I hate WZ-120-1G FT, yet I keep playing it.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

logaritmusnaturalis #1 Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:35 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 1703 battles

[edited]this tank, I hate it, the gun is complete potato trash. You want to snipe from long range, forget it man, with that aim time and mediocre accuracy it's just not viable at all, and I'm fine with that because I know this isn't a bushwanker.

So you wan't to snipe from medium range? The aim time still doesn't cut it, and combine that with the mediocre accuracy and there will be many missed shots, but when you do hit a shot boy does it tickle your anus. It's bad at medium range and you will not be able to utilize it's dpm, but it's still a somewhat viable option and i guess the RoF makes up for the missed shots to a certain extant. 

But this where i hate this tank, even in close quarters battle, your shots can completely potato, sometimes even completely miss! Aiming for weakspots is a pain in the [edited]unless you are face to face. It can really piss you right off when close range shots completely miss, it's pretty damn infuriating. Close range battles is still viable if you can use your armor to your advantage or if you can make good trades or shot distracted enemies yayada. It's pretty difficult though to be effective.

In this tank you need to know when your armor is effective and how to properly use it. For example, say you spawn in ensk and go to the city to the fight, well you are on completely flat ground and since your tank profile is low enemies have shots down on your tank making your front hulls angling much less efficient, you are basically cheese for everything tier 7 and up. To make use of this thing frontal hull armor you have to use your gun depression to the max, if you're gun is depressed near it's limit you will have most use of the armor, you will probably even bounce some tier 9 and 10 guns. But your surroundings does not always enable you to use the armor, as in the ensk example, so the armor is quite situational. 

Mobility is damn good though. 

I hate this tank, but the odd mix strenghts and weaknesses is quite appealing to me as it offers a challenge, and sometimes you have some really fun games in it, when the gun behaves. All in all it's a pile of garbage with a high skill cap, if you like a challenge and a combination of odd features on your tanks then it might be something for you, just remember you might hate its guts. 

ExclamationMark #2 Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:51 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 16679 battles

Once I hit 100 battles I will have the highest DPG in the tank on the EU server. So I guess you can say I know how to play it. :P

I won't write anything right now, but this is my setup:

Spoiler

Okay, first I'll talk about crew skills

Take camo for obvious reasons. This thing has incredibly good base camo - 23.09% to be exact. That is 0.50% better than the Rhm, and 3% worse than the Udes, keep in mind both of which have absolutely no armour. With my crew I have 46% camo stationary, 29% when moving (which is as good as some of my LTs) and 8.34% when firing. That is very good, especially for a tank with quite a high caliber gun. In-game that means you are 'reducing' an enemy's view range to 407m if they have 445m view range (max spotting distance). So take camo skill to capitalize on all this.

Once you're on 2nd skill take 6th sense, repairs, smooth ride and drop camo on the loader for safe stowage. Smooth ride because the gun handling on this tank is terrible, the only real downside to it in my experience. Repairs because you shouldn't play this tank as a redline glass-cannon TD (I will explain my playstyle later).

When on 3rd skill, reset skills and take the following:

Commander - BIA, 6th, camo

Gunner - BIA, camo, repairs

Driver - BIA, smooth ride, camo

Loader - BIA, SS, camo

When on 4th skill, reset skills and mirror my crew's setup. I would highly recommend playing this tank with food to help with the gun handling, so take preventative maintenance (haven't been set on fire yet). As long as you're not spamming HEAT while not penning your shots, you will easily make back the 20k credits. Also take Situational Awareness as your 3rd skill on commander if you're going to run optics like I do, which I recommend doing.

Now I'll talk about tank setup.

For equipment, there are only 4 things you should be considering to take. However there are 2 that I wouldn't recommend playing without:

- rammer, for obvious reasons

- GLD, to help deal with the terrible aim time

The last spot should be taken up by either optics or binos. The base viewrange on this tank is 380m. For a T8 TD that is ludicrously high. That pretty much hinted to me that it should be played with optics from the get-go, but I did play roughly 10 games with binos just to see how it played. Because of the poor gun traverse limitations, it didn't fare so well. That and because it doesn't have a turret. 

With optics it's like a different tank. Playing aggressive feels far safer because you are rarely going to be outspotted, even by light tanks, due to the (with my setup) 460m VR and 29% camo on the move. Spotting in this tank is actually quite a good idea.

In regards to ammo loadout, obviously this will vary from player to player. However, I chose 20-12-3, though I am likely going to change to 22-12-1, because I've rarely used the HE in this. It doesn't have that high of a damage increase over AP/HEAT anyway - 530 vs. 440. The AP on this tank is quite good, coupled with the 0.33 accuracy I rarely feel the need to use HEAT. The only occasions that I would use HEAT is against superheavies, heavily armoured TDs and Defenders, out of spite. That and if it was a tense situation and I needed to ensure that I pen the next shot. 310 HEAT pen is damn good for a TD and I far prefer it over 311 APCR of the Skorpion (which, speaking of, I found sniping in far worse). That and the fact that sniping with APCR these days just sucks, if you're trying to pen something with strong armour. 

Whether or not you run large kits is up to you, but I personally don't run large kits on <T9 tanks. Especially since this is a TD. I highly recommend playing with food, for reasons previously mentioned - to help with gun handling, but also to get better viewrange. If you're not going to run food, then I would recommend playing with binos, not optics, because unless you have both SA and Recon @ 100% you won't get above max spotting distance. In general I make ~90k profit per game with the WZ, so it certainly does pay for itself (I know I have high DPG, but even if you're averaging around 2k DPG you should be getting 70k profit per game with premium).

And now for playstyle

In general, I wouldn't recommend playing this tank like it's a redline bushfapping glass cannon, because it's not. On flat ground, you have 200-220mm effective armour on the upper superstructure of the tank. That's already very good for a tank with 3.3k DPM and medium-levels of mobility (I'm yet to be circled by any tank in over 70 games). When using full gun depression (which can be tricky in some situations), you have 230mm effective on the weakest part of the lower superstructure of the tank, and 250mm on the upper part. That's pretty impressive - rivalling the armour of the T28 which being better at everything else other than gun handling.

You need to use this to bully tanks. Go fight the heavies when top tier, you will shred them to pieces. When in a full T8 game, go bully the meds, even with gold a lot of them won't be able to pen you. When bottom dog, try to find tanks that aren't fully upgraded, and feast on those. I know that can be difficult but it's very rewarding. Just yesterday I killed a full HP Conqueror that had the stock gun, in just under 40 seconds. He penned me once. Obviously when they start to shoot gold you need to play it safe - you don't have the HP to trade with T9/10 tanks. 

When bottom dog in a T10 game, you need to try and play against other T8s. When that doesn't work, now is when you should play the WZ like an actual TD. Find somewhere where you can either double bush or snipe outside of spotting distance. Don't be afraid to spam HEAT at highly armoured tanks, you have the pen to easily go through them if you hit the correct parts. 

That's all I can really think of. Hope it helps. :P

Edited by ExclamationMark, 05 December 2017 - 05:21 PM.

Sfinski #3 Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:57 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 30958 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-
For me this is far better than Skorpion G. Just play aggressive support with it and everything is fine.

Derethim #4 Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:31 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17135 battles
I'd swap it for my Cda any day.

Pandabird #5 Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:40 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33973 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF
Hated the Chi-Ri, kept playing it though. Dunno why even tho i had sta-1 unlocked i kept pressing that button. There was just something oddly satisfying about driving a cardboard box with an interesting gun.

Modules and crew were well hidden (except for engine damage) allowing you to trade hp efficiently.

But in hindsight i really don't understand how i reached over 500 battles in it

etody77 #6 Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:55 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 61666 battles
  • [PT-RO] PT-RO

View PostDerethim, on 05 December 2017 - 08:31 AM, said:

I'd swap it for my Cda any day.

i hate both, they are have good frontal armour and good mobility, they can be played agressive. for someone that like td's, this 2 things are op

250swb #7 Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:57 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21712 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

The first thing the OP needs to do for transparency is post from the same account he is using this tank on.

But it is one of the best tanks tier-for-tier and type-for-type that WG have released recently, so something is amiss.

Edited by 250swb, 05 December 2017 - 09:58 AM.

TeddyMosby #8 Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:20 AM

Private

• Player
  • 9429 battles
  • [SETI] SETI
Love playing this tank, haven't played enough games in it yet though.

Armour is actually really good I find myself bouncing alot and it can trade like a champ with that dpm

Had a game in it recently in sh where I was able to face head on 3 is3s that just kept bouncing me ended up killing 1 half healthing the other 2 before I died aswell. Wiggles in that tank is brilliant.

CDA on the other hand just sucks you do get the odd bounce but even that gun can be derpy at times

HundeWurst #9 Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:34 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 67720 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

That tank is borderline OP, if not OP in general.

Play it like a medium! Do it! You have excellent viewrange great camo, insane armor and a powerfull gun.

This tank is NOT a sniper. I repreat it is NOT a sniper. Its a close combat brawler.

Dont trust me? No problem, here are my stats: 250 battles played in it, 70 % solo winrate (considering the current MM thats insane for tier 8), 2700 average damage, 900 assist, 2 kills and first spots per battle.

Dont play it like some clown backline sniper TD. Its a brawler, and if you want to snipe about anything you MUST fully aim. Dont even bother shooting on even short to mid ranges if you are not fully aimed.

Etre_ #10 Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:37 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 50949 battles
  • [WEBOB] WEBOB

View PostSfinski, on 05 December 2017 - 05:57 AM, said:

For me this is far better than Skorpion G. Just play aggressive support with it and everything is fine.

No it isn't. Are a bit different in play style and you can't straight compare them.  

For me Skorpion G is better for punishing high tier tanks at distance and while it can spot, is not it's strong point.

WZ-120-1G FT can be a very good spotter, can even bounce stuff if you guess the shot and angle the tank at the right time. Problem is the gun. Sometimes works ... sometimes you can't pen a ST-I from 30m frontally 4 times in a row, either with AP or gold. 

Edited by Etre_, 05 December 2017 - 11:37 AM.

Sfinski #11 Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:54 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 30958 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

View PostEtre_, on 05 December 2017 - 12:37 PM, said:

No it isn't. Are a bit different in play style and you can't straight compare them.  

For me Skorpion G is better for punishing high tier tanks at distance and while it can spot, is not it's strong point.

WZ-120-1G FT can be a very good spotter, can even bounce stuff if you guess the shot and angle the tank at the right time. Problem is the gun. Sometimes works ... sometimes you can't pen a ST-I from 30m frontally 4 times in a row, either with AP or gold. 

First you deny my opinion and continue telling yours...

Why do you tell me your opinion if opinions don't matter?

Yes, WZ is better tank of the two, for me, like I stated. You have no basis to try and deny that. Also, I can compare any two tanks and tell which is better for me. Again something you have no say about.

Etre_ #12 Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 50949 battles
  • [WEBOB] WEBOB

View PostSfinski, on 05 December 2017 - 11:54 AM, said:

First you deny my opinion and continue telling yours...

Why do you tell me your opinion if opinions don't matter?

Yes, WZ is better tank of the two, for me, like I stated. You have no basis to try and deny that. Also, I can compare any two tanks and tell which is better for me. Again something you have no say about.

You are not too bright, aren't you ? 

Lets exagerate so you can understand. Comparing these 2 is like comparing a Maus and an Obj 140. You can have oppinions about these tanks but you can't straight compare them because those have different roles. Both are good at their thing.

WZ 120 and Skorpion G are good at their thing, got it now ?

Temid23 #13 Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 51366 battles
  • [G-STR] G-STR

Are you a fail reroll or bad alt account?

This is crazy good tank btw, top 3 of all tier 8 td's.

Sfinski #14 Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:07 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 30958 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

View PostEtre_, on 05 December 2017 - 01:03 PM, said:

You are not too bright, aren't you ? 

Lets exagerate so you can understand. Comparing these 2 is like comparing a Maus and an Obj 140. You can have oppinions about these tanks but you can't straight compare them because those have different roles. Both are good at their thing.

WZ 120 and Skorpion G are good at their thing, got it now ?

Well clearly brighter than you. How can you think you can say over me what I think about anything? What kind godcomplex do you have?

Etre_ #15 Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 50949 battles
  • [WEBOB] WEBOB

View PostSfinski, on 05 December 2017 - 12:07 PM, said:

Well clearly brighter than you. How can you think you can say over me what I think about anything? What kind godcomplex do you have?

You were trying to appear smart by saying that I contradicted myself. That was not the case. Wasn't about opinions, everyone can have them and everyone can be wrong, me included. Got it now ?

Edited by Etre_, 05 December 2017 - 12:13 PM.

wiggles #16 Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:21 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 33877 battles

Guys...

Sorry, goes on a bit but it's awesome so...meh

Edited by wiggles, 05 December 2017 - 12:22 PM.

Long_Range_Sniper #17 Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:30 PM

General

• Player
  • 30609 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostSfinski, on 05 December 2017 - 11:07 AM, said:

You'd think God would turn his webcam off as well!

Csxi7tN.jpg

In terms of these tanks I'd much rather go up against a Scorpion G. You know how slow they are to turn, easy to spot and easy to penetrate.

Sfinski #18 Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:31 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 30958 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

View PostEtre_, on 05 December 2017 - 01:11 PM, said:

You were trying to appear smart by saying that I contradicted myself. That was not the case. Wasn't about opinions, everyone can have them and everyone can be wrong, me included. Got it now ?

I've gotten it the whole time, but you still don't. You claimed to know what I prefer better than I do. Like me saying I like pizza and then you come and deny it and say I actually like burgers more. 

Never said anything about which is better, only which is better FOR ME. See the bloody difference?

Bellend.

dennez #19 Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:21 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16826 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I love mine.. But after about 5-10 games the turretlessness™ starts to get annoying and i need to switc to something else to not lose my sanity, especially when you play it very aggressively. Its probably the most fun and playable tier 8 prem out there. Its never top tier, like all the other tier 8's, but when it is.. Oh boy.

SlyMeerkat #20 Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:30 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15830 battles
  • [FILO] FILO
Just keep playing it and sooner or later you will get the hang of it, thats what i do when grinding tanks and keep to that one so i learn it faster and get through it that bit quicker too

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users