• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Bennie182 #1 Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 51456 battles
  • [WGL-A] WGL-A

Hey guys,

I didn't like the KV-4 when I played it, but I want to rebuy it, because I think ST-1 is worth going for. Usually I would take: optics, rammer, vstab, but Russian heavies have very poor view range, so I wonder if it's worth it to use optics or better use vents. I'd like to have some advice from good players.

With vents I get max 387m, combined with VR skills and BIA.

Optics instead of vents would get max 415, so it's still not great.

Thanks in advance!

dennez #2 Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:44 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16822 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I'd stop using optics on Russian heavies now. Its pretty useless. Use Vents or GLD instead.

Laatikkomafia #3 Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:50 PM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 21315 battles
  • [ELC-P] ELC-P
You can slap whatever you want on it - no equipment can make the tank even as good as "abysmal".

etody77 #4 Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:46 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 61642 battles
  • [PT-RO] PT-RO
Increase RoF, KV-4 has a good sniper gun

dennez #5 Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:51 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16822 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postetody77, on 11 December 2017 - 03:46 PM, said:

Good luck sniping in your tier 8 heavy.. Especially with that devastating alpha and superb gunhandling.. Oh wait..

etody77 #6 Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 61642 battles
  • [PT-RO] PT-RO

View Postdennez, on 11 December 2017 - 03:51 PM, said:

Good luck sniping in your tier 8 heavy.. Especially with that devastating alpha and superb gunhandling.. Oh wait..

No other chance, gun handling is better than on IS-3

dennez #7 Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:02 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16822 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postetody77, on 11 December 2017 - 03:58 PM, said:

No other chance, gun handling is better than on IS-3

Until you start moving your turret..

UrQuan #8 Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:02 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 19398 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

For the KV-4, Optics indeed don't serve much use as bad viewrange remains bad. Vstabs & rammer remain a good choice on it. The third choice would be for vents, as they enhance the tank a little bit in every way.

An alternative can be the Toolbox if you have bad repâirskills on your crew, as faster repair means you can pull out faster after getting tracked.

If you dislike HE knocking out your crews & damaging your tank, Super-Heavy spall liner is an option as well, as the KV-4 is one of the few T8's who can mount the best Spall liner version, but in my opinion, it's a bit too situational compared to vents & Toolbox. Then again, it does help when you face off against derp guns. So tradeoffs :coin:

Edit: Accuracy for the KV-4 topgun is better then it's accuracy stat make appear. While it shows 0,41, it tends to hit pretty well what you aim for as it lacks the derpy gunhanding the classic 122 russian guns tend to have. However, it is not a snapshot gun, you really need to let the aim do it's work & then it hits pretty spot on.

If you snapshot (turn turret & shoot / shoot while moving); you could hit the moon by accident.

Edited by UrQuan, 11 December 2017 - 04:19 PM.

Aikl #9 Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:08 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25167 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

ST-1 is a good idea. KV-4 works rather poorly in the current meta, but has some things you can exploit. Takes armor micromanagement to a new level.

Matchmaking for T8 is crap, and KV-4 is not ideal against T10s. However, it has one very useful feature - 289mm pen on APCR. Triple-platoon, fire up an XP booster, get bottom-tier, aaand press '2' twice to smash through most things frontally and farm experience like a king.

Sidescrape as much as you can - with some luck you can use your crappy T8 to hold corridors against multiple higher-tier tanks (in theory your team should have overmatch on another flank). :great:

Dava_117 #10 Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:17 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18506 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS

I use rammer, V-stab and spalliner. It reallu help to counter derpgun, making your good allaroun armour more effective.

Edit

An spalliner also reduce ramming damage taken, so you can ram even at low HP. :trollface:

Edited by Dava_117, 11 December 2017 - 04:18 PM.

Cobra6 #11 Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:25 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16332 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Rammer / Vents / Vstab

Other configurations are not worth it.

Rammer because you need all the DPM you can get.

Vents because again you need the DPM and the increase in gunhandling it gives as well as small benefits to mobility.

Vstab because you need the gun handling to be as good as possible for when you rotate your turret, snap off a shot and instantly rotate it back again.

KV-4 is all about angling properly and maintaining that angle (angle of turret needs to be slightly less than angle of the hull for maximum armour protection) and you want to snap off shots quickly by rotating the turret, shoot and rotate it back. For that to work effectively you need Vstab and Vents.

I always use the KV-4 for things like the HT-12 mission because it works very well if you know how to properly angle it and if you angle your turret correctly the cupola will still hold up in a lot of engagements.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 11 December 2017 - 04:30 PM.

Bennie182 #12 Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 51456 battles
  • [WGL-A] WGL-A

View Postdennez, on 11 December 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

I'd stop using optics on Russian heavies now. Its pretty useless. Use Vents or GLD instead.

Well.. I never felt like buying IS-7, also after the buff, so I kept my T-10 and put optics on it. Works great! Without VR skills and only BIA I already got my viewrange up to 449m :D

View Postetody77, on 11 December 2017 - 03:46 PM, said:

Sniper gun? Hitting shots was one of my biggest problems on KV-4. I used to miss a lot of fully aimed shots on rather close range. Still I have learned a lot more about the game, so hopefully I can do a lot better on that now.

View PostUrQuan, on 11 December 2017 - 04:02 PM, said:

For the KV-4, Optics indeed don't serve much use as bad viewrange remains bad. Vstabs & rammer remain a good choice on it. The third choice would be for vents, as they enhance the tank a little bit in every way.

An alternative can be the Toolbox if you have bad repairskills on your crew, as faster repair means you can pull out faster after getting tracked.

If you dislike HE knocking out your crews & damaging your tank, Super-Heavy spall liner is an option as well, as the KV-4 is one of the few T8's who can mount the best Spall liner version, but in my opinion, it's a bit too situational compared to vents & Toolbox. Then again, it does help when you face off against derp guns. So tradeoffs :coin:

Edit: Accuracy for the KV-4 topgun is better then it's accuracy stat make appear. While it shows 0,41, it tends to hit pretty well what you aim for as it lacks the derpy gunhanding the classic 122 russian guns tend to have. However, it is not a snapshot gun, you really need to let the aim do it's work & then it hits pretty spot on.

If you snapshot (turn turret & shoot / shoot while moving); you could hit the moon by accident.

Spall liner, doesn't seem to work well I've heard in the current meta. I earlier posted a topic for equipment on VK 100 and people said it doesn't do much, especially against arties.

View PostCobra6, on 11 December 2017 - 04:25 PM, said:

Rammer / Vents / Vstab

Other configurations are not worth it.

Rammer because you need all the DPM you can get.

Vents because again you need the DPM and the increase in gunhandling it gives as well as small benefits to mobility.

Vstab because you need the gun handling to be as good as possible for when you rotate your turret, snap off a shot and instantly rotate it back again.

KV-4 is all about angling properly and maintaining that angle (angle of turret needs to be slightly less than angle of the hull for maximum armour protection) and you want to snap off shots quickly by rotating the turret, shoot and rotate it back. For that to work effectively you need Vstab and Vents.

I always use the KV-4 for things like the HT-12 mission because it works very well if you know how to properly angle it and if you angle your turret correctly the cupola will still hold up in a lot of engagements.

Cobra 6

As always, your feedback is great Cobra! I really appreciate the help you give to people here.

I will buy KV-4 when the discounts start, around the 23rd. Then all vehilces from tier 2-10 are on discount.

Bennie182 #13 Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 51456 battles
  • [WGL-A] WGL-A

It's been so long ago since I played the Russian heavies (except for the T-10 that I still play regularly), so one more question, for those who played it: can I compare the gun handling to the Chinese meds/heavies?

I have played them now for a long time and got used to it, so I think this will really help improving my play in KV-4.

As for crew skills, I know for sure that "snap shot" and "smooth ride" are a must. Is it worth to use "preventative maintenance" and play it with food? I remember the engine got damaged quite a lot when I played it, but the fire chance is pretty low.

Edited by Bennie182, 11 December 2017 - 06:38 PM.

Dava_117 #14 Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:41 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18506 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS

View PostBennie182, on 11 December 2017 - 06:30 PM, said:

Spall liner, doesn't seem to work well I've heard in the current meta. I earlier posted a topic for equipment on VK 100 and people said it doesn't do much, especially against arties.

True, but this because spall liner basically multipy the nominal armour thickness and arty usually hit roof and engine deck, where armour is low. But it is more usefull vs derpgun: for KV-4 turret front, in example, the armour against HE is 180*1.1*1.5=297. If you also take into account that non pen HE half the damage, you will get hit for around 100-150 HP by 910 HP derp.

Edited by Dava_117, 11 December 2017 - 06:47 PM.

Dava_117 #15 Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:43 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18506 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS

View PostBennie182, on 11 December 2017 - 06:38 PM, said:

It's been so long ago since I played the Russian heavies (except for the T-10 that I still play regularly), so one more question, for those who played it: can I compare the gun handling to the Chinese meds/heavies?

I have played them now for a long time and got used to it, so I think this will really help improving my play in KV-4.

As for crew skills, I know for sure that "snap shot" and "smooth ride" are a must. Is it worth to use "preventative maintenance" and play it with food? I remember the engine got damaged quite a lot when I played it, but the fire chance is pretty low.

Preventive maintenance is not that good. You will mainly catch fire due to fuel tanks failure.

Cobra6 #16 Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:39 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16332 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostBennie182, on 11 December 2017 - 05:30 PM, said:

As always, your feedback is great Cobra! I really appreciate the help you give to people here.

I will buy KV-4 when the discounts start, around the 23rd. Then all vehilces from tier 2-10 are on discount.

You are welcome :) I absolutely love the KV-4 as a heavy tank because at first it doesn't look that special when you look at the stats but when you play it right, it's so much fun and so rewarding to actually bounce most incoming fire. It really rewards skills and trigonometry :)

On my KV-4 I have an average damage blocked per match of ~1850HP which is more health than the tank itself has!

That being said, if you don't angle it correctly you will lose your HP very fast.

Cobra 6

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users