Advice on playing the Grille 15

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

anonym_sfDyoWv7xpoS #1 Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:26 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

As the title says, how can I improve in playing the Grille 15, because this thing is kicking by butt!

I recently finally got the XP to get the Grille, fully kitted it out and moved my 5 skill crew to it from the Borsig, so should be good to go, right?  Absolutely not-  I do exceptionally bad in it at the moment.  Admittedly, I have only 15 games and my crew is still at 95% (after retraining for this vehicle), but I have 33: WR :( and my best game was 3k.  This is pathetic by any means, especially as a 3k 2 kill game got me 1st class.  How can such a score be 1st class at tier 10?  - I can get 3k dmg at tier 6!

I have no issue maintaining a 60% WR in the WT IV, so I must have at least a basic idea on how to play a TD. In the Grille, no matter what I have tried, I am so quickly spotted after firing and that is that.  Don't get me wrong, the gun is great and the mobility is not bad and the gun depression is workable.  The only issue I seem to have is that lack of turret slew and the fact that you basically have to stick your long vulnerable hull out of cover to get in a shot (or try side-scraping and rushing forwards back into cover, if behind a rock or building - doesn't work on slopes though).

So what do I need to do?  I am loath to snipe from the red line as there are no shots to be had from there, but it seems the only method of staying alive in most cases is to stay at extreme range to avoid being spotted and rely on others to light up the targets.   I am already seriously considering selling the thing.

cheers

iztok #2 Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:50 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 35215 battles
Watching replays of a desired vehicle helps.

Bennie182 #3 Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:52 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 54969 battles
  • [WGL-A] WGL-A

1 look for water

2 drive into it

most disgusting class

Edited by Bennie182, 23 November 2017 - 10:52 AM.

_EXODUZ_ #4 Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:52 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35567 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

First of all, you need to post your replays if you want some proper advice. Secondly, Grille is played aggressively most of the time.

tumppi776 #5 Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:55 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 43984 battles
  • [DPG-I] DPG-I
Sorry to say but my solution was not to play it. It was barely fun before they nerfed it - and now ?!??!?

TheWarrener #6 Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:02 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 3754 battles

Just don't. This line ends at tier 9,which is amazing with 15cm gun 

Edited by TheWarrener, 23 November 2017 - 11:02 AM.

tumppi776 #7 Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:37 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 43984 battles
  • [DPG-I] DPG-I

View PostMothless, on 23 November 2017 - 09:26 AM, said:

Don't get me wrong, the gun is great and the mobility is not bad and the gun depression is workable.  The only issue I seem to have is that lack of turret slew and the fact that you basically have to stick your long vulnerable hull out of cover to get in a shot (or try side-scraping and rushing forwards back into cover, if behind a rock or building - doesn't work on slopes though).

So what do I need to do?  I am loath to snipe from the red line as there are no shots to be had from there, but it seems the only method of staying alive in most cases is to stay at extreme range to avoid being spotted and rely on others to light up the targets.   I am already seriously considering selling the thing.

Well the gun isnt great by any tier 10 standard:

-Low AP and premium pen

- horrible bloom if you so much as move 1 pixel -> you cant track moving targets and expect to hit.

- slow shell velocity on all ammo types (vs WT auf IV APCR 350mm pen and 1500 m/s)

All the above make it bad at sniping, in which it should excel at bcs it has low hitpoints, bad camo and 0 armor.

I would rather pick WT auf IV with the 128mm for any battle over Grille, anyday 100%.

Edited by tumppi776, 23 November 2017 - 11:39 AM.

anonym_sfDyoWv7xpoS #8 Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:41 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

Thanks for the replies.  I have indeed watched many videos, but the  majority were before the nerf and tended to be the players better games.

Admittedly, in several of my games where I felt that I was positioned correctly and contributing at close to mid range, I was rebalanced by arty( which always seemed to take out gunner, commander, gun, engine and track), so crippled, I am unable to get into cover before being toasted by the other tanks. My other problem as TD player is that I tend to play too aggressively and that often leads to my demise.  Whilst I can make that work in other TD's I have not yet found out how to do that in the Grille, with its terrible turn rate whilst driving at speed. Reverse speed is a killer and if you need to get that long body back into cover, more than 2 seconds  to do that is too late.

I don't want to give up on it yet though.

Aikl #9 Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:48 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 26118 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

While I have little experience with the line, I always found it very useful to platoon when playing TDs aggressively. Autoloader medium tanks can work rather well. You cover each other and pack a nasty punch together.

Generally I also find T10 more challenging than T9. Not sure why, but it's something to get used to I guess. Fifteen battles at 33% winrate can also literally be bad teams. Playing a soft TD means you are vulnerable and might struggle with contributing in pure roflstomps.

_Avenger_SRB_ #10 Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:54 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 22285 battles
Hide in water, use the gun as a snorkel. When they get past you, you drive out and smack them for 750 damage. Rinse and repeat

anonym_sfDyoWv7xpoS #11 Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:54 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
I have had a couple of games where the team did poorly, but as I was part of the team that melted, I am probably equally to blame.  The techniques that I use for the WT auf PZiv does not seem to be so successful fro the Grille, so maybe it just having to relearn the tank.  It is bad at poking slopes, that is for certain and running away when your flank is folding and trying to shoot backwards as you go isn't going to happen:)

View Post_Avenger_SRB_, on 23 November 2017 - 11:54 AM, said:

Hide in water, use the gun as a snorkel. When they get past you, you drive out and smack them for 750 damage. Rinse and repeat

Tried that once with the toaster when I fell of the bridge on derpenberg.  didn't work then, so I am doubtful the rules have changed at tier 10:)

suvicze #12 Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:11 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 19297 battles
  • [CS-TB] CS-TB

Just spare yourself the suffering and dont play it :D

It simply doesnt have anything which would really make it stand out and what it has is average at best.

- no camo

- no armor

- bad mobility except forward speed which takes forever to reach anywhere except roads

- doesnt have fully traversable turret

- low penetration, especially premium rounds and terrible shell velocity on them

- absolutely horrible soft stats, even freaking KV-2 with derp has better, seriously they should shoot the guy who thought that TD without armor or camo (which ideally needs to snipe) will be playable with 0.38 turret traverse.

You can have great acc and aim time but it is completely useless if your aim circle triple in size every time you just twitch with the gun and need to re-aim again.

The only passable thing on this tank is gun depression, forward speed and being relatively small target if you peak over the ridge but everything else which actually matters for TD is garbage.

anonym_sfDyoWv7xpoS #13 Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:35 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

I survived, and actually enjoyed playing the St Emil, so I can't quit yet before I have managed to succeed in this tank. Others have managed to make it work, so it must be possible without going bald in the process.

I must admit that I have not had problems penning shots, so in that respect the gun has been behaving for me (discounting the usual RNG foam at the mouth experiences that we all get).

Enforcer1975 #14 Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:50 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20973 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

I thought you play any TD just by driving to the next bush preferably far behind the lines and wait for a tank to click....

:bush:

anonym_sfDyoWv7xpoS #15 Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:05 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostEnforcer1975, on 23 November 2017 - 12:50 PM, said:

I thought you play any TD just by driving to the next bush preferably far behind the lines and wait for a tank to click....

:bush:

Trouble is that  Wargaming has removed most of the bushes that are to be found right on the edge of the map in the corners and those that are left are usually full of  arty:deer:

Dr_Oolen #16 Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:08 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22359 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
Playing grille in this meta, lol. Is probably the 2nd/3rd worst t10 td currently.

Derethim #17 Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:09 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17840 battles

View Post_Avenger_SRB_, on 23 November 2017 - 11:54 AM, said:

Snorkel ... open-topped tank. Snorkel.

K.

:D

Anyways a lot of people use it to quickly peek a corner, fire and retreat. The chassis is pretty low and the mantlet is hard-to-hit as it is slim. It should really get less gun bloom on movement tho.

anonym_sfDyoWv7xpoS #18 Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:13 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostDr_Oolen, on 23 November 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

Playing grille in this meta, lol. Is probably the 2nd/3rd worst t10 td currently.

Possibly, but I like paper panzers, just this one doesn't like me so far

Just watched a video during lunch break of a guy doing 9 k damage on derpenberg, fighting from the TD hill by the castle.  He worked the hill well, but he was constantly spotted and most of the time within direct line of fire from the heavies at the castle  and yet none of them even tried to shoot him.  If I tried that I would be looking at the garage walls again.  Maybe I have just been jinxed with always meeting players who know how to point and shoot:(

clixor #19 Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:29 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 52021 battles

View PostMothless, on 23 November 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

Just watched a video during lunch break of a guy doing 9 k damage on derpenberg, fighting from the TD hill by the castle.  He worked the hill well, but he was constantly spotted and most of the time within direct line of fire from the heavies at the castle  and yet none of them even tried to shoot him.  If I tried that I would be looking at the garage walls again.  Maybe I have just been jinxed with always meeting players who know how to point and shoot:(

I don't think it's particular good idea to base a tanks performance played against bots. Perhaps grille was a bit OP when released but nerf hammer was too hard imo. With a paper td you just need something like excellent DPM and/or equal  good gun handling.

And if you compare grille to something like the new Badger than the Grille is just laughable really.

anonym_sfDyoWv7xpoS #20 Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
I also watched a German player do 11k on Cliff from the south spawn. He ran quickly up to a position on the south east corner of the small hill and did a great job of contesting the main hill and the plateau before eventually driving basically everywhere to help out.  I did learn a couple of new positions for  this sort of TD play on Cliff, so that has been a help.  He managed to snap shoot  an RU whilst at full speed on the way to the hill at the beginning and ammo rack it - talk about a prodigious start!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users