Counter-arty , poll and discussion.

Arty Tracers Poll Counter-Arty Counter spotted unspotted issue

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you enjoy the "counter-arty" feature ? (185 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Do you play as artillery?

1. Yea a lot <3 (45 votes [24.32%])

Percentage of vote: 24.32%

2. Some times :/ (91 votes [49.19%])

Percentage of vote: 49.19%

3. HA!..HAHA!! NO! To hell with the [edited]tanks! (49 votes [26.49%])

Percentage of vote: 26.49%

Do you like that artillery players can kill others just by seeing the tracers?

1. Yes! (157 votes [84.86%])

Percentage of vote: 84.86%

2. No! (28 votes [15.14%])

Percentage of vote: 15.14%

Would you like that the "counter-arty" thing stopped or continued?

1. Stopped (26 votes [14.05%])

Percentage of vote: 14.05%

2. Continued (159 votes [85.95%])

Percentage of vote: 85.95%

Vote Hide poll

The_Sunken_Swede #1 Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:38 PM

Private

• Player
  • 13355 battles
  • [SWEEC] SWEEC

Hi! I started a poll to see what others feel, personally I would like to that maybe the tracers from an artillery shell only appeared first after that the shell has traveled half the distance. So they MUST spot an artillery for it to be killed.

What is you all peoples opinion on this matter ? Any other ideas or so ? Please let me know :)

bitslice #2 Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22757 battles

It's fine, counter arty is a tactic that can be learned to give a game advantage, it upskills the game.

it's also roughly consistent with real warfare (Sound-ranging and flash-spotting were provided by the corps survey regiment)

and tracked arty is designed to relocate after each volley, only stuff like AA is fixed

As much as unicums whine about arty, the perfect counter is supposed to be other arty

(because WoT nerfed the living Edited out of light tanks, so no hope there any more)

This post has been edited by the moderation team due to swearing.

Edited by VMX, 24 December 2017 - 07:36 PM.

cragarion #3 Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:59 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 44612 battles

View PostThe_Sunken_Swede, on 30 November 2017 - 05:38 PM, said:

Hi! I started a poll to see what others feel, personally I would like to that maybe the tracers from an artillery shell only appeared first after that the shell has traveled half the distance. So they MUST spot an artillery for it to be killed.

What is you all peoples opinion on this matter ? Any other ideas or so ? Please let me know :)

You are more likely to see it as soon as its fired because of the smoke and flash from the gun firing.

And i like it makes you think more you cant just sit there and fire you have to move after every shot if enemy arty has any brains.

japtank #4 Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27663 battles

Keep in mind there's a mod showing the location of artilleries from the tracers.

It's easy to defeat the cheat if you move after each shot.

Oh, and I didn't vote here, arty should be removed from the game IMO.

spamhamstar #5 Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:08 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 64313 battles
  • [LLAY] LLAY

View PostThe_Sunken_Swede, on 30 November 2017 - 04:38 PM, said:

Perhaps they could keep the arty tracers, but remove the arty?  That would also fix this "problem". 

bitslice #6 Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22757 battles

Actually what would help being counter-fired is if WoT didn't insist on putting arty in the same place for every game ,

like on Fjords they are always placed on the North West corner, so it's a doodle to locate them.

Prokhorovka is the worst, arty always sit on the middle line,

and for most maps there are just two reasonable locations for arty, and often, just the same two bushes to sit in.

Like on Cliff, where are you going to go there? There are three locations to the north, and one to the south, it's a joke.

El Hallouf, one position to the north, two in the south

Siegfried Line assult, fire into the north west corner bush, works 50% of the time

If you are any good you can kill their arty in one shot before they even fire their gun, the maps are simply that predictable.

Edited by bitslice, 30 November 2017 - 06:17 PM.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #7 Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:17 PM

Major

• Player
  • 30529 battles

View Postbitslice, on 30 November 2017 - 06:09 PM, said:

If you are any good you can kill their arty in one shot before they even fire their gun, the maps players are simply that predictable.

Fixed that for you.

Any arty player with a brain isn't going to get killed easily by counterfire which is why the current system is perfectly fine. Arty should be hunting their counterparts at every opportunity to help out their team.

Vajsravana #8 Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32827 battles

When I play arty, and there's more than one for team, I always try to reduce the number of enemy ones as soon as the game starts.

I also try not to waste all the game looking for tracers... but if I see one in an obvious place, and he doesn't move... well someone has to teach the lesson! :playing:

I think counter-arty should stay, and maybe even made a bit easier... after all, there is no other real risk for arty until the late game. At least one risk has to stay.

jugilismaani #9 Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22409 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE
No changes thanks. The skill cap is low enough already. 

Edited by jugilismaani, 30 November 2017 - 06:24 PM.

bitslice #10 Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22757 battles

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 30 November 2017 - 05:17 PM, said:

Fixed that for you.

Any arty player with a brain isn't going to get killed easily by counterfire which is why the current system is perfectly fine. Arty should be hunting their counterparts at every opportunity to help out their team.

Sorry but nope, if you have a choice of two bushes you are going to pick one because most players never counter battery, I can count on two hands the times I've been hit in this game by arty.

It is map design that makes it very hard to do anything else. If you don't pick those bushes you will get spotted by a scout at just beyond the mid point

Very few players follow the front line, most relocate only if a flank falls, and on most maps if the flank falls there is nowhere to go anyway.

Most of the cover on current maps is hills/buildings, all of those are useless for arty to hide in, there is also precious little foliage jforward of any spawn - remember arty don't travel very fast, they have to be in position before scouts appear, so realistically that is 2-3 squares left or right of spawn, there is nowhere else in front.

Tactics are radically different for bishops etc.

It's just the total lack of imagination of WoT's map designers, heavies go here, lights go here, arty go to this bush or that bush and mediums mill around where they can fit.

On any map, I can show you where arty sits 9/10, I'm not even any good.

Did I mention Mines? I can tell you to within 10cm where they are sitting.

Edited by bitslice, 30 November 2017 - 06:42 PM.

Uebergewicht #11 Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles
Personally I´d like to see counter arty expended quite drastically. Tracers should be thicker and visible for longer, at least a second, and up to several seconds (could even be dependend on the specific arty for balance purposes). That way playing arty becomes more of a risk game - do you spend time on clearing the enemy arty first, or do you go for the other tanks but risk getting countered with every shot you take? I think this would make playing arty a bit more demanding and involving, require a bit more skill, and keep artillery from mindlessly spamming everything that gets spotted. Personally, it would also give me the joy of being a prime arty killer when playing arty, and make me feel better by helping my team not get clicked instead of annoying enemies to death by clicking them.

samuelx43a #12 Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22687 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostUebergewicht, on 30 November 2017 - 06:45 PM, said:

Personally I´d like to see counter arty expended quite drastically. Tracers should be thicker and visible for longer, at least a second, and up to several seconds (could even be dependend on the specific arty for balance purposes). That way playing arty becomes more of a risk game - do you spend time on clearing the enemy arty first, or do you go for the other tanks but risk getting countered with every shot you take? I think this would make playing arty a bit more demanding and involving, require a bit more skill, and keep artillery from mindlessly spamming everything that gets spotted. Personally, it would also give me the joy of being a prime arty killer when playing arty, and make me feel better by helping my team not get clicked instead of annoying enemies to death by clicking them.

actually, it was like this a good amount of time ago, but someone discovered a cheat/hack that could give the exact location of the arty, so they patched that, also with other classes as well

WindSplitter1 #13 Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:25 PM

Major

• Player
  • 16614 battles
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM

View Postbitslice, on 30 November 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:

It's fine, counter arty is a tactic that can be learned to give a game advantage, it upskills the game.

it's also roughly consistent with real warfare (Sound-ranging and flash-spotting were provided by the corps survey regiment)

and tracked arty is designed to relocate after each volley, only stuff like AA is fixed

As much as unicums whine about arty, the perfect counter is supposed to be other arty

(because WoT nerfed the living shite out of light tanks, so no hope there any more)

This.

Steeleye_Spam #14 Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:35 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 29780 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Counter battery actually got nerfed in the arty remake - before you could one shot an enemy piece nearly every time, whereas now it's rare (usually only lower tier pieces). This means any player worth their salt will relocate once hit, making it actually very difficult to effectively counter battery, as an arty with 5 Hp is exactly as effective as an arty with full Hp, and relocating him is rarely worth the time when you could be annoying other tanks.

psychobear #15 Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:52 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 19105 battles
  • [7EVEN] 7EVEN

View PostThe_Sunken_Swede, on 30 November 2017 - 06:38 PM, said:

Arties should instantly explode upon firing their guns. The game would be so much better.

Homer_J #16 Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:37 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 29705 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostThe_Sunken_Swede, on 30 November 2017 - 04:38 PM, said:

Because pressing W,A and perhaps, D between shots is such hard work?

I counter battery depending on the map and number of arties.  I also move between shots at least for the first few or if arty is likely to be looking in my direction for some reason.  And I don't hide in obvious bushes if I can help it.

And I remember the good old days when you could counter invisible camping TDs the same way. :arta:

Uebergewicht #17 Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles

View Postsamuelx43a, on 30 November 2017 - 07:06 PM, said:

actually, it was like this a good amount of time ago, but someone discovered a cheat/hack that could give the exact location of the arty, so they patched that, also with other classes as well

To be fair, I would not mind if revealing arty position after each shot would just be a standard. It´s a bit less intriguing than tracers, but goes in a similar direction. There could be a small delay so arty with some brains has at least a chance to relocate (again, delay may be variable on different artys for balance reasons), but the more arty has to look after themselves and the more arty actually has to beware of enemy arty, the better.

Being a "good" arty player sounds a lot more rewarding if you manage to blow up the enemy arty and then can bombard the enemy team while your own team is save. And if there are two "good" arty players in opposing teams, they´d probably spend a lot more time relocating and waiting for each other than clicking on tanks in the field. Though you´d probably have to increase the XP for damage/kills on unspotted targets a bit to make this playstyle not to punishing. But all in all, aplayers mostly fighting among each other sounds quite appealing to me^^

Edited by Uebergewicht, 01 December 2017 - 02:07 AM.

Spurtung #18 Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:30 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 65969 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View Postbitslice, on 30 November 2017 - 07:09 PM, said:

Actually what would help being counter-fired is if WoT didn't insist on putting arty in the same place for every game ,

like on Fjords they are always placed on the North West corner, so it's a doodle to locate them.

Simple minded people are the best.

Griesgram_der_Grobe #19 Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:33 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 18290 battles
  • [HCD] HCD

since mostly noone can oneshot another arty if it´s not like 2 tiers higher in the foodchain these days, it´s not that big an issue...but, counterfire is nothing I´m very fond of, same goes for tracers...show´em all (all tanks) or none - guess some swedes would be utterly Edited in no time if that where to happen again^^

I hate those players who just sit there and wait for tracers to get their kill and are otherwise being total useless to the team...yeah yeah...taking out enemy arty does help a bit, but be honest...killing 500hp in 5 minutes is plain stupid and not what arty is actually suppossed to be used for, you won´t get gunmarks that way either

as for the location/tracer hack mentioned above: still exists, not used that much since you can´t oneshot anymore...tbh, it´s never been a real hack, you still needed to be around the area in the viewport to get that *thingie* on screen, otherwise removing grass via graphics setup is just that...a hack

This post has been edited by the moderation team due to inappropriate remarks. 

Edited by VMX, 24 December 2017 - 08:02 PM.

Ziurawka #20 Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:49 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 22370 battles
  • [NLUFA] NLUFA

View Postbitslice, on 30 November 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:

(because WoT nerfed the living shite out of light tanks, so no hope there any more)

I really like the historical accuracy too - M44s sending out their drones with HD cams to observe the battlefield and see the orange flares from invisible objects. 

The axis forces should have an advantage with this though cause their drone cams had Carl Zeiss lenses. 

Edited by Ziurawka, 01 December 2017 - 05:52 AM.

Also tagged with Arty, Tracers, Poll, Counter-Arty, Counter, spotted, unspotted, issue

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users