point at target start to count. 6 seconds. I miss so many shots with this things its unreal. Of course the enemy seldom misses. I have no issues playing paper tanks but this one and the Mutz really screw me over. 

its something i certainly need to look at to sort out as I'm starting to hair pull. 

Homer_J #10 Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:29 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27094 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostNoo_Noo, on 20 November 2017 - 05:11 PM, said:

I'm deadly serious about this. Drive, stop, point at target start to count. 6 seconds.

With a stopwatch?

Or just going one .... two .... three .... four .....

Because most people will count much too fast, even saying hippopotamus in between.

fwhaatpiraat #11 Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:35 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 44139 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostNoo_Noo, on 20 November 2017 - 06:11 PM, said:

I'm deadly serious about this. Drive, stop, point at target start to count. 6 seconds. I miss so many shots with this things its unreal. Of course the enemy seldom misses. I have no issues playing paper tanks but this one and the Mutz really screw me over. 

its something i certainly need to look at to sort out as I'm starting to hair pull. 

(Fast) driving and turning will make the aim circle really big indeed. Many tanks at tier 6 have bad bloom stats, so you have to be more stationary if you want to use the gun to the full potential. If you have to run and want to use the gun, try autoaim, it might make you hit some shots.

Also, if you really can't stand the gun handling, try the a-43 (with 57mm gun), it has much better bloom stats, gun handling and dispersion. It is one of my favorite tanks at tier 6 :)

The strv 74 (t6 tech tree swedish mt) also has much better gun handling than all other t6 meds. It has worse mobility and dpm however. (never played it)

Edit: instead of waiting/aiming for seconds after moving, you can also shoot immediately after you stopped. You have a small chance that you hit this shot, you have to sit and aim anyway.

Edited by fwhaatpiraat, 20 November 2017 - 06:37 PM.

pecopad #12 Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:40 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21412 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

Try to stop in cover before you move out of cover to make the shot.

Try to avoid driving stopping and shooting, because you will be out in the open for ages to get the circle to diminish, while the other guy will only have a minor bloom from peeking.

So my Technic is to drive, stop just before peaking,let the circle reduce,lock the turret if you can, and then move and shoot...

I'm not sure but I think if the tank  and the turret moves, the bloom is going to be much higher, because you will be adding 2 factors.

PS. take my advice with are, since I'm not that good player....

Edited by pecopad, 20 November 2017 - 06:41 PM.

Aikl #13 Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:41 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25141 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
If you have to shoot on the move, it's commonly believed that releasing the movement keys a split-second before you shoot improves your chance of hitting quite a bit. It feels like it works, at least, and you might as well if you think you can get away with it. Besides, varying the speed is rather effective in duels anyway.

pecopad #14 Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21412 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

View PostAikl, on 20 November 2017 - 06:41 PM, said:

If you have to shoot on the move, it's commonly believed that releasing the movement keys a split-second before you shoot improves your chance of hitting quite a bit. It feels like it works, at least, and you might as well if you think you can get away with it. Besides, varying the speed is rather effective in duels anyway.

If you drive and shoot, always try to shoot only when the other tank is flanked, delay your shot, get close and then shoot.

And if you ( the OP) are having problems with German Med tanks, probably Med and lights are not for you....

Edited by pecopad, 20 November 2017 - 06:47 PM.

Bucifel #15 Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27780 battles
  • [3NRGY] 3NRGY

View Postbrumbarr, on 20 November 2017 - 05:22 PM, said:

Aim time is NOT a meausre of  how long it takes from I guess the biggest aiming circle to fully aimed ( which would be kinda confusing anyway since there is no max aim circle size and what then do you take as the max size?)

The VKs aim time isnt that great and the dispersion values on the move are pretty bad, so  aiming will take some time.

then how is calculated at 1/3 (or whatever it is..) of max circle size if theres no max size..?

anyway...thats just another a stupid mechanic..too confusing and not relevant

this is something what need some rework instead of useless UI changes like worse missions interface...

Edited by Bucifel, 20 November 2017 - 06:48 PM.

Gremlin182 #16 Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:46 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 45418 battles
All I really remember about it was it was a fast tank with a decent gun it could snipe pretty well and wasn't bad at scouting

Aikl #17 Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:59 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25141 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View Postpecopad, on 20 November 2017 - 05:43 PM, said:

If you drive and shoot, always try to shoot only when the other tank is flanked, delay your shot, get close and then shoot.

And if you ( the OP) are having problems with German Med tanks, probably Med and lights are not for you....

I would not be surprised if about half of WoT's players have never considered distance as vital for determining accuracy, but isn't this kind of obvious?

If your gun reloads in three-four seconds I'd say that holding fire isn't necessarily the best idea. I mean, if you need about the same for reaching what you'd consider 'close enough' it makes no sense to not shoot (unless you run the risk of shooting allies or you actually need to conserve ammo). Heck, often it can make a lot of sense to go for a ram if it means the enemy tank gets one less shot off.

Oh, and the idea of waiting for the other tank to get occupied are just grounds for making this game even more static. It makes sense if you play support for whatever reason (bottom-tier, TD, low HP), but it does not make for very interesting gameplay (which on the other hand is apparently what we're being led towards).

Edited by Aikl, 20 November 2017 - 07:00 PM.

Noo_Noo #18 Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:35 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 21559 battles

View Postpecopad, on 20 November 2017 - 06:43 PM, said:

na. That's not the issue. I'm ok in lights, French mediums, not too bad. Did struggle with some of the Amrecan mediums but it wasn't an epic failure on this scale. Just absolutely brutal. 

Delaying the shot is not an issue, the aim time forces you to do that anyway. 

I do need to play more cautiously in it for sure but I'm getting some stinking luck with it right now for sure. So many shots just missing. My hit percentage is 10% lower in this tank than say the M4 rev, another tank with pretty slow aim time. 

Noo_Noo #19 Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:01 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 21559 battles

Well I have to laugh. 

First mark achieved on it in 52 atrocious games, an even worse win rate and still missing shots a plenty.

This tank must have a really low performance level at the moment. 

There's 2 marks in this somewhere 

ExclamationMark #20 Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:24 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 16679 battles
20k games and you don't know what dispersion values are or mean. Impressive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users