How do Trees work in the current build?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

koala404 #1 Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:31 AM

Private

• Player
  • 16744 battles

I am really not sure how trees work, and I cannot find anything truly 'current' and 'official' to tell me.  I've come back after a while away, and it seems that trees do absolutely nothing when upright, and I honestly can't tell if they do anything on the ground either.

But bluntly, it seems that I cannot see through them, but that doesn't appear to stop people seeing me.

If anyone can point me to a reasonably current description of camoflage and how trees work with that, it would be great.

Balc0ra #2 Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:59 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66298 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Camo on a tree standing up.. only works from the area and up that's "green". So in a tall forest, you don't have any camo if you are under the trees. And if you are on top of a ridge line that is blocked by tree tops from enemy view. Their sight lines is blocked, and the chance of you getting spotted when firing is smaller by them.

If fully knocked over, the green on a tree works the same way as a bush does. But if it's not fully fallen over, the area above ground is gaps for enemy spotting lines to go past and spot you easier.

Like bushes in general. The 15m rule apply here to. As in if you knock one fully over and park 15m behind it, until the bush is not translucent anymore. Then you have more cover from enemy sight lines that way. Or if you knock several over, you get the double bush effect. And it's even harder to spot you.

Now bushes have different camo value bonuses based on how dense they are. Trees have the same. So some trees give more then others.

Now this was heavily tested upon on different tree types. As seen in this video. Pine is the best one, as it's more dense according to that test. It's 2 years old, but as far as I know. No chances have been made to tree mechanics. That test also revealed that leafless trees give zero camo bonuses. It needs to have some green on it.

Spoiler

Edited by Balc0ra, 24 November 2017 - 01:09 AM.

Pvt_Duffer #3 Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:04 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 16658 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

What Balc0ra said.

I was going to point you to the wiki

which has a link, but it is dead. A full list cannot be found there

AFAIR when upright, trees provide a much smaller camo bonus than most bushes, more when downed but even then, they're pretty thin

Of course felling a tree can give a clue where you are hiding.

environmentCamo
You can use the different objects on the map to provide additional cover. Solid objects like terrain elevations, rocks, houses, or other static objects on the map cannot be seen through and thus always provide 100% camouflage, i.e. you will not be spotted. But also half-transparent objects like bushes or trees (up or felled) provide a camouflage bonus up to 64%, depending on the density of the object. A full list can be found here.

Edited by Pvt_Duffer, 24 November 2017 - 01:10 AM.

250swb #4 Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:32 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 22676 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
The camo potential of a tree is why you see any decent scout and TD player knocking trees over from time to time, but unlike careless players rampaging through a forest they only knock it down when the falling tree isn't going to be seen by the enemy.

HassenderZerhacker #5 Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:34 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 27227 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

View PostBalc0ra, on 24 November 2017 - 12:59 AM, said:

Camo on a tree standing up.. only works from the area and up that's "green". So in a tall forest, you don't have any camo if you are under the trees. And if you are on top of a ridge line that is blocked by tree tops from enemy view. Their sight lines is blocked, and the chance of you getting spotted when firing is smaller by them.

If fully knocked over, the green on a tree works the same way as a bush does. But if it's not fully fallen over, the area above ground is gaps for enemy spotting lines to go past and spot you easier.

Like bushes in general. The 15m rule apply here to. As in if you knock one fully over and park 15m behind it, until the bush is not translucent anymore. Then you have more cover from enemy sight lines that way. Or if you knock several over, you get the double bush effect. And it's even harder to spot you.

Now bushes have different camo value bonuses based on how dense they are. Trees have the same. So some trees give more then others.

Now this was heavily tested upon on different tree types. As seen in this video. Pine is the best one, as it's more dense according to that test. It's 2 years old, but as far as I know. No chances have been made to tree mechanics. That test also revealed that leafless trees give zero camo bonuses. It needs to have some green on it.

Spoiler

actually this is something I wondered about.

there are trees in the game that have trunks theoretically large enough to conceal a tank behind. will the very large trunks provide camo?

fwhaatpiraat #6 Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:10 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 47313 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View Postkoala404, on 24 November 2017 - 12:31 AM, said:

I am really not sure how trees work, and I cannot find anything truly 'current' and 'official' to tell me.  I've come back after a while away, and it seems that trees do absolutely nothing when upright, and I honestly can't tell if they do anything on the ground either.

But bluntly, it seems that I cannot see through them, but that doesn't appear to stop people seeing me.

At this point, without reading the last line, I thought this was some poetic troll post. :)

Don't trust the camo of trees too much, see image below. There is a lot of 'green' between tanks here, but still people get spotted in both ways.

Edited by fwhaatpiraat, 24 November 2017 - 08:10 AM.

dennez #7 Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:12 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 17323 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postkoala404, on 24 November 2017 - 12:31 AM, said:

I am really not sure how trees work, and I cannot find anything truly 'current' and 'official' to tell me. 

Its pretty simple.. A squirrel climbs in one, stuffs some seeds in his mouth and rushes down to bury them somewhere for the winter.. Then he forgets where he buried them, because he had  his mind on a hot lady squirrel and after awhile the seeds turn in to new trees by magic.

Dont they teach you anything at school?

Balc0ra #8 Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:55 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66298 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Postfwhaatpiraat, on 24 November 2017 - 08:10 AM, said:

At this point, without reading the last line, I thought this was some poetic troll post. :)

Don't trust the camo of trees too much, see image below. There is a lot of 'green' between tanks here, but still people get spotted in both ways.

That's because you are spotting the bridge campers between the trees, not through them. And the tanks going town under the tree line. As none of them are on the ground to give cover there like the bush line along the road up to down does. And why most lights spotting from the bridge knock a tree or two over if doing so. 

HassenderZerhacker #9 Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:13 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 27227 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

does a large tree trunk give camo ? same as a destructible wall ?

anonym_sfDyoWv7xpoS #10 Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:39 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

As with the question of sound in a forest, do trees provide cammo value when there is no one there to make use of it?

If not, then at what stage do they recognize the presence of a tank, and apply their cammo field? Is this variable and what if they forget to make the change?

It appears that they do have varying detection ability for I have been safely buried in a veritable jungle and seen by all and sundry.  The trees are rigged that is for sure:izmena:

Spurtung #11 Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:57 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 63834 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP
Trees work in the following way: they stand up right up to the point when someone knocks them down.

HassenderZerhacker #12 Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:58 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 27227 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

View PostMothless, on 24 November 2017 - 12:39 PM, said:

As with the question of sound in a forest, do trees provide cammo value when there is no one there to make use of it?

If not, then at what stage do they recognize the presence of a tank, and apply their cammo field? Is this variable and what if they forget to make the change?

It appears that they do have varying detection ability for I have been safely buried in a veritable jungle and seen by all and sundry.  The trees are rigged that is for sure:izmena:

hmmm... do you know if the lamp in your fridge really switches off when you close the door?

anonym_sfDyoWv7xpoS #13 Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:29 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostHassenderZerhacker, on 24 November 2017 - 01:58 PM, said:

hmmm... do you know if the lamp in your fridge really switches off when you close the door?

Indeed one may very well pose such a question, but for black Friday, one must assume to achieve such darkness, the light has gone out. In fact one can call to mind Schrödinger's cat.  How does this effect trees and cammo one might thus ponder?

If the premise of Schrödinger's cat applies to a tank hiding in a forest, in principal it is both hidden and not, until observed.  From my experience, once the observed status has been achieved, the tank does not remain in its hidden state but defaults always to visible to all, resulting in my immediate demise.

One must therefore surmise that Wargaming has found the irrefutable proof that the Schrödinger's cat theorem is not worth the paper its written on- -clearly a hax:ohmy:

Edited by Mothless, 24 November 2017 - 02:29 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users