What about a tutoring program?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Dammonar #1 Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:22 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 51959 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

I've had an idea recently, inspired by the refer wot to  friend program would it be useful or even interesting to introduce a tutoring program?

The tutoring program would include platooning with and training a sub 48% win rate player and rewards will be given to both players if the averege damage/spot of the student player increases. The rewards will not have to be big, even meaningles stuff such as camo , premium time or a small credit modifier will be enough iniiative to teach some players the basics.

I imagine it would work like this, an algorithm would recognize hat a bad player is not improving and a nottification would pop up like the special offer thingy. It would say things like, You have a lot of untapped potential commander! would you like a veteran to show you some new tricks? Both of you will be rewarded and new friends and opportunities will arise. 

The moment  the said bad plyer clicks the button he receives a tier 3-4 premium tank, credits as well as some reserves or what have you, then he is  directed to the page where he can choose his tutor.

Now on to tutors, if a 55%+ player wants to be a tutor he signs up in the tutor program and instantly receives some small rewards, he accepts to platoon on predetermined times on fridays / sundays (2-4 hour sessions). At the end of the session the student evaluates the teacher and vise versa, then both have the option to accept or decline continuing to work together. The overall tutoring career of  teacher player can be seen when a student tries to select a teacher.

If they accept the student joins a group like "clan" or "friends" as like "students" a teacher can have up to two students so all can platoon together and benefit.

When the algorithm determines that the avg damage/spot of a student has increased significantly then the student can graduate giving him very significant rewards, lesser but also important rewards are given to the teacher. 

This program will increase the cooperation, skill level and fun in the game i think.

Community i'd really like your opinions, thanks for reading and /or replying.

Edited by Dammonar, 26 December 2017 - 06:25 PM.

Tiger_Panzermeyer #2 Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:50 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 11114 battles
What about no

Spurtung #3 Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:23 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 63763 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostTiger_Panzermeyer, on 26 December 2017 - 07:50 PM, said:

What about no

I second this.

_EXODUZ_ #4 Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:34 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34979 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostSpurtung, on 26 December 2017 - 07:23 PM, said:

I second this.

I'll be third, ty.

Dis4ster #5 Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:43 PM

Major

• Player
  • 27952 battles

Most of the bad players are bad because they play f2p, they play stock tanks because free exp is hard to accumulate without gold and they play without premium ammo and move from tank to tank without playing an alite tank for to long and all this against p2w players in a game that forces you to use premium ammo with stupid matchmaker and inbalanced tanks.

How about a program/therapy for this stupid greedy developers to stop their game damaging course. This would be the first step and then when their brain problems are solved, we could start to teach 10 year old kids and 70+ old grandpas how to aim for weakspots and use viewrange and camo, because then tanks would have weakspots and maps would allow you to use your camo and viewrange.

Sfinski #6 Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:51 PM

Major

• Player
  • 31728 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

View PostDis4ster, on 26 December 2017 - 08:43 PM, said:

Most of the bad players are bad because they play f2p, they play stock tanks because free exp is hard to accumulate without gold and they play without premium ammo and move from tank to tank without playing an alite tank for to long and all this against p2w players in a game that forces you to use premium ammo with stupid matchmaker and inbalanced tanks. 

False. 

Baldrickk #7 Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:09 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 30127 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-
I picked up a newbie player on Boxing day morning.
Played with him for about an hour and a half.
Consider it my contribution to the season of goodwill.

I think I gave him some useful information, but it was hard trying to stop him from trying to take on tier 7 heavies frontally.
He was unaware of when he was taking damage, so every time he died, he was complaining about being one-shot.
He didn't really understand how to use cover, or when to stand his ground or retreat.
He didn't know about crew training, or skills and perks.

Trying to get this across, especially without being on voice comms was quite hard.

I hope that I got some of that across but I wouldn't want to do it constantly.

I can't even guarantee when I can play for myself regularly, which is one reason why I'm not in a competitive clan.
So it's hard to say I could commit to any sort of training.

Pvt_Duffer #8 Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:24 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 16658 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

We used to have one, their legacy remains here,,,

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/436045-the-tankers-handbook/

AFAIR It turned out to be a *lot* of hard work and masses of commitment for little reward and faded because it couldn't be sustained.

Shame really, as it fell shortly after I discovered it and was looking in to it.

RIP SGTA.

Pandabird #9 Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:33 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33973 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF
Why teach someone to kill me?

Kill or be killed, simple as that.

Teaching done, bring it.

KillingJoker #10 Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33316 battles
  • [-EXC-] -EXC-

I dont understand why people criticize an idea that is meant to help players with less knoledge about the game...

but i still think it should be every player to seek knoledge, a player who is motivated to learn, wont need the help of anyone else

it will basicly seek information about the game online and try to understand its mistakes...

understand basics of every class in the game, how to behave in situation A, how to counter enemies at certain point etc etc

all of that can be learned, its all a matter of knoledge, obviously no one will become extremely good, because inteligence and decisions are still the most important 

thing in the game, but an under average player who understand the basics, and can follow certain patterns of behaviour can at very least become a very competent player...

still, i think that tutoring and teaching should be a clan thing and not a WG program... 

Killer_Tia #11 Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:05 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 873 battles

It's a nice idea but alas the reason most layers are bad is, regardless of how harsh it is to say, that they are very, VERY, unintelligent. 
The fine details and nuances of this game can be quite in depth but at its core it is extremely simple. It really doesn't take a genius to realise that if you sit out in an open field not moving, you're gonna get shot. 

I'm trying to be as civil about it as possible but I literally cannot understand how some people are so bad, my brain just doesn't compute it. Do they have it in sniper mode all the time? Are they playing with a mapped joypad? Are they using a trackpad? And that's just the slow reactions. As for understanding a battle, how often do you see some lowbie oblivious to the fact that 4 enemies are right behind them only for them to then complain that they were shot from nowhere. 

The further problem is that these poor players are also unwilling to take any advice. I know, I've tried. Sent messages after the battle saying stuff like:

'Hey, not a bad battle! When you got killed though you could have turned your hull to stop the enemy penetrating you, might be worth remembering for next time.'

or

'That was cool but if you had gone here at the start you could have spotted even more and got tons of xp and credits! Just remember not to shoot when you're in your bush because the enemy will see you ;) '

99.9% of the time all you get is abuse. 

Until there is some IQ test when logging in, nothing will change it.

Baldrickk #12 Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:21 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 30127 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-

View PostKillingJoker, on 26 December 2017 - 08:54 PM, said:

I dont understand why people criticize an idea that is meant to help players with less knoledge about the game...

but i still think it should be every player to seek knoledge, a player who is motivated to learn, wont need the help of anyone else

it will basicly seek information about the game online and try to understand its mistakes...

understand basics of every class in the game, how to behave in situation A, how to counter enemies at certain point etc etc

all of that can be learned, its all a matter of knoledge, obviously no one will become extremely good, because inteligence and decisions are still the most important 

thing in the game, but an under average player who understand the basics, and can follow certain patterns of behaviour can at very least become a very competent player...

still, i think that tutoring and teaching should be a clan thing and not a WG program... 

It's a noble idea, but not an easy one to do.

Clans teaching their members is a good way.

The biggest problem is that many don't know how bad they are, and most definitely don't want people pointing it out.

Aikl #13 Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:52 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25552 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

I like the idea, but I don't believe in it. Why would a terrible player even want to improve his gameplay? There's already plenty of possible ways to learn and improve, but if anything I'd rather see the game design reward doing OK-ish. Currently it doesn't really do that.

I could see a logarithm being used to influence what kind of games players get into, however. Perhaps the top spots in a 3-5-7 battle are not for the worst, nor the best, players? It sucks to have casual top-tier players, and it's not particularly fun to be top-tier and win a roflstomp because the enemy top-tiers were casual. When the enemy T10s die, and you're left to fight an onslaught of T8s... it feels like cheating. Almost, anyway.

Killer_Tia #14 Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:56 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 873 battles
Making completing the new improved bootcamp mandatory upon it being introduced could have helped a bit, even though it actually explains some things like penetration less so than it did before.

Enforcer1975 #15 Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:19 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20760 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
If players actually wanted to be less of a muppet learn and become a better player they would have already done so. I doubt it's a lack of brain capacity in most cases although i have been in doubt about that since the xmas specials. We have a lot of sources where you can get "inspiration" but most of the time you hear "but WG...".

KillingJoker #16 Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33316 battles
  • [-EXC-] -EXC-

WG could also create some tutorials/challenges for players improve their game decisions, some old school strategy games used to have some " tutorial scenes" 

to make players understand the game and improve their decisions,

per example,:

-  1 vs 2 (heavy tank vs 2 medium tank bots) 

-  a 1 vs 5 in a light tank vs heavies and tank destroyers (also bots) just to understand how spot mechanics work etc etc

- a 1 vs 1 (tier X light tank  vs Maus bot) (this would be great for some players to learn how to defeat slower heavies using mobility... 

there are many scenariuns wg can use as a challenge/tutorials, so new player and even experienced players practice situations, its not hard to code and it would be a great to have in the game, as well as "test drive" with every tank... ratter than playing test server, it would be great if players could test any tank vs bots... or challenges

by basicly having an engine that players could customize scenariums...

Per example i would love to have a match customized by my self with 15 bots vs me... on a heavy tank, just to pratice to angle the armor and defeat enemies that are attacking me from different angles... etc etc, the positioning

this can all be done, WG allready have bots in the game... now tis time for they let players and clans to customizes scenes for practice... 

Jethro_Grey #17 Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:29 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4302 battles
  • [KAIN] KAIN

View PostDammonar, on 26 December 2017 - 06:22 PM, said:

I've had an idea recently, inspired by the refer wot to  friend program would it be useful or even interesting to introduce a tutoring program?

The tutoring program would include platooning with and training a sub 48% win rate player and rewards will be given to both players if the averege damage/spot of the student player increases. The rewards will not have to be big, even meaningles stuff such as camo , premium time or a small credit modifier will be enough iniiative to teach some players the basics.

I imagine it would work like this, an algorithm would recognize hat a bad player is not improving and a nottification would pop up like the special offer thingy. It would say things like, You have a lot of untapped potential commander! would you like a veteran to show you some new tricks? Both of you will be rewarded and new friends and opportunities will arise. 

The moment  the said bad plyer clicks the button he receives a tier 3-4 premium tank, credits as well as some reserves or what have you, then he is  directed to the page where he can choose his tutor.

Now on to tutors, if a 55%+ player wants to be a tutor he signs up in the tutor program and instantly receives some small rewards, he accepts to platoon on predetermined times on fridays / sundays (2-4 hour sessions). At the end of the session the student evaluates the teacher and vise versa, then both have the option to accept or decline continuing to work together. The overall tutoring career of  teacher player can be seen when a student tries to select a teacher.

If they accept the student joins a group like "clan" or "friends" as like "students" a teacher can have up to two students so all can platoon together and benefit.

When the algorithm determines that the avg damage/spot of a student has increased significantly then the student can graduate giving him very significant rewards, lesser but also important rewards are given to the teacher. 

This program will increase the cooperation, skill level and fun in the game i think.

Community i'd really like your opinions, thanks for reading and /or replying.

In WoT? Lmao. Not gonna happen!

Don't get me wrong, tutoring is good idea (but without any rewards tho) the WoT community - with a few dozen exceptions - are the definition of toxic waste.

No way a 50%+ player would "waste" time helping a newb out. They rather complain about them on the forums.

Why do something helpful and constructive when whining on the forums can make you look like an elitist ****, which seems to be the prefered way some people want to be seen.

Edited by Jethro_Grey, 27 December 2017 - 05:29 PM.

Killer_Tia #18 Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:36 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 873 battles

View PostJethro_Grey, on 27 December 2017 - 05:29 PM, said:

In WoT? Lmao. Not gonna happen!

Don't get me wrong, tutoring is good idea (but without any rewards tho) the WoT community - with a few dozen exceptions - are the definition of toxic waste.

No way a 50%+ player would "waste" time helping a newb out. They rather complain about them on the forums.

Why do something helpful and constructive when whining on the forums can make you look like an elitist ****, which seems to be the prefered way some people want to be seen.

There are a few cases where thats true but the bigger problem is that 99% of the hopeless newbs refuse to even try to improve. 

They are the most toxic element as their stubborn refusal to even try in a team game is what causes every little bit of toxicity in the first place. 

arthurwellsley #19 Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:01 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 51767 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

There were two organisations running these type of programs;

SGTA

and

WOT UNI

WOT-UNI used to be part of Sir Havocs community. I am not really sure if it is still running teaching  players with mentors http://eu.wargaming..../wot/500051927/

jack_timber #20 Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:10 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33432 battles

Remember when I started, a few key press's to remember and the mouse buttons, right got it!

Then you go into battle and a minute later you are back in the garage having been killed.

Simple game to pick up but can be somewhat complicated to master all the various elements, still learning now.

Tutorial yes but like others have said not easy to implement and follow through.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users