Am I doing it wrong? Or spotting is broken?

Spotter

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

DuskGuard #1 Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:51 PM

Private

• Player
  • 16910 battles
  • [R-AM] R-AM

Hy!

Usually I rage myself out and acknowledge that Im a noob. But this is just stupid.

So, trying to do the 1500 spot damage without seen mission. I have 3 problems.

1. Mostly I get Close combat maps. No real chance for some longe range passive spotting.

2. If I do get one, and get into position, I cant spot a damn tank.

3. Usually a TD spots me, or in some cases a heavy tank. Even before I get into position. And they start sending me "back to the garage letters". Even then I cant damn spot them. 

So, what am I doing wrong in this case? Someone else has the same problem? Or it is just my karma?

Strappster #2 Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:59 PM

General

• Player
  • 23577 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

You're being out-spotted, most likely by an enemy light who's doing the same thing you are. Those missions can be a pain, you might get a run of city maps where it's nearly impossible to get any spotting - don't worry about the mission then, focus on doing what you can to help your team win, usually by looking for gaps to exploit to give the enemy something else to worry about.

Use optics or binocs, depending on the tank and your preferred light playstyle - active (driving around in circles peeking over ridges to spot) or passive (sitting in a bush). There's no point sitting in a bush that doesn't cover some area that the enemy will have to go through. Part of the challenge of playing a light is to counter-spot the opposing lights - when you're lighting them up before they see you, you're doing it right.

I sometimes use both optics and binocs on a light for spotting missions; the bonuses don't stack but it gives me the choice to play active or passive depending on the map and how the team spreads out from spawn. Others prefer a more damage-focused build - choose what suits you and play to the limitations. For instance, you might fit optics, rammer and vents on a mid-tier light. That's an active build and you're not going to exceed the vision cap so you need to work with what you've got.

There's plenty of information available on how this all works. Watch a few streams, do some youtube research and you'll soon pick it up.

Mimos_A #3 Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:01 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21286 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L

Impossible to say without seeing some replays.

Since the arty changes it's a bit harder to rack up the crazy spotting games on some maps, in the old days you just needed one arty to click on a poor bastard to get a 1000 spotting easy, now you really need to be spotting more for td's and other tanks with direct line of sight. Which makes just randomly lighting up tanks less valuable, you need to figure out where there's enemies hiding and make sure your teammates have a line of sight. It's all well and good to just keep guys spotted, but if there's no one in a position to shoot them (or they're well positioned to not get shot), there's no real point beyond intel about what the enemy is up to. So you need to keep an eye on not only your position and what you're spotting, but also on the positions of your team and know what they can and can't hit from there.

Still, 1500 shouldn't be hard on most maps in a higher tier light, though I'd say nowadays active spotting is more valuable than passive spotting on most maps. Just upload some replays on wotreplays.eu and people can have a look and tell you what to improve :)

EDIT: here's two replays of mine from last patch with over 3k assist damage. I didn't look back to see how much of that was tracking and how much was spotting, but they might help you.

http://wotreplays.eu...-ch_tillon_12_t

http://wotreplays.eu...mos_a-amx_13_90

Edited by Mimos_A, 19 December 2017 - 07:09 PM.

K_A #4 Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:05 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13566 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Passive spotting is very 2014. Mount optics and go active, that's the way to get proper good lt games nowadays. And of course you'll have to have that 1/100 map and matchup that will allow you to do it.

pecopad #5 Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21368 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

Learn the passive spots in the maps, youtube should help, or go watch replays with high [edited]. damage

There ate not that many,spots unfortunately.

Rule off thumb I use is to never try to aggressive passive spoting outside the  known bushes. 

Bad news is that active spotting is way harder to get...better to spot steal...

Edited by pecopad, 19 December 2017 - 07:07 PM.

pecopad #6 Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21368 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

View PostK_A, on 19 December 2017 - 07:05 PM, said:

Passive spotting is very 2014. Mount optics and go active, that's the way to get proper good lt games nowadays. And of course you'll have to have that 1/100 map and matchup that will allow you to do it.

The way assisted damage mechanics work, makes is almost impossible for noobs (like me).Usually you spot them, get spoted, hide, and then some other tank gets the damage.

Spot stealing is the way to go now,where you take advantage of the noobs (like me) by doing the inverse.... :-)

Edited by pecopad, 19 December 2017 - 07:10 PM.

Mimos_A #7 Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:13 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21286 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L

View Postpecopad, on 19 December 2017 - 07:09 PM, said:

The way assisted damage mechanics work, makes is almost impossible for noobs (like me).Usually you spot them, get spoted, hide, and then some other tank gets the damage.

Spot stealing is the way to go now,where you take advantage of the noobs (like me) by doing the inverse.... :-)

wtf are you talking about? If you're the one spotting the tank and someone who's not spotting it shoots it, you get the assist damage. If there's multiple tanks spotting the same target for someone who's not spotting it, they share the assist damage. If you're spotting a target but the tanks shooting it are spotting it themselves, you get nothing. It's pretty simple and basic to be honest. There's no such thing as "spot stealing".

Edited by Mimos_A, 19 December 2017 - 07:14 PM.

DuskGuard #8 Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:19 PM

Private

• Player
  • 16910 battles
  • [R-AM] R-AM

Well, just managed to do it. By sheer luck.

Actually Im a casual player. And I have experience with light tanks. So not a total noob with it. Just not the best. Altough thanks for the answers. It did help calm me down.

Another question. Is it possible that when I mark a target for fire support. That increases my the chances to spot me? 

Happened the third time. Or its just a coincidence?

Edited by DuskGuard, 19 December 2017 - 07:21 PM.

Moulie #9 Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10371 battles
  • [W__F] W__F

I gave up on the LT15 for the stug after one particularly painful game many many months ago.

Was in my Bulldog on Steppes, fully kitted to scout, and my mate was in his Russian TD sans any optics. So i get to a great spot behind one of the termite mound things half way across the map, so much closer to the enemy than any of my team, my binos pop and enemy tanks start showing up and getting hammered by my friendlies. I eventually die, as per when i try to get too ambitious scouting and a little while later, having got no closer than 400m to an enemy all game my mate gets spotted by a scout and arty sends him a one hit love letter.

Back in the garage i discover he did 3.5k spotting/assistance (he swears blind he did not track anyone) and i did zero.

Strappster #10 Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:04 PM

General

• Player
  • 23577 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostDuskGuard, on 19 December 2017 - 06:19 PM, said:

Another question. Is it possible that when I mark a target for fire support. That increases my the chances to spot me? 

Coincidence. I mark targets all the time and my own bloody team don't seem to notice, never mind the enemy. :sceptic:

cragarion #11 Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:13 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 41791 battles

View PostDuskGuard, on 19 December 2017 - 06:51 PM, said:

Hy!

Usually I rage myself out and acknowledge that Im a noob. But this is just stupid.

So, trying to do the 1500 spot damage without seen mission. I have 3 problems.

1. Mostly I get Close combat maps. No real chance for some longe range passive spotting.

2. If I do get one, and get into position, I cant spot a damn tank.

3. Usually a TD spots me, or in some cases a heavy tank. Even before I get into position. And they start sending me "back to the garage letters". Even then I cant damn spot them. 

So, what am I doing wrong in this case? Someone else has the same problem? Or it is just my karma?

When you spot them do you call for fire on them ?,

when on spotting missions equip camo net, ventilation and binoculars, also helps if your crew is fully trained in camo, and paint your tank that also helps,

it can a a lot to your camo value and view range.

bitslice #12 Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:13 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21680 battles

Ah you'd done it,

I was going to suggest getting better light tanks, something like the LTTB makes LT15 a doodle, and I've come close in a leopard.

remember your approach to a bush is important, keep the bush between you and where you'd expect the nearest tank to be.

bitslice #13 Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21680 battles

View PostMoulie, on 19 December 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

Back in the garage i discover he did 3.5k spotting/assistance (he swears blind he did not track anyone) and i did zero.

I had that on Highway, spotted almost the entire team (as they all drove right past me),

but my tomato team mates barely fired on any of them.

Aikl #14 Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:17 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25141 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostDuskGuard, on 19 December 2017 - 06:19 PM, said:

(...)

No. Most likely it's just confirmation bias, but I can imagine that you mark targets that move - which means they might come into view of your tank (well, specifically one of the spot system 'checkpoints;) if not the whole thing is covered by a bush.

Getting spotted a lot is not uncommon on higher tiers anyway. Light tank camo values have been largely unchanged, while people keep getting better crews and even new heavy tanks get 400m viewrange.

Not that I'd fancy maps being completely locked down by passive-scouting light tanks or TDs either. Binos and camo net make up the rotten pillar of 'passive gameplay', where you're awarded for "cleverly" sitting in a bush - and to top it off they are demountable.

Would be fine if they were somewhat limited in effect, but they're definitely not. Nothing's equivalent to a camo net; not even the camo skill. The boost to stationary camo is one thing, but it also gives a (relatively) much more effective boost to shooting camo. Binos turn even your fresh-crewed T6 TD into a passive spotter that far eclipses even higher-tier light tanks without it.
Standing still for the equipment to activate is a harsh price to pay for offensively minded players, but far less so for someone with a more, ahem, relaxed playstyle. Those are evidently important for WoT, judging by the frequent use of 'hill with soft and hard cover' to camp on, often combined with two portions of dead man's landTM and no actual way of approaching it without getting nuked. Well, you can 'dodge shells' in a light tank, 

God knows the game would be more interesting for everyone if you actually needed to move, commit and risk your behind to do something, but WoT is in some ways the 'sniper' class taken to new, risk-free heights.

Also tagged with Spotter

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users