Why play light tank if you are not going to spot

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

lassekille #1 Posted 26 November 2017 - 03:57 AM

Private

• Player
  • 12826 battles
  • [-FRI-] -FRI-

Maybe its just me, but lately there are more and more light tanks doing no spotting (and getting 0 assisted damage).

Why play a light tank if you are going to camp like a b**** or hide behind a heavy?

Are the rewards for spotting too low or are people just not understanding the role of the light tank?

Aoishi #2 Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:07 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 19723 battles
what if it's a city map?

Supakadai #3 Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:09 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 49607 battles

Why spot if nobody cares to shoot at them anyway?

EDIT: just a rhetorical question as someone who is grinding through some lights...

Edited by Supakadai, 26 November 2017 - 04:10 AM.

lassekille #4 Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:59 AM

Private

• Player
  • 12826 battles
  • [-FRI-] -FRI-

I try to grind lights myself and know the frustration when you spot tank after tank, and nobody shoots at them. And I'm not talking about city maps.

On maps with plenty of spotting opportunities, lights hide behind lights and even arty. Often 3 lights go together, leaving one flank wide open.

If you dont want to spot, please dont choose a light tank.

Nickthedevil #5 Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:09 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 22232 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

One word: missions.

I hate arty with a passion but have been playing them a lot recently - one word: missions.

Squale #6 Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:11 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 56266 battles
  • [R0TI] R0TI

Didn't you get the memo from WG ? LTs aren't spotters, they're damage dealers. That's why they created Tier 10 LT, and changed their MM so that LT can be top tier in a 3/5/7 team composition. Watch how unicums play LT , they will spot for themselves and rack up the damage, but will very rarely spot for their team.

Spotting for your team can even be the wrong thing to do. Spot across the middle on Mountain Pass will cause your own team to stop and shoot , when they're in the open showing their sides to the enemy...

brumbarr #7 Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:33 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles
Idk, why do heays camp base? Why do mediums go brawl in the city? Why do tds never move from one spot?
The answer to those is prob the same as to your question.

fighting_falcon93 #8 Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:46 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 29733 battles
One part of the answer to your question could be found in calculating the percentage of maps where you actually can take on a spotting role, i.e. maps where your allies won't spot for themselves.

Edited by fighting_falcon93, 26 November 2017 - 07:47 AM.

Jigabachi #9 Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:14 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17858 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Play some light tanks and you will be able to answer your question yourself.

250swb #10 Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:36 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21699 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postlassekille, on 26 November 2017 - 02:57 AM, said:

Maybe its just me, but lately there are more and more light tanks doing no spotting (and getting 0 assisted damage).

Why play a light tank if you are going to camp like a b**** or hide behind a heavy?

Are the rewards for spotting too low or are people just not understanding the role of the light tank?

In my experience it's the heavy that comes and hides behind a light tank while they are spotting, but the whole question revolves around where you are coming from.

In the corridor map the heavy tanks should know where the enemy are going to be, and in any case they need to commit long before any meaningful spotting can be done because they are often too slow to be able to relocate anyway. The medium tanks often have an equal (or in tier X better) view range, so light tanks have far less to do than in very low tiers, and td's often just sit in one place raging about spotting but by moving forward to the next line of defence they could often solve that problem for themselves. On very few maps does the 'light tank taking up a forward position in a bush' apply. Which means players get more used to the 'shoot and scoot' style and equip their tank for it, the laws of map quality and rotation being that vents and vstab may be more useful overall than a camo net and binos.

Personally I think as the game changes or evolves players should have to think about the role of tanks and not take it for granted lights should play only the spotting role. For example with TD's you have manoeuvrable ones and slow ones, but you don't play them the same, always going to the same camping spot just because it comes under the general title 'TD', the small advantages of each one need to be exploited. And it's the same for light tanks, so start by calling them 'light' and then decide if some but not others are 'scout'. It's easy to spot if an ideal scout tank is being played inappropriately, but worse still is raging that at a shoot-n-scoot damage dealer isn't sitting in a bush.

Edited by 250swb, 26 November 2017 - 09:40 AM.

kiolvi #11 Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:47 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 49373 battles
  • [T-BAD] T-BAD
well WG fucked lights. You cant go agains enemy unless it is a certain oneshot because of the low dpm. And no better view range than a medium tank, it is a big fat joke...

anonym_kL7qtn3e52MB #12 Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:53 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostJigabachi, on 26 November 2017 - 09:14 AM, said:

Play some light tanks and you will be able to answer your question yourself.

Preferably some high tier LT's. That will really point out that the idea of "LT's are for spotting" is wrong.

You should also be aware that some LT's work better in a support role (which looks like they are hiding behind HT's etc.).

The T49 for instance.

Anyway...play more high tier LT's and report back

Edited by Spek_en_Bonen, 26 November 2017 - 09:53 AM.

Hiisi #13 Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:59 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 14461 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

Well maps are nowdays really bad for spotting... you can try to spot, but no one shoots or sees or does not hit or pen. Also arty change was big nerf for lights. 

Because now arty pens light tanks quite often, but does not do a lot damage to heavies. So now arty even focuses lights. 

If i can spot with my light ill do, but often is not possible and i come with less than 500 spotting damage done from the round. 

Also armor buffs was a big hit for spotting damage, because less pens and less spotting damage.

I’m not trying to say that arty was better before, it was stupid. But maps need more open areas scouts to work, in most maps largest open area is like 300 m and thats just too small area scout to benefit its gamo rating on the move.

clixor #14 Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:01 AM

Major

• Player
  • 50404 battles

View PostSquale, on 26 November 2017 - 06:11 AM, said:

Didn't you get the memo from WG ? LTs aren't spotters, they're damage dealers. That's why they created Tier 10 LT, and changed their MM so that LT can be top tier in a 3/5/7 team composition. Watch how unicums play LT , they will spot for themselves and rack up the damage, but will very rarely spot for their team.

Spotting for your team can even be the wrong thing to do. Spot across the middle on Mountain Pass will cause your own team to stop and shoot , when they're in the open showing their sides to the enemy...

Toptier lights are only damage dealers if the team forces them to do so (read, is unable to do dmg themselves). And in that regard, even forgetting about player skill for a moment, ANY tier10 (light or not) is much more valuable than a tier8. That's why it;s absolutely idiotic if a tier10 light does some crazy risky scouting run (or for instance, going field on karelia). And as the battle progesses the value of such a tier10 light goes up by the minute. Having a tier10 light late game with only a few tanks left can be essential (and every case of light carrying is exactly that situation).

So yes, a tier10 light in 3/5/7/ mm IS a damage dealer, but that is the case of EVERY toptier. Toptiers should and have to carry their weight and that's not possible with low hp and/or when they are dead in 2 minutes.

Temid23 #15 Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:22 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 51309 battles
  • [G-STR] G-STR

View Postlassekille, on 26 November 2017 - 03:57 AM, said:

I do not understand role of the light tank! Can You please explain it to me?

I got impression that usual players expect me to: take dmg for them, brawl vs superior tanks, spot all enemy tanks in open within render range from the red line/corner of map, the list goes on and on....

So yea WHAT IS THE ROLE OF THE LIGHT TANKS in current game meta pretty please? :girl:

Matcorr #16 Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:40 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22746 battles
I like playing lights and some games, no matter how many tanks you spot or for how long people just don't shoot. I don't know if they're too dumb to realise they can be winning the game or what. When this happens I stop being a light.

Cobra6 #17 Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:42 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16332 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View Postlassekille, on 26 November 2017 - 02:57 AM, said:

You do realise it's the heavy tanks job to catch shots right? That is why he has the armour.

Then when he has caught the shot, the light tank can pop out and do extra damage.

And no, in World of Corridors there is less and less opportunity to spot properly, at the moment we have a grand total of 2 maps (Campinovka/Prokh) in rotation that allow proper spotting, 4 if you count the copies.

All other maps have loads of city-type areas that make it impossible to spot while all long range opportunities are either open killing grounds where no-one goes or flanks that are irrelevant to the battle (For instance railroad on Himmelsdorf).

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 26 November 2017 - 10:43 AM.

Sir_Bad #18 Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:44 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 44701 battles

View Postclixor, on 26 November 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

Toptier lights are only damage dealers if the team forces them to do so (read, is unable to do dmg themselves).

This is basically the answer to OPs question. As we all know, how "special" random teams are these days, you have to be exceedingly lucky to get the combo of a map, that allows lights to play a pure scouting role + a team, that is actaully able to work with these spots.

Most of the times in randoms, if you don't do it, nobody else will. That's why any light tank these days is a more of a light medium than a spotter.

PointZero #19 Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 42161 battles

Here's one from this morning where I got shot by the nUdes for not doing my job as a LT. Highlighted what the top scoring WZ-131 was doing differently to get rewarded with more XP for playing his LT the correct way.

iztok #20 Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:00 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 35215 battles

> Why play light tank if you are not going to spot

IRONY

95% of players play for fun, not for team. Why would players of light tanks be different? :sceptic:

/IRONY

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users