Jump to content


So all I need to becomes unicums is this magic "game awareness"?


  • Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

TheOddRogue #1 Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:55 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 9985 battles
  • 437
  • Member since:
    08-08-2012

Does it come with fort knox?

 

On a serious note, could any of you better players, not necessarily Unicrons, elaborate? I mean I keep check of the map, I use maximap, I usually respond adequately. Sure I sometimes tunnelvision, especially when sniping. I try to take quick glance at the team lists before battle starts, sometimes I forget to do that, and I check if there are particularly nasty tanks that I'm vulnerable to and keep that in mind. Also a nasty habit is to see if I recognize a clan tag, to see if they're from a better clan and hence a better player. 

 

Sometimes I just don't know how to respond to a change in the game, or rather, how to best respond to a change during battle, but I guess that's something that comes more with experience, intuition and a good dab of intelligence, something even a unicums couldn't hammer into my head. 

 

Also something that I believe gets into my way alot is that i'm an emotional player, I get pissed of alot and sometimes I'd rather [edited]over this guys who's gone on my nerves and start focusing on that rather than playing well and having an optimal impact. 

 

 



qpranger #2 Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:01 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 31063 battles
  • 5,061
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-25-2013
Most of the unicums attained their unicdom some time ago, before the game began to fall apart with increasingly unbalanced match setups. Shorter matches with one team falling apart from the first seconds = less chances to rack up damage and affect the result.

xx984 #3 Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:01 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 52178 battles
  • 2,279
  • [GO-IN] GO-IN
  • Member since:
    08-11-2013

Just respond to everything how you think you should, See what works for you, If it didnt work, try and see what went wrong and what you could of done differently, and then when you are in a situation like that again, try and do what you should of done before. 

 

Thats at least what i used to do, and still sometimes do, You'll never go from where you are now instantly into a super unicorn, it takes time to improve, so just have patience, and if you keep trying your best you'll get there :)



Kozzy #4 Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:03 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 38794 battles
  • 2,675
  • [EAB2] EAB2
  • Member since:
    06-29-2011
I would recommend watching videos from purple players especially ones where there is plenty of explaining going on.  I find LemmingRush is quite good and describing what he's doing, what he's thinking and why he does stuff.  The biggest positive change to my play style (learnt from good player's videos) is when to move away from a fight.  Before, I would just keep fighting until my target or I were dead.  Now I fight until I lose the advantage in that particular fight and then try to relocate.

clixor #5 Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:05 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 50183 battles
  • 2,986
  • Member since:
    08-07-2011

View Postqpranger, on 23 November 2017 - 02:01 PM, said:

Most of the unicums attained their unicdom some time ago, before the game began to fall apart with increasingly unbalanced match setups. Shorter matches with one team falling apart from the first seconds = less chances to rack up damage and affect the result.

 

Just like QB said on one of his last streams. It's like hordes of zombies trying to get themself killed as fast as possible. Outcome of battles are more and more determined on which teams teams zombies fail to get themselves killed first. Either way potential for damage is indeed way more limited, especially if you like to take chances and try to win.

K_A #6 Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:08 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 13577 battles
  • 4,666
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    04-18-2013

Buy fort knox and press 2 to win :trollface:

 

 

On a more serious note, it's just what you said. Trial and error is the way to get better at the magic "map awareness" thing. After the battle stop for a second to think what actually happened in that battle, and what you did right/wrong. Then the next time you'll have some more thought out options on what to try. Sometimes you'll have to try and predict something happening in a minute or two and react to it before it happens instead of waiting for it to happen.



zen_monk_ #7 Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:09 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Clan Diplomat
  • 25307 battles
  • 457
  • Member since:
    05-08-2011
The secret of my success is keeping the lake close by.

Enforcer1975 #8 Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:12 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 19761 battles
  • 10,259
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    05-04-2014

View PostKozzy, on 23 November 2017 - 02:03 PM, said:

I would recommend watching videos from purple players especially ones where there is plenty of explaining going on.  I find LemmingRush is quite good and describing what he's doing, what he's thinking and why he does stuff.  The biggest positive change to my play style (learnt from good player's videos) is when to move away from a fight.  Before, I would just keep fighting until my target or I were dead.  Now I fight until I lose the advantage in that particular fight and then try to relocate.

This.

LemmingRush indeed has some good advice especially explaining how stuff works. I got some good turn of events questioning what i did wrong in some situations and try not to repeat them. It all takes time ofc. Nothing happens overnight. 



AngelofAwe #9 Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:17 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • WGL PRO Player
  • 39030 battles
  • 3,057
  • Member since:
    12-24-2011
Well... are you "looking" at the minimap or are you "reading" the minimap.

Situational awareness isn't just about what is where at this moment but reading and predicting the flow of the battle, where the enemies are going to move, where they are looking and where the tanks that are unspotted are.

Ideally you should be able to predict the "future" of every tank on the minimap and act accordingly before anything happens.
Doing so perfectly is of course impossible but to some extent it becomes instinct through experience. Trial and error. The more you play and think about what's going on the more you'll understand the thought processes of the others in your matches and know what they will do even before they know it themselves. 

P.S. This is also why I and many others hate "weekend teams" and "x5 events" and everything of the sort.
All your instinctual knowledge and predictions go out the window because people play completely differently all of a sudden to achieve whatever the event forces them to do. 

Edited by AngelofAwe, 23 November 2017 - 02:31 PM.


Cobra6 #10 Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:17 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 16314 battles
  • 15,288
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    09-17-2010

View PostTheOddRogue, on 23 November 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

 

Sometimes I just don't know how to respond to a change in the game, or rather, how to best respond to a change during battle, but I guess that's something that comes more with experience, intuition and a good dab of intelligence, something even a unicums couldn't hammer into my head. 

 

 

This takes time indeed, for a lot of people they start to improve after roughly 10000 battles.

 

Also, don't play when you are pissed off because it negatively impacts your playstyle.

 

Also also, believe it or not but looking back at your own replays, looking at the minimap then and learning from your own mistakes can have a big impact as well because you know what you were thinking at the time when playing but looking back at it in a replay, do you still think the same thing or can you spot where you made a lapse in judgement? :)

 

If you want to become a better player/unicum that comes with a burden as well, it means that even if your team [edited]up it is still your responsibility to fix it, with this I mean:

- If you see the enemy going for your base and your flank is steamrolling theirs, it's your responsibility to go back to base and defend.

- If your flank is steamrolling and you see a light rushing though the other flank/middle going for you support tanks, it's your responsibility to go back.

- If you are full health and the guy next to you is a one shot, consider catching a shot for him even if he is a random pleb, so you can keep two guns in play.

What I'm trying to say is that you don't only compensate for your own mistakes but you have to start compensating for the mistakes of your team as well.

 

I used to be a steady 57%'er with 2100/2200 wn8 average for the longest time playing all classes but mostly support role, long range sniping etc. and playing reactively but there is only so much you can do with that playstyle because you are always reacting to circumstances, not instigating them.

Since a year or two I've changed my playstyle to a much more aggressive one placing myself pretty much always on the front line, instigating engagements, spotting that sort of thing and you know what? My performance improved, my stats rose steadily and I actually started having a lot more fun as well.

You can not become a truly good player if you only play reactively because you then are not the one making decisions, you are just reacting to the enemies's decisions.

As a bonus this active/aggressive playstyle will force you to start making (better) decisions faster meaning there are less instances where you don't know what to do or at least have a semi competent plan.

 

Cobra 6


Edited by Cobra6, 23 November 2017 - 02:39 PM.


Junglist_ #11 Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:20 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 35453 battles
  • 1,323
  • Member since:
    06-17-2013

View Postqpranger, on 23 November 2017 - 01:01 PM, said:

Most of the unicums attained their unicdom some time ago, before the game began to fall apart with increasingly unbalanced match setups. 

Explain how people have unicum recents then



Cobra6 #12 Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:23 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 16314 battles
  • 15,288
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    09-17-2010

View PostJunglist_, on 23 November 2017 - 01:20 PM, said:

Explain how people have unicum recents then

 

Luck and Goldammo of course, all stats are luck we know that already :hiding:

 

Cobra 6



qpranger #13 Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:23 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 31063 battles
  • 5,061
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-25-2013
So many players out there think they are pretty good but the only thing they are really good at is relying on abundant gold ammo and the 6th sense cheat while stifling their own natural intuition. You don't need that lamp to read the game.

Edited by qpranger, 23 November 2017 - 02:27 PM.


Junglist_ #14 Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:26 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 35453 battles
  • 1,323
  • Member since:
    06-17-2013

View Postqpranger, on 23 November 2017 - 01:23 PM, said:

So many players out there think they are pretty good but the only thing they are really good at is relying on the 6th sense cheat while stifling their own natural intuition. You don't need that lamp to read the game.

 

Yes please teach me how to reach the fantastic mediocre level youre at. Do I also need to use a bot or is it enough if I label some of the game mechanics as cheats and stop using them?

Schepel #15 Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:29 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 57117 battles
  • 2,994
  • Member since:
    05-13-2013

View PostTheOddRogue, on 23 November 2017 - 01:55 PM, said:

Does it come with fort knox?

 

On a serious note, could any of you better players, not necessarily Unicrons, elaborate? I mean I keep check of the map, I use maximap, I usually respond adequately. Sure I sometimes tunnelvision, especially when sniping. I try to take quick glance at the team lists before battle starts, sometimes I forget to do that, and I check if there are particularly nasty tanks that I'm vulnerable to and keep that in mind. Also a nasty habit is to see if I recognize a clan tag, to see if they're from a better clan and hence a better player. 

 

Sometimes I just don't know how to respond to a change in the game, or rather, how to best respond to a change during battle, but I guess that's something that comes more with experience, intuition and a good dab of intelligence, something even a unicums couldn't hammer into my head. 

 

Also something that I believe gets into my way alot is that i'm an emotional player, I get pissed of alot and sometimes I'd rather [edited]over this guys who's gone on my nerves and start focusing on that rather than playing well and having an optimal impact. 

 

 

 

Look at both teams before ther game starts. You can, most of the time, fairly accurately predict what is going to happen. The number of 'sensible' solutions for any given tank at most maps is severely limited. (Of course, a lot of people opt for bad solutions, but always assume the enemy team is capable.) Then ask yourself: how can I screw with the enemy game plan? Work from there. Like others said: it is not so much a question of who is where at a certain moment, it is a question of who is going where in the next 15 seconds.

ramram70 #16 Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:30 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 8130 battles
  • 325
  • Member since:
    02-02-2013

View PostKozzy, on 23 November 2017 - 03:03 PM, said:

I would recommend watching videos from purple players especially ones where there is plenty of explaining going on.  I find LemmingRush is quite good and describing what he's doing, what he's thinking and why he does stuff.  The biggest positive change to my play style (learnt from good player's videos) is when to move away from a fight.  Before, I would just keep fighting until my target or I were dead.  Now I fight until I lose the advantage in that particular fight and then try to relocate.

 

It would be also a good idea to watch said purple players' fails so you get to see what not to do (yeah, like you wouldn't know it already). Claus mentioned it the other day in one of his "Almost great" -videos. It seemed like a very good idea.

 

Are there such videos or is watching live streams the only way to see and realize they don't always get the 4k-10k dmg games?

 

And that sounds familiar, " I would just keep fighting until my target or I were dead". That's definitely my play style when engaged to enemy. All I see is the "dmg done" indicator, nothing else. That is when I'm not pussying behind hard cover trying desperately to survive, of course.

 

 


Edited by ramram70, 23 November 2017 - 02:34 PM.


Cobra6 #17 Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:32 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 16314 battles
  • 15,288
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    09-17-2010

View Postramram70, on 23 November 2017 - 01:30 PM, said:

 

 

Are there such videos or is watching live streams the only way to see and realize they don't always get the 4k-10k dmg games?

 

 

 

Only watching livestreams, no youtuber a part from Claus uploads failmatches :teethhappy:

 

Cobra 6



Mimos_A #18 Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:32 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 22118 battles
  • 1,833
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L
  • Member since:
    05-30-2015

Check the tanks on both teams before you decide where to go. Can you expect backup, is there a flank that's obviously going to be lost? React accordingly by either pushing the other flank hard and fast or supporting the tanks that might lose so at least they don't die for free.

 

Use your HP in a sensible manner. Don't piss away hitpoints for no reason, but don't be afraid to use them when you need to as well.

 

Try to be an active part of the team, don't just let the battle happen. Even if you're not in the best tank or position, you can always harrass, annoy, distract etc. Sometimes purely the fact that you're there is enough to discourage the enemy team from pushing or flanking your allies.

 

Don't be afraid to run. Not every fight is worth dying for, if you can't win, run on time so you keep your gun in the game. Doesn't mean you should run at the first sign of trouble, just don't overcommit too quickly and don't stick around when there's no point.

 

In any case, if you want to improve never just be content with "ah well, team sucked, we lost". While of course you just lose battles because your team sucks, never ever use it as an excuse to not analyse what you could have done better personally.


Edited by Mimos_A, 23 November 2017 - 02:34 PM.


shishx_the_animal #19 Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

    Colonel

  • WGL PRO Player
  • 30514 battles
  • 3,861
  • [FAME] FAME
  • Member since:
    04-06-2013
I just buy a Fort Knox and that's it. Can't be arsed to look at the minimap... just press M and be done with it!

qpranger #20 Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 31063 battles
  • 5,061
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-25-2013

View PostJunglist_, on 23 November 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

 

Yes please teach me how to reach the fantastic mediocre level youre at. Do I also need to use a bot or is it enough if I label some of the game mechanics as cheats and stop using them?

 

Why would you want to stoop down to my honest average level? You cling to your stat-padding with those official crutches of gold ammo and 6th sense. Suum cuique.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users