• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Maaaaaad #1 Posted 21 December 2017 - 10:25 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 59484 battles
  • [A3] A3

The new historical game mode

Historical battle games will only be unlocked when a player has at least one tier 10 tank researched from any nation.

First version will be between American, Russian, German, French and British campaigns of historical tank battles

Each nation has it's own set of special premium tanks  (that can only be bought as a set) Each set will be priced at 12,000,000 Credits or 12k Gold  and cover a range of historical tanks and being all you need to complete that nations mission sets.

Each set of tanks can be sold or retained as a collection and used in future mission sets or historical events . Tank sets sold sell for half value gold or credits.

Owning a particular set of nations tanks entitles you to enter historical battles and events for that nation.

Battles will be played on maps with choices near to historical as possible. The grand battle format will also be included for 15 v 15 and 30 v 30 historical battles. 

. The new game mode will be a new way to obtain reward tanks and camo designs.

. Unique platoon mode - being able to join the historical games as an individual player or in a platoon with up to 15/30 players depending on game mode. Platoons can be made up of any number of players, it's your choice.

Clans can join games using this unique platoon mode of up to 30 players at once (and have an advantage over random teams)  

Individual players that are not in clans or are in small / less active clans can join in smaller platoons.

The reward tanks and camo designs will be awarded on an individual basis and an individual player can track their progress in their own Historical mission sets chart

Missions and progress charts will be set out in the same way as the current campaigns leading up to the obj260.

Reward tanks will correspond to the mission sets of each nation so the Russian set would lead to the obj907 and the American to the M60.

Historical tanks

. Can only be used in historical battles but they have a unique non transferable crew.

The crew will be set at 5 skills on purchase, each skill of your choosing from those available (everyone playing historical battles will have the same 5 crew skills which do not increase with games played as they are set when bought).

. Each historical tank will have 3 parts of equipment free of your choice and full camo sets for each season free and of your choice.( this is to keep costs down for playing this mode and means the nations tank set can be larger to cover all the historical battles in the campaign without costing you any extra credits)

. They will make credits and free experience like any normal premium tank and appear in the stats with the same 3rd, 2nd, 1st and Ace marks but rings as marks of excellence are not available.

. Each tank will have historical gun and modules. They will have no researchable parts like normal premiums and use the same ammo sets as other game versions including premium ammo.

Each set of tanks from each nation will include all tanks needed to complete all the missions for that nations campaign.

The games

Will be played with a set format of tanks in each historical battle/ ( such as ) a German tank 15 player historical 1944 D day tank team having >     1 tiger mk1 / 8 pz4 / 4Stug 111G / 1 grille / 1 Luchs 

The games will be set in historical battle scenarios with supporting videos showing the details of each battle in the campaign.

. Each nations battle campaign will cover that nations historical battles from WW2 from 1939 ending in 1945 Berlin ( the French set of tanks would include a (Free French)Cromwell /Sherman etc for their post 1939 battles ).

.​*important The choice of tank that you use in each battle will automatically be chosen by the MM to reduce waiting times ( this was a problem with the original version of historic battles.)

Your progress through the missions is accumulative upon winning games and destroying enemies so your automatic tank choice in each game played is only important in terms of team play rather than personal progress in the missions. Winning a game will be just as important as getting a high destruction count. 

Team play is rewarded.

Why I believe it will work

>  It will be an exciting new way of playing world of tanks.

>  A chance to play out battles like siege mode in 'Stalingrad ', the battle of France in 1940 ', ' the Normandy beach front in 1944' or 'El Alamein's' various battles fought on large desert maps

>  The games will be played out using equal tanks with equal crews so individual player skills and team tactics will be paramount to the players success.

>  Clan players will have the benefit of their clan mates to help them obtain the rewards faster and can join games and progress when it suits them.

>  Non Clan players will have a chance to win themselves reward tanks.( even though it will be more difficult for an individual it is now possible for someone outside a large clan to obtain the reward tanks )

>  The rewards on offer will bring the player numbers

>  The fact you have to reach at least one tier ten tank to get access to the mode will exclude the very new players.

> The equal crew and equipment means a fair fight.

Having tank types for each battle set automatically by MM beforehand means no long waiting times or players all wanting a particular tank

>  The games will still produce free experience and credits to be used in other game modes and the tank sets can be sold at any time if a player wishes.

Edited by Maaaaaad, 22 December 2017 - 02:25 AM.

SuedKAT #2 Posted 21 December 2017 - 10:39 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

A while back in some thread I suggested that since the main reason this mode failed in the past was due to no one wanting to play the "weak" tanks/side it would make sense if you look at how WoWs handles stuff like this, they let you fight vs bots. Sure there are a bit more to a bot in WoT than in WoWs, at least if you want to make it semi competent, but AW managed quite decently, sure they left a lot of room for improvements, but considering I got killed by bots driving tanks in the first Battlefield, and by bots driving "tankish" things in Battlezone back in the 90's it's doable. 

I never had the opportunity to try this mode my self, but I would like to try it out since historical tanks have always been a major interest of mine and with your suggestion above and perhaps my bots I can see it as a quite enjoyable mode to play once in a while.

Spurtung #3 Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:00 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 65946 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostSuedKAT, on 21 December 2017 - 11:39 PM, said:

A while back in some thread I suggested that since the main reason this mode failed in the past was due to no one wanting to play the "weak" tanks/side it would make sense if you look at how WoWs handles stuff like this, they let you fight vs bots. Sure there are a bit more to a bot in WoT than in WoWs, at least if you want to make it semi competent, but AW managed quite decently, sure they left a lot of room for improvements, but considering I got killed by bots driving tanks in the first Battlefield, and by bots driving "tankish" things in Battlezone back in the 90's it's doable. 

I never had the opportunity to try this mode my self, but I would like to try it out since historical tanks have always been a major interest of mine and with your suggestion above and perhaps my bots I can see it as a quite enjoyable mode to play once in a while.

People got killed by bots during the Halloween event, and those did the same thing over and over again.

SuedKAT #4 Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:08 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSpurtung, on 21 December 2017 - 11:00 PM, said:

People got killed by bots during the Halloween event, and those did the same thing over and over again.

True, valid point :)

But I would expect something a bit more "refined/polished" if it were bots that should simulate an somewhat historical battle.

Maaaaaad #5 Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:26 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 59484 battles
  • [A3] A3

Imagine a grand battle with twenty Pz IV'S plus a few tigers with some Stug's backing them up facing against Kv1's and IS's with twenty T34's in rows attacking from the south. 

All players with equal tanks, crews and equipment,

Clan teams and random platoons all fighting together

equal equipment in historic battlegrounds using historic tanks especially balanced for the mission campaigns.

Rewards of unique tanks and camo designs.

It would be maximum fun with excellent rewards.

znapper74 #6 Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:33 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10681 battles

No.

If you are going to do it, you better to it right.

Make Kursk.

8000 tanks on one huge map.

All t34's against the leftovers of whatever the German army possessed at the time and let it be as one-sided as it actually was in reality.

One sided is nothing new.

The tanks already exist.

All they need is a huge, flat map in a snowy landscape.

And why only tier 10?

NitroDeluxe #7 Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:57 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 29394 battles
A new historical mode needs new maps.  It pointless playing on the same old tired maps.  Then the mode needs unique rewards, and they need to be implemented from the start.  I liked the idea of Historical battles, it had lots of potential, but it was a proper half-arsed attempt by WG.  I doubt they would put the resources in to making it again.

Enforcer1975 #8 Posted 22 December 2017 - 02:45 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20973 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG
First they need to make sure all players know that the tanks will be in their HISTORICAL SETUP.
Then they need to balance it in a way that not everyone chooses the most op tank of that tier when they participate. f.e. tons of Matildas or tons of Hellcat vs Tiger I and II.
The only thing i hope is that only players who know their assistance from their elbow participate. Today was so aweful it's like everybody was doing their best to play bad...everything was turned around. LTs brawling with HTs or redline camping HTs or MTs and HTs switching roles...Lemmingtrains that don't meet because they go the same direction cw or ccw and nobody turning around despite having enemy location's on the minimap...

znapper74 #9 Posted 22 December 2017 - 03:06 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10681 battles

View PostEnforcer1975, on 22 December 2017 - 02:45 AM, said:

Today was so aweful it's like everybody was doing their best to play bad...everything was turned around. LTs brawling with HTs or redline camping HTs or MTs and HTs switching roles...Lemmingtrains that don't meet because they go the same direction cw or ccw and nobody turning around despite having enemy location's on the minimap...

It's the holidays, all the 10-year old little Rommel-wannabe's are coming out to play :D

Maaaaaad #10 Posted 22 December 2017 - 04:29 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 59484 battles
  • [A3] A3

For the players who already have current reward tanks,

- they can chose another tank from the nations selection upon completion. Each nation will have a new reward tank other than ones already in the game meaning at the start of the historical mode four new reward tanks will be available. So even if a player already has all the current reward tanks currently in the game there will an an incentive for them to participate in the new historical battles. 

Once you complete a nations historical missions once you get your choice of reward tank, a current one or the new one if you already have the current one.

For a second completion of the nations missions the tank reward will be the next tank in the series of the ones available for that nation.

The reward tanks could be stepped. So a current reward tank would be available on the first completion unless already owned. The second completion would unlock a new tank to the game unless you already had the first and so on. This would continue within the mode as new rewards and camo designs are released giving a reason to retain the special historical tanks. It would also give an advantage to current owners of reward tanks from clan wars

It would be a less formal environment than the current clan wars system for obtaining reward tanks. Clan players could complete the missions alone or with the help of clan members when the time was right for them rather than in the current arranged time games that many people cannot manage.

The commitment you make is of an amount and at a time of your choosing.

BonjiOrongji #11 Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 41782 battles
  • [RMBLE] RMBLE

View Postznapper74, on 22 December 2017 - 01:33 AM, said:

No.

If you are going to do it, you better to it right.

Make Kursk.

8000 tanks on one huge map.

All t34's against the leftovers of whatever the German army possessed at the time and let it be as one-sided as it actually was in reality.

One sided is nothing new.

The tanks already exist.

All they need is a huge, flat map in a snowy landscape.

And why only tier 10?

the battle of kursk is a perfect example why anything "historic" would fail in the end  ... the germans pushed into a gigantic and well planned trap, still managing to get out with way less cassulties but in the end its a succes for the soviets ...

so who wants to play the cannonfodder that made the soviet victory possible ?

Edited by BonjiOrongji, 22 December 2017 - 07:46 AM.

Frostilicus #12 Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:01 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Clan Diplomat
  • 22479 battles
  • [-ZNO-] -ZNO-

View PostBonjiOrongji, on 22 December 2017 - 05:57 AM, said:

the battle of kursk is a perfect example why anything "historic" would fail in the end  ... the germans pushed into a gigantic and well planned trap, still managing to get out with way less cassulties but in the end its a succes for the soviets ...

so who wants to play the cannonfodder that makes the soviet victory possible ?

Plus, you'd have things like ferdinands/elefants available for a kursk setup, but without the counters that stopped them, engine/transmission breakdowns and lack of defence from infantry, so naturally everyone would want to play one....

Love the idea about historical battles being a PVE mode though, I'd love to see World of Warships style cooperative battles in WoT - even if it had 10% of the xp of PvP mode, I'd do it :)

Edited by Frostilicus, 22 December 2017 - 07:02 AM.

Bigtime_Alarm #13 Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:28 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 18247 battles
What about airstrikes?  The allies facing Tigers in Shermans sometimes had the option of staying away and calling up P47s or Typhoons to take them out. the other way around in France in 1939 when the Luftwaffe had air superiority etc. 

Maaaaaad #14 Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:47 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 59484 battles
  • [A3] A3

View PostBonjiOrongji, on 22 December 2017 - 05:57 AM, said:

so who wants to play the cannonfodder that made the soviet victory possible ?

I understand what you are saying, but the mode I suggest would be historical in the types of tanks available and the settings. I was not thinking WG should try and recreate complete battle set-ups from the actual battles.

Just 15v 15 or 30v 30 tanks of the type that were actually used against each other in particular battles. It would not be an attempt to recreate history.

I could see the Stalingrad map used as an encounter battle which would cover mission sets for the German and Russian campaigns. The German mission to defend and the Russian mission to capture for the later missions and the German's attacking with the Russian's defending in the first missions just as how history played out.

Perhaps there could be several levels that you have to win each getting more difficult to complete that mission set. The last set being a less well equipped side that has to overcome the stronger opposition to complete the mission set. It would be hard to do but great fun and clans could use their experience of playing together to join in as a large platoon and win against the odds in a one sided battle to complete the missions.

It could be epic.

So is anyone else interested in a battle mode that could have 25 T34's v 25 Pz4 's with a few other odd tanks thrown in for a giant historical grand battle? 

Equal crews, equipment , guns and modules.... a straight melee fight .

Wouldn't that be a fun change from random battles?

Karasu_Hidesuke #15 Posted 24 December 2017 - 03:33 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 16170 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L

View PostMaaaaaad, on 24 December 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

So is anyone else interested in a battle mode that could have 25 T34's v 25 Pz4 's with a few other odd tanks thrown in for a giant historical grand battle? 

Equal crews, equipment , guns and modules.... a straight melee fight .

Wouldn't that be a fun change from random battles?

Yes. :great:

Homer_J #16 Posted 24 December 2017 - 03:43 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 29674 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

It will fail due to a lack of players because you set the entry bar too high.  Anyone who stuck around long enough to get a tier X and 12 million spare credits probably enjoys the game as it is.  You should be pitching it at people who don't enjoy random battles.  They might spend the 40 Euros on what is pretty much a different game played out using the same engine.

Also, why bother with skills and equipment, we know what everyone will use, just set the tanks up as if they have those already.

I'll pass.

Karasu_Hidesuke #17 Posted 24 December 2017 - 04:27 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 16170 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L

View PostHomer_J, on 24 December 2017 - 02:43 PM, said:

It will fail due to a lack of players because you set the entry bar too high.  Anyone who stuck around long enough to get a tier X and 12 million spare credits probably enjoys the game as it is.  You should be pitching it at people who don't enjoy random battles.  They might spend the 40 Euros on what is pretty much a different game played out using the same engine.

Also, why bother with skills and equipment, we know what everyone will use, just set the tanks up as if they have those already.

I'll pass.

Incredible as it may sound, I would welcome a battle mode that's entirely based on player skills and the tank. No bonuses from crew, equipment, consumables or anything. Just the player and each tank with their own stats.

Maaaaaad #18 Posted 25 December 2017 - 03:45 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 59484 battles
  • [A3] A3

View PostHomer_J, on 24 December 2017 - 02:43 PM, said:

I'll pass.

The entry bar will be far easier to achieve than that of Clan Wars and much simpler to access and enjoy at a time of your choosing than Clan Wars. Both 'would' have plenty of players  because of the rewards on offer just like the campaigns for the obj260 have everyone playing them.

The historical game mode would be another way of obtaining reward tanks and seeing as you don't have to be in a clan to play it and the system for achieving a reward is for the individual player and not the only via a clan then it should attract plenty of players. It is a much more open game mode and not limited to clans only so why do you think people wouldn't play it for the same reward tanks? 

The skills and equipment part I agree on 'in part'. Yes everyone would likely choose the same things given a choice, but why not let people have a choice ?  

The thought of a large battle with dozens of equal t34 and pz4 tanks sounds like a fun alternative game mode to achieve reward tanks to me. I think it would compliment the standard game mode in the same way the current campaigns for the obj260 do. 

Karasu_Hidesuke #19 Posted 25 December 2017 - 08:06 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 16170 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L
Also, you could actually model the bigger maps after some real historical battle locations.

Bordhaw #20 Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:33 PM

Major

• Player
  • 11978 battles

View PostBrowarszky, on 24 December 2017 - 03:27 PM, said:

Incredible as it may sound, I would welcome a battle mode that's entirely based on player skills and the tank. No bonuses from crew, equipment, consumables or anything. Just the player and each tank with their own stats.

I'd rather see that than historical battles tbh.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users