Poll about premium ammo

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Why do i use premium ammo? (34 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Why do you use premium ammo?

1. Unbalanced tanks (11 votes [32.35%])

Percentage of vote: 32.35%

2. ONLY because of super heavies (2 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

3. To win games in uneasy situations (10 votes [29.41%])

Percentage of vote: 29.41%

4. I need to pad my stats (3 votes [8.82%])

Percentage of vote: 8.82%

5. I don't use it (8 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

6. I really don't know (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Hide poll

Specteri #1 Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:36 PM

Private

• Player
  • 17422 battles

First of all, this topic is not meant to blame or criticise anybody. I know there has been plenty of conversations about this topic. Try to see this objectively even if you lean on to other side. I am not a Unicum yet not a tomato but still trying to learn this game after 14k battles. 

I use xvm from time to time, and I've made my own observations about premium ammo. I see some people (mostly blue and up) solely rely on premium ammo even at lower tiers. Some people use it only after failed penetration and only at higher tiers. But here lies the question: why do you use it? Some people say that certain tanks are balanced or based on around premium ammo. Some say that they use it because of so called super heavies, of which I have none experience about since I don't own one.

Please answer the poll.

-Specteri

Aikl #2 Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:53 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 26080 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

At least a somewhat original topic. You lack "can't be bothered to switch ammo types" and "for shell velocity" as options. If you are used to high-tier guns, the shell velocity of many lower-tier tanks can be incredibly annoying.

Hardly blue (more like turquoise), but I don't use it that much. However, if that's the only option, I have no problems switching to get the job done. More importantly, the MM system ensures that you're more bottom-tier than top-tier. Premium ammo is one way of making sure you matter a bit more even when at the bottom - playing 'support tank' is incredibly boring, and it's just insanely frustrating to rely on your top-tier teammates to carry the weight.

Last, but not least, can you honestly say that your observations are not a result of confirmation bias? You're probably not entirely wrong, good players necessarily lose less credits than bad players because they do better. "We" can afford to shoot it more often, quite simply. I've done a few T8/9 powergrinds, and you don't lose that much even with excessive prem ammo use - it certainly beats the alternative of prolonging the grind.

(Spamming premium ammo is a crappy way to become better at the game anyway. If anything, using primarily regular ammo will teach you more than spamming premium in the face of enemy tanks.)

Edited by Aikl, 02 December 2017 - 11:57 PM.

Junglist_ #3 Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37870 battles
Flanking is overrated

_b_ #4 Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:57 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 55438 battles
To shoot whackamolers if I live long enough to shoot them ...and at the balanced jap  tanks ... other than that as little as I possibly can ...

TheOneAboveAII #5 Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:59 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16413 battles
I only use it on slow tanks with crappen...T32 I'm looking at you...or when I just literally can't be arsed to flank...or can't actually flank...because...you know...CORRIDORS ARE THE NEW META! AND TYPE 5 AND MAUS ARE BALANCED META!...plus yeah...when i get close to kolobanov situation...

Homer_J #6 Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:00 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 29728 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

There's an option missing from your poll.

Because I'm a Dinger.

Specteri #7 Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:04 AM

Private

• Player
  • 17422 battles

View PostAikl, on 02 December 2017 - 10:53 PM, said:

At least a somewhat original topic. You lack "can't be bothered to switch ammo types" and "for shell velocity" as options. If you are used to high-tier guns, the shell velocity of many lower-tier tanks can be incredibly annoying.

Hardly blue (more like turquoise), but I don't use it that much. However, if that's the only option, I have no problems switching to get the job done. More importantly, the MM system ensures that you're more bottom-tier than top-tier. Premium ammo is one way of making sure you matter a bit more even when at the bottom - playing 'support tank' is incredibly boring, and it's just insanely frustrating to rely on your top-tier teammates to carry the weight.

Last, but not least, can you honestly say that your observations are not a result of confirmation bias? You're probably not entirely wrong, good players necessarily lose less credits than bad players because they do better. "We" can afford to shoot it more often, quite simply. I've done a few T8/9 powergrinds, and you don't lose that much even with excessive prem ammo use - it certainly beats the alternative of prolonging the grind.

(Spamming premium ammo is a crappy way to become better at the game anyway. If anything, using primarily regular ammo will teach you more than spamming premium in the face of enemy tanks.)

You got me :D I still am a standard ammo player and I also know that i would perform better than know with premium ammo. I am just pondering the very initial cause of using premium ammuniton.

Jigabachi #8 Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:06 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSpecteri, on 02 December 2017 - 11:36 PM, said:

I know there has been plenty of conversations about this topic. 

Indeed. No need for a new one, especially if the poll is pretty meh - and not only because you can tick all answers.

BravelyRanAway #9 Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:09 AM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 23027 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostJigabachi, on 02 December 2017 - 11:06 PM, said:

Indeed. No need for a new one, especially if the poll is pretty meh - and not only because you can tick all answers.

Ya big tease....I can only tick one.......shouldn't have told him.....so disappointed. :(

Specteri #10 Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:10 AM

Private

• Player
  • 17422 battles

Pick one answer as it says. The very first that comes to your mind.

Homer_J #11 Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:11 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 29728 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

There's always room for another Dingers recruitment thread.:great:

Aikl #12 Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:20 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 26080 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Nah, he just picked '1' in the box where you can pick max amount of answers.

View PostSpecteri, on 02 December 2017 - 11:04 PM, said:

You got me :D I still am a standard ammo player and I also know that i would perform better than know with premium ammo. I am just pondering the very initial cause of using premium ammuniton.

Better, sure, but it probably matters less than you'd think. Depends a bit on what you play, and in particular what tiers. Premium ammo on T8-10 matters more if you want to be competitive (especially in/against certain heavies), I believe.

brumbarr #13 Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:33 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles

The reason i and a lot of others shoot prem is simple: to minimise risk and win more games.
For example, the enemy e100 is kinda hulldown but you can get his lowerplate when you push forward, however, then you need to leave your hulldown position and possibly take a hit from the e100. So i shoot gold. Why would i not?
Or there is a maus, he angled, i cant pen him but i could flank around, however this woukd lose precious time, and in the meanwhile my team is losing the other flank and i need to get there asap. So i shoot gold.

Its not to pad stats, its not because superheavys. Its simply a tool like any other thing in the game to get the job done most efficiently.

Edited by brumbarr, 03 December 2017 - 12:34 AM.

Joggaman #14 Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:53 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 24428 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostHomer_J, on 03 December 2017 - 12:00 AM, said:

There's an option missing from your poll.

Because I'm a Dinger.

^^ This!

Lord_Edge #15 Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:58 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5991 battles
None of the above, I mainly use gold ammo in tanks that are designed around their gold ammo and so underperform terribly when firing regular ammo.

TungstenHitman #16 Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:04 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24315 battles

View PostSpecteri, on 02 December 2017 - 10:36 PM, said:

why do you use it? 

5 main reasons. These depend on APCR or Heat of course.

1. Bottom tier - new MM means that anything not tier9 and 10 is pretty much always bottom tier, while there are a lot of same tier tanks, even same tier HTs are very hard to pen, as they should be, this is the sacrifice HT players make in exchange for slow tanks, zero camo and as such, being victim of arty cancer, TDs and dmg assist soaking LTs, so add +2 tiers to these HTs and some heavily armored TDs on corridor maps, as bottom tier, you can see why gold ammo at times, is needed.

2. Velocity -  Typically more applicable to APCR, there are some tanks that have really pathetic standard AP shell velocity and while you can work your way around this and make your way to close ranges most times, there are other times where you simply need that laser speed that APCR gives the gun. This is judged on experience, situation and worth of bothering. Close battles, killing the crucial game changing enemy tank, being circled by an F1 car like LT, many situations call for high velocity rounds. Increased shell velocity massively reduces the likelihood of moving targets escaping being hit, coupled to this the added pen and both work together to both hit and pen moving targets, you can see how this is a huge gain.

3. To make sure - Coupled with the above reasons, there are situation in which standard AP pen indicator is showing orange and very much reliant on RNG, tapping that 2 key significantly improves that chance of punching through that armor.

4. It turns might be wins into comfortable wins. - You would never forgive yourself for choosing the cheap way out and losing an epic, hard fought, close, brilliant battle, a person best perhaps, just because, come the last shot or shots of the battle, you lost ONLY because your standard AP failed to either clip the target or pen the target.. after all, well, at least for me anyway, I play for the huge epic wins to savor. You can never know which battle this will be, but never be unprepared for it to happen EVERY battle and in those moments when you are all alone, and several enemy tanks you know you can beat... if only ya had a few gold rounds to make 100% sure but cheaped out and never had.. **** that!

Edit(5). Almost forgot, some tanks just have standard AP that totally sucks, sucks vs its own tier, certainly a joke vs higher tiers. There are tanks at pretty much any tier that qualifies for this and so simply MUST be played with gold ammo just to have average levels of pen for same tier let alone higher tier opposition. I avoid these tanks like the plague, way too expensive to run obviously. 

Bottom line, never go into battle without at least, imo, a tank or two worth of gold ammo, what are credits anyway? for spending right? You don't have to use this ammo recklessly or needlessly BUT, I hope all of you guys play this game for, of all the thousands and tens of thousands of ok and nice and bad and great battles... just that one monstrous, that one BEAST, SAVAGE win to sit back and savor... never let some credits be the reasons you didn't :) 

Edited by TungstenHitman, 03 December 2017 - 01:09 AM.

Codename_Jelly #17 Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:55 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 16412 battles
No option for "Want to 3 mark tank"

vasilinhorulezz #18 Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22813 battles

When a Maus can't be penned even if he's completely badly angled, guess what, I'm HEATing up.

Removal of weakspots and constant bottom tier games for some tiers, especially Tier 8, will make the gold spam more frequent.

There are a lot of factors to account about ammo types, and rebalancing premium rounds would require a map-tank-ammo overhaul, in order to make it work properly.

The problem is, WG showed us how good are at balancing stuff with a lot of the recent changes. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users