Charioteer 2.0

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Doug_DeMuro #1 Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:38 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 35235 battles

Old thread is dead (thanks Obama) so here's a new one. Heck, tank buff, new thread. Still not fine by me but you know.... anyway

Since its introduction in December 2014 (geez, that's coming close to being 3 years now) the Charioteer has always been a little specialty. It's either extremely frustrating or a rockstar of a tank. However, WG gave it a slight flexibility improvement by adding more gun depression. I rebought the Charioteer to answer the question: has it worked?

Well, hmeh. I still like the tank, it's a great little thing. However, the gun can be quite arse sometimes. The bloom and accuracy are on low level ever still. Camo is still okay-ish but not incredible, turret adds flexibility but it turns godawfully slow, accuracy makes reliable sniping impossible, penetration is great but derpy here and there. HESH premium ammo, not worth it. The normalization absolutely cripples it. I much rather use the normal HESH to see a HEAT round with 300-ish pen make its introduction. Am I encouraging gold ammo here? Yes, but it would just work for me.

The flexibility increase definitely made the tank less terrible. However, with the current tier 8 standard, the tank has a long way to go before it's actually good, it's now just peculiar with some novelty specs. Tbh, I play it next to the M4A1 Rev, which is the same tank with better soft stats but less pen. I prefer that atm. But still, it's a special tank, it's a lovable tank and it's a tank we need in the game. It's a classic, British piece of awesomeness.

Praise. Round 2. Go.

Brodie_ #2 Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 96480 battles

Charioteer is one of my favorite tanks in the game!

Only the. UDES comes close to it at tier 8 for me! (or equal...)

The one thing that you must absolutely always do without any (& I mean any!) exceptions,  with the charioteer!

Is always fully aim your shots with it!

Do that!

Problem fixed... 

Cheers! 

P. S. Rng screws everything sometimes... 

Edited by Brodie_, 31 January 2018 - 11:03 PM.

NikToo #3 Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:13 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16530 battles
I can't get on with the Charioteer. Does it need camo net? Just got the middle gun and it can't pen anything. Having 0 dmg battles in it because everything bounces.

MickShagger #4 Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:31 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 19618 battles
This grind is just horrible. +40k xp for what? Some gun that has minimal improvements over the stock gun...

Nemenyi #5 Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 51358 battles
  • [ST0RM] ST0RM
They want you to spend gold for free XP. I always say 'no, never' in the beginning of a grind. But after suffering a lot I spend the gold and buy the XP. This is how WoT works.

Thuis001 #6 Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:56 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5981 battles

View PostNemenyi, on 21 February 2018 - 05:16 PM, said:

They want you to spend gold for free XP. I always say 'no, never' in the beginning of a grind. But after suffering a lot I spend the gold and buy the XP. This is how WoT works.

Yeah, welcome to WoT with one of THE worst monetization mechanisms (essentially torturing players with bad tanks untill they break and spend money) and yes, that Type A, Type B gun is absolute ******** like srsly why the hell is that? To force people to spend gold. This is just one item on the long list of things that would improve as soon as WoT has a good competetor. 

yessuz #7 Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:16 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 14327 battles
  • [KRYST] KRYST

View PostMickShagger, on 19 February 2018 - 05:31 PM, said:

This grind is just horrible. +40k xp for what? Some gun that has minimal improvements over the stock gun...

this is same as it was in caernarvon before 32 pounder. from 20 pdr A to 20 pdr B there were almost no improvement.. but the top gun is... yummy.

essentially - almost Skorpion G :)

Doug_DeMuro #8 Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:16 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 35235 battles

View PostNikToo, on 16 February 2018 - 02:13 PM, said:

I can't get on with the Charioteer. Does it need camo net? Just got the middle gun and it can't pen anything. Having 0 dmg battles in it because everything bounces.

Middle gun is rather crappy, the 105 is where it's at. And I'd say yes to the camonet on any turreted TD. Charioteer can be surprisingly sneaky with good camo skills and camonet.

Malakhi75 #9 Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:43 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 27226 battles
  • [ENZYM] ENZYM

Whats with the aim time?  Its glacial....seriously its awful.  And the accuracy, wow shot don't even land in the same postcode.  And, don't give me the 'fully aimed' bull crap....they are fully aimed.  But, they fly all over the place.  I'm not sure I've ever had one bang on target yet, all slightly off then some....wow, the 'gunner is drunk again'.

I love the mobility and the camo seems adequate, but the gun.  Its awful.

MickShagger #10 Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:54 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 19618 battles

View PostPoIestar, on 22 February 2018 - 11:16 PM, said:

Middle gun is rather crappy, the 105 is where it's at. And I'd say yes to the camonet on any turreted TD. Charioteer can be surprisingly sneaky with good camo skills and camonet.

Removed the camonet and now playing with rammer, GLD and binos. The lack of view range lost me so many games in end game situations. And with camo skills this tank is actually quite sneaky without a net.

Kalann #11 Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:51 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 34688 battles

Sorry but the gun is god damn awful. that 105mm in the REAL world is one of the most accurate guns in the world, but in game, it is 100% pants.. misses at 100m fully aimed, the aim time is glacial.. compare the charioteer with the Skorpion.. similar mobility, camo, hp's, armour etc, but the Skorpion even as a premium is good because it's gun is MILES better than a charioteers can even dream of, more alpha, miles more accuracy, way faster aim time..

The gun needs a massive buff to bloom and dispersion as well as aim time, I'm not talking small here, half all of them and it might, just might become competitive with a tier 8 premium, hell the KV2#s 155 derp is more accurate than the charioteer's royal ordnance 105mm.

And this is with a 300% crew in it...

TungstenHitman #12 Posted 03 September 2018 - 03:01 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 34130 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

Agreed, the gun choice and their stats make absolutely no f***ing sense whatsoever and if that's not bad enough in itself, the xp sink to get to that woolly handling top gun is even more off putting than the Leopard grind at tier9 and as mentioned, the gun is inferior in almost every possible way that matters when compared to the ScorpG... and WG say this isn't a pay to win game? ahaha! I'm only sorry I didn't study the gun choices and their stats before I took on this grind but since unlocking the Charioteer I have not once but twice declined a nice weekend discount to buy it and take it on. In fact, until this tank gets some sensible buffs to it's gun and a 10m buff to it's view range, it can go f*** itself heavily until then.

To expand on just why this tank makes no sense, take a look at it compared to the tier7 Challenger and compare to a comparable gunned tier8 medium and of course, the Skorp and it becomes clear just how illogical this tanks gun selection and stats really are. 

https://tanks.gg/compare/challenger?t=charioteer_001120~charioteer_101123~charioteer~m4a1-rev~skorpion-g 

Alpha - This tank, a tier higher, actually does 50 less alpha than it's tier7 predecessor for not just one but two of it's 3 choice guns, also no better than the M4 Rev. the IS3 and a huge 100 alpha inferior to the similarly turreted SkorpG which is fine, if it wasn't such a useless slow aiming, wobbly handling, .34 dispersion pile of sh** - DUMB

Aim Time - This tank, for ALL 3 of it's gun choices, 2 of which do 50 less alpha as mentioned, also aim significantly slower than the tier7 and somehow slightly worse than an M4 Rev medium tank with similar gun... really? oh and massively slower to aim than the 490 alpha SkorpG which has a bigger 128 caliber gun, how can that possibly make sense? - DUMB + blatant pay to win.

Soft Stats -  up to 30% worse soft stat dispersion than it's tier7, really? even on the 2 smaller caliber guns? both worse soft stats and aim times?- DUMB

BTW the cost of the shell is even slightly more expensive than the bigger alpha tier7 so not only are you doing less damage, more likely to miss with your inferior gun handling but now you also get charged more for it too just to add insult to injury.

The solution

Obvious 

1. 370 goes to 380 view range

2. Stock gun should be changed to the same 32-pdr 280 alpha as the Challengers top gun, how can it ever make sense to not be at least on parity as it's tier7 predecessor? The second gun should be just an improved version xp sink of the 32-pdr but with better aim time, dispersion, soft stats and dpm to actually make it a viable playstyle choice for this tank and finally the top gun needs to be at least a 2 second aim time as standard, better dispersion values and either a dpm increase or alpha increase. For me, preferably an alpha increase from 390 to 440 since an increase to ROF would just run this tank empty with only 30 ammo and I think those changes would totally rectify this TD.

chiggy #13 Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 32040 battles
  • [ROTN1] ROTN1
I don't think there are any issues with the tank itself or the way anyone plays it...…..the issue is the Match Maker.

I have never played a tank that pulls some of the most horrendously poor quality players into its team. There is DEFINITELY something going on behind the scenes here. I can play literally anything else and my loss streak that I suffer ends. I am saying this as man who has played TDs for around 7 years.

Edited by chiggy, 20 September 2018 - 12:57 PM.

Inappropriate_noob #14 Posted 03 November 2018 - 07:58 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 18995 battles
  • [KV1] KV1
So after all the hype it seems like I have unlocked a turd?

VonCarlsson #15 Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:10 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 18021 battles
  • [O_D] O_D

View PostNoobySkooby, on 03 November 2018 - 07:58 PM, said:

I wouldn't say it's a turd. Well, not entirely anyway. If allowed to leverage its mobility and camo, it can be very dangerous.

That being said, it has fallen behind its competition, namely the Skorpion G and upcoming SU-130PM which both offer quite a bit better dispersion values on moving and tank traverse (0.27 vs. 0.25, 0.21) and aim time (2.35 vs. 2.01, 2.21) while at the same time being equipped larger and harder-hitting guns (390 vs. 490, 520) (HESH can't make up for it nor should tanks be balanced around their premium ammunition). The smaller caliber gun should not have to aim for longer or even for as long. Perhaps WG will fix this once they have gathered "sufficient statistical data" in a couple of years or so.

anonym_2melq3kkw9Cd #16 Posted 04 November 2018 - 07:57 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostNoobySkooby, on 03 November 2018 - 09:58 PM, said:

Congratulations on endind constipation.

Inappropriate_noob #17 Posted 21 December 2018 - 12:28 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 18995 battles
  • [KV1] KV1

View Postederfe, on 04 November 2018 - 07:57 AM, said:

Congratulations on endind constipation.

Lol, good one, well i am in the position now to unlock the Conway if i choose to, or I can carry  on and got to get the Wtf auf Pz 4, what do you reckon guys? 

Is the Conway any good?, I know what it leads up seems quite awesome.

P33K #18 Posted 30 July 2019 - 01:56 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 28112 battles
  • [YOKE_] YOKE_

Hated almost every second grinding for 105mm L7 gun, and the B-barrel didn't help that much...

But it seems a totally different tank now with it. Nice pen and dmg + HESH is quite fun on paper td's like strv's and such. :harp: Mobility and camo were already quite decent, but I can't but recommend using free xp for the top gun. It really makes this tank.

Edited by P33K, 30 July 2019 - 01:56 AM.

Zagy_BG #19 Posted 23 October 2019 - 03:32 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 12257 battles
That B-barrel gun is still crap... and I can't figure out why the hell the ammo is so expensive? The 88mm German gun is bigger (B-barrel is 84mm) and is over twice as cheap. And 0.35 accuracy on the L7 gun... in reality this is a hell of an accurate gun, why give it so bad statistics?

Edited by Zagy_BG, 23 October 2019 - 03:40 PM.

Col_Potter #20 Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:21 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 37140 battles

HI there

Now that i am through the grind of this thing i am not sure what i am supposed to do with it ...

Let it rust in garage and not play it because of the shitty gun softstats or sell it and regret it because i cant play a good vehicle anymore....

And on one thing i agree: Hesh is not worth it. It could be useful, but when i try to remember back to my games, it more often did a crapfor damage instead of increase the damage i do on those pesky Borsigs, Scorpions and wheelies.

Good luck to you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users