Jump to content


S-51, time to say goodbye?


  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

ArgentHellion #1 Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:26 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 8645 battles
  • 163
  • Member since:
    04-19-2015

I remember how the S-51, equipped with the massive 203mm nuclear

warhead dispenser, used to be the bane of existence for pretty much

anything it laid eyes upon, but since the artillery neutering occured

things have changed... radically.

 

At first I didn't notice it since all tier6+ artillery were hit, but then again

the S-51 was my highest artillery piece when the neutering occurred.

Now that I've unlocked other pieces, and especially since I unlocked

tier8 pieces with similar high impact guns, it's becoming increasingly

obvious that the S-51 is now pretty much obsolete.

 

If any artillery piece needed to change in order to adapt, it would be

this one. As it stands, I'm seriously thinking about selling it in favor

of the SU-14-2. Is it worth trading in 0.83 dispersion for 0.77 and

suffering a +1 matchmaker tier? Or maybe just keep it be, cluttering

the garage in hope of it receiving a buff anytime?


Edited by ArgentHellion, 12 December 2017 - 04:27 PM.


Eokokok #2 Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:22 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 18621 battles
  • 6,162
  • Member since:
    04-20-2012

I would say sell it. Literally, there is nothing left out of the S-51 of old.

 

When I got it it was trully OP - it did meet tier X, but reload of 35s make short work of them. Pre-nerf (the first arty nerf that is) it was true king of tier 7 arties with decent mobility and 203mm gun capable of one-shoting most tier 9... Damn, that was fun.

 

Nowdays, you have terrible damage output to go with no gun arc, no self-defense, low ammo count and bad mobility. Also, you will land top tier from time to time and will do 700 damage in a game one-shoting 2 tier 5 tanks and missing completely 3 other shots...

 

This one is a joke, I will sell mine whenever option to get 14-2 shows up. If you want 203mm gun, get yourself 212A.



Darth_Clicker #3 Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:40 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 58484 battles
  • 3,404
  • [4RCE] 4RCE
  • Member since:
    04-30-2013

View PostEokokok, on 12 December 2017 - 11:22 PM, said:

I would say sell it. Literally, there is nothing left out of the S-51 of old.

 

When I got it it was trully OP - it did meet tier X, but reload of 35s make short work of them. Pre-nerf (the first arty nerf that is) it was true king of tier 7 arties with decent mobility and 203mm gun capable of one-shoting most tier 9... Damn, that was fun.

 

Nowdays, you have terrible damage output to go with no gun arc, no self-defense, low ammo count and bad mobility. Also, you will land top tier from time to time and will do 700 damage in a game one-shoting 2 tier 5 tanks and missing completely 3 other shots...

 

This one is a joke, I will sell mine whenever option to get 14-2 shows up. If you want 203mm gun, get yourself 212A.

 

I have never owned the S-51, but I can understand your frustration.  It is very similar, almost identical, to the SU-14-1 which I repurchased just a few days ago to have another go at it.  I upgraded everything and sold it after maybe 10 battles.  What a waste of credits!  Since I already have the Obj 261, 212a (love the 212a) and the SU-14-2, after selling the SU-14-1 I repurchased the SU-8 and am really enjoying that one at the moment.

Edited by Darth_Clicker, 13 December 2017 - 06:40 AM.


Eokokok #4 Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:31 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 18621 battles
  • 6,162
  • Member since:
    04-20-2012

The biggest issue with S-51 nowadays is that it is simply worse then 14-1, having nothing to get for being just bad... It used to be mobile at least, so it could reposition and get aggressive late game, now it is simply gimped artybus...

 

Before arties got nerfed I got games with 4-5k from time to time. First nerf and best one ever was a 3,8k loss, now even getting 2k damage is a challenge. Not even gonna bother telling you here how many times I fired a shot a some paper tanks and were amazed with 400-500 damage...

 

The support arty with stun is not terrible in itself, but rewards should be reworked... For instance assistance could be counted for when enemies lose crew after someone got them to use medikit, dunno, for now this SPG is pretty much unplayable, having low impact on the games and giving pisspoor rewards.



ArgentHellion #5 Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:39 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 8645 battles
  • 163
  • Member since:
    04-19-2015

View PostDarth_Clicker, on 13 December 2017 - 06:40 AM, said:

 It is very similar, almost identical, to the SU-14-1.

 

If stats are to be believed, the 14-1 is basically just a slightly buffed S-51

which paid a +1 tier matchmaker price. Slightly improved accuracy, slightly

improved reload and a bit of a sacrifice in mobility as well (as if the S-51

wasn't enough of a slouch to begin with).

 

I have a feeling that the artillery nerf not only gutted the Russian artillery line,

but practically killed it dead, given its punchline starting from tier5  was the

ability to oneshot pretty much anything it encountered by average output alone.

 

For the sake of completion, I'll force my way through this line as well, since

I'm already committed to this class it makes no sense to leave it behind. If

nothing else, I'll be able to say the entire line sucks from personal experience.


Edited by ArgentHellion, 13 December 2017 - 05:43 PM.


Bravecoward #6 Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:49 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 30462 battles
  • 75
  • [OLDG] OLDG
  • Member since:
    10-17-2014

View PostArgentHellion, on 13 December 2017 - 05:39 PM, said:

 

If stats are to be believed, the 14-1 is basically just a slightly buffed S-51

which paid a +1 tier matchmaker price. Slightly improved accuracy, slightly

improved reload and a bit of a sacrifice in mobility as well (as if the S-51

wasn't enough of a slouch to begin with).

 

I have a feeling that the artillery nerf not only gutted the Russian artillery line,

but practically killed it dead, given its punchline from tier5 and higher was the

bility to oneshot pretty much anything it encountered by average output alone.

 

For the sake of completion, I'll force my way through this line as well, since

I'm already committed to this class it makes no sense to leave it behind. If

nothing else, I'll be able to say the entire line sucks from personal experience.

 

I thought this was going to be a poem, or an ode to the S-51 the way it was laid out. 

Slightly disappointed now.

However, its a great SPG for Russian beginners and getting ure missions for the Jpzr IV etc



ArgentHellion #7 Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:16 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 8645 battles
  • 163
  • Member since:
    04-19-2015

View PostBravecoward, on 13 December 2017 - 05:49 PM, said:

However, its a great SPG for Russian beginners and getting ure missions for the Jpzr IV etc

 

That used to be the case before the neutering, I certainly accomplished

the latter half of the missions with it, but just as it's stated above, the S-51

is nothing but dead weight now, just another step on the grind.

 

As for the missions, the Russian line is now definitely the WORST candidate.

With their accuracy and the gun handling being downright broken now, it

would be for the best to avoid it like the plague. In my opinion the German

and the US artillery are the ones to focus on when doing the missions, due

to their (most) reliable accuracy... or just stick to the Bishop and hope you'll

run into a bunch of muppet players stuck on a random chokepoint to grind.



lronbeast #8 Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:29 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 12098 battles
  • 126
  • [PATA] PATA
  • Member since:
    05-06-2016
The 14-2 has the same top gun as the 14-1. So,  only thing changed is you get to shoot at tier Xs every niw and then,  that's it. Its even slower than 14-1 and even bigger,  so you WILL get spotted,  and you will get two-shotted. I think I might have survived two shots a couple of times...? Anyway. Usually make a whooping 200-400 dmg on a good hit,  but on occasion get to oneshot a scorpion G,  which is nice. :-) 




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users