the xp calculation in this game is awful...

XP

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

haha_ufail #1 Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:28 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 22596 battles
  • [CHLHW] CHLHW

ive been watching my xp income in tier 10 games for over 20+ games now and ive noticed that it makes absolutly no sense what so ever... 

ive had 2 or 3 games where its all tier 10, 5k damage 3k spotting and 3-4 kills and won, and managed a mere 800-900xp, but my next game in a tier 10 tank tier 8 battle ill go 3000 damage 2k spotting and 2 kills and rack up 1.2k xp, which to me makes aboslutly no sense what so ever.  ill try get a few screenshots of the score / xp over the rest of the day.

Erwin_Von_Braun #2 Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:47 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 38254 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I would go for...

Most of the Tier VIII game damage was done from a range of more than 300m + maybe a lot more critical hit damage to the enemy.

Comrade_Renamon #3 Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:50 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9835 battles

It is possible that the 2k spotting was done by T8 against T10/T9 which will result in much more exp due to the tier difference so I would not be surprised that it weights so much into it. This is why spotting damage can be very rewarding but on the other hand you can end up with not that much exp for a lot of spotting.

haha_ufail #4 Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:46 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 22596 battles
  • [CHLHW] CHLHW

View PostComrade_Renamon, on 23 November 2017 - 07:50 PM, said:

It is possible that the 2k spotting was done by T8 against T10/T9 which will result in much more exp due to the tier difference so I would not be surprised that it weights so much into it. This is why spotting damage can be very rewarding but on the other hand you can end up with not that much exp for a lot of spotting.

nah, what i mean was that both games i was in a tier 10 tank, i did far better in the full tier 10 game and got less xp then the top tier in a tier 8-9-10 game... which to me makes no sense

SuedKAT #5 Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:51 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Posthaha_ufail, on 23 November 2017 - 09:46 PM, said:

nah, what i mean was that both games i was in a tier 10 tank, i did far better in the full tier 10 game and got less xp then the top tier in a tier 8-9-10 game... which to me makes no sense

Well without the result screens + the detailed result screen it's impossible to tell why, but as Erwin_Von_Braun mentioned above if you for example did a large portion of the damage at long range in one game and the opposite in the other you most likely just got 50% XP for most of the damage in one game and full XP in the other, but without anything to go by that's just speculation.

Balc0ra #6 Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:22 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66296 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
Depends. Did you hit equal tiers or lower tiers? Was your kills equal or lower? If you did 3K damage on your own spotting, and much of the 5K on others spotting.. it will make a huge difference. How many first spots did you get, or did you spot arty first or not. There are so many small bonuses that if you do none one game, and all the next game. There will be a gap. And assist XP counts for nothing. As 10K assist with 0 damage on a tier X game gives 400 xp anyway.

Edited by Balc0ra, 23 November 2017 - 10:22 PM.

Comrade_Renamon #7 Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9835 battles

View Posthaha_ufail, on 23 November 2017 - 08:46 PM, said:

I think you misunderstood, in a full T10 game you will get normal amount of exp as you are shooting other T10 targets and spot for T10 tanks.

In the 3/5/7 match it is possible that you were spotting T9/T10 tanks for your T8 tanks, you get 50% of the exp they get for the damage and since they get increased experience from shooting higher tiers could result in bigger exp output.

Other things that can also influence this:

- Targets were less than 200 meters away (close combat bonus)

- Possible not all of your damage in the full T10 game was spotted by yourself.

Without the detailed results it is hard to pinpoint exactly, but in general you can get better exp results in mixed matches.

AliceUnchained #8 Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:33 AM

General

• Player
  • 38414 battles
  • [322] 322

View Posthaha_ufail, on 23 November 2017 - 09:46 PM, said:

Quite likely as Top Tier you played more aggressively and spotted the vehicles you damaged yourself, while in the full Tier X game others did the spotting for you and thus you only received 50% of the 'normal' XP. I am aware of the numbers you wrote down in your starting post, but for all we know they're made up. Furthermore, not all of the assisted damage may be on targets spotted by you. It could just as easily have been assisted damage through tracking. Fact you refer to assisted damage as spotting damage already tells me you paid no attention to detail, and most likely got your numbers wrong.

A replay + Screen shot of end result details would go a long way to clear up this confusion. But in all honesty, I am fairly confident you should be able to figure out this big mystery yourself by simply checking this page: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Battle_Mechanics#Experience_and_Credits

Bennie182 #9 Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:03 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 53738 battles
  • [WGL-A] WGL-A
I'd say the xp gaining between toptier, midtier and bottomtier, is not balanced at all. I had several games the last few days in my AMX40 in which I did more damage/assist/blocking tier for tier then other players, but still get less xp then they do. Speaking of tanks like VK3001H and M4 Sherman for example, which can easily damage their own tier or higher.

Geno1isme #10 Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:29 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 42710 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT
Team-Performance-Bonus.

AliceUnchained #11 Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:04 PM

General

• Player
  • 38414 battles
  • [322] 322

View PostBennie182, on 24 November 2017 - 12:03 PM, said:

I'd say the xp gaining between toptier, midtier and bottomtier, is not balanced at all. I had several games the last few days in my AMX40 in which I did more damage/assist/blocking tier for tier then other players, but still get less xp then they do. Speaking of tanks like VK3001H and M4 Sherman for example, which can easily damage their own tier or higher.

You obviously have no clue how it even works. As there is a bonus for damaging higher Tiers and a malus for damaging lower Tiers. I'm sure were you to provide the replay of those games, and/or screen shots with detailed end results we could easily explain the difference in XP. As your 'I did more damage/assist/blocking tier for tier' is vague at best and probably far removed from the reality of those games played./

Bennie182 #12 Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:56 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 53738 battles
  • [WGL-A] WGL-A

View PostAliceUnchained, on 24 November 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

You obviously have no clue how it even works. As there is a bonus for damaging higher Tiers and a malus for damaging lower Tiers. I'm sure were you to provide the replay of those games, and/or screen shots with detailed end results we could easily explain the difference in XP. As your 'I did more damage/assist/blocking tier for tier' is vague at best and probably far removed from the reality of those games played.

Obviously I do know that shooting higher tier tanks gains more xp, but lower tiers should gain more xp then higher tiers do for the same stuff. I doubt I can find those replays, as I usually delete a lot once in a while. Still, with a replay you won't be able to know on what tanks that other player did damage on, only which tanks he/she destroyed.

jabster #13 Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:25 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12537 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostBennie182, on 24 November 2017 - 12:56 PM, said:

Obviously I do know that shooting higher tier tanks gains more xp, but lower tiers should gain more xp then higher tiers do for the same stuff. I doubt I can find those replays, as I usually delete a lot once in a while. Still, with a replay you won't be able to know on what tanks that other player did damage on, only which tanks he/she destroyed.

So you deleted your replays yesterday or today then?

gav00 #14 Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:29 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 7996 battles

Unfortunately the XP/credits algorithm dosent reward people who play for the team.

If lower tier vehicles have made a push through a flank and you manage to take them all out, you should really get rewarded for that.

But some guy who goes off without the team and takes out a load of high tier base campers, they get a better reward. 

Bennie182 #15 Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 53738 battles
  • [WGL-A] WGL-A

View Postjabster, on 24 November 2017 - 02:25 PM, said:

So you deleted your replays yesterday or today then?

Last Tuesday I deleted them, but I played so many battles that it would take hours to find which one's I need :/

I knew a question like yours would come, but forgot to keep the replays ready and I don't know where to safely upload screenshots I made, as mostly people only trust wotreplays.com

View Postgav00, on 24 November 2017 - 02:29 PM, said:

Unfortunately the XP/credits algorithm dosent reward people who play for the team.

If lower tier vehicles have made a push through a flank and you manage to take them all out, you should really get rewarded for that.

But some guy who goes off without the team and takes out a load of high tier base campers, they get a better reward. 

I've had loads of battles in my AMX40 the last few days against tier 5 or 6 where higer tier players basecamped most of the match, then come out and clean up. Guess what: me and others did all the work, while he gets free xp and ends up somewhere in top 3.

Also lost loads of battles because of higher tier players (a lot of tier 6 matches) and toptier heavy camps redline)

gav00 #16 Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:39 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 7996 battles

Would it perhaps make sense if more XP/Credits were awarded the more effective the enemy was?

IE Taking out a tank with a few thousand damage done and several kills would award more than taking out someone who had done nothing.

Just an idea

AliceUnchained #17 Posted 24 November 2017 - 03:10 PM

General

• Player
  • 38414 battles
  • [322] 322

View PostBennie182, on 24 November 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

If you inflict 500 damage to a Tier VI with your Tier IV AMX 40 you will get more XP than a Tier VI inflicting 500 damage to another Tier VI. So contrary to what you seem to imply here, you do gain more XP for doing the same 'stuff'. And while a replay won't reveal everything, if that other player happened to be near enough you can quite easily observe to which targets their damage was inflicted (even if just partially). It's also possible to gain some insights through the mini map. Simply put, far more can be derived from replays than you seem aware off. So next time, just provide a replay rather than excuses as to why you have none and how it would be helpful anyway. M'kay?

jabster #18 Posted 24 November 2017 - 03:48 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12537 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostBennie182, on 24 November 2017 - 01:33 PM, said:

Last Tuesday I deleted them, but I played so many battles that it would take hours to find which one's I need :/

I knew a question like yours would come, but forgot to keep the replays ready and I don't know where to safely upload screenshots I made, as mostly people only trust wotreplays.com

So you have two days of replays which you can’t be bothered to go through, fair enough. If you have screen shots then just upload them to an image hosting site and link them here.

Of course if you have the screen shots that should allow you to quickly narrow down the replays you need.

Edited by jabster, 24 November 2017 - 03:48 PM.

Pvt_Duffer #19 Posted 24 November 2017 - 03:57 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 16658 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostBennie182, on 24 November 2017 - 01:33 PM, said:

Juts post the replays to Wot-replays.com, it'll figure out  what the end screens looked like.

Additionaly, instead of just deleting your replays periodically, why not move them to a back up folder first.

Then you can use something like Wot-replay analyzer to find the replays you need.

[0.9.20.1] WoT Replay Analyzer - WIP #2 (30.10.2017)

SuedKAT #20 Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:53 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostBennie182, on 24 November 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

I don't know where to safely upload screenshots I made, as mostly people only trust wotreplays.com

There are many options, I tend to use this site for uploading pics: http://postimages.org/

Then just press this button:

Copy the direct link to the pic you uploaded earlier and past it into the URL field and press OK (might take a little while at times for it to load). If it's multiple pics you might want to consider putting them in a spoiler, there is a button just down and a bit left from the image button for this.

Regarding calculating XP, to get a decent picture of what might have happened we need all three screens from the results, to know what tanks you hit, how much of it was done at a distance, how much you spotted your self and so on. However without a replay it will just be a calculated guess since the results screens won't for example tell us which tank you shoot at a long distance and which tank you spotted, if all the assistance damage is spotting or if you tracked someone as well and so on.

Also tagged with XP

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users