How to persuade your team to do something ?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Etre_ #1 Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 50949 battles
  • [WEBOB] WEBOB

Hi guys,

I had some quite baffling experiences with my teams recently.

See, there are certain moments when you know right from the start the winning move and you have to convince your team to cooperate. Isn't like they don't listen, I was suspecting that. Now I'm starting to believe they are doing it in reverse on purpose. 

Let me give you just two recent examples:

Erlenberg assault mod. As attacker in E9 is a good spot for a fast, low profile tank with good turret to play aggressively. Is a V shaped depression just before their first house on the hill. You can counter the hill and shoot the guys along the river. The only downside is if an enemy is playing middle near bridge and is waiting for you, then you are kind of stuck ... but that is a risky position for him to play also. Is not a completely safe from arty but is not an easy shot either. It works if you have support from back so you won't be overrun ... happy yolo people. 

Prokhorovka, normal. South spawn. Again, if you have a low profile tank with good turret and there is no arty, you can play aggressively hill, right on their edge. There is a small depression that will make you relatively safe to shots from middle. You can peek, spot, wait for stealth and repeat. You can also do shots toward the middle,  set up a nice crossfire.  Thing is, you need more than 1 tank in the middle otherwise is a waste of time.

So, you know, me being the "good" guy that I am, I'll ask for help, like:

Hey guys, I'm gonna spot aggressively hill, does someone care to take middle and farm damage ?

Guess what, they don't ignore me. They do instead the opposite of what I'm asking.

On Erlenberg the entire team went castle.

On Prokorovka 10 guys came hill behind me and stood there for a good time ... just a light and a TD in the middle.

Now ... I wonder if reverse psychology will work because asking nicely and explaining the tactic doesn't.

Any ideas or relevant experiences ? How can I trick my team to do the right thing ... that is the million credits question.

Edited by Etre_, 27 December 2017 - 04:08 PM.

qpranger #2 Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:08 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 31551 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Use expletives in abundance.

TheFurst #3 Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:12 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 12722 battles
  • [HD16] HD16
May sound weird, but the more simple the english in chat is, the higher the possibility somebody might comprehend.

JocMeister #4 Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:15 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21882 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

I just ping the map at the beginning where I want them to aim and write "I will spot there". Actually works most of the time. 

UrQuan #5 Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:15 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 19411 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Some helpful tips:

- Keep it simple, it gets better effects. Something like *I'm gonna spot aggressively* is too complex already, as people have different expectations of what it entailst, just stick to *I spot this area*

Should something happen that prevents you from spotting that area, do inform the team why (from unseen scout spots me to enemies are swarming the place) even if it's obvious form minimap.

- Be polite; people generally respond better when you keep it polite, no expletives nor insults, even when the majority ignores it.

- If some folks did listen to your advice, do your best for them, they changed their plans for you, least you can do is accomodate them. This is also why you best keep it simple, so you have backup plans ready when the response is not as hoped. Communicate when you divert from the original plan, so people that did follow you, can still adjust their plans. Nothing so frustrating to help someone who ask for help at location X, only to see he abandoned it.

If team goes total haywire; stay polite, inform them the original plan is off due to bad team deployment, then go solo & see what you can salvage for yourself.

In regard to ignorance: remember people can have their team chat turned off, resulting in the inability to communicate.

Edited by UrQuan, 27 December 2017 - 11:25 PM.

TankkiPoju #6 Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:16 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20014 battles

You need to remember the tactical smiley after each sentence.

Merton15 #7 Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:22 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 13845 battles
Two problems. Firstly, many of the player base will make up their minds where they are going to go and will ignore team mates and their positioning. Your Erlenberg problem. Secondly, those who have no clue what to do will follow anyone who moves forward confidently, without knowing why. Your Prokorovka problem. Even if they understand chat messages, this basic psychology will often override what they read.

Phobos4321 #8 Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:22 PM

General

• Player
  • 43110 battles
"all idiots to the beach" on overlord helps somethimes to just get 1-2 tanks down there

dennez #9 Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:24 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16851 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I have found that driving up behind them and pushing them to the place where they're useful is generally the best and most widely understood tektik.

UserZer00 #10 Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:25 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9226 battles
I find that promising gold after the game helps, but you have to keep addin people to your blacklist when they keep insisting for it after the match

Havoc7926 #11 Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:28 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 13083 battles
  • [OLDG] OLDG
sadly I think most people have chat turned off because of the constant stream of useless nonsense that it became and therefore they may just not be hearing you rather than ignoring you.

hajoittaja #12 Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:43 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 36655 battles
  • [ELC-P] ELC-P
Yesterday on Overlord a team mate typed in chat "all to the beach lol :D" and guess what? Team actually listened :facepalm: Needless to say game was over in couple of minutes. I try to tell people to go east side on that map, but never works.

VsUK #13 Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14288 battles

If your team has BOT players. This is WG AI tanks to give the impression of activity & give players a short waiting time for games. But all this does is give the team with the most AI tanks a severe disadvantage because AI tanks don't help, talk, communicate at all nor respond to map indications or enemy movement. 

But, I've found myself flipped on my side in a T10 tank & have 4 team members near me just ignoring me. A simple nudge would do it but oh no. Too much like being helpful that is.
What they need to do that I've experienced a few times. Is giving people an instant 24 hour ban if they kill a team member that isn't in a certain proximity of an enemy tank. This isn't an accident it would be deliberate. But, people get away in games with 2 shots & then they just play a few games without doing it & then repeat. They do it especially when your on 5 kills, low on HP & going after the enemy arty for your 6th & someone on your team kills you & laughs. 

Edited by VsUK, 27 December 2017 - 05:51 PM.

qpranger #14 Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:02 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 31551 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostPhobos4321, on 27 December 2017 - 05:22 PM, said:

"all idiots to the beach" on overlord helps somethimes to just get 1-2 tanks down there

Or they just all go there, as requested :)

Joggaman #15 Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:04 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 23066 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostVsUK, on 27 December 2017 - 05:49 PM, said:

If your team has BOT players. This is WG AI tanks to give the impression of activity & give players a short waiting time for games. But all this does is give the team with the most AI tanks a severe disadvantage because AI tanks don't help, talk, communicate at all nor respond to map indications or enemy movement. 

But, I've found myself flipped on my side in a T10 tank & have 4 team members near me just ignoring me. A simple nudge would do it but oh no. Too much like being helpful that is.
What they need to do that I've experienced a few times. Is giving people an instant 24 hour ban if they kill a team member that isn't in a certain proximity of an enemy tank. This isn't an accident it would be deliberate. But, people get away in games with 2 shots & then they just play a few games without doing it & then repeat. They do it especially when your on 5 kills, low on HP & going after the enemy arty for your 6th & someone on your team kills you & laughs. 

LOL!

I guess you reap what you sow....

Btw, there is a line missing in your signature:

"No aim-bot should carry a player"

VsUK #16 Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14288 battles

View PostJoggaman, on 27 December 2017 - 05:04 PM, said:

LOL!

I guess you reap what you sow....

Btw, there is a line missing in your signature:

"No aim-bot should carry a player"

You reap what you sow? How does that work out exactly? I should forever be team killed in game?
Also, Grow up & change the record!

Hardass #17 Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 32723 battles
Spam the Mini map on a grid the opposite way you actually want you team to go they will then ignore you and all lemming the actual way you intended

ApocalypseSquad #18 Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:19 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 26262 battles

A complex and varied subject, depending on circumstances.  However if you are a tomato and have uselessly YOLOed and died in the first minute, the accepted approach (based on a  couple of experiences last night) would seem to be to endlessly (and I mean endlessly) ping the map location where you died.

This will quickly ensure that your team mates report you for chart spam - which must surely have been your objective as there was no where else that this behaviour was going to lead?

Phobos4321 #19 Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:21 PM

General

• Player
  • 43110 battles

let me guess you didnt have even the slighest scrap of proof  for those wg bots ...

does normal players help? do they listen to you ? or have they deactivated the chat  because everyone aroung them is a cheater/hacker or useless noob anyway ?

also isnt even knowing what aimbots can do exactly your forte ?  as such   there are tanks on your team that dont insult anyone, that aim only for enemy tanks, aim for weakspots, arent blocking you

for most of my games i would have 3-4 teammates i would replace by such bots anytime if given the choice

View Postqpranger, on 27 December 2017 - 06:02 PM, said:

Or they just all go there, as requested :)

well its that their way to out themselfs ^^

if i just convinced a few players  of beach= dumb   it was worth it

JocMeister #20 Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:25 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21882 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

I have been teamkilled intentionally once in 18k battles. Even considered you might be the problem? Some people know what you did you know...and they might not like you.

Here is a nice video if someone forgot what you did....:trollface:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users