Tips for Comet

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Bapple09 #1 Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:40 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5662 battles
  • [DUCKI] DUCKI
Just bought a Comet (hence its stock) and am going in with high hopes therefore i dont want to screw over all my games in it. any tips for playing the tank, especially stock. Thanks.

SuedKAT #2 Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:51 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
The first thing you need to get out of your head is that you're not driving a Cromwell anymore, the play style is quite different, took me quite a while to get into the mindset so to speak, at first I was quite disappointed but it grew on me after a while. Always try to utilize your gun depression and don't expose more of your tank than you need to, if that's impossible keep in mind that you got a high RoF gun so tracking etc are very effective. Also keep in mind that you got quite low pen on your standard ammo, even with the top gun, I ran mine with 50/50 standard/premium ammo to be able to stand up against the HT meta. 

Edited by SuedKAT, 12 December 2017 - 09:53 PM.

Slyspy #3 Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:57 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14193 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Also don't play stock if you can in any way avoid it.

JocMeister #4 Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:59 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21787 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Comet is actually a very nice tank. Its quite different though and takes some time getting used to with the low alpha/high RoF. When I first played it in my early WoT career I hated it. But I just started playing it again and I have to say its absolutely fantastic.

As SuedKat says its very different from the Cromwell which is more of a LT/MT hybrid with an awful gun. The Comet is more of a proper medium with a really nice gun. Overall the Comet is pretty average in all areas but where it shines is the -12 gun depression. This means you can work on positions you can´t with other tanks so use those positions. Don´t expect to bounce anything as most of the tank is paper. Even the mantlet is only 100mm effective. Hull is completely paper. You do have a decent HP pool though so conserve HP for the end game because you will need HP to use the DPM.

I used Verts, rammer and optics. You can probably switch out optics for vents if you want to but I prefer the extra viewrange. 

jabster #5 Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:17 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12532 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostSuedKAT, on 12 December 2017 - 08:51 PM, said:

The first thing you need to get out of your head is that you're not driving a Cromwell anymore, the play style is quite different, took me quite a while to get into the mindset so to speak, at first I was quite disappointed but it grew on me after a while. Always try to utilize your gun depression and don't expose more of your tank than you need to, if that's impossible keep in mind that you got a high RoF gun so tracking etc are very effective. Also keep in mind that you got quite low pen on your standard ammo, even with the top gun, I ran mine with 50/50 standard/premium ammo to be able to stand up against the HT meta. 

Now you tell me. That’s the problem I had with it, I was expecting a bigger, badder Cromwell but got something quite different. I never really did get the hang of using the gun depression.

What’s it like to play with the new MM in place?

JocMeister #6 Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:37 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21787 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View Postjabster, on 13 December 2017 - 07:17 AM, said:

What’s it like to play with the new MM in place?

Its working really well. It can bully lower tier tanks with the HP and DPM and it works great as support in bottom tier games. You will need to be generous with the "2" key in those situations though. 148 PEN won´t get much done against T8s and 9s.

jabster #7 Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:39 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12532 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostJocMeister, on 13 December 2017 - 06:37 AM, said:

Its working really well. It can bully lower tier tanks with the HP and DPM and it works great as support in bottom tier games. You will need to be generous with the "2" key in those situations though. 148 PEN won´t get much done against T8s and 9s.

That’s what worries me playing it in the new MM. I’d end up losing credits in a lot of the games I play.

JocMeister #8 Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:51 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21787 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View Postjabster, on 13 December 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

That’s what worries me playing it in the new MM. I’d end up losing credits in a lot of the games I play.

It was pretty expensive to run. I was usually in the -10k - +10k game range with premium account and no food. I was being very generous with the "2" key though as I was grinding marks.

I didn´t see that many T9 games though but a Himmelsdorf T9 game cost me quite a bit to say the least... 

Mimos_A #9 Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:52 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22147 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L

Ridgelines ridgelines ridgelines and more ridgelines. You've got amazing gun depression, so no need to show more of your tank than necessary.

You've got great dpm, but no alpha, so never trade one for one. Always make sure that if you take a hit you can t least put in several shots yourself.

Other than that it's mostly like any medium with no armour and good dpm.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users