Module-Based Crew Training (just a thought)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

gav00 #1 Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:57 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7664 battles

When you unlock a fresh shiny new tank which shares some aspects of the one you just upgraded from, surely you should not need to fully retrain the whole crew?

If your new tank shares the same gun as the old one, surely the gunner and loaders already know how to use it?

Or if the vehicles share a hull, your driver should already be pretty good at driving it.

Who here would prefer a system where crew only become untrained if they are using a module they were not trained on?

And what issues would come from this kind of system?

Balc0ra #2 Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:00 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64364 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Postgav00, on 19 December 2017 - 03:57 PM, said:

And what issues would come from this kind of system?

On low tiers where most modules are shared between several tanks. It would not be the worst idea. On high tiers where most modules are on one tank only more and more vs before. Inc top guns and engines etc, and is not used on the next tank one tier up. It would just screw you over every time you got a new module, vs a new tank.

Hedgehog1963 #3 Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:06 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 50879 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY
It's lame that the driver of my Tiger I needed full retraining to drive the Tiger II, or a Tiger P driver a Ferdinand.

AliceUnchained #4 Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:09 PM

General

• Player
  • 38126 battles
  • [322] 322

Just because a gun (barrel) is the same doesn't mean it handles the same. Breach, mounting, recoil system, turret space, etc all play a role in handling (+ loading), and aiming is largely done with optics (range estimation, target speed and direction). Same for the hull or engine, there's far more to controlling/steering a vehicle than the hull (tracks, engine, suspension, gearbox, etc).

As for issues: You'd have to retrain your crew every time you change modules. Either with upgrading, or switching between viable options (some vehicles have more than one viable gun option for example). Unless of course the crew would retain their skill one the same vehicle even with different modules used. But I think it would needlessly complicate crew (re)training.

xx984 #5 Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:13 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 52971 battles
  • [GO-IN] GO-IN
This would only be useful at low tiers as stated previously, and even then, when i grind up a new line and playing low tiers i dont even bother with retraining them as it doesn't matter all that much in low tier games..

gav00 #6 Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:21 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7664 battles

Thanks for your thoughts, I was mainly thinking about low tiers, though there are examples of higher tiers.

For example, my Charioteer is exactly the same as the Challenger before it, just a different lid and gun, idk why my driver seemed so confused!

View PostAliceUnchained, on 19 December 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

Breach, mounting, recoil system, turret space, etc all play a role in handling (+ loading), and aiming is largely done with optics (range estimation, target speed and direction). 

I was under the impression that when they shoved a gun in a tank, or swapped them around, that the breech, recoil system and gearing for aiming was all kept as a part of the gun, because they've all been calibrated for each other in the gun factory?

Fully agree that turret space would be something for the crew to get used to.

Aikl #7 Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:32 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25167 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostHedgehog1963, on 19 December 2017 - 03:06 PM, said:

It's lame that the driver of my Tiger I needed full retraining to drive the Tiger II, or a Tiger P driver a Ferdinand.

Or that he forgets the 'old' tank when retrained. :P

AliceUnchained #8 Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:53 AM

General

• Player
  • 38126 battles
  • [322] 322

View Postgav00, on 19 December 2017 - 04:21 PM, said:

I was under the impression that when they shoved a gun in a tank, or swapped them around, that the breech, recoil system and gearing for aiming was all kept as a part of the gun, because they've all been calibrated for each other in the gun factory?

Fully agree that turret space would be something for the crew to get used to.

When possible, everything would be kept the same of course. But changes can be made. Sometimes simply because they're improvements, sometimes because they're necessary. Breech, recoil, mounting can differ greatly depending on the platform it is (to be) mounted on. And sights/optics really aren't manufactured in the gun factory, nor is gun alignment done there. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe even the gun barrels, mounts, and breaches were made in different locations (feel free to correct me on this, anyone).

TigerMoth #9 Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:10 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 39504 battles

View PostAikl, on 19 December 2017 - 03:32 PM, said:

Or that he forgets the 'old' tank when retrained. :P

This is the biggest problem. Once a crew has been trained on a tank they should always be able to return to it without the need for retraining.

Unangwata #10 Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:13 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 8319 battles

View PostTigerMoth, on 20 December 2017 - 11:10 AM, said:

This is the biggest problem. Once a crew has been trained on a tank they should always be able to return to it without the need for retraining.

Yeah thats most stupid thing about crew I found out. I teach them to drive new tank and they forget how to ride old tank... wtf ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users