• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Timewarp76 #1 Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:08 PM

Warrant Officer

• Clan Commander
  • 19380 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

A Rage Story by: Timewarp76

Since the majority of my tanks are not true heavies i.e. "brawlers." For the first time in 17000+ battles I decided to grind a true heavy tank line.

A clan mate said I should try the Japanese Heavy Line for the LULs and me being the easy going guy I am said "sure, why not." Lets give it a go. Since I try my very best to be a great WarGaming supporter, I did the most honorable thing and free XP'ed to tier 5 and thought to myself, you know what? This will be a great place to start the long grind to tier 10. So with that final thought, I gathered my crew, my equipment, a beer and plunged into my first game with the all mighty O-I Experiential.

Well as I had expected, I was slow and lumbering and within seconds of starting the match the first round of Arty came in. No big deal I thought, I've been hit with arty before and I'll just shrug it off and keep playing. Then a few seconds later a second round arrives and stuns me, then a few seconds after that another round comes in and kills my driver, so now as I grind my teeth and fix my tracks and crewmember, I start to move forward again. As I'm looking at the enemy layout, the opposing team had three arty, great I moaned to myself and thought geez I need to get to cover. In the distance, I spotted a spall rock formation, which at this point was like a desert mirage....... I need to get there asap I said to myself. That place will suit my needs and I hit high gear which was a thundering (19kmph) and bolstered across the battlefield to hopefully my saving grace, the rock formation gods. 

I was almost to the rocks when the fourth round of arty came in, blew my tracks and killed my driver again. I screamed, which by the way is way out of character for me, I screamed into teamspeak "OMFG what the hell, I can't believe I am the only target for these plebs to feast on." As I hyperventilated, whipped drool from my chin, and the anger tears out of my eyes and for a few seconds, shook my head to the audience of no one in the room... because I'm a geek sitting alone in my office playing video games. I then took a deep breath and I stared at my mini map thinking surely I am not the only tank spotted? I mean if I am, okay - I understand; but to my dismay, I identified multiple tanks siting in the wide open fields fighting with other enemy tanks yet to their freaking luck, no Arty rounds are visiting their location. Now I'm thinking, these gruby SoB's have it hard for me, perhaps it's the good looks, no that can't be it, I thought. No, perhaps it's the new monitor I picked up on the black Friday special, no, that can't be it, oh yes it must be because I'm in a clan called Beer Belly Master Mindz and they just don't like beer that must be the reason. So I screamed again WTF are they just shooting me and no one else, those sorry gob knockers! Then another round visits me and blows my motor........Scream, scream, scream.

So finally I made it to the rock formation and I was as you might have guessed, by this time fuming and at the same time hiding behind a rock ledge, like a little kid scolded by the teacher whom is about to get sent to the principal’s office. Shaking my head, cracking my knuckles and banging on the desk, I try and decide what actions to take next. Then a slight smile graces my face as I see somehow we are actually leading by tank count. Finally I move out, and to my delight I've moved 50 meters and no arty, 100 meters and no arty, wow a smile is coming back, I scratch my chin, breathe a little lighter and all of a sudden I spot a MT25 in the distance, shoot and score damage baby, 300 dmg and a fire. Oh the lord is great and has some mercy on this kind soul. Victory! Oh sweet, sweet, V-I-C-T-O-R-Y!

So as I site there thinking to myself, how the heck did I just win that battle, "such an awful battle, I've done crap for damage and not much else. I said to myself "screw it, and made up my mind right then and there, man I don't think this tank is for me.

After a few minutes of contemplating and a little online research, I choose to be a good little WarGaming customer and thought I would give the line one more chance and stop while I'm ahead and free xp past the O-I Experimental I mean who wants to ruin a 100% win rate right? So I picked up my tier 6 O-I.

Okay folks of all the raging, screaming and knuckle bouncing I have done over the last few days I have to say, OMG, this tank compared is night and day, well kind of. I mean yes, I still get focused hard by arty every game but I can't complain with the results. After 29 games, I have a 1922 Wn8 and 76% win rate and with this weekend’s x2 for every game I've already earned enough XP to get the O-Ni.

So, I guess I will have to get use to the fact that this line gets focused hard by arty and I will have to dig deep and become zin with the environment around me, perhaps even take up yoga or perhaps I just need more beer to play these tanks? 

So what are your Japanese Tank rage moments? Please tell, I need some rage therapy as well as rage partners, hell give me a support group dammit!

Ceeb #2 Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:12 PM

Major General

• Beta Tester
  • 30124 battles

I'll be honest....

I didn't read it

The_Georgian_One #3 Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:30 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35850 battles
  • [KOFN] KOFN
I must admit, I have little sympathy for Japanese heavy drivers. In fact I focused them a lot when I played arty for mission, cause they usually are difficult for my teammates to take down. Get used to it.

Derethim #4 Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:36 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17266 battles

View PostCeeb, on 27 November 2017 - 03:12 PM, said:

I'll be honest....

I didn't read it

It's well-written, though, I liked OP's post.

Well the O-I exp. for me is a powerful tank, borderline OP frontal armor with literally no weakspots. Sure, there is a little weak line behind the turrets, but hitting it with tanks like Excelsior yields no results.

Otherwise it's a pretty bad tank if you're not top tier.

Dava_117 #5 Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:39 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18981 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

You should have taken some real HT line. I gave up at tier 6. Derpgun is fun, but armour layout is garbage, with bad mobility.

I would suggest you german HT, or soviet superheavy if you search for some real browler.

Edited by Dava_117, 27 November 2017 - 03:43 PM.

DuncaN_101 #6 Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:40 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 52943 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-
That's the case for all of them tho.
Op when toptier. Then mediocre when - 1 and pretty piss poor when - 2 (or that was the case when I ground mine)

Homer_J #7 Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:45 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28206 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
The tier 6 is pretty much the only decent one.  Do yourself a favour and skip the tier 7, 8 and 9.  And free exp the derp gun on the tier 10.  Then play 2 battles, realise how much it costs to run if you want to do more than 200 damage per shot and quietly put it away for good.

Bordhaw #8 Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:49 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 11271 battles

View PostThe_Georgian_One, on 27 November 2017 - 02:30 PM, said:

I must admit, I have little sympathy for Japanese heavy drivers. In fact I focused them a lot when I played arty for mission, cause they usually are difficult for my teammates to take down. Get used to it.

UrQuan #9 Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:57 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 19411 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Read your post & you do highlight the issue with Jap heavies. They suffer from what i call *On/Off armor* Their armor layout doesn't give much room regarding penetration; either you can pen them all day long or you can't, no middle road. this is different for tanks like Maus, VK 100, KV-4, IS-3 & assorted, who all have the factor of 'angling' to increase/decrease protection from penetrating shells.

Due to this, jap heavies aren't all that if you want to feel like wading through enemy lines, feeling badass, their armor isn't reliable enough & the HE gun reloads too slow for it.

Not to mention that the low skill floor of the tank makes it dangerous in even the hands of low skilled players (not saying you are low skilled, just stating a fact) & hence can never be ignored on the battlefield & be focused when possible, to prevent this type of tank to decimate your flank, as most players have trouble handing these tanks.

If you want a brawler tank, the IS-3 line is best imo, as a good brawler tank combines mobility, armor & firepower in one package. Tanks like the jap heavies, KV line & Maus line are actually not that good as brawlers due to their lack of mobility, making it easy to outmaneuver/outflank them in close combat.

As closing note; the jap heavies are all about the HE gun, coupled with their armor. make sure you got a good spot where you can seek cover between reloads & then you can trade quite nicely with them. The armor mainly exists to make you more resilient to low(er) pen guns. Just be wary, due to the armor layout, their armor can go from 'impenetrable' to 'cheese' the moment you face someone who can pen the armor, either by standard high pen or by loading high pen prem ammo.

leggasiini #10 Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:11 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 13206 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

not a post I expected tho 

As someone who has played these a lot, I can say my opinions about each one (tier 5-10):

• Tier 5: Technically great but arty and amount of derp guns at tier 5 makes it kinda [edited]. Really frustrating because of that. The AP gun is pretty lovely tho, that gun handling + DPM is pretty great for a tier 5.
  • Tier 6: Extremely incosistent. Can be fun as a ocassional fun tank for memes but the inconsistency can make it extremely frustrating in long run. Despite all the nerfs it can be absolutely insane in good matchup. 10 cm is bad, your better off playing the T-150.
  • Tier 7: Pretty good IMO, has a shitton of health which is a nice thing on situations where armor doesnt work. Derp handles better than tier 6 but still not exactly well. Has stupidly high view range and surprisingly good acceleration, is not very slow on hills either. 10 cm is alright but derp is still superior.
  • Tier 8: Hardest to play of them all by far, but at same time also the most fun one. Depression problem can make it really confusing and frustrating if you are not prepared for it, however when you handle it can be very fun. The derp is unique because it has the fastest reload of all 15 cm derp guns in the game as well as the best gun handling. The gun is also located extremely high on the turret which means you can do very funky stuff like shooting over rocks and tanks that no other tanks couldnt do or looping shells over some ridges at long ranges.
  • Tier 9: Probably the main reason why Type 5 isnt still as common as you think it would be. Has the longest grind of any tier 9 in the game, and is extremely frustrating, too. Derp with gold HE spam makes it OK overall, but its still really frustrating as the platform is annoying as hell and derp has awful soft stats. Also its super expensive so have fun grinding it without losing all of your money and then having to spam prem tanks all the time. Without gold HE spam its utterly awful and worst tier 9 HT in the game, but at least its cheaper. Your choice.
  • Tier 10: Dont use 14 cm, just dont, its utterly useless. The derp kinda requires gold HE spam still, but you dont play tier 10 for credits. With full gold spam it is extremely powerful because it has 2.9k HP, the derp doesnt even have bad gun handling and reload for that immense amount of alpha, so you can actually do at least 500 pretty reliably, and it has actual ability of angle and sidescrape its armor while retaining the retardproofness of the rest of the line. Its utterly disgusting, I would feel bad for playing it I just wasnt a terrible person already.

Shortly said, tier 5 is good but tier 5 screws it over, tier 6 is great but very inconsistent, tier 7 is also good, tier 8 is has highest skill gap but highest skill ceiling and highest fun value when mastered (most consistent as well), tier 9 is either expensive and frustrating or utter trash and frustrating, and tier 10 is OP and broken as balls but expensive as hell.

Arty becomes less and less of a concern the higher you go, both because at higher tiers arties are less common and because of the fact the armor and HP on Jap HTs grows on much higher rate than the alpha grows on arties. With exception of Type 4, I can say it becomes more fun at higher tiers.

Edited by leggasiini, 27 November 2017 - 04:17 PM.

Balc0ra #11 Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:27 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 65764 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

It stops at tier 6. So don't expect more of the same.  Tier 7 and 8 is night and day there again. Useless AP guns, so you will be using the O-I derp on tier 8 even. Doing 100 damage to a Maus is better then doing nothing with that AP gun "tho the AP gun never had gold ammo until recently". Armor that works 1 out of 10 games, but they have a large HP pool. And even more of an arty magnet.

Tier 9 and 10 were only a bearable grind due to the new derp. Grinding for that gun with the AP guns on the Type 4 is the worst grind in the game. Stock gun lacks even gold pen to be effective vs other super heavies. And people who whine about their armor has never played them. You will die to normal ammo or HE more so then gold spam. The 2K HP is the only thing that will keep you alive.

TheOneAboveAII #12 Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:38 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 13562 battles
  • [S4LT] S4LT
So you get focused by arty when playing sumo derptarded tanks? Cool...let me just write down your ign and put you on my focus list when i next play my M53/M55.

Nishi_Kinuyo #13 Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:56 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 7633 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

To add for the lower tiers: the tier 3 has a godlike gun for its tier, the tier 4 is pretty rubbish.

The tiers 7 and 8 also have the issue with the miniturret placement ruining your frontal gun depression, which you'll need to find a way to work around with.

Rest is as tovarishch Chirisiini said.

Also, the most frustrating moment are, imo, when your miss your derp shots; especially with the Type 260X ones since the shells are very expensive.

Jethro_Grey #14 Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4290 battles
  • [KAIN] KAIN

View PostCeeb, on 27 November 2017 - 03:12 PM, said:

I'll be honest....

I didn't read it

Neither did i, i was just analizing his avatar for a couple of seconds.

View PostDuncaN_101, on 27 November 2017 - 03:40 PM, said:

That's the case for all of them tho.
Op when toptier. Then mediocre when - 1 and pretty piss poor when - 2 (or that was the case when I ground mine)

Was about to read this post, but got - again - distracted by the avatar.

Is the WoT forum becoming the new 4chan? Scary thought...

gunslingerXXX #15 Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:13 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10941 battles

View PostTimewarp76, on 27 November 2017 - 03:08 PM, said:

A Rage Story by: Timewarp76

Wall of text

Nice plot twist at the end :)

I'm trying the Jap Heavies for 2nd or 3rd time now, they are interestingly different... but to darn slow for me. I just keep the OI in garage and will advance the line very, very, very slowly (as they are meant to be played :trollface:)

qpranger #16 Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:17 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 31972 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Nice novel OP but I still prefer War and Peace.

Pandabird #17 Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:46 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33973 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF
No sympathy from me. When they are two tiers higher, you fight a heroic battle, wonder where it is, obliterate the enemy team, notice it's still camping behind the cap haven't done f*** all entire battle yet can oneshoot each of you while it would take maximum effort, multiple teammates and a ton of gold spam to take it down, you do your best to track it while it just sits there right and left clicking and somehow manages to destroy all your battered teammates. you make a last effort to circle it but it backs up against a wall and that bot bunker gun lines up with your tank, you die a little inside.

Edited by Pandabird, 28 November 2017 - 07:49 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users