Jump to content


Opinions and Personal results on the "March of Nations" Event.


  • Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

hedi2222 #1 Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:37 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 30462 battles
  • 7,831
  • [LEWD] LEWD
  • Member since:
    08-12-2013
With the event having just ended , i thought id share my thoughts and resutls on this rather unique event.

Starting with the posititives 

+ the event not needing be 5 battles in a row .Since the chances of that happening last year were very slim. It feels fairer and you can play over extended periods of time and improve your results.
+Not needing a specific tank , but rather being divided into nation and tier. Would have been even more diverse if class was included but that would have been too much of a stretch.
+Being able to get rewards in multiple categories. Personally being not so amazing at this game , i still managed rather respected results in the event.
+ The ingame interface , and the every hour update , making it very easy to keep up with your results.

Now the downsides , some can be derived from the positives , the biggest in my opinion is having some categories obviously dominated by well known tanks , Due to them obviously being overperforming , I.E : USA , tier 8 : the top 1000 or so places are 95% patriots.... Germans tier 8 is all M41 90 and skorpion Gs... so as someone who doesn't own these tanks it was kinda saddening to see myself slowly getting kicked back into the 2nd category slowly... But it is what it is
secondly the lack of in-portal interface , making me having to launch the game just to check on the progress. No big deal , but still. Last year's event had the results on the portal.


In conclusion , it was a rather unique experience and made me somewhat play better and be more attentive and careful with my decisions to secure myself 5 category 1 spots over tier 9 and 7 , 4 category 2s in tier 10 ,9 and 8 and a sad category 3 with my T25Pilot ( having been in 600th spot a week ago ). Kudos WG.
 

AngelofAwe #2 Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:59 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • WGL PRO Player
  • 39030 battles
  • 3,057
  • Member since:
    12-24-2011
The event isn't over yet though... Still 5 hours before it closes for results and then it ends tomorrow morning.

5 in a row or top 5 results are equally stupid to me to be honest. Both reward playing as much as possible to improve your results through time and effort rather than skill.
I'm saying this even though the system was beneficial to me as I had a ton of time to play but it should reward proper skill.

Something like average exp over a certain minimum amount of battles would mean much more. Say you need 50 battles in a tank and the higher your average exp the higher your rank.
With the same system of no platoons and peak time play only that would mean a little more. Sure some people would still get lucky but skill would mean a lot more than now.

I got 16 results in league 1 without much issue. I skipped T8 completely because so many people were spamming their premiums that I would have had to put hundreds of games into it to get the top league.
Instead I aimed to get one result at tier X in the top 10 and if nothing changes I succeeded at that so I'll get the rare badge that max 90 people will have on EU.

However I only got that by playing a LOT. If this contest was truly skill based I'd be nowhere near the top 10.

Also, moment of my life right here.
 
Spoiler


 

CmdRatScabies #3 Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:03 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 37610 battles
  • 4,351
  • [-MM] -MM
  • Member since:
    10-12-2015

View PostAngelofAwe, on 28 November 2017 - 08:59 PM, said:

5 in a row or top 5 results are equally stupid to me to be honest. Both reward playing as much as possible to improve your results through time and effort rather than skill.
 

 

WG's goal is that we play more so actually it's well designed.

gunslingerXXX #4 Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:03 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 11067 battles
  • 2,012
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL
  • Member since:
    11-16-2014
It's ok. I didn't play much but just joined all classes. One ace game and on the leaderboard, nice surprise. Tried to improve a bit but that was pretty pointless. Probably finish around 3500 place. Fine with that.

arjun69 #5 Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:31 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 94497 battles
  • 782
  • Member since:
    11-29-2012

i liked the event.

i could gain some premium days and reserves with not too much effort.

tier 10: not playing that  because of economy

tier 9: did dayly doubles during 2 days when i had premium in a couple of nations and accidetanlly made a group 4 ranking.

tier 8: didnt play that because i expected premiums to dominate. was correct decision

tier 7: played for ranks in 5 nations, result 4 group 1 and 1 group 2. i played only as much as to keep me in rank 1.

tier 7 usa: the only one wherre i wanted to see how far i could go.

gave up going for top 10 after i had 2 monstergames which were losses. 1550 and 1350 base xp (with resistance bonus)

for top 10 such battles need to be wins. didnt bother after that.

 

tier 8s were dominated by premiums of various sorts.

hardly any non prems in the top ten positions.

this is a very strong indicator that this game has become much more pay to win than lets say 3 years ago.

there are many other indicators but they are not the topic here.

tier 7 FR and DE were dominated by prems too.

i am kind of expecting wg to release tier 7 prems to cover the nations not dominated by premiums soon.

i am more and more glad, that i never spent money here, they dont deserve it.


Edited by arjun69, 28 November 2017 - 11:14 PM.


TungstenHitman #6 Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:37 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 22218 battles
  • 4,073
  • Member since:
    08-28-2016
Honestly? I don't want to come across as ungrateful since it's stuff for nothing but I think it was a load of ****. I didn't get involved much though since I was more concerned with grinding out a couple of tank lines to which I am REALLY grateful for those two consecutive weekends of X2 xp which was my real focus and put to good use. As for the event it's a total brain drain ****fest. If you are that good to land multiple tanks in the top 1 place, good for you. As for me, I'm not the worst player and with what tanks I was grinding and for what tanks I happened to use more than 5 times all I have to show for it all is 1 prize placing... 1? are you ****ing ****ing me? WG really needed to expand the prize base more tbh. As much as it has thousands of prizes per classing and tier, the same players can dominate the many places in each tier and each nation if they want to say only a few thousand players can scoop up all the best stuff and good luck to them but hard to believe, even though I wasn't trying, that all the games I played over the passed several days all I have is a second place spot for a tier7 Frenchie... what do I get? a 1 day premium that starts in 10hrs and some buffs.. even if I won several, that would still be premium account days on midweek when I and most ppl work so what will I get? a few hours? if I even bother playing so ya **** the nations event. 

hedi2222 #7 Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:58 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 30462 battles
  • 7,831
  • [LEWD] LEWD
  • Member since:
    08-12-2013

View PostTungstenHitman, on 28 November 2017 - 08:37 PM, said:

Honestly? I don't want to come across as ungrateful since it's stuff for nothing but I think it was a load of ****. I didn't get involved much though since I was more concerned with grinding out a couple of tank lines to which I am REALLY grateful for those two consecutive weekends of X2 xp which was my real focus and put to good use. As for the event it's a total brain drain ****fest. If you are that good to land multiple tanks in the top 1 place, good for you. As for me, I'm not the worst player and with what tanks I was grinding and for what tanks I happened to use more than 5 times all I have to show for it all is 1 prize placing... 1? are you ****ing ****ing me? WG really needed to expand the prize base more tbh. As much as it has thousands of prizes per classing and tier, the same players can dominate the many places in each tier and each nation if they want to say only a few thousand players can scoop up all the best stuff and good luck to them but hard to believe, even though I wasn't trying, that all the games I played over the passed several days all I have is a second place spot for a tier7 Frenchie... what do I get? a 1 day premium that starts in 10hrs and some buffs.. even if I won several, that would still be premium account days on midweek when I and most ppl work so what will I get? a few hours? if I even bother playing so ya **** the nations event. 

 

I see what you're saying... But from what i read and understood the rewards will be given within 14 days from tomorrow and within loggin , available for the next 180 days.... soo

AngelofAwe #8 Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:16 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • WGL PRO Player
  • 39030 battles
  • 3,057
  • Member since:
    12-24-2011
Full results to show how much I actually had to play...

TX - 624 battles/ 9 nations

USSR rank 7 - 230 battles (907/140/T-100LT)
Czechoslovakia rank 55 - 86 battles (TVP)
USA rank 95 - 45 battles (M48/Sheridan)
France rank 142 - 70 battles (BC/AMX105)
Germany rank 182 - 29 battles (E50M)
China rank 195 - 77 battles (121/5A)
Sweden rank 363 - 30 battles (Kranvagn)
Japan rank 471 - 25 battles (STB)
UK rank 650 - 32 battles (S.Conq)

Basically 20-25 battles per nation would have been no issue to have every nation in top 1k.

T IX - 92 battles/ 4 nations

Germany rank 361 - 20 battles (RU251)
France rank 378 - 13 battles (BC AP)
USSR rank 743 - 23 battles (T-54)
China rank 761 - 26 battles (WZ 111 1-4)

Same 20-25 battles max.

T VIII 
13-93 battles per nation. NONE in top 1000. 


T VII - 114 battles / 4 nations

France rank 402 - 25 battles (AMX M4 45)
Sweden rank 418 - 39 battles (IKV 90B)
Germany rank 432 - 38 battles (Tiger P)
USSR rank 1752 - 12 battles (SU-122-44)

25 battles per nation required.



Conclusion, anything but T8 was pretty easy. Tier 8 was a pure waste of time. 

16x League I
3x League II
1x League IV

Tier X top 10 badge
52 days of premium
275 personal reserves

Edited by AngelofAwe, 28 November 2017 - 10:24 PM.


Pvt_Duffer #9 Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:16 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 16658 battles
  • 3,145
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    05-11-2011
The what?

Dava_117 #10 Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:54 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 19497 battles
  • 3,305
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-17-2014
Well, if I manage to not get overclassed in the last few hours, I should be in the top 3000 of USSR tier 8, thanks to my beloved KV-4. I liked the event, it motivated me to play more my high tier tanks: i haven't played so much my KV-4 from ages! Finger crossed for the third class reward, but I'm happy with my results in any case. :)

UrQuan #11 Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:00 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 19470 battles
  • 6,188
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-19-2011

Have to be honest that I enjoyed the old format per tank better, as it was quite clear from start that certain tanks would dominate their tier's nation rather easy. Tough luck if you didn't own them. The new format of 5 best games on the other hand in this year's March of Nations event is better tho, as it means less frustration, because that one bad game won't ruin the rest.

 

So if anything would change, I'd like to see a return to the per tank basis of the first march of Nations event, so you could always compete for it, even if you don't have the best of tanks.

 

Did got into TX ranking myself, because of very balanced Maus. T8 I tried, but was quickly apparent that KV-4 wouldn't cut it, save having lucky matches. So I 'cheated' a bit & rolled out Maus for March of Nations event. Got me in 3rd class ranking, so it fits.

 



Homer_J #12 Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:04 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 28771 battles
  • 30,068
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

I thought it was a great competition which gave everyone a chance to enter.  I've won nothing but for the sake of four mouse clicks and playing normally that's fine by me.

 

It does seem to have shown up WG's balancing issues though.



CmdRatScabies #13 Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:17 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 37610 battles
  • 4,351
  • [-MM] -MM
  • Member since:
    10-12-2015

View PostHomer_J, on 28 November 2017 - 11:04 PM, said:

It does seem to have shown up WG's balancing issues though.

 

Maybe, but in some cases it's just that some tanks are good at earning XP & others aren't - even though they may do a lot more damage.

Homer_J #14 Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:22 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 28771 battles
  • 30,068
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View PostCmdRatScabies, on 28 November 2017 - 10:17 PM, said:

 

Maybe, but in some cases it's just that some tanks are good at earning XP & others aren't - even though they may do a lot more damage.

 

And that isn't an issue?

 

Luckily they didn't include tier 5 really, every single place held by the Churchill III :teethhappy:



arjun69 #15 Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:37 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 94497 battles
  • 782
  • Member since:
    11-29-2012
anybody able to retrieve the data of the leaderboards somehow?

JaffaStar #16 Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:21 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 47937 battles
  • 320
  • Member since:
    04-25-2011
i am curios to see how many accounts will be banned ... if any ..

X534 #17 Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:36 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 23475 battles
  • 1,339
  • [BAC0N] BAC0N
  • Member since:
    05-16-2011

View PostHomer_J, on 28 November 2017 - 10:22 PM, said:

 

And that isn't an issue?

 

Luckily they didn't include tier 5 really, every single place held by the Churchill III :teethhappy:

 

:hiding:

ogremage #18 Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:47 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 33442 battles
  • 1,417
  • [KAZNA] KAZNA
  • Member since:
    06-26-2011

It's quite disappointing that the leaderboards aren't available any more.

 

Otherwise, I liked the event. I wish I could play at other times as in the evenings we had CW and in the mornings I had to go for work before the event started. So I could basically only play weekends.



hedi2222 #19 Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:22 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 30462 battles
  • 7,831
  • [LEWD] LEWD
  • Member since:
    08-12-2013

View PostAngelofAwe, on 28 November 2017 - 09:16 PM, said:

Full results to show how much I actually had to play...

TX - 624 battles/ 9 nations

USSR rank 7 - 230 battles (907/140/T-100LT)
Czechoslovakia rank 55 - 86 battles (TVP)
USA rank 95 - 45 battles (M48/Sheridan)
France rank 142 - 70 battles (BC/AMX105)
Germany rank 182 - 29 battles (E50M)
China rank 195 - 77 battles (121/5A)
Sweden rank 363 - 30 battles (Kranvagn)
Japan rank 471 - 25 battles (STB)
UK rank 650 - 32 battles (S.Conq)

Basically 20-25 battles per nation would have been no issue to have every nation in top 1k.

T IX - 92 battles/ 4 nations

Germany rank 361 - 20 battles (RU251)
France rank 378 - 13 battles (BC AP)
USSR rank 743 - 23 battles (T-54)
China rank 761 - 26 battles (WZ 111 1-4)

Same 20-25 battles max.

T VIII 
13-93 battles per nation. NONE in top 1000. 


T VII - 114 battles / 4 nations

France rank 402 - 25 battles (AMX M4 45)
Sweden rank 418 - 39 battles (IKV 90B)
Germany rank 432 - 38 battles (Tiger P)
USSR rank 1752 - 12 battles (SU-122-44)

25 battles per nation required.



Conclusion, anything but T8 was pretty easy. Tier 8 was a pure waste of time. 

16x League I
3x League II
1x League IV

Tier X top 10 badge
52 days of premium
275 personal reserves

 

Thanks for the detailed analysis ! I myself had a hard time keeping my high tier tanks in the 1st league. But still managed good results with 1390 and 11114. But my focus was mainly on tier 7. Since I owned the t71DA and 12244. So in total it's 20 days of premium that I'll use in the holidays to make things easier.

TankkiPoju #20 Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:32 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 20404 battles
  • 6,196
  • Member since:
    05-20-2011

View PostAngelofAwe, on 28 November 2017 - 08:59 PM, said:

5 in a row or top 5 results are equally stupid to me to be honest. Both reward playing as much as possible to improve your results through time and effort rather than skill.

 

But everyone has the same odds to get to top 2000 players anyway (which only really matters because credit boosters). 

 

If you needed to have 5 good games in a row, it would be much more dependent on what teams you get and how RNGesus smiles on you. Personally I played only a handful of games in Caernarvon and T26E5 to get to top 1k on tier 8.

 

Besides at least now it had to be solo games, which was a major improvement. In prior similar events you could platoon for individual good games, which was the stupidest idea ever from WG.

 


Edited by TankkiPoju, 29 November 2017 - 07:34 AM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users