Food For Thought

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:26 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24115 battles
So I notice as I see screenshots of higher tier players tanks, that it is much more common at these tiers to see experienced players filling one of their 3 consumable items slots with food. Why is that exactly? Why have you dropped typically a fire extinguisher for this, is the gain REALLY that much worth risking going around the map like a torch on tracks? 

THE_JACK_OF_HEARTS #2 Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:28 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9513 battles
crewskill firefighting helps if you have a good crew, I run a couple of tanks on food.

uglycousin #3 Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:30 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 46297 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

View PostTungstenHitman, on 28 November 2017 - 01:26 PM, said:

So I notice as I see screenshots of higher tier players tanks, that it is much more common at these tiers to see experienced players filling one of their 3 consumable items slots with food. Why is that exactly? Why have you dropped typically a fire extinguisher for this, is the gain REALLY that much worth risking going around the map like a torch on tracks? 

Depends on the tank.

I use food on my tier 10 scouts sometimes to get that extra view range and extra cammo. Same with my BC. :)

Lomion_EU #4 Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:31 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 36363 battles
  • [CSW] CSW

For those tanks on which I run food I think that I've only been set on fire a handful of times. 

Some tanks have a very low chance of fire, they may have firefighting trained crews, and fixing both your engine and/or fuel tank when they go yellow resets the damage done to them and takes the chance of fire back down.

So not running an extinguisher isn't a guarantee that you'll get torched.

ZlatanArKung #5 Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:31 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles

View PostTungstenHitman, on 28 November 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

If the risk is worth the gain from a statistical point of view. No clue.

but my experience with play with food and without is that it 'feels' better to play with food, your tank 'feels' stronger and better then without it.

But in reality, the difference is probably rather low.

UrQuan #6 Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:31 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20067 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Firefighting skills help alot. Also, some tanks just aren't flammable. And some tanks are flammable, but under conditions that it's you being dead anyway, fire or not.

That said, only tank I run food on is the KV-5, rest got the fire-extinguishers, because I really, really hate getting set on fire (but KV-5 is not flammable at all tbh, hence food)

ZlatanArKung #7 Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:32 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles

View PostUrQuan, on 28 November 2017 - 12:31 PM, said:

Firefighting skills help alot. Also, some tanks just aren't flammable. And some tanks are flammable, but under conditions that it's you being dead anyway, fire or not.

That said, only tank I run food on is the KV-5, rest got the fire-extinguishers, because I really, really hate getting set on fire (but KV-5 is not flammable at all tbh, hence food)

Of course you hate being set on fire when you play mobile torches (KV-4/KV-3) :P

TankkiPoju #8 Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:33 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20993 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

I play every tank I have with premium food, every game.

For tanks that tend to catch fire a lot, I just use bonds to boost firefighting skill.

brumbarr #9 Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:43 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles
I use food on pretty much every single tank i play these days. Is thr advantage noticable? Ask yourself this: is having twice the bonus of vents worth it? Thats what food does. It increases your tank by 5%.
I replacr fire ext with it, you used to be able to also switch it with medkit but thats not viable amymore after artychanges and stun.
To mitigate the risk of fire, first off, dont get shot in the side or rear. I also have ff trained which mitigates the dmg fire does.
But to prevent a fire always repair your fuel tanks when they get damaged. Most fires are from fuel tanks, not engines. If you repair those so they cant turn red you should mostly be fine. And with the reusable kits now you arent wasting a repkit anymore.

TungstenHitman #10 Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:48 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24115 battles

I never tried a tank carrying food before so I can't say I know what sort of performance gain that would feel like vs without. I guess I got a "fire! fire bad!" attitude early on in this game and have never risked not having an extinguisher ever since. Some tanks catch fire easier as you say but when they do and you don't have an extinguisher it is absolutely devastating and there's nothing you can do about it just rage lol "no!!!! stop burning damn you!! why don't you stop!!!" 

I've been torched a lot more regularly recently though(not very often that said, it's still rare in this game), I'm not suggesting that there has been a purposeful increase with some update patch but more reflecting the German and French LTs I've been grinding through and when you get splashed by and arti or clipped by a Japanese heavy derp, or even the rapid fire of another autoloader that gets in behind a heavy tank, the tank goes up like a match so I gotta have me an extinguisher for these tanks at least! That said, the AMX and BC view range at tier7 and 8 so far have been only mediocre and I'd have loved to have food to boost that up a bit.

Is there a fixed time duration for how long a tank burns for? Also, just how much does the fire fighting skill reduce the fire duration by and does the skill also perhaps lower the chances of catching fire?

Edited by TungstenHitman, 28 November 2017 - 12:53 PM.

jack_timber #11 Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:51 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 34462 battles
Use food on arty, there said it, it does make a marked difference

Excavatus #12 Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:54 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18908 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

The only food I am giving my löwe crew is raw steak.. they said since I removed FE, they can cook it easily..

UrQuan #13 Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:55 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20067 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostZlatanArKung, on 28 November 2017 - 12:32 PM, said:

Of course you hate being set on fire when you play mobile torches (KV-4/KV-3) :P

I am the beacon. When I'm lit, it means I call out for aid 

Will you answer?

XxKuzkina_MatxX #14 Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:00 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 51226 battles
  • using food on some hopeless tanks makes them less hopeless.
  • using food on good tanks makes them even better.
  • using food on obj 140 is just asking for trouble :)
  • using food on paper tanks (autoloaders, scouts, sniper tds) gives you some advantage and you burn with or without food anyway.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #15 Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:00 PM

Major

• Player
  • 30520 battles

Food gives a 10% boost to your entire tank. Better aim time, camo, viewrange etc. It can be a good all around boost provided you're willing to risk going up in flames once in a while. 

TungstenHitman #16 Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:28 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24115 battles
So food is more like a vent substitute then? For tanks in which you drop vents for some other equipment but also want the boost that having vents would give? Like say if you went with a vstabs, rammer and optics sort of layout? One other thing, does food automatically get used as soon as you enter battle or does it need to be activated same as a repair kit or medikit? That was one thing that annoyed me about using bonds, it automatically used it when I equipped it and so I might have been using a light tank and got Paris or Stalingrad or something and would have very much preferred NOT to have wasted that item but I didn't have the option, is food the same? like an autolose the credits it costs every battle without choice?

brumbarr #17 Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:29 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles

View PostTungstenHitman, on 28 November 2017 - 01:28 PM, said:

So food is more like a vent substitute then? For tanks in which you drop vents for some other equipment but also want the boost that having vents would give? Like say if you went with a vstabs, rammer and optics sort of layout? One other thing, does food automatically get used as soon as you enter battle or does it need to be activated same as a repair kit or medikit? That was one thing that annoyed me about using bonds, it automatically used it when I equipped it and so I might have been using a light tank and got Paris or Stalingrad or something and would have very much preferred NOT to have wasted that item but I didn't have the option, is food the same? like an autolose the credits it costs every battle without choice?

Not really, I use at as an extra thing, seperate from equipment. But if you lack VR and dont want to mount optics, food can give you the full VR.

IT is automaticly used yes.

signal11th #18 Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:31 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 38206 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL

View PostTungstenHitman, on 28 November 2017 - 11:26 AM, said:

I run most of my prem tanks with food/drink I rarely use fire extingushers at all.

Edited by signal11th, 28 November 2017 - 01:31 PM.

TankkiPoju #19 Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:31 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20993 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 28 November 2017 - 01:00 PM, said:

Food gives a 10% boost to your entire tank.

4.6%

dimethylcadmium #20 Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:44 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 7642 battles
  • [WGL-A] WGL-A

I will always use auto fire extinguisher over food because of two things:

1) if i'm destined to lose, 3 sets of food consumables and a 160% crew won't save my [edited]

2) say goodbye to credit gains unless you're in a tier 8 premium on a prem account

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users