Seeking Advice - Best Soviet Premium Tier VIII Heavy Tank

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Cown #1 Posted 22 December 2017 - 04:44 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 8262 battles

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on what's considered the best Soviet premium tier VIII heavy tank as of this patch.

After reading up about the IS-6 I decided that Id probably regret wasting money on it.

The Defender seems to have a good reputation and would suit my plan of training my 4 man crew as well as earning credits.

Am I best waiting for this to become available (hopefully this x-mas) or has anyone else got any other suggestions?

Thanks!

rimedid #2 Posted 22 December 2017 - 04:46 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21500 battles
  • [MKNZ] MKNZ

doubt that defender will be on sale anytime soon.

Tomorrow IS-2 will be in advent calender you can consider that.

Otherwise, wait wait wait..

cragarion #3 Posted 22 December 2017 - 04:51 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 44073 battles
Is3 as you can no longer get the defender.

etody77 #4 Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:06 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 62862 battles
  • [PT-RO] PT-RO
defender

Uebergewicht #5 Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles

Easily the Defender. The IS-6 gets screwed over by its lousy penetration and the new matchmaking, as does the KV-5 (though that one at least seems somewhat fun to drive). The IS-5 is a reward tank only, and the IS-3A has a completely horrible gun - worse than the Defender´s - and nothing else to make up for it.

Given that the Defender is somewhat unobtainable du to being broken OP, your best bet might actually be the tier 7 IS-2 Berlin - that tank is available occasionally, has decent mobility, some armor and a big boomstick. Though I have to admit that I am much less fond of the IS-2 than I was in the past due to its really derpy gun handling - derpy guns make it hard to be valuable support as bottom tier, and you´ll be bottom tier quite often these days.

Cown #6 Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:28 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 8262 battles

Yeah, I figured the Defender been the "best" but hardest to obtain (unfortunately). Such a shame about the IS-6. Hopefully WG might give it some love one of these days.

Unless I'm lucky getting a heavy, what do you guys think about the T-54 First Prototype? I'm fairly used to playing medium tanks i.e. the Type 59, T-54 and recently the Obj. 140.

Edited by Cown, 22 December 2017 - 05:30 PM.

Dammonar #7 Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:31 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 51959 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

I have 3 marked t54 first prototype. You should not buy it, it is exremely tricky to play due to mm being as it is, and also forget taking it to skirmishes as it will be a hinderance for your team. The mot competitive t8 $ tank available in the tech tree for gold currently are: Lowe and strv s1. Out of the new age p2w premiums i doubt you will be able to get defender as it will not be available soon, skorpion and patriot are reasonable options. Skrpion is a medium with no camo and a huge [edited]accurate gun that has excellent mobility but canot turn and is the only TD that can reaaly be agresive sucessfuly but also be equaly god at camping. Patriot is a true heavium with excellent gun depression it is the only new age premium that i have. Liberte.. im not aa big fun, it can rape all tanks that canot gold spam its 270mm effective front at ranges that its cupola canot be sniped while its fodder for every tank that can 2 key autoam it.

TL:DR buy Lowe or strv in discoun, or pay for a skorpion or a patriot. 

Browarszky #8 Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:09 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 16096 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L
Any news on that eternity project Kirovets-1?

ZlatanArKung #9 Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:30 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles
Defender

Zirakss #10 Posted 23 December 2017 - 01:38 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15785 battles
  • [C__G] C__G

I would say defender, but there are rumors (from developers) it won't be on sale this year.

As Uebergewicht already wrote, IS-6 and KV-5 are having problems with the matchmaker because of not enough penetration.

What would I do? Wait till the 24th. Maybe the defender is against all rumors in the calender. The next best thing would be the IS-3A. It's a little bit slower then a standard IS-3 and has a litte bit more DPM. The gun handling is IS-3 style (so on paper pretty bad), but the fast standard APCR shells make aiming at moving targets further away a little bit more convinient. The biggest drawback of the IS-3A: With only three crew members it's not a good crew trainer.

Edited by Zirakss, 23 December 2017 - 01:40 AM.

Browarszky #11 Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:27 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 16096 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L

View PostZirakss, on 23 December 2017 - 12:38 AM, said:

I would say defender, but there are rumors (from developers) it won't be on sale this year.

As Uebergewicht already wrote, IS-6 and KV-5 are having problems with the matchmaker because of not enough penetration.

What would I do? Wait till the 24th. Maybe the defender is against all rumors in the calender. The next best thing would be the IS-3A. It's a little bit slower then a standard IS-3 and has a litte bit more DPM. The gun handling is IS-3 style (so on paper pretty bad), but the fast standard APCR shells make aiming at moving targets further away a little bit more convinient. The biggest drawback of the IS-3A: With only three crew members it's not a good crew trainer.

I have the IS-3A myself, I don't mind the crew of three so much, but.. how do you effective side scrape in that thing? Also, when you take a peek the sides of your pike nose armor are facing the enemy directly and are fairly easily penned.. not to mention the LFP...

Uebergewicht #12 Posted 23 December 2017 - 01:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles

The IS-3A used to be one of my most played tanks, and actually one of my first tier 8s. I´ve traded it in not too long ago. Since I´ve gotten a bit better at the game and drove a few different tier 8 heavies to compare it to, I could just not go back to the IS-3A, as the gun handling is absolutely infuriating. It is certainly not "IS-3 style". The IS-3 is really comfortable, it gets around really well and has great snap shot potential due to the awesomely low turret dispersion. The IS-3A is not only slower to get around, but it takes ages to aim, and even at close range it is super derpy. It sucks as a support tank because it cannot reliably place shots from cover or pop out quick enough to deliver a hit. All that while the Defender is at least as mobile, has better gun handling and completely broken armor on top. Let me tell you, after driving both IS-3 and IS-3A, there is no comparison... not that this matters too much anyway, I kinda dont think WG will sell the IS-3A anytime soon. With the Defender around, that seems like a shitstorm waiting to be unleashed.

Block Quote

how do you effective side scrape in that thing? 

You sidescrape by not exposing so much that you can shoot the enemy, because if you can do that, the enemy also has a shot on your unangled pike nose. You have to hide a bit mor of your tank, about as much that you just cannot get a proper shot at your enemy, and try baiting him to shoot your side (which is thick enough and spaced). Then you pop out for a hopefully safe return shot.

There are tanks which can sidescrape to be basically invulnerable while also having clear shots at the enemy at the same time. The IS-3s are not these kinds of tanks. You need to bait the shot first with your side and only then you can expose yourself enough to take a shot in return. Otherwise you´re likely to get a new hole in your front.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users