heavy crew skills british

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

xStormzY #1 Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:53 PM

Private

• Player
  • 90 battles

Good evening,

I have recently started playing this game, and I have to say I love it. When I was creating my account, I was aware of the existence of invite codes and used one to get the British tier V heavy tank - Excelsior. So far so good, I love that tank. I am still learning the tank and getting used to it, while also leveling up my crew so that I can start working on my skills.

At the moment of writing, my crew is on 95% experience, which means that soon I will have to choose my first skills. But, this is were I struggle. I have been following this game for so long, watching some of the best players from EU/NA, but I never learnt how to choose the crew skills. Basically, I want to understand how you choose the skills that a tank needs to have? For example - my Excelsior, what do I need to look after to make a setup of crew skills that is fitting my play style? Can you please help me understand, and maybe guide me?

Also, I would appreciate a lot if you share your ideas about the skills you would use for this tank, and why. That will also help me understand how the skills work, while also trying to find the way how you chose those skills. All the help is very appreciated, thanks for your time!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I am already running Toolbox on my heavy tank, which means that I already have 25% accelerated repair speed.

Best regards,

xStormzY

Edited by xStormzY, 06 December 2017 - 09:35 PM.

captainpigg #2 Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:22 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29531 battles
  • [F-DIV] F-DIV

Heavies get repairs always (french autoloaders notwithstanding) as first skill to train.

Also don't train a crew for the Excelsior, but for a regular British heavy tank.

Edited by captainpigg, 06 December 2017 - 09:24 PM.

Homer_J #3 Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:29 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 25881 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Just stick repair on the whole crew, when that gets to 100% then come back for more advice.

xStormzY #4 Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:34 PM

Private

• Player
  • 90 battles

View Postcaptainpigg, on 06 December 2017 - 09:22 PM, said:

Heavies get repairs always (french autoloaders notwithstanding) as first skill to train.

Also don't train a crew for the Excelsior, but for a regular British heavy tank.

View PostHomer_J, on 06 December 2017 - 09:29 PM, said:

Just stick repair on the whole crew, when that gets to 100% then come back for more advice.

Thanks for the advises. Forgot to mention that I am already running Toolbox on my heavy tank, which means that I already have 25% accelerated repair speed. How much more I want to increase the repair speed?

And please, share some crew skill set up that you would use on this tank, or another heavy tank, generally speaking. That's why I created this thread, I need time to understand how does work and how to choose the skills based on the heavy tank.

Edited by xStormzY, 06 December 2017 - 10:56 PM.

lord_chipmonk #5 Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:35 PM

General

• Player
  • 30673 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

Firstly, welcome to the game, hope you enjoy it! :playing: I'll start with a couple of general points, bear in mind that this is all subject to a lot of personal preference, but even so there are some crew setups that are just better than others:

1) So, crew skills as with many things generally want to do one of two things, either accentuate a tank's existing strengths or mitigate some of its weaknesses. 

2) Subsequent crew skills cost ever increasing amounts of xp. This means that in practice it is fairly rare for each crew member to have more than ~4 skills even for a veteran player with many battles under their belt. This means you want to pick your skills very, very carefully, and the first few are the most important. 

3) Crew skills are split into two types. The first, called helpfully enough "skills" have some sort of effect, and the size of that effect increases as you level that skills up. So, a skill at 95% is more effective than a skill at 50%. The second  type are called perks. These have no effect whatsoever until they reach 100% at which point that have the stated effect. There are also some what I'll call "global" skills or perks. These ones have an effect but their effect is maximised by having the entire crew with that skill, or in the case of a perk don't work until the entire crew has them fully trained. 

Next, you are talking about the Excelsior. Now, the Excelsior is a premium tank. This means (among other things) that you can use crews from regular tanks of the same nation and type of tank in them with no penalty, they do not to be retrained. So, the best question to ask is what crew skills would be useful for the British heavy tank line. Helpfully, the Excelsior will benefit from many of the same skills. So, what skills are decent for the British heavies?

Priority skills (the ones you want to take first/second):

6th sense (perk, commander)

This incredibly powerful perk allows you to know when you have been spotted. Even in a heavy tank where you probably expect to be in the thick of the action, this has many uses. I won't go through them now, as that would be a whole guide on its own, but suffice to say it is pretty much considered essential at higher tiers by many good players. 

Repairs (skill, global)

In a heavy tank, you expect to get shot at quite a lot. So, it is useful to be able to repair things (especially tracks) quickly. 

Safe stowage (perk, loader)

Especially at the higher tiers, the Brits have vulnerable ammo racks. The last thing you want is to lose your head over it. 

Useful skills (the ones you want to take when you've already picked the priority ones, usually less powerful but still useful or powerful but with a downside):

Brothers in arms (perk, global)

Gives an all round buff to your crew, which is nice. Unfortunately, your whole crew needs to be trained in it, and the skill must be at 100% on everyone before it works, which is quite the investment.

Recon (skill, commander)

More view range is nice, especially when you consider that British heavies tend to have decent view range to start with and some pretty accurate guns allowing you to engage from range if needed. 

Situational awareness (skill, radio operator)

Similar story as recon. 

Armourer (perk, gunner)

British heavies often like to go hull down, which results in your gun being knocked out quite a lot. Has become rather less useful with the advent of cool down timers on repair kits. 

Snap shot (skill, gunner)

Makes your gun more accurate after turning the turret, which leads to you aiming less which reduces the chances of taking damage from return fire. 

Smooth ride (skill, driver)

Same story as snap shot, but works with the tank moving rather than the turret. 

Bogey skills (skills that are best avoided most of the time):

Firefighting (skill, global)

Fire extinguisher consumable is just more efficient and especially now with the cool down, a better option. Only time I have really seen people use this is if they are planning to leave the fire extinguisher at home for some reason. 

Mentor (skill, commander)

More xp sounds good on paper, but in practice the boost is small. Combine that with the fact that it has to be your first skill if you want the most use out of it and the fact that it takes the place of a commander skill (a crew member with a large number of useful skills) make it a dubious option. You will probably perform better and hence get more xp from 6th sense. 

Deadeye (perk, gunner)

The increase is very small. There are so many better options. 

Hope that helps!

Edited by lord_chipmonk, 06 December 2017 - 09:37 PM.

Homer_J #6 Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:13 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 25881 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostxStormzY, on 06 December 2017 - 08:34 PM, said:

Thanks for the advises. Forgot to mention that I am already running Toolbox on my heavy tank, which means that I already have 25% accelerated repair speed. How much more I want to increase the repair speed?

As fast as possible really and eventually you could drop the repair box for something else.

But if you don't want that then.

Mentor on the Commander - training 6th sense from the start is just wasting exp.  When he is 100% then get hold of 100 gold and reskill him.

Snapshot on gunner, smooth ride on driver, situational awareness on radioman, repair on the loader because he only has perks of any use.

IF you decide to use the crew on the British line (so far you have played none of the British lines) then you'll eventually want 6th sense, BIA (on all crew), off road driving, smooth ride, snapshot, safe stowage, and full repair.  The radioman will be only needed in the Excelsior once you get to tier VIII.  The loader can have situational awareness from tier VIII up.

xStormzY #7 Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:55 PM

Private

• Player
  • 90 battles

View Postlord_chipmonk, on 06 December 2017 - 09:35 PM, said:

Firstly, welcome to the game, hope you enjoy it! :playing: I'll start with a couple of general points, bear in mind that this is all subject to a lot of personal preference, but even so there are some crew setups that are just better than others:

1) So, crew skills as with many things generally want to do one of two things, either accentuate a tank's existing strengths or mitigate some of its weaknesses. 

2) Subsequent crew skills cost ever increasing amounts of xp. This means that in practice it is fairly rare for each crew member to have more than ~4 skills even for a veteran player with many battles under their belt. This means you want to pick your skills very, very carefully, and the first few are the most important. 

3) Crew skills are split into two types. The first, called helpfully enough "skills" have some sort of effect, and the size of that effect increases as you level that skills up. So, a skill at 95% is more effective than a skill at 50%. The second  type are called perks. These have no effect whatsoever until they reach 100% at which point that have the stated effect. There are also some what I'll call "global" skills or perks. These ones have an effect but their effect is maximised by having the entire crew with that skill, or in the case of a perk don't work until the entire crew has them fully trained. 

Next, you are talking about the Excelsior. Now, the Excelsior is a premium tank. This means (among other things) that you can use crews from regular tanks of the same nation and type of tank in them with no penalty, they do not to be retrained. So, the best question to ask is what crew skills would be useful for the British heavy tank line. Helpfully, the Excelsior will benefit from many of the same skills. So, what skills are decent for the British heavies?

Priority skills (the ones you want to take first/second):

6th sense (perk, commander)

This incredibly powerful perk allows you to know when you have been spotted. Even in a heavy tank where you probably expect to be in the thick of the action, this has many uses. I won't go through them now, as that would be a whole guide on its own, but suffice to say it is pretty much considered essential at higher tiers by many good players. 

Repairs (skill, global)

In a heavy tank, you expect to get shot at quite a lot. So, it is useful to be able to repair things (especially tracks) quickly. 

Safe stowage (perk, loader)

Especially at the higher tiers, the Brits have vulnerable ammo racks. The last thing you want is to lose your head over it. 

Useful skills (the ones you want to take when you've already picked the priority ones, usually less powerful but still useful or powerful but with a downside):

Brothers in arms (perk, global)

Gives an all round buff to your crew, which is nice. Unfortunately, your whole crew needs to be trained in it, and the skill must be at 100% on everyone before it works, which is quite the investment.

Recon (skill, commander)

More view range is nice, especially when you consider that British heavies tend to have decent view range to start with and some pretty accurate guns allowing you to engage from range if needed. 

Situational awareness (skill, radio operator)

Similar story as recon. 

Armourer (perk, gunner)

British heavies often like to go hull down, which results in your gun being knocked out quite a lot. Has become rather less useful with the advent of cool down timers on repair kits. 

Snap shot (skill, gunner)

Makes your gun more accurate after turning the turret, which leads to you aiming less which reduces the chances of taking damage from return fire. 

Smooth ride (skill, driver)

Same story as snap shot, but works with the tank moving rather than the turret. 

Bogey skills (skills that are best avoided most of the time):

Firefighting (skill, global)

Fire extinguisher consumable is just more efficient and especially now with the cool down, a better option. Only time I have really seen people use this is if they are planning to leave the fire extinguisher at home for some reason. 

Mentor (skill, commander)

More xp sounds good on paper, but in practice the boost is small. Combine that with the fact that it has to be your first skill if you want the most use out of it and the fact that it takes the place of a commander skill (a crew member with a large number of useful skills) make it a dubious option. You will probably perform better and hence get more xp from 6th sense. 

Deadeye (perk, gunner)

The increase is very small. There are so many better options. 

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the amazing post, much appreciated! I took the time to read the post multiple times, to make sure I understood everything you have written. Thanks for providing the overview of the skills, along with their efficiency. Forgot to mention on my initial post (edited after) that I am already using Toolbox, which increases the repair speed by 25%. So far I understood that I need to go after the Repairs, but with the combination of my Toolbox, how many skills I should take? Or it is really not important? I have received the Toolbox as a newbie mission reward, which means I don't have the credits at the moment to buy additional equipment for my tank.

One more thing I wanted to ask you: should I really go after the 6th Sense skill? I am front line almost always, will it really be of a value when playing heavy tank? In most of the games, I am considering that I am already spotted because of my style and the fact that I am playing heavy tank (Arty approves this :sceptic:).

View PostHomer_J, on 06 December 2017 - 10:13 PM, said:

As fast as possible really and eventually you could drop the repair box for something else.

But if you don't want that then.

Mentor on the Commander - training 6th sense from the start is just wasting exp.  When he is 100% then get hold of 100 gold and reskill him.

Snapshot on gunner, smooth ride on driver, situational awareness on radioman, repair on the loader because he only has perks of any use.

IF you decide to use the crew on the British line (so far you have played none of the British lines) then you'll eventually want 6th sense, BIA (on all crew), off road driving, smooth ride, snapshot, safe stowage, and full repair.  The radioman will be only needed in the Excelsior once you get to tier VIII.  The loader can have situational awareness from tier VIII up.

I am not planning to spend gold on retraining, for now. Which means I need to consider another options. In general, I don't know if the other British heavies fit my style, to be honest. This leads to the point that I will be playing the Excelsior for quite a lot games, thus looking for making a crew special for the needs of this tank.

Edited by xStormzY, 06 December 2017 - 10:59 PM.

fnaves_POR #8 Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:08 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 56310 battles

Crew skills depend of what type of equiment you install and the type of tank

you need to decide what equiment to install 1st

a) for fast reload fast aim tanks, rammer, VS and optics 

b) for long reload long aim time tanks, rammer, vents, VS or GLD

for a) 6th sense, repairs, situational awareness and recon, etc

for b) 6th sense , repairs, BIA, snap shot, etc

have a look at old page http://wiki.wargamin.../World_of_Tanks

Gremlin182 #9 Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:03 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 42127 battles

You do not need to spend gold to retrain crews, if you retrain for credits your crew will go from 100% to 90% which is fine and it doesn't take very long to get back to 100%

If you really feel at some point that a 90% crew is not what you want then fine use gold.

If possible always retrain when there is a 50% sale running not too important when you have a lot of credits spare "which will happen eventually" but if using gold 50% reduction is great.

The excelsior is a British Premium heavy tank and as already mentioned you do not need to have a dedicated crew trained for a premium tank.

The excelsior will accept any British heavy tank crew without retraining, that's one of the advantages.

Suppose you get to the Churchill 1 with a crew trained for it, you play the first game in that and get the X2 or at the moment X3 for the first win, then you move that crew into the Excelsior "without retraining" and get another X2 or X3 do that every time you play and your crew trains faster.

http://wiki.wargamin.../World_of_Tanks

There are a lot of guides to tanks often searching for name of tank guide or name of tank crew skills/equipment will tell you what others are using.

The wargaming site above often gives a bit of equipment advice for the excelsior they recon Rammer to increase rate of fire Gun Lay drive to reduce aim time, Vents to give a small improvement to everything and a Toolbox. You can only have 3 pieces so its up to you which benefits your playstyle.

http://wiki.wargamin...GB51_Excelsior.

final point for now

Everything goes on sale if you can work with the game on that its way less expensive.

At the moment you will be very short of credits but once you stop unlocking new tanks almost daily your spending slows down and credits start to increase.

Tier 5 and 6 is the sweet spot running costs are low and tanks make good profits.

So buy equipment when 50% off initially a toolbox camo net and Binoculars will do you and you can move them from tank to tank.

Retrain crews also during sales

xStormzY #10 Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:55 AM

Private

• Player
  • 90 battles

View Postfnaves_POR, on 07 December 2017 - 12:08 AM, said:

Crew skills depend of what type of equiment you install and the type of tank

you need to decide what equiment to install 1st

a) for fast reload fast aim tanks, rammer, VS and optics 

b) for long reload long aim time tanks, rammer, vents, VS or GLD

for a) 6th sense, repairs, situational awareness and recon, etc

for b) 6th sense , repairs, BIA, snap shot, etc

have a look at old page http://wiki.wargamin.../World_of_Tanks

View PostGremlin182, on 07 December 2017 - 01:03 AM, said:

You do not need to spend gold to retrain crews, if you retrain for credits your crew will go from 100% to 90% which is fine and it doesn't take very long to get back to 100%

If you really feel at some point that a 90% crew is not what you want then fine use gold.

If possible always retrain when there is a 50% sale running not too important when you have a lot of credits spare "which will happen eventually" but if using gold 50% reduction is great.

The excelsior is a British Premium heavy tank and as already mentioned you do not need to have a dedicated crew trained for a premium tank.

The excelsior will accept any British heavy tank crew without retraining, that's one of the advantages.

Suppose you get to the Churchill 1 with a crew trained for it, you play the first game in that and get the X2 or at the moment X3 for the first win, then you move that crew into the Excelsior "without retraining" and get another X2 or X3 do that every time you play and your crew trains faster.

http://wiki.wargamin.../World_of_Tanks

There are a lot of guides to tanks often searching for name of tank guide or name of tank crew skills/equipment will tell you what others are using.

The wargaming site above often gives a bit of equipment advice for the excelsior they recon Rammer to increase rate of fire Gun Lay drive to reduce aim time, Vents to give a small improvement to everything and a Toolbox. You can only have 3 pieces so its up to you which benefits your playstyle.

http://wiki.wargamin...GB51_Excelsior.

final point for now

Everything goes on sale if you can work with the game on that its way less expensive.

At the moment you will be very short of credits but once you stop unlocking new tanks almost daily your spending slows down and credits start to increase.

Tier 5 and 6 is the sweet spot running costs are low and tanks make good profits.

So buy equipment when 50% off initially a toolbox camo net and Binoculars will do you and you can move them from tank to tank.

Retrain crews also during sales

Thanks a lot for the advises! As I have a Toolbox already, will keep looking for a sale on Camo net and Binoculars.

captainpigg #11 Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:56 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29531 battles
  • [F-DIV] F-DIV

View PostxStormzY, on 07 December 2017 - 10:55 AM, said:

Thanks a lot for the advises! As I have a Toolbox already, will keep looking for a sale on Camo net and Binoculars.

You can get binocs and camo-net from some of the personal missions as well afaik.

Bordhaw #12 Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:28 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6694 battles

View PostxStormzY, on 06 December 2017 - 07:53 PM, said:

Good evening,

I have recently started playing this game, and I have to say I love it. When I was creating my account, I was aware of the existence of invite codes and used one to get the British tier V heavy tank - Excelsior. So far so good, I love that tank. I am still learning the tank and getting used to it, while also leveling up my crew so that I can start working on my skills.

At the moment of writing, my crew is on 95% experience, which means that soon I will have to choose my first skills. But, this is were I struggle. I have been following this game for so long, watching some of the best players from EU/NA, but I never learnt how to choose the crew skills. Basically, I want to understand how you choose the skills that a tank needs to have? For example - my Excelsior, what do I need to look after to make a setup of crew skills that is fitting my play style? Can you please help me understand, and maybe guide me?

Also, I would appreciate a lot if you share your ideas about the skills you would use for this tank, and why. That will also help me understand how the skills work, while also trying to find the way how you chose those skills. All the help is very appreciated, thanks for your time!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I am already running Toolbox on my heavy tank, which means that I already have 25% accelerated repair speed.

Best regards,

xStormzY

Using the Excelsior would require you to follow the British heavy tank line.  I didn't find it great fun and the Excelsior's gun is poor requiring APCR ammo. 

cellaman7 #13 Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:47 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 32753 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I bought the Excelsior and the first skill I trained was repairs. I'm now working on BIA.

As for equipment I use Vents, Gun Rammer and EGLD

58% WR in it so it does OK

SilentGaze #14 Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:49 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 367 battles

N3RV3's WoT Guide to Equipment, Crew Skills, Consumables has answers to all tank class crew skills. I recommend to read, it if not sure what to do.

He describes all equipment, crew skills, and consumables and tells why you should or should not to use tem. In guide there is also recommendations for all tank classes.

lord_chipmonk #15 Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:42 AM

General

• Player
  • 30673 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View PostxStormzY, on 06 December 2017 - 10:55 PM, said:

Thanks for the amazing post, much appreciated! I took the time to read the post multiple times, to make sure I understood everything you have written. Thanks for providing the overview of the skills, along with their efficiency. Forgot to mention on my initial post (edited after) that I am already using Toolbox, which increases the repair speed by 25%. So far I understood that I need to go after the Repairs, but with the combination of my Toolbox, how many skills I should take? Or it is really not important? I have received the Toolbox as a newbie mission reward, which means I don't have the credits at the moment to buy additional equipment for my tank.

One more thing I wanted to ask you: should I really go after the 6th Sense skill? I am front line almost always, will it really be of a value when playing heavy tank? In most of the games, I am considering that I am already spotted because of my style and the fact that I am playing heavy tank (Arty approves this :sceptic:).

Pleasure, hope you find it useful. :)

1) The better repairs, the better. Once you've got some credits under your belt, often people don't run the toolbox so much anymore. 

2) 6th sense, yes. It is very powerful. E.g., you win the town in a heavy and want to know where other enemies are. You quickly poke your nose out from a corner but quickly pull back. You may not spot anything, but if 6th goes off, you know someone is there. 

Homer_J #16 Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:30 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 25881 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostxStormzY, on 06 December 2017 - 09:55 PM, said:

I am not planning to spend gold on retraining, for now. 

Fine, then wait until he is 42% on the 2nd skill and do it for credits, you lose 26k worth of exp doing it that way.

100 gold is 38pence though.  Worth it in my opinion.

ZlatanArKung #17 Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:59 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 1529 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostxStormzY, on 06 December 2017 - 10:55 PM, said:

One more thing I wanted to ask you: should I really go after the 6th Sense skill? I am front line almost always, will it really be of a value when playing heavy tank? In most of the games, I am considering that I am already spotted because of my style and the fact that I am playing heavy tank (Arty approves this:sceptic:).

I am not planning to spend gold on retraining, for now. Which means I need to consider another options. In general, I don't know if the other British heavies fit my style, to be honest. This leads to the point that I will be playing the Excelsior for quite a lot games, thus looking for making a crew special for the needs of this tank.

I would say he is wrong.

Priority skill on Heavy tanks are.

Commander : 6th sense.

The others: Repair. 

You can't repair tracks to fast.

Repair is the best skill in the game  (apart from 6th sense) for heavy tanks.

When that is trained, I would advocate BIA, and then repair on commander + various perks on other guys.

Some would train repair on commander and various perks on other guys first, and then BIA.

And after 3 skills, the choices becomes rather irrelevant. Usually viewrange skills.

Also tagged with heavy, crew, skills, british

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users