Aim reticle and ridgelines

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

_Avenger_SRB_ #1 Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:11 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 22263 battles

Is there any mod that prevents the aim reticle going crazy when aiming at a hull down enemy? or if they disappear and the reticle goes up/down and misses the blindshot attempt by a lot...i hope i explained the problem well

https://i.imgur.com/RERpdUH.jpg

Edited by _Avenger_SRB_, 23 November 2017 - 02:15 AM.

Tidal_Force #2 Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:16 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 16000 battles
There used to be BalCalc which allowed you to press button to "lock" range compensation, but it was long ago. I have no idea if it's still updated, and I have no idea if it's legal under current mod policy.

straubbazsi #3 Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:08 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 20384 battles
  • [TRIGG] TRIGG

I was thinking about a topic like this.

It is so *** annoying sometimes. Especially, when i try to lead a long range target, but i don't have clear view. So I'm trying to figure it out where is the enemy and where should i lead my shot, but the aiming circle is jumping between the enemy countour and *** knows what.

It is not just ridge lines. Random objects can do this mid and long range too. Or I don't know, a Leviathan:

Block Quote

range compensation

What again?

Is this not a bug? Is this actually on purpose?

I really don't understand the point, because if I shot, then I can see my shell flying towards to my reticle (and not to my aiming circle). For example, you can see the shell above the leviathan and my reticle (not accidental).

Edited by straubbazsi, 23 November 2017 - 08:10 AM.

OneSock #4 Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:32 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 32635 battles
  • [FUB4R] FUB4R

Yeah I know what you mean it's a feature of the map that the range compensation seems to go to infinity or some very distant point. it would be really handy if the lock range maximum was the edge of the map, this would be a reasonable compromise.

As you say you could have a button you could hold while firing to disable the range compensation and just fire at the centre of reticule. You would have to do your own range compensation in this situation. I think it would be better to fix the max range to the edge of the map.

Cobra6 #5 Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:41 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16295 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View Poststraubbazsi, on 23 November 2017 - 06:08 AM, said:

What again?

I really don't understand the point, because if I shot, then I can see my shell flying towards to my reticle (and not to my aiming circle). For example, you can see the shell above the leviathan and my reticle (not accidental).

Yes it is, WoT has shell drop over range in the game so if you shoot longer ranges your gun automatically compensates in elevation to account for the shell trajectory.

Your aiming reticle is the reference for that and when you are aiming at a hull down enemy the reference is the turret but when they vanish the reference is the sky a million miles behind so the gun goes up and your shot flies to Narnia.

This effect is very pronounced in DERP guns and guns with low shell velocity like the higher tier 15Xmm guns, you can quite easily see the arc when firing over long ranges.

This system is also the reason why sometimes when you can't see an enemy behind a ridge in first person but when you aim third person you can still shoot them because in 3rd person you can put the reticle on their turret behind a ridge and lob the shell over with the help of the automatic range compensation.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 23 November 2017 - 10:43 AM.

_EXODUZ_ #6 Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:16 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34159 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostTidal_Force, on 23 November 2017 - 02:16 AM, said:

There used to be BalCalc which allowed you to press button to "lock" range compensation, but it was long ago. I have no idea if it's still updated, and I have no idea if it's legal under current mod policy.

It's available in Aslain's mod pack, so I guess it's legal.

Balc0ra #7 Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:29 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 62747 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

It's called shell drop, sight is compensating for it, nothing more.

You are aiming at an object at close range. When he gets de-spotted, you are aiming at the sky or a hill 500m behind him behind the ridge line. The sight is aiming for you to hit that, not the air next to the rock 250m away right above the ridge line where the tank was. If all the shells went in a straight line, it would not happen. But they don't. Even less on HE derp guns. So the sight is just telling you what you will hit based on what the client knows is there. Not what you want to hit that you can't see that the client don't knows there, but know is there. Thus when you are aiming at the air 250m in front. And the sight hits the skybox or a hill 750m away. Then you aim a bit lower, job's done. Unless you have a low angle and aim right on the line that is.

Edited by Balc0ra, 23 November 2017 - 11:29 AM.

Derethim #8 Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:34 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16421 battles

Arcade zoom mods help with this (mods that allow you to zoom out further).

But I also find myself getting annoyed by how I have to aim directly at an outline of the enemy tank to hit it.

Tidal_Force #9 Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:10 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 16000 battles

View Poststraubbazsi, on 23 November 2017 - 06:08 AM, said:

What again?

Yes, it's a feature, and overall quite a good one. Otherwise we would get a lot of threads "rigged game! I can't hit anything at 300m" and from the other side, endless threads complaining about noobs unable to range shots correctly.

Cobra6 is spot on in his explanation.

View PostCobra6, on 23 November 2017 - 09:41 AM, said:

Yes it is, WoT has shell drop over range in the game so if you shoot longer ranges your gun automatically compensates in elevation to account for the shell trajectory.

Your aiming reticle is the reference for that and when you are aiming at a hull down enemy the reference is the turret but when they vanish the reference is the sky a million miles behind so the gun goes up and your shot flies to Narnia.

This effect is very pronounced in DERP guns and guns with low shell velocity like the higher tier 15Xmm guns, you can quite easily see the arc when firing over long ranges.

This system is also the reason why sometimes when you can't see an enemy behind a ridge in first person but when you aim third person you can still shoot them because in 3rd person you can put the reticle on their turret behind a ridge and lob the shell over with the help of the automatic range compensation.

Cobra 6

The only thing to add is that there used to be (according to _EXODUZ_ still is) a mod which allows to lock range compensation. You aim at something, press the button and from now on, as long as you keep it pressed, all shots will have same range compensation. Back when I used it, I was able to combine range lock with manual ranging (I found it better to manually make small adjustments to elevation adjust elevation than acquire new lock when shooting enemies running a ridge) to successfully and consistently hit ridge running scouts.

Edited by Tidal_Force, 23 November 2017 - 09:11 PM.

Cobra6 #10 Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:06 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16295 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostTidal_Force, on 23 November 2017 - 08:10 PM, said:

The only thing to add is that there used to be (according to _EXODUZ_ still is) a mod which allows to lock range compensation. You aim at something, press the button and from now on, as long as you keep it pressed, all shots will have same range compensation. Back when I used it, I was able to combine range lock with manual ranging (I found it better to manually make small adjustments to elevation adjust elevation than acquire new lock when shooting enemies running a ridge) to successfully and consistently hit ridge running scouts.

Yeah I would actually consider that a "cheating" mod because it gives you a huge advantage and it's not something a vanilla player can do.....

Cobra 6

Ricky_Rolls #11 Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 66944 battles
  • [GO-IN] GO-IN
It's just not normal, you can't anticipate nor blindshot a ridge line because of this ****. Also i don't remember this feature in beta.

270_Winchester #12 Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:33 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 28942 battles
I dont like mods, but if that "BalCalc" mod or whatever, can fix this issue, i'm gonna install it straight away!

Bitter_Kipper #13 Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:52 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23285 battles

If you truly want to see shell drop buy a Ikea 103 and weep at the shell speed and shell arc. Good luck leading a shot with that sack of $hit.

If the game was not compensating for your aiming reticule the shot would land about 100m in for of the tank.

Most of the higher tier guns have very little shell drop, but the slower the shell speed the more obvious it becomes, but most people never notice it because very few take the time to look at the shell after they fire.

You can drop a shot over a ridge line with some guns, if the distance is long enough.

Maschinenkanone #14 Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:02 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 33654 battles
  • [MBEV] MBEV
Just found this thread while researching the same issue. Is there a mod and if so where can it be downloaded?

Browarszky #15 Posted 30 April 2018 - 05:54 PM

Major

• Player
  • 14901 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L

Many times I get hit while mostly or, IMO, completely behind the ridgeline (being able to see enemy turret tops or not even those), so I'm wondering if that's just a wrong perception or what's going on?

Sometimes, I think it's due to enemy TD's firing from further back and from higher ground, I can't reliably judge the difference in elevation. But sometimes there is no higher ground on the other side of the ridge.

Edited by Browarszky, 30 April 2018 - 05:55 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users