The T95E2 in WoT and our opinions on it

T95E2 American USA Medium Premium Award

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Poll: T95E2 (85 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Should the T95E2 be buffed/changed?

1. Yes, the vehicle requires changes in order to be competitive/fit better with the current game. (68 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. No, you should consider uninstalling the game because you are a clueless goof. Also I hate you. (17 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote Hide poll

MrEdweird #1 Posted 24 December 2017 - 01:41 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20255 battles
  • [CIRC2] CIRC2

The T95E2 tier VIII award USA medium tank

(WIP as of October 11th.)

Hello, everyone.

I'm going to be talking about the tier 8 award US medium here - the T95E2 in the style of my FV201(A45) thread HERE.

I apologize for the wall of text. It is a one-of-a-kind, rare piece of equipment that you can only get through the refer-a-friend program by inviting someone to the game and having them buy a tier X vehicle.

I have here my own T95E2 with the new camo set and with a modified model with the T208 gun and various goodies made by Mirukii (milkym4n).

The T95E2 is a rare beast and you will only see it once every several hundred games for a very good reason - it needs a "friend" to get to tier X after being referred by you to the game. It is a standard award tank and as such has all the benefits of premium tanks minus the increased credit gain.

The vehicle itself was one of a series of prototypes in the T95 design philosophy that was brought up in an effort to replace the M48 as the USA's main battle tank. The project ultimately failed because no tangible benefits were seen and once again, modifications and interim designs of already existing solutions became the norm. The T95 program was scrapped but technologies developed for it were used in the M60 and later marques of the M48.

Historically, it was meant to feature siliceous cored armor, which would have improved protection against chemical effect rounds aka HEAT and sported a remarkably low profile (think FV4202). In WoT, this is not reflected in any way. The turret is a M48A2 one mounted with a M41E1 90mm rifled gun as lifted straight from the initial M48 marques. As such, it is rather unimpressive in comparison to really any smooth-bore gun or the later 120mm T123/M68 guns you see in game.

I have played several hundred battles in it and earned 3 marks of excellence, so I should be able to give it a good review. I play mine with a 4-skill crew with rammer, vertical stabilizer and optics.

For feasibility's sake, I am comparing this vehicle to T25 Pilot 1, Pershing, Centurion and Chieftain/T95.

Here's is the lowdown on stats if you want it.

tanks.gg

So let's comment on what's bad about the T95E2:

• Penetration - A terrible 181mm of penetration on the regular AP ammo is NOW ACTUALLY WORSE THAN TIER 8 PREF MM TANKS. Completely insufficient in the vehicle's intended role, which is mid-range fire support. The equivalent 59-Patton Chinese medium gets 212mm of pen with an /INFERIOR/ version of the same M41 gun. Even the M 41 90 GF gets 182mm, a tier 8 light tank. The T25 Pilot 1, a half-arsed prototype design from 3 generations ago has more penetration on it's lower-tech gun. Premium penetration is a mediocre 250mm of HEAT, others get 268+ APCR at tier. The console version has even less pen!

• Hull traverse - This thing turns like a heavy tank. This is the type of hull traverse that actually gets you killed. Very bad, but understandable because of the tank's narrow profile and long tracks.

• Shell velocity - Really slow AP shells. In fact, they are so slow, I use HEAT by default because that is like 200m/s faster. Not a great sniper with AP.

• Hull armor - It's supposed to have space-age, pre-composite materials, but instead it gets some nicely angled 95mm overall on the upper plate. Unfortunately, the lower plate is 76mm aka butter. The sides are meant to be 101 at the front but they are 51, with a very tiny strip of actual 101. The upper sides of the glacis ARE 101 and are actually very bouncy, but that's the only part. Overall, it's a lie, the low profile plays a bad trick as most everything aims down at the hull and it's usually never more than 190mm of effective armor on the upper glacis when facing enemies on flat ground. Getting the gun on target almost always exposing your frail hull which does nothing but fool you into thinking you have protection. Unreliable. Perhaps the biggest issue with it, however, is that most people just go for cupola, ignoring whatever hull armor you may actually have.

• Turret armor - Typical commander's cupola weakspot. Everyone shoots it, it's the first thing they see and it's massive. Pure RNG if you get hit there or not. The turret itself is...okay. I like it better than standard Pershing's turret but the cheeks are mediocre - most any well aimed tier 8 shot will go through and the mantlet is a lie - there is a gaping 120mm hole around the gun. Clueless players who just autoaim you usually pen right through mantlet.

• Economics - Bad credit gain combined with premium ammo use means you will never really make a decent profit. It is possible to only use AP, do 3k damage and still lose credits with a premium account.

• Aim time - This is not that bad, I just feel like it needs to be 10% better to minimize exposure time.

• Rarity - It's rare and people will focus you for no real reason but to add your kill to their collection.

• Looks - It looks odd to me. The hull was designed for another turret and it shows. Without the visual mods it looks bland, boring and misconfigured. Here, look. Eugh.

Next, let's look at what's good about the vehicle:

• Top speed - An excellent 56kph makes getting places easy. The tank accelerates decently well, too, which means mobility overall isn't TOO bad when considering the slow hull and turret traverse.

• DPM - Has some of the highest damage per minute among its peers. Fires fast enough that it feels like you are actually contributing, even if your alpha isn't amazing.

• Accuracy - Gets to about 0.34, which is better than some others at tier. Can snipe at mid ranges quite well if using the fast-flying HEAT round.

• Gun handling - Really quite decent gun handling, as is typical of American/British vehicles. You still have to stop and aim but snapshots are very much possible. Not the best in class but not far from it. This was buffed the last time WG looked at this vehicle a while ago to what it is now. It used to be much worse. T25 Pilot 1 has better gun handling, for whatever reason.

• Gun depression - The standard -9. It's good enough for most situations but for times when you really need to poke a hill it betrays you, mostly because it forces you to expose your easily exploitable hull due to weird turret positioning and how close the gun is to the hull. I'd much rather this be at least -10 but that's unlikely, even if they did give the Conqueror -10 when it could only fire it's gun at -5.5.

• Turret - Yes, I listed it as bad but less experienced players are clueless about your armor because the tank is rare and you don't see this turret until tier X. It can bounce a surprising number of shots.

• View range - A very serviceable 400 meters base view range. Good idea to use optics to make the best of this for some extra spotting damage. Also, while an annoying weakspot, the cupola pokes up nicely behind ridges for sneaky spots. This used to be 390, I believe. A needed change.

• Rarity - It's rare? I don't know, other than it looking weird and people asking questions about it from time to time it doesn't exactly get any "Type Hype" points.

The conclusion I make based on all this is that the tank is mediocre and the main issues are not exactly easily addressable. However, they are easily identifiable - low penetration on both rounds, cupola, unreliable turret armor, bad traverse.

The following explains what I personally think could be done to make the vehicle fit the current game better.

So what can be done /IN MY OPINION/ to get this thing rolling good:

• The abysmal penetration rate is completely unjustified for a tank with an easily exploitable hull and turret with no side armor and not exactly amazing speed. As was mentioned above, even tanks with lesser versions of the same gun get rounds with better penetration and objectively inferior vehicles like T25 Pilot 1 get better gun environments as a whole. There are several solutions to this - give it the 212mm the 59-Patton has or, more appropriately, change the vehicle to a type that uses the same made up "rifled" version of the T208 you can see on the T95/Chieftain, which, for some even odder reason has like 202mm penetration. That needs a buff, too, but that's a forum post for the future.

• The turret still uses the old thickness model of the regular M48 Patton, and not the M48A5 turret one. Those turrets were identical, so there is no reason 59-Patton and T95E2 would have inferior turrets unless WG feels like they need to. However, this makes no sense since looking at the near impenetrable Centurion turrets now start at tier 8, too. The mantlet weakspot is just silly. Unfortunately, there seems to not be an easily doable solution for the cupola problem. The closest option is the T95E8, which has a different turret and engine and supposedly, a slightly smaller cupola, but that's mostly fluff. Therefore my suggestion is to either BS the current M48A5's turret onto it and call it a day or look at alternative T95 models. Perhaps the optimal solution would be to use the T95 or T95E1 with keeping the bad cupola but at least having a decent turret. I feel like that makes sense if they buff the ammo on it and Chieftain/T95 to at least 212mm since the actual smoothbore T208 (based on the rifled T54 90mm gun) had a ridiculously powerful round. I believe the turret they used for Chieftain/T95 is the T95E1 turret and then it would make perfect sense to have both, since the hulls are more or less equivalent. Here's what the T95E1 is. In reality the difference between T95 and E1 is the recoiling mount, stabilizer and the mantlet.

So I feel like perhaps T95/T95E1/T95E8 would be the best replacement variants. The cupola remains but its a tier 8 so...then again, Centurion comes to mind again and that turret doesn't really have weakspots.

It's just the bane of the US tanks of the era - most of them had prominent cupolas. Unless they give it the same armor as the T110E5's cupola. Either way, by giving it an actual T95/T96 (heavy tank concept with similar design) turret, they can address pen issue with a version of the T208 with at least 212mm pen, improve the overall turret armor and make the tank actually look good. And if they keep current turret, it would be great if they actually added the dust covers so we don't have to look at the DUST COVER HOLDER POINTS on the turret, mister M48 Patton.

IMPORTANT

Here's something additional - this article HERE suggests that the T95E8, with a different AVDS engine would have a rear compartment similar to the current M48A5 and would have the same turret with a lower profile cupola than the standard M48A2 turret. This is a very feasible option to take. Buff the pen, give it the lower cupola and different engine and make the back of the hull taller. Seems reasonable as I looked up the L/AVDS-1100 engines and they produced roughly the same horsepower. That would provide a cooler looking profile with the lower cupola.

Here is an example of one. Notice the larger engine bay and lower cupola, pretty much exactly like the M48E5.

Overall, the tank is a mess - a very specific and strange combination of technologies, illogical performance characteristics and awkward armor. They could do better. In fact, I think they should have an entire T95 tech tree line but that's just me. Some tanks like the M48A2/T54E2/T123E6 with the characteristic sloped turrets a-la M60A1 are sitting out there being very lonely. Get on it WG!

Here's some further reading on the T95 - lots of images courtesy of Donmor3.

LINK!

Thanks for your time.

I have recently completed a remodel of the T95E2 to turn it into a T95E1.

You can find the mod here: Ed's T95E2 Remodel - T95E1

Hopefully, WG can have a look at this and get some ideas on how to improve the T95E2.

And maybe, we can get some more T95s in the game.

Edited by MrEdweird, 15 October 2018 - 06:25 PM.

WindSplitter1 #2 Posted 24 December 2017 - 04:22 PM

Major

• Player
  • 16596 battles
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM

No idea why people didn't even bother to read a well-written article like this - let alone to comment - but this was a very interestin bit. I guess unless it's something easily obvious they can nit-pick at the OP and unload their saltyness on, it won't matter for them

I agree entirely with the remarks. But stopped at Tier V on my alt acc since many have said it turns like a Maus.

Shame really, I could use a 4-woman crew trainer.

MrEdweird #3 Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:20 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20255 battles
  • [CIRC2] CIRC2

View PostWindSplitter1, on 24 December 2017 - 03:22 PM, said:

No idea why people didn't even bother to read a well-written article like this - let alone to comment - but this was a very interestin bit. I guess unless it's something easily obvious they can nit-pick at the OP and unload their saltyness on, it won't matter for them

I agree entirely with the remarks. But stopped at Tier V on my alt acc since many have said it turns like a Maus.

Shame really, I could use a 4-woman crew trainer.

I'll add the bit about the crew as a negative. It's a poor crew trainer. I got the post to a semi-finished state.

cragarion #4 Posted 24 December 2017 - 08:50 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 44571 battles

You get a FREE tank that everyone wants putting on sale so they can get it and you complain about it,

NO COMMENT

MrEdweird #5 Posted 24 December 2017 - 08:53 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20255 battles
  • [CIRC2] CIRC2

View Postcragarion, on 24 December 2017 - 07:50 PM, said:

You get a FREE tank that everyone wants putting on sale so they can get it and you complain about it,

NO COMMENT

Is this sarcasm? I honestly can't tell.

I've listed what I think the features of the vehicle are and gave my conclusions in as level-headed a manner as I possibly could.

Most people don't know it even exists, much less know what it is or want it.

I'm guessing you read none of what I wrote so I'll treat your opinion on the matter with equal disregard.

And the topic reads "our opinions" on the tank, not what you think about how or why people get it.

Perhaps it isn't clear to you that WG have stated on multiple occasions that they are done with the premium-worse-than-research deal.

Or perhaps you forgot to think about why anyone would want a mediocre vehicle with no credit boost that the only real positive of is rarity?

I'm glad you would spend money on something like that (and you can, in a way). That's worse than the Type 59 deal.

If you get people to play the game, the reward should be encouraging, not mediocre and of no real use to anyone.

Edited by MrEdweird, 24 December 2017 - 09:04 PM.

Sessine #6 Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27114 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

He might refuse it with the CW reward tank?

Before the first buff it was pretty bad now another buff would not hurt (faster shells with better pen and/or more credits). 

Maybe let them skip the buff if they add the T95 tech tree....sounds like a fair trade. :P

MrEdweird #7 Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:18 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20255 battles
  • [CIRC2] CIRC2

View PostSessine, on 24 December 2017 - 08:12 PM, said:

He might refuse it with the CW reward tank?

Before the first buff it was pretty bad now another buff would not hurt (faster shells with better pen and/or more credits). 

Maybe let them skip the buff if they add the T95 tech tree....sounds like a fair trade. :P

I'd be game. Pen and cupola are definitely the biggest issues with it. It was utter c*ap before now it's just passable.

Edited by MrEdweird, 24 December 2017 - 09:18 PM.

_Bundesheer_ #8 Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:58 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29595 battles
Please move this thread to the proper section (in-game vehicles).

ZlatanArKung #9 Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:52 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles
I think the biggest issue was hull traverse.
All other stuff I could work with, but hull traverse just killed it for me.

SastusBulbas #10 Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:32 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 34159 battles

Well written, I have this tank, it's of limited use, and it feels like a half baked cake, like it was roughly put together and thrown out there but due to it being so bad no one really bothered with this or the recruitment programn, (My recruit had to be coerced with freebies n drink).

So many premiums are like this now though, so many additins to the game is just dilluting the choices and power creeping old tanks out.

xtrem3x #11 Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:45 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 32875 battles
  • [EFE-X] EFE-X
I have this tank but I also have the Patton KR and the Pilot which are both better tanks AND make more credits, so why would I ever play this?

Derethim #12 Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:53 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17761 battles
It turns not like a Maus, but a T25 Skoda. It's exactly the same, except the horrible penetration makes it WAY worse.

Draz_H #13 Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:18 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14692 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postxtram3x, on 27 December 2017 - 11:45 AM, said:

I have this tank but I also have the Patton KR and the Pilot which are both better tanks AND make more credits, so why would I ever play this?

Link_to_Insanity #14 Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:45 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 27022 battles
  • [FILO] FILO

View Postxtram3x, on 27 December 2017 - 11:45 AM, said:

This, except I don't have a Pilot. Point still stands though in that I would rather play the Patton KR than this.

Edited by Link_to_Insanity, 27 December 2017 - 02:45 PM.

demon_tank #15 Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25850 battles
  • [RED_S] RED_S
I havent played mine much. It doesnt earn premium credits so i not fond of playing it.

MrEdweird #16 Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:04 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20255 battles
  • [CIRC2] CIRC2

The T25 Pilot 1 is just a very nice tank overall. It looks mediocre on paper but in reality it works very well. I love mine, I do better on that with stock ammo than I do the T95 with HEAT. That's just ridiculous.

One was a prototype precursor to the Pershing, the other was a functional replacement for the M48, it makes zero sense, even in WG's balancing fantasies.

trispect #17 Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:22 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 33282 battles
  • [HSOP] HSOP

"

• DPM - Has some of the highest damage per minute among its peers. Fires fast enough that it feels like you are actually contributing, even if your alpha isn't amazing."

If it has around same DPM as other of it's crappy peers, it doesn't make it good. It has around 2000. Same as lot of heavy tanks. And if compared to Caernarvon and T25E5 it's sad. Tier8 mediums would require huge buff to be competitive. 20% more dpm than heavies and penetration at least on par with them. Gun handling should be a lot better OR huge mobility buff if they don't have good gun handling. 

dex_1950 #18 Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:37 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 31549 battles
  • [HEFFY] HEFFY
Mediocre, but i like it because uniqueness. I liked 260 until every bot got one.

sriloki #19 Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:57 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 14136 battles

http://www.modelbouw...n.com/t95e2.php

Chance the Turrent! cupola su**s

Balc0ra #20 Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:19 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 67337 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
Buff the cupola and reduce it's size, and then buff the pen like on the 59 Patton. Then you might have a decent crew trainer. As those two things are the reason I have not played mine after I aced it.

Also tagged with T95E2, American, USA, Medium, Premium, Award

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users