Your First TierX

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:56 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20744 battles

Hi guys,

Today I've finally reached my first tierX milestone. But I can talk about me later... what I found surprising is just what tank it was, nothing that I would have thought it would be when I first started playing this game and my preferred play style as I grew and evolved into this game. I'm wondering if this was the same for you guys and what your story towards tierX is.

1. What was your first tierX?

2. Was it a tank you really wanted and worked towards or was it, like me, something that almost just happened?

3. Was it everything you thought it would be or was finally meeting your perceived hero a disappointment?

4. Was there, is there a tierX you still really want or wanted at the begging but still don't have?

Now for my story if you care, if not, don't bother reading the rest :)

Firstly this is my first tierX milestone reached, unlocked and ready to buy

Spoiler

Now I must admit that I am actually very surprised and this is not the sort of tank I ever envisaged being my first. Let me explain, firstly I didn't really care to get a tierX, was a long long road and I wasn't really interested in taking it. I was very happy eliting my favorite tier 6-7 tanks and playing these regularly, once I knew what playstyle and attributes it was I wanted in a tank.

However, for a long long time, my preferred style was light tanks and tank destroyers.. I played this game to destroy tanks so in my noob ignorance I saw the class called "Tank Destroyer" and so.. well.. that made sense that to destroy tanks, that class would be the best for the job lol, plus I thought and still think they really good great, the wedge shaped low profile ones anyway. Long story short, had lots, but stopped grinding some lines as the tier9 and 10 was meh on paper however meh was not the case with the Swedish TDs so I grinded all the way to tier9 and I'm about 25%  through the tier9 grind and so I really thought a TD was going to be my first tierX, this one

Spoiler

But then came some game changes and imo, both light tanks and tank destroyers are a pretty unreliable and map dependent class nowadays,(edit, they always were map dependent but there were a lot of city maps added and so map rotation and sheer lack of suitable maps makes getting the good maps for theses classes the lower percentage, 1 in 3-5 battles situation) my mid tier light tanks were ruined by WG and at higher tier, all tank classes have same view range which made my desire for light tank gameplay unappealing at those tiers effectively retiring my light tank usage.

So I sifted through tanks on wot gg and watched some youtubers reviews on various tanks that applied to the current patch and focused on tanks that were well rounded on all maps, jack of all trades, masters of nothing, aka medium tanks and some of the lighter heavy tanks, not slow superheavies or awkward tanks that slug around the place taking forever to get anywhere. The result? well I asked you guys for advice on the medium tanks and so currently have the tier9 Leopard grind complete and just need to buy it, that's 1. The tier9 AMX 30, passed the half way BC grind towards that tank and the T-10 actually made sense since that tank is very much like a medium tank and I really really like it. So much so that, 240 battles and 307 kills later, the IS-7 suddenly became unlocked. So there it is, my first tierX milestone.

Interestingly enough when I first played this game, I saw the IS-7 with it's iconic cold war, domed soup spoon turret and thought wow! I want!! but I never actually thought I'd ever get there and as said above, with my preferred play style for a long time, was never on the menu so... funny how things work out :)

Edited by TungstenHitman, 08 December 2017 - 06:00 PM.

vasilinhorulezz #2 Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22780 battles

View PostTungstenHitman, on 08 December 2017 - 05:56 PM, said:

OBJECT 140

2. Was it a tank you really wanted and worked towards or was it, like me, something that almost just happened?

I was very into getting it, pretty much excited when I pressed the unlock button.

3. Was it everything you thought it would be or was finally meeting your perceived hero a disappointment?

I pretty much loved the tank, from the start, although that frontal fuel tanks OMG. But, still I pretty much knew it's weaknesses before unlocking it, so it didn't bother me that much.

4. Was there, is there a tierX you still really want or wanted at the begging but still don't have?

Centurion AX, T110E5, and recently I'm interest in the WZ 111 1-4a.

cragarion #3 Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:16 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 43003 battles

Don't recall,

think i just got it for one of the mission,

disappointment  i don't like tier 10s,

nope dont like tier 10s.

clixor #4 Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:19 PM

Major

• Player
  • 50445 battles

My first tier10 was E-100. Rushed the tiers and had a magnificent 40ish winrate in it after like 100 battles. Then gold for credits came and that instantly went up like 5%. Same for batchat basically. And yes, these tanks still hunt my stats 40k games later.

Mosjmosh #5 Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:21 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 37429 battles

FV4202

When starting out playing the game, I just happened to pick the British medium tanks

I read that the tank was crap and the most useless tier X medium in the game. To me, it seemed just fine. It had some good areas and other bad ones. 
However, I didn't get to play it much as I preferred to platoon with my friends which at the time didn't own any tier X tanks... Even now I dont play much tier X.. just grinding towards them.

Not really

_bluestar_ #6 Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:21 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 25578 battles
  • [EST-D] EST-D
1. It was object 268
2. I kinda wanted it but i wasnt obsessed with getting a tier 10 tank.
3. It was a good upgrade back in a day but now i barely look at it in my garage.
4. JgdPz E100. Whole line of meh Td-s is what stopping me to start grind, exept for the Jagdtiger.

Homer_J #7 Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:23 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

My first tier X was the IS-7, both in beta and live.

Yes, after release I rushed to get it.  At the time, with only three tier X tanks in the game (and one of those was the T30) it was good, though not as good as the tier 9 IS-4.

Since then I have got many more, and they are all a terrible disappointment.

magkiln #8 Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:23 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22680 battles
  • [EKKE] EKKE

1) FV215b.

2) No, I used free-xp to unlock it before it got replaced with the Super Conqueror. Basically I just wanted two tierXs for the price of one. DId the same thing with the Deathstar

3) It plays more or less as I expected. Not a bad tank, but a bit awkward to play and very situational

4)  I wanted a Waffentrager E100, but it's no longer in the game :arta:

HeidenSieker #9 Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:23 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles
OK for those who want to play T10. However, I can't see any advantage in going there or near there, and some disadvantages. Each to his own! Good luck in your venture!

RaxipIx #10 Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:24 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 28581 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Obj 260 was my frist tier 10. Not joking. I'm abs pathetic in that tank,  pretty sad.

My only other tier X is the 13-105 (love my french LT's) and i like the 13-105 quite a lot, but somehow i can't play it as good as  it's lower counterparts.

My next tier X will be the DeathStar, worked my [edited]to grind the line in time, currently 35k exp away from it.

I liked tier 8 before the new MM, and i had plenty of tanks in that tier, but sadly tier 8 MM is abs garbage, so moved up to tier 9 in some lines, in other dropped back to tier 7-6.

I'm also getting close to the IS 4, and for the tier x american arty(missions).

Sfinski #11 Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:26 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 30958 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

FV4202

Yes. Were fan of Brit tanks before started the game.

Bit slow, liked it nonetheless. 

Chieftain. Always the Chieftain. WG scum just isn't competent enough to put it into the game.

Strappster #12 Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:30 PM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostTungstenHitman, on 08 December 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

WZ-132-1.

I really wanted it and worked towards it. I enjoyed playing the Chinese lights and while I've had other tier 10 goals (E-50M, 121 and BatChat came before and I'm still on tier 9 of all those grinds) it was the first line I stuck with until I got it.

It's everything I thought it would be but I've only played 5 battles in it. I suspect I enjoy the grinding more than the end. Grinding gives you goals and unlocking modules is fun - I usually unlock all modules before researching the next tank and you don't get that with most tier 10s.

Well, there's the E-50M, 121 and BatChat for starters. :)

The E-50M was the first tier 10 I genuinely wanted, so much so that my first all-female crew from the StuG missions went into the VK 30.02M and are currently in the E-50 but I went off it when it was restyled with the HD model and the mantlet changed. It doesn't have the same aggressive look so the grind went to a back burner.

The BatChat was the next target and I enjoyed playing French lights, unlocking both the AMX 30 and BabyBat before the light line was extended. After that change I got bored with the BabyBat and started playing other tanks for a bit of variety and discovered the Chinese lights.

My first intention was to grind out the WZ-120 from the light line before the light changes because I was concerned that the connection from the light to the medium line would be removed and I'd have to play the T-34-2. I ended up grinding all three lines to unlock common modules and enjoyed all of them. I got the WZ-120, finished the light line and am almost done with the 110 but again got bored and played something else.

At one point I really desired the T110E4 and reached tier 7 before swapping again, that's one I've been thinking of picking up again as I've really enjoyed playing all the tanks from the T67 on. I would like the M48 Patton but that grind's stalled at the Sherman M4 because I don't find Shermans particularly fun to play with the 76mm gun. I recently started playing my Centurion I again and enjoyed that so I might pick that line up again.

I have two other tier 10s - the FV215b and Squonk. Neither of them have a crew or equipment fitted; I pushed that grind to ensure I had the FV before the Squonk arrived but I don't particularly enjoy playing heavies so the grind was as much a test of patience as it was a desire to reach the end.

speedphlux #13 Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:38 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 42591 battles
  • [TZAR] TZAR

1. Leopard 1. This tank was a furious grind. The moment this line got introduced, it was 8 days from Indien Panzer to the Leo 1. Had saved up Free XP for the Indien Pz's top gun and enough XP stashed up on the Panther II. But everything else was just powergrind, at the time - without Premium Account.

2. My STB-1 was a case of just getting it. Started at Tier V and within a month, I was driving an STB-1. Very pleasant grind. For me at least. My IS-4 was a very carefully planned grind - elite the KV-4, start the old KV-1S line, work my way all the way to the IS-7, and then go back and buy the ST-I. Took me something like an year to finish it, but I'm glad I stuck with the plan. Most painful grind was probably the T110E5. Tier 7 and 8 are awesome, but me and the M103 just didn't got along. I hate this tank till this day.

3. No. Was neither. I knew the Leo 1 was too situational for a rookie, but it was beautiful compared to all the other Tier 10s at that time in the game. Some of the Tier 10s were just brilliant, others were utter garbage and made me feel quite horrible for spending so much time in grinding them. The AMX 50B for me is just horrible. But that's just me.

4. The Maus. I have it unlocked for over 2 years now, but I still haven't brought it. That tank went from an absolute rubbish, to utterly OP PoS. I'm not a fan of each of the states of the vehicle, so I'll just pass. For now. Next on my line to buy is the T57 Heavy.

250swb #14 Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:05 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21735 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I think mine was the Grille 15, just before it was nerfed. But I have quite a number now, and even more available if I spent some XP to jump from tier IX, but I have no patience yet for tier X. I've had an E-100 for three or four months, can't be bothered to put a crew into it. I find I'm researching tier X more and more simply to elite the tier IX tank.

Edited by 250swb, 08 December 2017 - 07:10 PM.

Uebergewicht #15 Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles
  • [ATD] ATD

Glorious IS-4.

I mainly liked the ST-1. The IS-4 just happened because I liked playing the ST-1 so much.

Both. I informed myself beforehand and knew that the IS-4 was not really up to par with most tier 10s - I knew it would be a slight disappointment. I mainly missed the turret and gun depression from the ST-1, and I waited quite a bit after unlocking the IS-4 to actually bother and grind the money, but I finally wanted to experience tier 10. Did okay-ish, but especially win rate is still pretty meh. Interestingly, after not playing that tank for quite a while, I now come back to it occasionally and its growing on me. I think by now I can make better use of the added mobility, and the good base pen plus low profile means I dont feel the need to load gold when going for lower plates. It´s fun for the occasion, but I´m mostly waiting on the line rework that WG promised many, many months ago.

Phew. At the beginning, I hardly knew anything about tanks, and certainly not about the current tier 10s. I went up the KV line because friends recommended it for noobs, not because I really wanted one of the tier 10s. Eventually prusued the IS-4 line as I prefered the T-150 over the KV-85. Probably the only other tier 10 I knew something about back then was the Maus, which was generally considered pretty meh at the time. However I grinded it after the buffs and got it now in my garage. Then maybe the IS-7: After looking up the tech tree I thought pike noses were the way to go as all you needed was to face towards the enemy and make everything bounce :rolleyes: I have the IS-7 unlocked, but I´m waiting for a sale.

Aikl #16 Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:48 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25167 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

1. M48 Patton.
2. Mix of both. M48 got nerfed during the grind, and wasn't particularly attractive. M46 wasn't all that great either (pre-buff, around when they borked the turret). Still curious on what T10 had to bring, though back then I found it rather interesting to play T8, and saw no real reason to go higher than that.
3. Back then you had to grind the 105mm, so it essentially felt like a T9 (DPM was lackluster IIRC) until that point. I.e. no real revelation. Feels like it's worth it now, though. Only took two-three years.
4. Not really. Well, except T92/ConqGC for organized play and arty missions. Just can't manage grinding that stuff, I'd rather clean the mens room at Waterloo station with a toothbrush.

etody77 #17 Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:26 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 61691 battles
  • [PT-RO] PT-RO
Skoda, TVP 50/51

Tomotorqemada #18 Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:28 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14832 battles

Hi guys,

Today I've finally reached my first tierX milestone. But I can talk about me later... what I found surprising is just what tank it was, nothing that I would have thought it would be when I first started playing this game and my preferred play style as I grew and evolved into this game. I'm wondering if this was the same for you guys and what your story towards tierX is.

Now for my story if you care, if not, don't bother reading the rest :)

Firstly this is my first tierX milestone reached, unlocked and ready to buy

Spoiler

Now I must admit that I am actually very surprised and this is not the sort of tank I ever envisaged being my first. Let me explain, firstly I didn't really care to get a tierX, was a long long road and I wasn't really interested in taking it. I was very happy eliting my favorite tier 6-7 tanks and playing these regularly, once I knew what playstyle and attributes it was I wanted in a tank.

However, for a long long time, my preferred style was light tanks and tank destroyers.. I played this game to destroy tanks so in my noob ignorance I saw the class called "Tank Destroyer" and so.. well.. that made sense that to destroy tanks, that class would be the best for the job lol, plus I thought and still think they really good great, the wedge shaped low profile ones anyway. Long story short, had lots, but stopped grinding some lines as the tier9 and 10 was meh on paper however meh was not the case with the Swedish TDs so I grinded all the way to tier9 and I'm about 25%  through the tier9 grind and so I really thought a TD was going to be my first tierX, this one

Spoiler

But then came some game changes and imo, both light tanks and tank destroyers are a pretty unreliable and map dependent class nowadays,(edit, they always were map dependent but there were a lot of city maps added and so map rotation and sheer lack of suitable maps makes getting the good maps for theses classes the lower percentage, 1 in 3-5 battles situation) my mid tier light tanks were ruined by WG and at higher tier, all tank classes have same view range which made my desire for light tank gameplay unappealing at those tiers effectively retiring my light tank usage.

So I sifted through tanks on wot gg and watched some youtubers reviews on various tanks that applied to the current patch and focused on tanks that were well rounded on all maps, jack of all trades, masters of nothing, aka medium tanks and some of the lighter heavy tanks, not slow superheavies or awkward tanks that slug around the place taking forever to get anywhere. The result? well I asked you guys for advice on the medium tanks and so currently have the tier9 Leopard grind complete and just need to buy it, that's 1. The tier9 AMX 30, passed the half way BC grind towards that tank and the T-10 actually made sense since that tank is very much like a medium tank and I really really like it. So much so that, 240 battles and 307 kills later, the IS-7 suddenly became unlocked. So there it is, my first tierX milestone.

Interestingly enough when I first played this game, I saw the IS-7 with it's iconic cold war, domed soup spoon turret and thought wow! I want!! but I never actually thought I'd ever get there and as said above, with my preferred play style for a long time, was never on the menu so... funny how things work out :)

1. is7

2. yes i really wanted it

3. no it turned out to be a false advert and a sheety upset

4. maybe some but its either not urgent or not worth it

gunslingerXXX #19 Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:41 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10727 battles

T100E5.

Seemed a natural progression. I really wanted the T-29, had a lot of fun in that one, recently bought it back. Was my first tank with sixth sense. After about 400-500 battles deceided on impulse to buy T-32 because it was on sale... I did not really plan to advance, because I read T-32 was not that good (one of my highest WR tanks even though I have very poor average dmg).

After that deceided to push to tier 10 just to have at least one tier 10.

Got the T110E5 few months before the nerf. Its an OK tank, still is, but I'm not good enough for tier 10 so I don't play it very often.

I'm still slow grinding towards the Jpz E100, I like to play it fully equipped on the testserver, not sure if I will ever get it in the actual game. Also now opened the tier 9 BC, will use it for some medium missions, probably will unlock the tier 10 BC as next tier 10.

Nice topic btw, interesting read

WindSplitter1 #20 Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:43 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 15544 battles

1. What was your first Tier X?

T57 Heavy.

It really just happened. I only wanted the T49 because at the time, it was the only vehicle with non-premium HEAT shells. After the announce wiz about it, I simply decided to finish the line and having a Tier X, again, at the time, was something I needed. Mostly for PMs.

Both. It was exactly what I thought it would be: a disappointment.

Many:

Finishing:

>B-C 25t -  Still need to unlock the top gun on the previous vehicle.

>Type 5 Heavy - Just bought the Type 4. The use I intend to give it is for the PMs. Can't be bothered with "git gud" in the current state.

>T92 HMC - Need to rebuy the M55. I consider selling it my biggest mistake I've ever done in my account. And because I like SPGs.

>M48 Patton - Still on the T20 (VII)...

>Grille 15 - I only wanted the Borsig, but after testing this one out, 1200m/s with non-APCR? Count me in!

After that:

>TVP 50/51 - Having two autoloading mediums is another thing I need.

>Strv 103B - Simply because it's hard to find.

>Maus - PMs, if Derpzilla fails me and because I really don't care about game balance at all. But I require a proper crew for it.

>T-100LT - Since the Cherrydan is not what I expected, I decided against finishing that line. Same as Strv 103B

>AMX 13 105 - Only if I can get another full Lady Crew.

>B-C 155 58 - Also on the "Maybe Pile". Right now, all Tier X SPGs are garbage in my opinion. But I'll prolly stick with the Nuke Cannon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users