How does enemy artillery always kill me?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Lifehatepwn #1 Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:49 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5862 battles
Hello, recently i got back to playing WoT again and this week i played approx 50 games in nearly 20 of them i got killed by the enemy artillery, i have both camouflage and camouflage net and 6th sence on my M40/M43 and i never stay at the spawn point yet after a few shots i always get killed from the enemy arty. In some games when im not the only arty on my team, there are for example 2 more and yet only i get killed. I know that some of the more experienced arty players watch for where the enemy arty`s shot is comming from but i always die mid-game and its always me that gets killed, is the M40/M43`s shots easier to see or am i doing something wrong?

Edited by Lifehatepwn, 21 December 2017 - 01:52 PM.

mvdt #2 Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:04 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 40852 battles
  • [-BOMB] -BOMB

View PostLifehatepwn, on 21 December 2017 - 12:49 PM, said:

Hello, recently i got back to playing WoT again and this week i played approx 50 games in nearly 20 of them i got killed by the enemy artillery, i have both camouflage and camouflage net and 6th sence on my M40/M43 and i never stay at the spawn point yet after a few shots i always get killed from the enemy arty. In some games when im not the only arty on my team, there are for example 2 more and yet only i get killed. I know that some of the more experienced arty players watch for where the enemy arty`s shot is comming from but i always die mid-game and its always me that gets killed, is the M40/M43`s shots easier to see or am i doing something wrong?

You should relocate after you fire. Every shot leaves a tracer, which can be seen by enemy arty.

HeidenSieker #3 Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:07 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostLifehatepwn, on 21 December 2017 - 01:49 PM, said:

You could upload a replay or two to wotreplays.com, and get some advice (and a lot of guff which you can ignore). It's quite easy...

Edited by HeidenSieker, 21 December 2017 - 02:08 PM.

Brodie_ #4 Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:30 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 84095 battles

Yep! It is like the 2nd answer says!

You are very likely going to a very obvious artilery spot where an experienced arty player will look for your tracer.

When zoomed in the right amount. If an enemy arty is looking at your position when you fire!

He will not see you directly.

But he will see a very fast moving line as you fire! (That's your tracer)

He can guess your position very accurately this way.

Next time you are on Cliff.

Look at the place where you normally go on the other side of the map!

You need to zoom in a little bit.

But when you see it...     :facepalm:

At higher tiers you will not survive long sitting in the obvious bushes!

ArgentHellion #5 Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:24 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8645 battles

Countering is something that comes with the job, and the sooner you learn

to handle it the better off you will be... and what I'm about to tell you is

pretty much common knowledge in the artillery ranks.

First and foremost, you need to relocate after you fire, especially within the

first five minutes of the game, because that's when most of the countering

takes part. After that time has elapsed, most players tend to focus on

visible targets. You don't have to go too far, just far enough to avoid the

splash, especially with the M40/m43 which is an open-hatch artillery and

is therefore more susceptible to being one-shotted than closed-hatch ones.

Also, when the game goes on for a while and when there are less targets

to shoot at, some artillery players tend to return to attempting to counter

the enemy artillery. At other times, and this is quite a rare instance, you

will be matched up against players who do NOTHING BUT ATTEMPT TO
COUNTER, and this pretty much always occurs when there are three

artillery pieces per team.

The last piece of advice I can give you is how to locate the tracers. First

you need to learn the usual spots where artillery tends to stay, then you

zoom out over those spots as far as you can in your artillery view and

hit V. This clears up your screen and allows you to see the tracers as

the enemy artillery fires. Since the tracers are basically white, they are

easiest to spot on grassy maps, and toughest to spot on snowy maps.

Darth_Clicker #6 Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:05 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 58906 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

As has been mentioned above, make sure you move each time you fire.  Remember that when you, or your enemy arty, sees the tracer, the beginning of the tracer is the breech of the gun, or basically the middle of the arty, not the tip of the gun barrel.  So, make sure you move enough to get as far outside the splash radius of the enemy arty as possible.  Also make sure that you position yourself in a way that you will not knock over trees etc when you move.  And, dont knock over trees, fences etc when you are moving into your starting position.  I look for these signs.  As I am moving to my starting position, I often watch where I think you will go while I am moving.  For example on Mines, arty sometime sits at the location indicated on the map section below.  There is a small fence that large artys have to destroy to get behind that rock.  If that fence is broken, I know you are there...if it isnt broken I assume you arent there.  It is possible with some artys to get there without destroying the fence, but not with the largest ones. 

So, be careful on your way to your spot.  Don't give people like me a giant sign announcing your location.  If you knock over a tree etc, then either move to somewhere else, or knock over all trees in the area.  And don't simply move forwards and backwards after shooting.  That is a pattern and I watch for patterns and anticipate your movements when I shoot.  Move forward and to the left, then to the right, then back and to the left then forward to the right, and maybe even not move at all.  You have to be random.  Sometimes, I will watch your tracers for two or three cycles before I shoot.  I want to make my shot count.

ArgentHellion #7 Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:42 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8645 battles

View PostDarth_Clicker, on 11 January 2018 - 10:05 AM, said:

You have to be random.  Sometimes, I will watch your tracers for two or three cycles before I shoot.  I want to make my shot count.

This is exactly why Bishops and FV304s are the easiest one to counter, especially

on corridor maps. Most people playing them hunker down on a spot intersecting the

range of the largest corridors, so they can pepper multiple spots without moving, and

believe me they don't move from that spot until the enemy forces them to, or they get

countered. I love my Bert and that's an extra reason for me to hunt down those who

shame it in such a cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap way... mwhahahahahaha.....

PhooBar #8 Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:20 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 20140 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Heatmaps show the paths and camping spots where most people tend to go.

http://www.vbaddict.net/heatmaps/

Pick a map, select SPG's and look for the biggest color spot. 
Stay away from those places!
When you're in a match, ocassionally zoom in and watch those spots during your reload. 
If you see a tracer, aim just a little behind the point that they appear.

I used to keep a 2nd screen loaded with the heatmap for whatever match I was in.  Most computers can handle two screens without slowing you down.

After a while, you will remember where to look and won't need the 2nd screen.

Enjoy!

HeidenSieker #9 Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:35 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostPhooBar, on 08 March 2018 - 03:20 PM, said:

Heatmaps show the paths and camping spots where most people tend to go.

http://www.vbaddict.net/heatmaps/

Pick a map, select SPG's and look for the biggest color spot. 
Stay away from those places!

The trouble is that these places are often good or the best areas for most SPGs. If you go elsewhere, it can be hard to get shots on. Moving after shooting is key.

Another issue with "heatmaps" is that for short-range SPGs (Bishop, FV304, some others) heatmaps and other "where to go" maps are generally useless; if one plays these SPGs from "arty spots", then most of the battle is likely to be out of range.

Bordhaw #10 Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:50 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13839 battles

Tests on being able to see gun tracer in the new 1.0 patch.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users