WW1 Christmas Truce: Silent Night - Extra History

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Community #1 Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:00 PM

Sergeant

• Content Team
  • 0 battles
Watch and learn more about this touching WWI story!

The full text of the news item

Rock_n_Rollie #2 Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13155 battles

Codes dont work (yet?) 

edit:

nvm : now they do.. apparently needed a "few" minutes :)

Edited by Rock_n_Rollie, 17 December 2017 - 05:46 PM.

Erwin_Von_Braun #3 Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:28 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 39076 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Happy Holidays?

Where I come from, we celebrate Christmas.

Edited by Erwin_Von_Braun, 17 December 2017 - 06:28 PM.

etody77 #4 Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:59 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 63826 battles
  • [PT-RO] PT-RO
It's not Christmass...yet

Anastasia100 #5 Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:50 PM

Private

• Player
  • 21931 battles
  • [EL-OD] EL-OD
We will never back to the moon :trollface:

laceleste #6 Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:37 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 41418 battles

Nice story to get into the Christmas spirit.

This also shows that mankind is at heart peaceful. There have been and are plenty of wars but there is always a staggering amount of resources put in by the rich and powerful in order to get people to fight, be it economic, social, cultural, information or rather disinformation.

Peace and Merry Christmas!

IdlePython #7 Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:44 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 403 battles

Really nice.

Brought a tear to my eyes. :great:

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Commander_Breathy #8 Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:26 PM

Private

• Player
  • 20503 battles
  • [JB] JB
TY for the gift and thx fot the good Vid... again

LandserSkin #9 Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:03 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 30124 battles
  • [ARC4N] ARC4N
This would be a great idea for a WoT Machinima video. Reenact this event with tanks.

Rock_n_Rollie #10 Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:30 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13155 battles

View Postlaceleste, on 17 December 2017 - 08:37 PM, said:

Nice story to get into the Christmas spirit.

This also shows that mankind is at heart peaceful. There have been and are plenty of wars but there is always a staggering amount of resources put in by the rich and powerful in order to get people to fight, be it economic, social, cultural, information or rather disinformation.

Peace and Merry Christmas!

Hmm ... no.

While i like the sentiment, reality is that we are an aggressive & greedy species  and warring -be it small skirmishes or full out WW- is in our genes.  NOT warring is rather a matter of convenience and common sense. When everybody is relatively settled and happy and/or not starving to death, then war would kinda disrupt the daily going-on's.

The longest "peaceful" period in known history is called Pax Romana. :)

The Romans liked peaceful trading and war was bad for business.

This is how it went:

Some exploration team ventured into foreign parts, ran into the local Celts/Huns/Barbarians/Gauls/etc and promptly sent them a negotiator....:

"Hi Chief Olaf -it is Olaf, isn't it? Ok. I am Marcus, representing the Republic.  We've been watching you and we do like these veggies you cultivate and these tools you make.  We would like to propose a trade agreement.  Everybody will be better and become richer of it.  And in the long run you too can become a Roman Citizen, under protection of Rome.  What about it?"

Olaf: "No! Go away!"

Marcus: "Ok, no problem, please think about our proposal, i'll be back next week, same time"

one week later....

Marcus: "Hi Olaf, here we are again.  We would still like to trade. Although my superiors think that the deal should be less favourable for you because of your earlier rude refusal.  But i am sure you will accept the deal. I urge you to accept the current conditions, otherwise it will become worse for you."

Olaf: "Hah! Pressure me into a trade!  You and which army?"

Marcuse (steps aside): "I see. Well, i am sure we'll talk again later. Meanwhile.... Please meet Centurion Cassius Aurelius Tarentius and.. the Legion"

And not long after the dust settled, business was booming and roads, sewers, aquaducts and villa's were build... Peace in foreign vassal states and throughout the Empire was ensured. :)

laceleste #11 Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 41418 battles

View PostRock_n_Rollie, on 18 December 2017 - 01:30 AM, said:

Hmm ... no.

While i like the sentiment, reality is that we are an aggressive & greedy species  and warring -be it small skirmishes or full out WW- is in our genes.  NOT warring is rather a matter of convenience and common sense. When everybody is relatively settled and happy and/or not starving to death, then war would kinda disrupt the daily going-on's.

The longest "peaceful" period in known history is called Pax Romana. :)

The Romans liked peaceful trading and war was bad for business.

This is how it went:

Some exploration team ventured into foreign parts, ran into the local Celts/Huns/Barbarians/Gauls/etc and promptly sent them a negotiator....:

"Hi Chief Olaf -it is Olaf, isn't it? Ok. I am Marcus, representing the Republic.  We've been watching you and we do like these veggies you cultivate and these tools you make.  We would like to propose a trade agreement.  Everybody will be better and become richer of it.  And in the long run you too can become a Roman Citizen, under protection of Rome.  What about it?"

Olaf: "No! Go away!"

Marcus: "Ok, no problem, please think about our proposal, i'll be back next week, same time"

one week later....

Marcus: "Hi Olaf, here we are again.  We would still like to trade. Although my superiors think that the deal should be less favourable for you because of your earlier rude refusal.  But i am sure you will accept the deal. I urge you to accept the current conditions, otherwise it will become worse for you."

Olaf: "Hah! Pressure me into a trade!  You and which army?"

Marcuse (steps aside): "I see. Well, i am sure we'll talk again later. Meanwhile.... Please meet Centurion Cassius Aurelius Tarentius and.. the Legion"

And not long after the dust settled, business was booming and roads, sewers, aquaducts and villa's were build... Peace in foreign vassal states and throughout the Empire was ensured. :)

What you describe is coercion of other peoples/countries/collectives/societies, it's called imperialism, which can take on different forms physically violent or not.

Still in order for the actors of your story to act in that way it required themselves to be coerces themselves first by the rich and powerful in their own society . Humongous economic, social, cultural, psychological, organizational resources among others were invested and mobilized to make individuals act that way.

You're talking about human nature, human nature doesn't need to be coerced to be expressed, it so strong that sometimes it resist even the greatest pressures just as it did a hundred years ago when not even the most brutal of violent acts could hold soldiers from being nice to each other. Uplifting stuff.

Otadv #12 Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:31 AM

Private

• Player
  • 31404 battles
  • [HOFF] HOFF

How does that code work?

Were do I fill in the code and what happens than?

anonym_kL7qtn3e52MB #13 Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:58 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 0 battles

What does this say about WG's humanity and the re-sale af the M6A2E1.

Humanity  :great:

WG's conduct  :izmena::facepalm::confused:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users