Jump to content


Why you should consider to quit playing heavy tanks.


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

TheOddRogue #1 Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:10 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 9977 battles
  • 427
  • Member since:
    08-08-2012

Since the artillery changes introduced the stun mechanics playing heavytanks has become the most painful experience it has ever been. I don't play them anymore, and you should consider the same, to save yourself from the frustrating and soulcrushing experience. Now the problem is not nearly as bad on city maps since there usually is decent cover, I need to acknowledge this, but it is very bad on more open maps where there is less cover. 

 

This is not a arty-hate thread, maybe a stun hate thread. I think stun should be removed and arty should be reworked in other ways. 

 

Now why just heavy tanks, why am I not mentioning the rest of the classes? Because if you are say a light tank for example, you're most likely speeding along the map and trying to spot or engaging in combat on the move, you can go from one point of the map to another if arty is focusing specifically that point, it's easy to avoid artillery and your role is dynamic, you do not have a certain flank for which it is vital for you to hold or be in. Now the same can be argued for medium tanks but to a lesser extent, If artillery is focusing the flank which you are playing at, you can just try your luck on another position, mediums are less flexible than lights but more so than heavies, there is usually a good number of effective positions for medium tanks on open maps, medium tanks do in general have key points in a map to be on, but they have more options then heavies and can relocate easily due to their mobility. Worst case scenario in a medium you fall back and snipe, this is something you absolutely cannot afford to¨do in a heavy tank.Tank destroyers are usually sniping from a distance, or taking on a more medium tank role, skorpion G for example. Since they're usually in the back and sniping they do not suffer from stunning unless they get spotted, even then it's easy to relocate to another position where you aren't spotted. Tank destroyers probably have the least issues with arty of all tank classes, hence why they are so popular right now.  

 

But a heavy tank must go to the vital flanks and must hold them, and they don't have many option of key flanks to choose from. On open maps the cover isn't usually that good and you can still get stunned through cover. A heavy tank is also usually fairly unmobile and can't just change positions that easily. So the heavies go the proper flanks to hold or push and if there is 2 or 3 artillery most the heavys will be stunned for the majority of the battle. I don't know about you, but it just ruins everything for me, I can't stand it. I refuse to be stunned an entire game. 

 

Only way to avoid this is to not play heavytanks at all. Play all the other classes and avoid stun as much as possible, and actually enjoy playing the game. 

 

 

 

 

 

 



_Avenger_SRB_ #2 Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:19 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 22263 battles
  • 146
  • Member since:
    06-08-2014
Defender & VK100 laugh at this post

BravelyRanAway #3 Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:23 PM

    General

  • Beta Tester
  • 22194 battles
  • 8,091
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T
  • Member since:
    12-29-2010
I don't really get hit by arty a lot......where are you going on the maps?

Havenless #4 Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:31 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 413 battles
  • 435
  • Member since:
    12-18-2014

View PostBravelyRanAway, on 21 November 2017 - 01:23 AM, said:

I don't really get hit by arty a lot......where are you going on the maps?

 

Without wanting to offend anyone here, if you're not being harmed by arty in a regular basis you're just not being useful. If you play the important areas of the map and try to win games actively, arty is inevitably going to be hitting you all the time. It's one of these things that are seemingly positive are a result of much bigger problems, and aren't all that positive after all. It's just like in poker if nobody ever bluffs against you, it's because you call too often and they have reasoned out that bluffing you is a waste of time. A player who calls too much is obviously going to lose a lot of money in the long run. But he does not get bluffed out of pots.

 

View Post_Avenger_SRB_, on 21 November 2017 - 01:19 AM, said:

Defender & VK100 laugh at this post

 

Just try to play one of them in a triple arty game. I am not saying these tanks aren't overpowered but playing heavies can be a miserable experience with 2-3 SPGs per team. It's one thing to have a powerful tank, and a completely different thing to have fun.
 

vasilinhorulezz #5 Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:34 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 21150 battles
  • 866
  • Member since:
    09-26-2014

View PostTheOddRogue, on 20 November 2017 - 11:10 PM, said:

Since the artillery changes introduced the stun mechanics playing heavytanks has become the most painful experience it has ever been. I don't play them anymore, and you should consider the same, to save yourself from the frustrating and soulcrushing experience. Now the problem is not nearly as bad on city maps since there usually is decent cover, I need to acknowledge this, but it is very bad on more open maps where there is less cover. 

 

This is not a arty-hate thread, maybe a stun hate thread. I think stun should be removed and arty should be reworked in other ways. 

 

Now why just heavy tanks, why am I not mentioning the rest of the classes? Because if you are say a light tank for example, you're most likely speeding along the map and trying to spot or engaging in combat on the move, you can go from one point of the map to another if arty is focusing specifically that point, it's easy to avoid artillery and your role is dynamic, you do not have a certain flank for which it is vital for you to hold or be in. Now the same can be argued for medium tanks but to a lesser extent, If artillery is focusing the flank which you are playing at, you can just try your luck on another position, mediums are less flexible than lights but more so than heavies, there is usually a good number of effective positions for medium tanks on open maps, medium tanks do in general have key points in a map to be on, but they have more options then heavies and can relocate easily due to their mobility. Worst case scenario in a medium you fall back and snipe, this is something you absolutely cannot afford to¨do in a heavy tank.Tank destroyers are usually sniping from a distance, or taking on a more medium tank role, skorpion G for example. Since they're usually in the back and sniping they do not suffer from stunning unless they get spotted, even then it's easy to relocate to another position where you aren't spotted. Tank destroyers probably have the least issues with arty of all tank classes, hence why they are so popular right now.  

 

But a heavy tank must go to the vital flanks and must hold them, and they don't have many option of key flanks to choose from. On open maps the cover isn't usually that good and you can still get stunned through cover. A heavy tank is also usually fairly unmobile and can't just change positions that easily. So the heavies go the proper flanks to hold or push and if there is 2 or 3 artillery most the heavys will be stunned for the majority of the battle. I don't know about you, but it just ruins everything for me, I can't stand it. I refuse to be stunned an entire game. 

 

Only way to avoid this is to not play heavytanks at all. Play all the other classes and avoid stun as much as possible, and actually enjoy playing the game. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Super heavies are the most safe class from arty, because they now do squat on them, 

why shoot a Maus for 15 damage when I can shoot the little scout for 400?

Also running doesn't really help when splash ratio is way bigger now, arty doesn't even need to hit the same post code as you to hit you in your light or medium.



psychobear #6 Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:35 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 18475 battles
  • 1,513
  • [7EVEN] 7EVEN
  • Member since:
    06-21-2012
@OP, i take advice and play only Tortoise for the last few days. Almost every game i get rekt by arty. I try not kemp bush in Tortoise so as to not get prevented from it but i still get rekt by arty. Clickers must focus me becouse me OP unicum in Tortoise. They see my 35%WR in it and they hatin'. But soon i get Death Star and then oneshot their sorry @ss all day.

Havenless #7 Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:36 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 413 battles
  • 435
  • Member since:
    12-18-2014

View Postvasilinhorulezz, on 21 November 2017 - 01:34 AM, said:

 

Super heavies are the most safe class from arty, because they now do squat on them, 

why shoot a Maus for 15 damage when I can shoot the little scout for 400?

Also running doesn't really help when splash ratio is way bigger now, arty doesn't even need to hit the same post code as you to hit you in your light or medium.

 

This is just BS. Even a tier 8 arty is going to splash a Maus for several hundreds of damage. There's no factual basis for. They do receive less damage per shot but the difference isn't that significant. The super heavies are also so big and slow that landing a shot within the splash range is much easier.

Aikl #8 Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:42 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 25141 battles
  • 4,003
  • [-MM] -MM
  • Member since:
    04-13-2011
It does indeed make little sense to add stun and make the damage output more reliable.

TheOddRogue #9 Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:45 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 9977 battles
  • 427
  • Member since:
    08-08-2012

View Postpsychobear, on 20 November 2017 - 10:35 PM, said:

@OP, i take advice and play only Tortoise for the last few days. Almost every game i get rekt by arty. I try not kemp bush in Tortoise so as to not get prevented from it but i still get rekt by arty. Clickers must focus me becouse me OP unicum in Tortoise. They see my 35%WR in it and they hatin'. But soon i get Death Star and then oneshot their sorry @ss all day.

 

You play it as a heavy and you get punished by arty accordingly. If you play more of the traditional bushwanking style of play with TD's you're not going to suffer much. I can see the bushwanking style of play with tortoise being pretty inefficient, kinda inevitable to play it more like a heavy. 
 

View Post_Avenger_SRB_, on 20 November 2017 - 10:19 PM, said:

Defender & VK100 laugh at this post
 

 

No their not, they get stunned to hell as well, and imagine how the gun handles on those thing when they're stunned. 

 

They're more likely crying.


 

Edited by Jbnn, 21 November 2017 - 09:09 AM.


unhappy_bunny #10 Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:55 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 17409 battles
  • 2,131
  • [-OC-] -OC-
  • Member since:
    08-01-2012

View Post_Avenger_SRB_, on 20 November 2017 - 11:19 PM, said:

Defender & VK100 laugh at this post

 

 

I dont know about them, but I laugh at this post. 

 

Seriously, OP, one players fun is another players torment. That is the nature of competitive games. You dont play a tank game to make the enemy have fun, you play it to win and that means killing his tanks by any means possible. He does the same to you and your team. 

No-one goes into a game like this thinking "Ooh, I must remember to allow red team to have, so I wont push too hard, and I will be gentle with my shots" do you? No, you go into battle thinking " I'm gonna smash those reds into the ground". It doesnt matter what class of tank you play, your aim is the same, to ruin the enemy's day.



_Avenger_SRB_ #11 Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:58 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 22263 battles
  • 146
  • Member since:
    06-08-2014

View PostHavenless, on 20 November 2017 - 10:32 PM, said:

 

Just try to play one of them in a triple arty game. I am not saying these tanks aren't overpowered but playing heavies can be a miserable experience with 2-3 SPGs per team. It's one thing to have a powerful tank, and a completely different thing to have fun.

 

View PostTheOddRogue, on 20 November 2017 - 10:46 PM, said:

 

No their not, they get stunned to hell as well, and imagine how the gun handles on those thing when they're stunned. 

 

They're more likely crying.

 

 

From my experience, enemy Defenders have it very easy when i'm fighting against them. Like, they hide behind a wall and our arty cries instead of them, while they demolish everything in their path and then hunt the last chicken [arty]

 

and i have a blast too in my ravioli, same mobility & ROF as a Defender minus the armor [so when i get perma tracked by 3 clickers they actually do more than 100 damage to me]


Edited by _Avenger_SRB_, 20 November 2017 - 11:59 PM.


Schepel #12 Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:00 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 56870 battles
  • 2,967
  • Member since:
    05-13-2013

View Post_Avenger_SRB_, on 20 November 2017 - 11:19 PM, said:

Defender & VK100 laugh at this post

 

The defender is actually really vulnerable when it comes to HE shells raining from above. It is one of the better arty targets in the game. At any rate, nothing enjoys being perma stunned. Slow, big tanks just don't stand a chance when arty wants to crap all over them. 

Gixxer66 #13 Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:05 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 18038 battles
  • 404
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-
  • Member since:
    01-11-2013

Arty are supposed to be the counter for Heavy tanks - so working as intended?



brumbarr #14 Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:05 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 38626 battles
  • 6,286
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    07-30-2012

euhm? Are you playing the same game? 

The arta nerf was a massive buff to heavys ,before arties would reliable do 600-800 dmg to heavy tanks, now they do more like 300-400.  Not to mention arta shooting against superheavys is laugable. 

The combined arta nerf/heavy armor buffs/corridor maps. Makes heavy tanks the strongest class in the game and the best to win games in.


Edited by brumbarr, 21 November 2017 - 08:45 AM.


BravelyRanAway #15 Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:05 AM

    General

  • Beta Tester
  • 22194 battles
  • 8,091
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T
  • Member since:
    12-29-2010

View PostHavenless, on 20 November 2017 - 10:31 PM, said:

 

Without wanting to offend anyone here, if you're not being harmed by arty in a regular basis you're just not being useful. If you play the important areas of the map and try to win games actively, arty is inevitably going to be hitting you all the time. It's one of these things that are seemingly positive are a result of much bigger problems, and aren't all that positive after all. It's just like in poker if nobody ever bluffs against you, it's because you call too often and they have reasoned out that bluffing you is a waste of time. A player who calls too much is obviously going to lose a lot of money in the long run. But he does not get bluffed out of pots.

Get hit and stunned...hit med kit and off you go......it's not like you die as much as you used to before stunning was introduced.

........Or perhaps Per.....they prefer hitting you with your purple coat first. 



redgismo #16 Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:07 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 27907 battles
  • 68
  • [-TXG-] -TXG-
  • Member since:
    08-12-2011

View Postbrumbarr, on 20 November 2017 - 11:05 PM, said:

euhm? Are you playing the same game? 

The arta nerf was a massive buff to arties, before arties would reliable do 600-800 dmg to heavy tanks, now they do more like 300-400.  Not to mention arta shooting against superheavys is laugable. 

The combined arta nerf/heavy armor buffs/corridor maps. Makes heavy tanks the strongest class in the game and the best to win games in.

 

spot on!

psychobear #17 Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:53 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 18475 battles
  • 1,513
  • [7EVEN] 7EVEN
  • Member since:
    06-21-2012

View Postbrumbarr, on 21 November 2017 - 01:05 AM, said:

euhm? Are you playing the same game? 

The arta nerf was a massive buff to arties, before arties would reliable do 600-800 dmg to heavy tanks, now they do more like 300-400.  Not to mention arta shooting against superheavys is laugable. 

The combined arta nerf/heavy armor buffs/corridor maps. Makes heavy tanks the strongest class in the game and the best to win games in.

 

Errm... i guess you meant to say "massive buff to heavies" but instead accidentally wrote the truth. 



Derethim #18 Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:54 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 16426 battles
  • 1,717
  • Member since:
    04-03-2012

Play a sniper med instead!

Once you stop to aim, you might as well quit the game, because a 280mm shell thrash can is coming your way, if someone is focusing on you.



Etre_ #19 Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:44 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 50742 battles
  • 1,286
  • [WEBOB] WEBOB
  • Member since:
    04-21-2014

View PostDerethim, on 21 November 2017 - 12:54 AM, said:

Play a sniper med instead!

Once you stop to aim, you might as well quit the game, because a 280mm shell thrash can is coming your way, if someone is focusing on you.

 

not far from truth

magkiln #20 Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:24 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 21948 battles
  • 712
  • [EKKE] EKKE
  • Member since:
    09-21-2015

View PostHavenless, on 20 November 2017 - 11:36 PM, said:

 

This is just BS. Even a tier 8 arty is going to splash a Maus for several hundreds of damage. There's no factual basis for. They do receive less damage per shot but the difference isn't that significant. The super heavies are also so big and slow that landing a shot within the splash range is much easier.

 

Now this is true BS. The average tier 8 arty is lucky to get more than a 100 damage on a MAUS. That only happens if you get a rear shot, in which case the MAUS driver needs his alcohol level checked. I don't know what game you have been playing, but it isn't WoT




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users