noobs new players guides

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

drjldd534413 #21 Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:20 AM

Private

• Player
  • 15326 battles

Ok! I'm noobs.
Dec.26. Eu1 plays 82k players. No problem. Dec 27. EU1 plays 22k players.Game crasches. Back to the garage. The tank itself. What I played. Tank did not stay in the battle. In battle 15 vs 15. No team kill. Premium account. Personal Reserves (Double XP, etc.)
Thx WG.
12:27. 2017- 11:07. No picture.

Edited by drjldd534413, 27 December 2017 - 11:21 AM.

JCTagger #22 Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:31 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14125 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostDead_in_30_seconds, on 27 December 2017 - 10:25 AM, said:

One final thought.

Do you reckon I could seriously consider changing my player name? Maybe I'm getting carried away, but I feel I'm almost ready to be known as Dead_in_45_seconds.

:teethhappy::teethhappy:

Seriously, to echo my Clanmate Cella, and young Baldrickk, excellent post, and very well thought through...

I can see myself in there all too clearly! The disparity between my recent and overall WR illustrates painfully well just how badly I sucked for probably more than a year when I started playing...

It took me a LONG time to find my way to the forums and start with collecting useful hints and tips, which is when my stats started their slow but continual increase...

Even just a handful of basic tactics and a few seconds of forethought will very swiftly elevate one above the herd of "Uninstall, NOOOOB!!!" morons; the advice my Son gave me when I first started was "Leave in-battle chat switched OFF!", and I did for a long time - until I started getting Platoon invites, in fact... As Cella says above, you still get toss-wits PMing you with abuse after the game (only last week, I was told I should get Ebola, apparently because I was playing an SPG),

but they may be safely ignored, as the sort of creature they so obviously are...

The observation made above about the difference between the community on the Fora (the English-speaking one, at least) and in-game is marked. While there are of course abusive Trolls on the Forum as well (some of whom, frankly, should know better!), on the whole I have found that a genuine request for advice meets with a LOT of helpful responses - even if they are sometimes contradictory!

As stated on other threads, the mere act of coming on here and openly saying "I'm new here, how may I not suck?" indicates a player who WILL get better, nevermind the squawking noises from the "I've just started, see my mighty Tier VIII premium tonk, I am superb and you are a NOOOB" chimps....

Baldrickk #23 Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:37 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 31940 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Morning all.

Thanks for the heads up cellaman. The Valentine was a tank I was considering, but then I saw this on Wiki.

Pros and Cons

Pros:

• Very good armour for its tier combined with a high HP pool
  • Small size, low profile along with fast gun/track traverse
  • Rapid rate of fire, reasonable accuracy, adequate penetration against tier threes
  • Only sees tier 4 battles, unlike the regular Valentine
  • Very good camo and unlike the Valentine, it retains full camo value on the move

Cons:

• Nearly useless penetration for its tier, has serious problems penning some tier 4s even with APCR
  • Only three crew members and dependence on APCR ammo make it poor for both crew training and making credits
  • Weak engine, low speed limit, sluggish reverse, crawls uphill
  • Low ammo capacity

I'd appreciate your thoughts, as it seems to be slightly at odds with your suggestion. Has it been nerf'd recently?

The other tank I was considering was the Leopard for its HP, armour and ramming abilities. Any words of wisdom you can share will, as always, be much appreciated.

One final thought.

Do you reckon I could seriously consider changing my player name? Maybe I'm getting carried away, but I feel I'm almost ready to be known as Dead_in_45_seconds.

No. No nerf to the Valentine II. 

Its nearest comparison is the B2, which has a similar but slightly better gun, but loses out on mobility and armour.

I've played both, the B2 on thus account a few times, and the Valentine II on my short lived second account. They are pretty similar.

You play both mostly with AP, but pack a decent amount of premium when needed. If you learn the weakspots of the more armoured tier IVs, you won't need much.

You also should be aiming to squash the softer enemy targets first, leaving those tougher targets to your TDs or vehicles with more pen.

Avoid Matildas and Hetzers wherever possible.

Leopard is possibly the best tier 5 light tank right now, edging out the T-50 on a couple of stats, only the T-50 has a slightly better turret placement, if that matters.

I like your current name. 45 seconds doesn't have the same ring to it.

Dead_in_30_seconds #24 Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:55 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4116 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Thanks JC, I really appreciate your kind words.

If you don't mind, I'd like to ask your advice, in fact, anyone who's knowledge I can plunder in my own desperate, needy way, concerning auto-aim/circle of death.

I get the principle of course; Find a lonely medium or heavy, show them you love them by getting up close and personal, then get all inappropriate with their rear end.

My question is this;

Does the gun stay locked on target irrespective of how fast I turn my tank, or is it restricted by turret traverse speed?

To be honest, I find this a difficult skill to master. Maybe I don't zoom out enough, thereby making it difficult to see the relative position of both tanks, or perhaps it's that my gun simply isn't on target when I think it is.

Your advice, and trust me, I'll take anyone's I'm not proud, would be greatly appreciated.

A final, off topic thought.

If i run out of ammo, should I continue shouting BANG!! at the top of my voice to try and kid them I'm fully loaded, or am I just scaring my cats for no good reason?

de6thmet6lfre6k #25 Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:55 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1320 battles

Post of Dead_in_30_seconds 26/12/17

For example, if you see a team-mate pinned to a corner, don't be afraid to talk to them. Tell them that you are going to draw the enemy fire and they should get ready to move. This is especially useful for a medium tank to hear. You are in a fast tank and stand less chance of being hit, but the enemy can't afford to let you flank them, so will normally swing his turret towards even if they don't move. This few seconds may be all it takes for your team-mate to pop out and inflict some damage.

Similarly, 2, or even 3, LT's with a heavy in their sights, will stand a much better chance of taking them out if you work together, rather than merrily attacking one at a time and blaming each other for not destroying them.

I've read about that tactic, it's called threatening. Its not really a game mechanic, more a psychological one. Like you said we are (almost) bound to be cautious and that you can exploit. if a medium is in trouble, pinned down by a heavy or more; drive a little towards the enemy, point your gun at them but don't shoot and hide again. then repeat that a couple times with different angles and if you do it right, the enemy is just following you with his turret and that gives your other teammate the chance to get out or to kill the enemies. because the enemies are distracted by your threat. they (hopefully) don't pay attention to the initial teammate. And what i've read, you can not only apply that tactic in a LT but also in a heavy. especially if you're bottom tier and the initial teammate is top tier.

Same post

In all the losses where we were heavily defeated, 15-1, 15-2, 15-4 etc, there was almost no 'team-work' of any kind. To quote my initial post "...always play as part of a team, even if no-one else seems to want to..."

Yeah i'm beginning to see a pattern too, not just the teammates but also myself. I've noticed when I played a couple games and there was no teamwork at all or the teammates were flaming the hell out of eachother (or me), my "motivation" for teamwork went down, after a couple solo/selfish games I tried again to be more cooperative or more teamplay oriented. And then it repeats itself. I'm not blaming teammates for the games when I played solo and we still lost because it was my fault to not be teamplay oriented.

So the main challenge for me in the game is not only to stay teamplay oriented but also to keep my own morale high enough that I'm still willing to play in a team instead of solo. And my extra challenge is not to be distracted. I can be easily distracted sometimes, not good at all :P

Edit:

Baldrickk

Field Marshal Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke

The tactical result of an engagement forms the base for new strategic decisions because victory or defeat in a battle changes the situation to such a degree that no human acumen is able to see beyond the first battle. In this sense one should understand Napoleon's saying: "I have never had a plan of operations."

Therefore no plan of operations extends with any certainty beyond the first contact with the main hostile force

It's cliche, but damn is it true.

By all means plan ahead, but you cannot predict every action the enemy take (or even your allies). You will need to change those plans as the situation dictates.

Thats why some if not most guides about tactics you can't really apply because it solely depends on the situation.

Dead_in_30_Seconds 27/12/17 12:55PM

A final, off topic thought.

If i run out of ammo, should I continue shouting BANG!! at the top of my voice to try and kid them I'm fully loaded, or am I just scaring my cats for no good reason?

If you run out of ammo you can still do something usefull... Threatening! Like I mentioned above. The only thing that can go wrong is if you threaten the enemy and instead they are distracted, they go yolo you, then well, you got a problem. but if you communicate that to your teammates on forehand that you run out of ammo, and that you are going to distract/threaten the enemy you can prolly get away with it.

Edited by de6thmet6lfre6k, 27 December 2017 - 01:09 PM.

Dead_in_30_seconds #26 Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:59 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4116 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Thanks Baldrikk, I can always rely on you to come up with a cunning plan.

Looking at my last posted replay, how does Dead_in_16_seconds sound?

de6thmet6lfre6k #27 Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:15 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1320 battles

View PostJCTagger, on 27 December 2017 - 11:31 AM, said:

:teethhappy::teethhappy:

Seriously, to echo my Clanmate Cella, and young Baldrickk, excellent post, and very well thought through...

I can see myself in there all too clearly! The disparity between my recent and overall WR illustrates painfully well just how badly I sucked for probably more than a year when I started playing...

It took me a LONG time to find my way to the forums and start with collecting useful hints and tips, which is when my stats started their slow but continual increase...

Even just a handful of basic tactics and a few seconds of forethought will very swiftly elevate one above the herd of "Uninstall, NOOOOB!!!" morons; the advice my Son gave me when I first started was "Leave in-battle chat switched OFF!", and I did for a long time - until I started getting Platoon invites, in fact... As Cella says above, you still get toss-wits PMing you with abuse after the game (only last week, I was told I should get Ebola, apparently because I was playing an SPG),

but they may be safely ignored, as the sort of creature they so obviously are...

The observation made above about the difference between the community on the Fora (the English-speaking one, at least) and in-game is marked. While there are of course abusive Trolls on the Forum as well (some of whom, frankly, should know better!), on the whole I have found that a genuine request for advice meets with a LOT of helpful responses - even if they are sometimes contradictory!

As stated on other threads, the mere act of coming on here and openly saying "I'm new here, how may I not suck?" indicates a player who WILL get better, nevermind the squawking noises from the "I've just started, see my mighty Tier VIII premium tonk, I am superb and you are a NOOOB" chimps....

I totally agree! because if you are willing to learn and be better, you will get better. Not in an instance, that's for sure but gradually. And it shows to other forum-users that you are willing to be better, that counts for something! At least you won't be a n00b, cuz the real n00bs aren't interested of being better at the game or teamplay for that matter. And about those punks who abuse you after battle, just blacklist them. They aren't worth it to waste your mental energy on them.

Morning all.

Thanks for the heads up cellaman. The Valentine was a tank I was considering, but then I saw this on Wiki.

Pros and Cons

Pros:

• Very good armour for its tier combined with a high HP pool
  • Small size, low profile along with fast gun/track traverse
  • Rapid rate of fire, reasonable accuracy, adequate penetration against tier threes
  • Only sees tier 4 battles, unlike the regular Valentine
  • Very good camo and unlike the Valentine, it retains full camo value on the move

Cons:

• Nearly useless penetration for its tier, has serious problems penning some tier 4s even with APCR
  • Only three crew members and dependence on APCR ammo make it poor for both crew training and making credits
  • Weak engine, low speed limit, sluggish reverse, crawls uphill
  • Low ammo capacity

I'd appreciate your thoughts, as it seems to be slightly at odds with your suggestion. Has it been nerf'd recently?

The other tank I was considering was the Leopard for its HP, armour and ramming abilities. Any words of wisdom you can share will, as always, be much appreciated.

One final thought.

It seems like every premium who has preferential MM, above decent reload, good accuracy, good cammo and low-profle are bound to have below decent penetration. Its kinda like the E25. Don't get me wrong, the E25 can be a real problem for the enemy if its in capable hands. Don't know much about the valentine or the premium version. Haven't played them both and have not come across them alot.

The thing is with abominable pen, is that you are forced to aim better, that can be done cause you have better accuracy. so you will have to aim for weakspots always. What means that you will have to learn almost every tank' weakspots you come across. (or you have the armorpen recticle. it shows when you penetrate or when it richochet or bounces before you shoot).

Edited by de6thmet6lfre6k, 27 December 2017 - 01:29 PM.

Dead_in_30_seconds #28 Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:26 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4116 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

This is probably going to ruin my street cred, and I don't want to come over all Brokeback Mountain, but I'm gonna say it anyway.

When i started this post I really didn't expect any response, let alone the encouraging and insightful help that I've been given, so i just wanted to say a massive thank you to you guys, both sexes included, no lack of correctness here.

No-one is obliged to give up their time in these forums, so the fact that you have means a hell of a lot to me. I started out thinking that the real reason I was rubbish at this game was because I'm rubbish at this game, but you have all given me the belief that, actually, I'm OK.

Thank you all, and i truly wish you all a very happy new year.

Stop it now, i'm welling up over here!!! Too much marijuana in the sage and onion stuffing I reckon.

cellaman7 #29 Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:58 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34572 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Just to clarify I am a male, hence the cellaman and not cellawoman, lol.

The Valentine II is pretty good. As Baldrikk said. Avoid Matildas and B2's with it though unless you platoon and wolfpack one.

It's not that slow. The AP rounds don't have the best of penetration which is why I load 100% premium rounds yet still make credits.

As for the auto aim. Sure if you are circling an enemy tank then auto aim works well. You can concentrate on your positioning rather than aiming and if you are alongside or behind the enemy you will usually get a good hit. Just make sure your turret is always pointed at the target obviously.

Dead_in_30_seconds #30 Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4116 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Well.... I researched the Leopard, manned it with 100% crew, filled up with some APCR ammo, mounted vents, camo and binocs, and seem to have regressed to being rubbish again. Couldn't hit the side of a house if my life depended on it! I'm surprised I'm not dead before the countdown finishes!!

Nothing I thought I knew is quite as effective any more. I guess this is the next stage in my education?

Baldrickk #31 Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:34 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 31940 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostDead_in_30_seconds, on 27 December 2017 - 09:20 PM, said:

Well.... I researched the Leopard, manned it with 100% crew, filled up with some APCR ammo, mounted vents, camo and binocs, and seem to have regressed to being rubbish again. Couldn't hit the side of a house if my life depended on it! I'm surprised I'm not dead before the countdown finishes!!

Nothing I thought I knew is quite as effective any more. I guess this is the next stage in my education?

Yeah, the higher you go, the more measured and cautious you have to be

cellaman7 #32 Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:28 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34572 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostDead_in_30_seconds, on 27 December 2017 - 08:20 PM, said:

It all comes down to one thing "Situational Awareness". When you sense danger then bail out.

50% of my games involve driving and shooting, the other 50% is looking at my mini map and deciding where the best position to be is. Depending what tank you are in of course and what tier the MM has thrown you in.

3000 games before i learnt the maps and main encounter points. 6000 games before I learnt how to use my tank effectively.

You have a long way to go but keep plugging away!

Tramp_In_Armour #33 Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:29 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 6881 battles

View PostDead_in_30_seconds, on 27 December 2017 - 09:20 PM, said:

Lights are harder to use the higher up the tiers you go, largely because you're expected to scout and you meet fewer lights and more things with armour. The first thing to learn is to get assisted damage. Find the enemy, light them up, then pull back into cover. When they disappear from the mini-map, peek out again to light them again, then pull back (very quickly). When there's less tanks left in the game, you can roam more freely and really make a difference for your team. But until you've got the hang of it, doing damage yourself will be difficult at first (at least, that's what I've found). But at tier 5, when you've got artillery and there are heavies on the map, you can do a lot for your team simply by keeping them lit.

Also, turn on spotting notifications:  Go to Settings>Battle Notifications>Battle Events and tick Spotting. Now, when your tank spots an enemy, a little message pops up in front of you. If you tick the assisted damage log, you'll also get notifications of how much damage is caused with your assistance - very useful if you're playing as a scout.

Camo net and binocs are less useful when in an agile fast scout - especially if you don't have Sixth Sense yet. Get coated optics as soon as you can, and train Camo and Situational Awareness. Also, buy (or rent for credits) camo paint. Much better for helping you stay hidden and able to spot at this level.

Dead_in_30_seconds #34 Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:39 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4116 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Thanks Tramp, I'll give it a go

I'm going to ask for your indulgence.

Playing with my new Leopard, I'm posting a selection of replays, both good and bad, to ask for some comments, feedback, tips etc.

I know some are truly awful, I've always been open about the fact that I'm not very good at WoT, but God knows I'm trying to improve :facepalm:

Many thanks in advance guys, I've kinda come to rely on your wisdom and honest views.

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4038875?secret=93c8b0e32b4f25add778b822caa008b4

siramra #35 Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25076 battles
  • [DUXTR] DUXTR

Well. Don`t look from above when u drive.....just feels weird.

U stay to long in one position while 12 enemy tanks are spotted in other positions.

Either u move up to get spots or u relocate.

U are kinda out of the game for to long.

If u had gone up to D-9 when the A-20 was dead u might have spotted more for your team....and u could have supported earlier.

But why do u use large repair and prem ammo only?

U use mucho creds for little gain.

Dead_in_30_seconds #36 Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4116 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

All good points siramra, thanks for the feedback.

It's points like 'U stay to long in one position while 12 enemy tanks are spotted in other positions' that teach newbies like me about the value in using the information in the mini-map to determine best course of action.

I'm indebted to you, many thanks.

Tramp_In_Armour #37 Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:32 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 6881 battles

View PostDead_in_30_seconds, on 28 December 2017 - 09:43 PM, said:

I'm going to ask for your indulgence.

Playing with my new Leopard, I'm posting a selection of replays, both good and bad, to ask for some comments, feedback, tips etc.

I know some are truly awful, I've always been open about the fact that I'm not very good at WoT, but God knows I'm trying to improve :facepalm:

Many thanks in advance guys, I've kinda come to rely on your wisdom and honest views.

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4038875?secret=93c8b0e32b4f25add778b822caa008b4

Looks like you fitted the optics. You've got good view range now. That's your greatest weapon here. On Erlenberg, it's important to capture the castle on your side of the river, but since two scouts went in that direction already, it's okay to have gone in the direction you did. Essentially, you're scouting for the Excelsior and TDs that came behind you. Personally, I'd have driven fast straight to the hill. It may feel risky, but if you stay on your side of the slope, the tanks behind you can cover you, provided you stay in their view. As it was, the enemy A-20 got to the top of the hill first. He is successfully scouting for his side, and potentially saw your Excelsior and TDs. Because they saw the A-20, and there were no allied tanks at the hill, they stopped, meaning the enemy won the hill.

The route you yourself took, putting yourself in a passive spotting position, doesn't help your team much. You are too far away and can only see the enemy when they crest the hill. Sitting looking for targets to shoot yourself, you are acting more like a medium here. Your team has no idea what other enemy tanks are behind the hill slopes, and are therefore blind. If you had made it to the foot of the first slope, you would have met the A-20, but your team mates would have driven it off. You could then have poked up over the crest (just to one side) to spot what else might have been there, and then pulled quickly back (hopefully without getting hit), to see if your allies come up to your position. If they had chosen to stay where they were, you would have then stayed there, since going on alone would have resulted in your death. But at least your presence might have deterred the enemy from shooting from the top at your team mates. Anyway, you chose a different position, so let's see what happened next.

Okay, you spotted the A-20 again, and your team mate destroyed him. This is the perfect spotting role. Unfortunately, from your position, you are blind, and, like your team mates, do not know what other enemies are on the hill. From here, you could have gone up the red line and attempted to poke over the next hill crest. Because you did not go to the hill at the beginning, you now face an open dash between your chosen hill and the next hill, which is a risk. You would need to rely on your speed and the covering fire of your team mates. As it is, you sit there for too long. If you had been spotted in that position, on the slope facing your enemies, you would have been in trouble as you had no cover other than a tree (an enemy scout popping over the ridge could have spotted you through that tree, and then you would have had to race back over your own hill, hoping to survive).

I see you have Sixth Sense, and you were spotted, even though you destroyed the Luchs. Looking at the mini-map, the enemy has won the castle side of the map, your team has been slaughtered, and your team has been unable to win your side of the map. There was nothing you could have done about the castle side, but you could have led your team at least to the hill on your side to strengthen your team's position. As it is, they are vulnerable and edging closer to the river. You have three choices now, and none of them are great. You could have raced back to your cap zone to try and save it. Your arty is dead, however, and the enemy has the high ground, so spotting the enemies coming down to your cap zone might not have achieved much. You likely would have been destroyed if you had gone back across the river. Your second option might have been to race up the red line and try and spot enemies behind the slope, but, by counting the red dots on the map, it seems most of the enemy are elsewhere, and none of your team would have been able to shoot what you spotted. You could have made the enemy a little nervous there if you had spotted them, but, as they are winning, they might have felt bold enough to yolo out and kill you anyway. The third option would have been to go back to the slope where you saw the A-20 and spot or help by shooting the Hetzer by the river. It appears to be using the houses for cover against your team mates, but you might have got a flank shot. Or spotted more tanks that your team mates could shoot at. Let's see what happens next.

Ah. After you were spotted, you were still in position for the T-28 to hit and immobilise you. As I said, you are in a bad position once spotted. From that angle, none of your team mates can help you.

But it appears one of them was able to shoot at the T-28, giving you some assisted damage, and you hit it, driving it back over the slope. Once your track is repaired, however, you remain in that position, rather than get the hell out. You remain there, focused on the T-28 and hoping it shows itself. Meanwhile, you have only two team mates left, still in a bad position, and a Luchs is sneaking up behind them. Since you have no hope of taking the hill now by yourself, you could have raced back and tried to intercept the Luchs to help your remaining team mates.

While you remain focused on the T-28, one of your team mates dies, leaving just one Exelsior who is being stalked by the Luchs and the T-34. Again, you don't go to help.

And then, finally, you are alone, still not in cover. Even if you are unspotted, the enemy knows where you were last seen (it's marked on the map) and you are still in that position. It's only a matter of time before they swarm you.

You shoot and destroy another Luchs, then you are spotted. Now everybody is shooting at you and you have no cover you can reach in time. You are destroyed as you try to retreat behind the slope.

Your team did very badly, and you got half of your team's kills. There probably wasn't much you could do to avoid losing the game, especially once the castle was lost. Had you made it the hill where the A-20 was first spotted, however, that might have encouraged the tanks behind you to come to the hill and perhaps, perhaps, be in a better position for a last stand, instead of stuck on the low ground by the river. They may even have pushed ahead - led by you - down towards the bottom of the map to threaten the enemy cap zone (not very likely, but it would have made your particular 'task force' more dangerous to the enemy.

I know there are some amazing players who seem to whizz around in scout tanks, and who often appear to win the battle by themselves, but that is really, really hard, and best left to the pros for now. But even though you are only a light tank, the positions you take can embolden your team to advance sometimes. It does mean taking risks in getting close to the enemy (worse if you suspect they are there but you can't see them yet) but providing you choose your routes carefully, you have the speed to get out of trouble if a gamble doesn't pay off (always make sure you have a large object, like a hill or house, to get behind). And because you have fantastic view range, peeking over a hill top for even one second can potentially light up enemies over a wide area. And when enemies see their light bulbs come on, they become cautious about advancing further, even if you don't fire a shot. Simply lurking behind an important position can effectively 'take it', and encourage team mates to come and secure it.

In Erlenberg, your team has either to win one side of the river, or the other. Lose both sides and you lose the game. This is true for many maps, by the way. It's not just about causing damage. 'Winning' key areas of the map will determine how the battle goes. As a fast tank, you have the best chance to get to those key areas (but you then have to stay alive until your team mates reach you - no heroics). Unfortunately, you also have the lightest armour. This is why scouts are hard to play. It's difficult to stay alive. But if you do, you can make a big difference, and win battles that way, even if you don't destroy a single tank.

Sorry to be so long winded. I hope that helps.

Here's a link to a battle I played today that might help illustrate some of what I said: http://wotreplays.eu...rmour-m5_stuart

It's not a great performance. I've only just started to play the M5 Stuart. With its poor gun and my getting to grips with scouting, I struggle to do well with it. But in this battle, you can see how I go looking for the enemy, so that my TDs on the other side of the swamp get targets. There's a bit of cat-and-mouse with a couple of enemy tanks (including a Valentine that I can't penetrate), but I try my best to keep respotting them while staying alive. In the end I'm destroyed by a Hetzer I didn't spot (wasn't looking at the mini-map), but I help my team to deny this area to the enemy. And fortunately, we win the game. Hopefully you can get some pointers from this (I'll never be a great scout, but you have the potential to do better, especially if you love the role).

Dead_in_30_seconds #38 Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:10 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4116 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Hey Tramp

Long-winded is good, I like long-winded, hell Lord of the Rings was long winded, and look how much money that made!

I think you have just encapsulated everything that players like me need to cross the threshold between simply playing the game, and actually starting to understand the game. The critique of every decision, and it's actual effect on the rest of the team, is superb. I freely admit, and I think you know me well enough to know that I have a realistic grasp of my inadequacies, that this level of tactical awareness still doesn't come naturally to me.

I do sometimes question whether some of my own decisions are inherently bad, or whether they worsen because of a lack of supporting moves by my heavier team-mates. Mostly it's me of course, but I do have to wonder sometimes when I see a lot of my team die at one particular choke-point

The key areas of the different maps is also something I'm putting a lot of effort into discovering. Seasoned players such as yourself will know that capturing the castle is hugely influential to the outcome on this map, but your above analysis actually gives an insight into why, something that is scarce amongst a lot of the other forum material.

What's throwing me a little is that I'm finding maps that I hadn't previously had much if any playing time on.

All in all, the time and effort you have spent explaining the 'why' has helped me enormously, and, as ever, you have my thanks and gratitude.

Just re-read my post from the beginning.

Damn but I wish I had read it when I first started playing :child:

Struggling now. Having a real hard time determining when to push and when to wait. Looked at lots of YouTube vids and I'm beginning to wonder if my tank has a big day-glow flag on it saying ' Here I am, all come and shoot me'. Seen lots of examples where LT's will hide behind a ridge, spotting like crazy, and no enemy tanks move to flank. I do it, and every enemy and his dog is on me within seconds! I keep hoping one of those Christmas crates is gonna have a Klingon cloaking device, but no luck yet.

Baldrickk #39 Posted 30 December 2017 - 05:20 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 31940 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostDead_in_30_seconds, on 29 December 2017 - 11:28 PM, said:

Struggling now. Having a real hard time determining when to push and when to wait. Looked at lots of YouTube vids and I'm beginning to wonder if my tank has a big day-glow flag on it saying ' Here I am, all come and shoot me'. Seen lots of examples where LT's will hide behind a ridge, spotting like crazy, and no enemy tanks move to flank. I do it, and every enemy and his dog is on me within seconds! I keep hoping one of those Christmas crates is gonna have a Klingon cloaking device, but no luck yet.

How are your crew skills?

Dead_in_30_seconds #40 Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4116 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Hi Balders

Commander = BIA 100%, 6th Sense 100% Recon 79%

Driver = Concealment 85%

Radio Operator = BIA 100%, Situational Awareness 100%, Concealment 85%

Loader = Concealment 85%

Also tagged with noobs, new players, guides