Jump to content


Which lines do you recommend for my playstyle?


  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

AHLagman #1 Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:33 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 3982 battles
  • 151
  • Member since:
    10-28-2015

Before starting off with my playstyle, I want to begin by telling you what kinds of tanks I like. The way I'll rank how I prefer my priorities is going to be like this. First priority(ies) means that the line I want has to fulfill these conditions. Second priority(ies) means that the line I want doesn't necessarily have to fulfill these conditions or could somewhat fulfill these conditions, but I would prefer it if it did. Third priority(ies) don't(doesn't) have to fulfill these conditions, but think of these as a bonus.

 

First priorities. Good penetration   +   Anything but a TD and SPG   +   All the line doesn't need to have these conditions, but the least I would like is tier 6. For example, if a line has tank in tier 7 which fulfills these conditions but the tier 8 and above don't, you may suggest it.

 

Second priorities. The line doesn't take forever to research (I am a f2p player so it takes me much longer to research)   +   The amount of time put into grinding the tank will be worth it in the end. Let me give an example. I quit the M48 Patton line since it took me forever to grind through the Pershing to get 130,000 or 120,000 research points and I still would need another 40,000 or 50,000 research points. This isn't the only problem.  Another problem is that because it takes forever to grind for research points, I don't have a lot time to play tier 5s or 6s to make credits. So, I took a look at the M46 Patton, and saw that it wasn't worth it. Why? The Patton costs more research points than most mediums in the game, the modules cost a ridiculous amount of research points to grind, that means I have to use that garbage 190mm penetration gun to fight regularly against tier 10s when I can't even penetrate tier 9s and sometimes 8s, and there are better mediums in other lines which don't need as much grinding as this. I know you aren't supposed to be making credits all the time or maybe you aren't supposed to be having fun at this point in the game, I am not sure.   +   Compensation between armour and speed. This means that if the tank doesn't have good armour, atleast it should have a good power to weight ratio or speed.   +   Gun handling stats should be atleast close to normal + Normal or close to normal rate of fire. (Don't forget, these are second priority, so don't worry too much about them, they could be somewhat fulfilled or maybe not fulfilled, we can discuss it in the comments)

 

Third priorities. Shell cost should be low   +   Tank cost should have low repair cost

 

My playstyle isn't anything special. I don't like camping, I prefer attacking. I am not very aggressive, but I do sometimes take risks. I brawl or use other tactics depending on the tank

 

Now, you might be saying that most of these issues could be solved if I just spent money on the game, but I don't want to spend money on the game yet. I probably will later on, but not anytime soon. 

 

I want to grind for the Tiger 1 since I like its stats. Amazing gun for a tier 7 (brilliant penetration, very good DPM, good gun handing stats), decent armour, okay top speed, good view range, and good HP. I might not go for the Tiger 2 since I might grind the French heavies after the Tiger 1. Any help or suggestions would appreciated!

 



Aikl #2 Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:57 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 26013 battles
  • 4,349
  • [-MM] -MM
  • Member since:
    04-13-2011

Pretty sure the total XP cost for each line is pretty much the same, if not for each tier. Some tanks are cheaper to research, but that's only because the prerequisite modules are rather expensive. 

 

The T29 is a pretty obvious pick. Doesn't take ages to research, you have the 90mm gun unlocked for the M6 and you get a tank that can do something on just about every map and every matchmaking. Not fast, but very versatile.



TungstenHitman #3 Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:10 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 24141 battles
  • 4,393
  • Member since:
    08-28-2016

Here is a site called TANKS.GG that I and many others find useful for a generalized guide to the tanks in this game. On it is a section you can select called "tanks by stats" in which you can sift through the various classes and tiers of tanks in order of the best whatever it is you are looking for. Here take a look. I have selected a vague breakdown of what you were looking for, high pen and tier6, no arty no td. So here it is, by standard AP rounds.

 

https://tanks.gg/lis...ght&sh=standard

 

You may also select gold round options, HE etc and explore which ones work out as having a build that would suit you, select alpha etc do a short list of the ones you think suit your wants and then explore each of those tanks more closely and see how their mobility and view range and armor is etc.. soon enough you will see the "yup! that's the one for me!" tank :)



Isharial #4 Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:54 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 20441 battles
  • 2,406
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-19-2015

View PostAHLagman, on 29 November 2017 - 03:33 PM, said:

Before starting off with my playstyle, I want to begin by telling you what kinds of tanks I like. The way I'll rank how I prefer my priorities is going to be like this. First priority(ies) means that the line I want has to fulfill these conditions. Second priority(ies) means that the line I want doesn't necessarily have to fulfill these conditions or could somewhat fulfill these conditions, but I would prefer it if it did. Third priority(ies) don't(doesn't) have to fulfill these conditions, but think of these as a bonus.

 

First priorities. Good penetration   +   Anything but a TD and SPG   +   All the line doesn't need to have these conditions, but the least I would like is tier 6. For example, if a line has tank in tier 7 which fulfills these conditions but the tier 8 and above don't, you may suggest it.

 

Second priorities. The line doesn't take forever to research (I am a f2p player so it takes me much longer to research)   +   The amount of time put into grinding the tank will be worth it in the end. Let me give an example. I quit the M48 Patton line since it took me forever to grind through the Pershing to get 130,000 or 120,000 research points and I still would need another 40,000 or 50,000 research points. This isn't the only problem.  Another problem is that because it takes forever to grind for research points, I don't have a lot time to play tier 5s or 6s to make credits. So, I took a look at the M46 Patton, and saw that it wasn't worth it. Why? The Patton costs more research points than most mediums in the game, the modules cost a ridiculous amount of research points to grind, that means I have to use that garbage 190mm penetration gun to fight regularly against tier 10s when I can't even penetrate tier 9s and sometimes 8s, and there are better mediums in other lines which don't need as much grinding as this. I know you aren't supposed to be making credits all the time or maybe you aren't supposed to be having fun at this point in the game, I am not sure.   +   Compensation between armour and speed. This means that if the tank doesn't have good armour, atleast it should have a good power to weight ratio or speed.   +   Gun handling stats should be atleast close to normal + Normal or close to normal rate of fire. (Don't forget, these are second priority, so don't worry too much about them, they could be somewhat fulfilled or maybe not fulfilled, we can discuss it in the comments)

 

Third priorities. Shell cost should be low   +   Tank cost should have low repair cost

 

My playstyle isn't anything special. I don't like camping, I prefer attacking. I am not very aggressive, but I do sometimes take risks. I brawl or use other tactics depending on the tank

 

Now, you might be saying that most of these issues could be solved if I just spent money on the game, but I don't want to spend money on the game yet. I probably will later on, but not anytime soon.

 

I want to grind for the Tiger 1 since I like its stats. Amazing gun for a tier 7 (brilliant penetration, very good DPM, good gun handing stats), decent armour, okay top speed, good view range, and good HP. I might not go for the Tiger 2 since I might grind the French heavies after the Tiger 1. Any help or suggestions would appreciated!

 

 

now idk about you, but the Tiger 1 does not look like a great tank, or even a useful tank in the current game.. amazing gun is pointless with the useless chassis its put on, armour is basically non existant and most T5 mediums can pen you with standard rounds, top speed is awful and the view range is nothing special

its only saving grace is the HP, and even that is pointless when something like the M4 45 (and that's considered pretty bad) or the IS can out-trade you and perform your role far better


 

if you *really* want a tiger, buy a T6 one like the HT no IV, it would be far more useful to you and the team


 

personally, id go with a medium like the Jumbo or the T-34-85 (as much as I hate the latter, it IS regarded as a well rounded medium) both are easy enough to grind and don't break the bank in credits

the Jumbo can perform many roles and take over from heavies if it comes to it, the stock turret is well armoured and hull down is your best friend, it doesn't have "great" penetration, being the same gun as the M4 before it, however it can mount a 105mm howitzer


 

I would not go higher than T6 without atleast a decent crew (atleast 2 skills) and atleast 1 premium tank for credits (or a bunch of T5 to grind on) as you will struggle to keep them afloat and will spend more time playing others than it


 

if you don't like the look of the 2 above I suggested, maybe try the Cromwell, or the VK 30P, 1 has a lot of speed, and the latter has 220 alpha trading a slight amount of mobility for it (though it can still do 60)


 

if your more into heavies, try out the KV-85, or the ARL 44 (with the 105mm), both are weaker armoured, but they have some decent mobility and both can pack a punch


 

other than that, its your own choice on what you want to do...

 



suvicze #5 Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:55 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Beta Tester
  • 19297 battles
  • 662
  • [CS-TB] CS-TB
  • Member since:
    08-07-2010

You realize that with your conditions you are pretty much restricted to lower tiers right? Higher the tier, higher the repair costs and because most higher tier vehicles have higher caliber guns the shell cost will increase as well and without premium account you pretty much start losing credits from T8 up unless you have a really good battle where you survived and dealt good amount of damage without using excessive amount of premium ammunition or premium consumables. Even with premium account you can easily lose credits at T8 unless your skill is high enough.

Also as was said, all lines take approximately same amount of XP to research as a whole. The usual difference is when some tanks have higher tier guns available which are not needed to progress to higher tier. But you dont need to research them with the higher tier vehicle and it usually makes your life easier in the process so it is worth it.

Nice example is US M6 and T29. You dont need 90mm gun on M6 to progress to T29 but grinding 90mm gun with 76mm tier higher when the 76mm is pretty bad at T6 already especially on heavy tank is a bad idea.

Also at the moment T8 is absolute nightmare to play because of the MM and you will need nice supply of prem ammo to deal with higher tiers which you will meet constantly.

 

I would personally recommend M6 with 90mm or T29 at the highest. Both are really good tanks with everything researched.

Czech skoda T-25 is really fun to play and research isnt expensive. You will need some prem ammo but it is worth it.

French tanks I wouldnt really recommend, they have great penetration but bad gun stats, especially aim time. AMX 12t could be decent though with current MM where lights can be top tier.

German Tiger I and Panther with 7,5 L/100 are both good. Tiger doesnt have much armor but the combination of great gun + dpm + massive HP pool for T7 is very powerfull. You can even out-trade many T8 tanks because of that.

Swedish strv 74 is great, it has no armor but mobility is good enough + it has -15 gun depression and great gun stats.

British cromwell and comet arent bad, from heavies caern and above are now good but the grind to them is horrible, Firefly I have never played but it seems decent, the gun is good for T6.

 



JocMeister #6 Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:44 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 23908 battles
  • 2,181
  • [-MM] -MM
  • Member since:
    08-03-2015

You have the T34-85. Play that until you get more familiar with the game.

 

 



Slyspy #7 Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:06 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 14205 battles
  • 16,755
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-07-2011

View PostJocMeister, on 29 November 2017 - 05:44 PM, said:

You have the T34-85. Play that until you get more familiar with the game.

 

 

 

IMO this is good advice.



AHLagman #8 Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:43 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 3982 battles
  • 151
  • Member since:
    10-28-2015

Thank you guys for the replies! I'll try my best to follow your advices, especially the ones about playing tier 6 tanks.

 

View Postsuvicze, on 29 November 2017 - 06:55 PM, said:

You realize that with your conditions you are pretty much restricted to lower tiers right? Higher the tier, higher the repair costs and because most higher tier vehicles have higher caliber guns the shell cost will increase as well and without premium account you pretty much start losing credits from T8 up unless you have a really good battle where you survived and dealt good amount of damage without using excessive amount of premium ammunition or premium consumables. Even with premium account you can easily lose credits at T8 unless your skill is high enough.

Also as was said, all lines take approximately same amount of XP to research as a whole. The usual difference is when some tanks have higher tier guns available which are not needed to progress to higher tier. But you dont need to research them with the higher tier vehicle and it usually makes your life easier in the process so it is worth it.

Nice example is US M6 and T29. You dont need 90mm gun on M6 to progress to T29 but grinding 90mm gun with 76mm tier higher when the 76mm is pretty bad at T6 already especially on heavy tank is a bad idea.

Also at the moment T8 is absolute nightmare to play because of the MM and you will need nice supply of prem ammo to deal with higher tiers which you will meet constantly.

 

I would personally recommend M6 with 90mm or T29 at the highest. Both are really good tanks with everything researched.

Czech skoda T-25 is really fun to play and research isnt expensive. You will need some prem ammo but it is worth it.

French tanks I wouldnt really recommend, they have great penetration but bad gun stats, especially aim time. AMX 12t could be decent though with current MM where lights can be top tier.

German Tiger I and Panther with 7,5 L/100 are both good. Tiger doesnt have much armor but the combination of great gun + dpm + massive HP pool for T7 is very powerfull. You can even out-trade many T8 tanks because of that.

Swedish strv 74 is great, it has no armor but mobility is good enough + it has -15 gun depression and great gun stats.

British cromwell and comet arent bad, from heavies caern and above are now good but the grind to them is horrible, Firefly I have never played but it seems decent, the gun is good for T6.

 

 

 I have clearly stated that the credits per shell and tank cost are a third priority. I'll try my best to just grind a lot of lines till tier 7 or 6 so that I can learn a lot about the game and at least make credits. Anyway, thanks for the advice!

 


suvicze #9 Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:52 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Beta Tester
  • 19297 battles
  • 662
  • [CS-TB] CS-TB
  • Member since:
    08-07-2010

Yep thats probably the best, advance to t6-7 across various nations and lines to find out what will work for you and go from there. Also czech T34-100 is pretty decent especially because it has 250mm HEAT shells which will allow you to deal even with T9 heavies from the front if needed. The only problem is crew as you need 4 in T 25 because it is an autoloader and then 5 in t34 as it needs a loader :/

 



AHLagman #10 Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:14 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 3982 battles
  • 151
  • Member since:
    10-28-2015

View Postsuvicze, on 29 November 2017 - 09:52 PM, said:

Yep thats probably the best, advance to t6-7 across various nations and lines to find out what will work for you and go from there. Also czech T34-100 is pretty decent especially because it has 250mm HEAT shells which will allow you to deal even with T9 heavies from the front if needed. The only problem is crew as you need 4 in T 25 because it is an autoloader and then 5 in t34 as it needs a loader :/

 

 

Ah, that kind of sucks. I used to always want to begin the Czech line, but I kept forgetting and going for something else. Anyone, I might start it after going through a few lines. Thanks for the advice!

250swb #11 Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:28 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 23147 battles
  • 5,259
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-23-2015

The big problem you are going to face in this game is deciding so early on that you have a particular 'style'. I don't think it would be too far from the norm to say most players have periods when they go through favourites, but limiting themselves to a 'style' is basically trussing themselves up for failure in the future. You should try all things (except perhaps SPG) and work out how you are going to have a wide ranging influence rather than limit yourself to a thin veneer of influence as a specialist.

 

Have fun, it isn't time to get furrowed brows and plan for the next 20,000 games.



AHLagman #12 Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:30 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 3982 battles
  • 151
  • Member since:
    10-28-2015

View Post250swb, on 29 November 2017 - 10:28 PM, said:

The big problem you are going to face in this game is deciding so early on that you have a particular 'style'. I don't think it would be too far from the norm to say most players have periods when they go through favourites, but limiting themselves to a 'style' is basically trussing themselves up for failure in the future. You should try all things (except perhaps SPG) and work out how you are going to have a wide ranging influence rather than limit yourself to a thin veneer of influence as a specialist.

 

Have fun, it isn't time to get furrowed brows and plan for the next 20,000 games.

 

I was thinking the same thing after reading what everyone said. It doesn't matter if a tank has low pen or low dpm or bad armour or good speed, it's best to try them all out and be good at all areas. Thank you for your advice!

JocMeister #13 Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:34 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 23908 battles
  • 2,181
  • [-MM] -MM
  • Member since:
    08-03-2015

View PostAHLagman, on 29 November 2017 - 08:14 PM, said:

 

Ah, that kind of sucks. I used to always want to begin the Czech line, but I kept forgetting and going for something else. Anyone, I might start it after going through a few lines. Thanks for the advice!

 

Czech line is quite bad until tier 9. Not recommended for beginners! 




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users