Tired of being a bad player

tomato no more

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

WindSplitter1 #1 Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:36 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 15164 battles
  1. Poor performance leads to more battles with the continued poor performance, slowing tank grind (should be a fair warning something's wrong though).
  2. You can't be relied upon when your team needs you the most.
  3. Unless playing SPGs or LTs, where your eyes must be on the map 95% of the time, map reading is glacial, and that's when it's there.
  4. Can't do well in lone wolf events.
  5. LTs (most played class) are effectively removed from the game with their long reloads, decreased mobility, survivability and view range.

And I could go on like this forever...

They say "watch streams" but in streams, direct fire players ignore the unicum and only arty shoots them.

Platooning with good players or playing alongside with them tends to help a lot but those are rare to find.

Best advice I've received was "L2P a proper tank". My guess is that would be a Soviet Medium, since that's what good players drive, although that's an oversimplified point of view.

I understand this post is repetitive but I'd like to receive advice to git gud. Please.

qpranger #2 Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:43 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 31046 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

How can you be a bad player if your stats are about the same as mine?

I am a good player by current WOT standards :)

Scabolcz #3 Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:44 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 13359 battles
Honestly, I eventually got better by watching what other good players did (mostly on streams or youtube videos)... Also knowing your tank is crucial as well as the map you are playing... Really not sure what I can say to you

ZlatanArKung #4 Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:44 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles

View PostWindSplitter1, on 27 December 2017 - 06:36 PM, said:

1. Poor performance leads to more battles with the continued poor performance, slowing tank grind (should be a fair warning something's wrong though).
  2. You can't be relied upon when your team needs you the most.
  3. Unless playing SPGs or LTs, where your eyes must be on the map 95% of the time, map reading is glacial, and that's when it's there.
  4. Can't do well in lone wolf events.
  5. LTs (most played class) are effectively removed from the game with their long reloads, decreased mobility, survivability and view range.

And I could go on like this forever...

They say "watch streams" but in streams, direct fire players ignore the unicum and only arty shoots them.

Platooning with good players or playing alongside with them tends to help a lot but those are rare to find.

Best advice I've received was "L2P a proper tank". My guess is that would be a Soviet Medium, since that's what good players drive, although that's an oversimplified point of view.

I understand this post is repetitive but I'd like to receive advice to git gud. Please.

My friend can help you become a better player, no problem, if you want to.

PM LordMuffin in game, and he will try his best to improve your battle efficiency.

Though he prefers to teach at T5-T8. Not above nor below.

And his general advice is.

1: What is your tanks strength?

2: On what part of the map can your tanks strength be used. And how do you get into positions where your tank is strong?

3: What is your tanks weakness?

4: How do you avoid positions where your tank is weak?

Good luck!

Fix_a_track_lost_a_track #5 Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:53 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6603 battles
Play an OP tank! :trollface:

h4ctor #6 Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:07 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16457 battles

dont matter how good you are,do you have fun or not? if yes who gives a sh*t how good you are,if not quit or git gud indeed...for real tho,pick one class,try to play as good as you can

then quit

Solstad1069 #7 Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:16 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 39651 battles

Not often you see a player with average XP almost as high as average damage :)

You like light tanks and enjoy them, but i see no Luchs on your tank list. Its pure fun and ofcourse some seal clubbing involved.

LittleLILI #8 Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 50643 battles
  • [FRITE] FRITE

You are not a "bad" player, by any means! I have seen players with 25K+ battles, and a win rate of 41% of (was is 39?...), which means that not only they do not help their team, but they are a burden and are dangerous to their own team mates !!!

ok, I am only an average players, but a vet ... having "survived" all patches since the game started ..~.

Some advises, with very approximative English. In no specific order.

1- If you can win by cap, DO IT ! ... it implies secondary advises:

.. a- do NOT listen to players saying "stop cap" (especially if they do not add "please"...). MOST of the times they are greedy, and I have seen many battles lost because they wanted to "kill'hem all" and they were wiped out 1 by 1 by 1...

.. b- only listen if, besides having a polite request, you can see that it is at least a 5 versus 1, and not 5 light tanks versus a tier10 unicum !... or if you have XVM, the player requesting (politely) a no-cap has a high experience of the game and probably a better feeling of the odds.

.. c- when you cap, you cap : place yourself as far as possible from the possible incoming danger, protect your tank behind another tank/wreck, a house, boulder,... do NOT try  to shoot (you will loose camo + attract attention on you), and hide as much as possible as you do want want to be reset.  Just play time.

2- Do NOT try to Save The World by yourself ! By instance, if on a map all (or most and the biggest) are going left, don't go alone right thinking "I have to compensate and keep this side" Nooooooo! You will die horribly, alone, and frustrated, and your team will do a battle 14 vs 15 (or 12 vs 15 if a couple of poor souls thpught like you). Just go with the main and strongest flow until you feel more confident and know the map. and think points 3, 4 and 5.

3- A battle is not a rush for the 1st 3 or 4 mn! STAY ALIVE. Play the game, support, but try as much as you can to stay among the main force.

4- Learn as much as you can the map in training rooms. Not for shooting, but for knowing where to go, where to retreat if something goes wrong.

5- When you go somewhere, think "if something goes wrong, what is plan B How do I retreat?). You will always see better players leaving a position, even if it means that 1 or 2 of their team mate will be submerged and killed, because the best players feel when their position is doomed. Keep an eye on the best player of your group. Know to retreat before it is too late.

6- minimap, minimap, minimap. Enlarge it. Watch it. Always. Especially if you are prone to tunnel vision (you know, this illness when you are sniping and can't and don't want to see what is happening elsewhere?...

7- Stay alive and RELOCATE. Trying to to have 1 more shoot at a tank can be a fatal mistake. If you shoot multiple times from the same spot, and you are spotted (I hope you have 6th sense asap in most of your tanks), you can be sure than a better experienced player (or patient one) will just pre-aim where you shoot before...

8- Relax ... if the battle is lost because they are still 10 and you are 2 or 3, just do not give up. Use this time for making it YOUR game, i.e. try to do the maximum of damages, and try to retreat, relocate, and turn them crazy for as long as possible ! Actually, I recall a few battles where it was 100% lost, tank wise, but we simply rushed on their cap, and they had the syndrom "kill'hem all", not capping (or worst, leaving cap), and when you cap at 3, it goes fast! Very fast. And you can steal the game!!

9,10,11, etc ...

Edited by LittleLILI, 27 December 2017 - 07:33 PM.

vixu #9 Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:22 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 41529 battles

you are not bad.

- you are playing poor tanks (OI is very situational)

- you are playing tanks that don't suit your style. (Scorpion is kinda difficult to play if you don't know how to stand back)

Schepel #10 Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:29 PM

Major

• Player
  • 57109 battles

Don't watch streamers, watch your own replays. Learn to analyze your own games:

- what choices did you make?

- what were the results?

- what went wrong?

- what went well?

+ what would you do different and why?

Install xvm and use it to adapt your game. It is vital to know whether or not your arty and td's can be relied upon to shoot the right targets if you like to play scouts.

Don't hesitate to play tier 5 or tier 6 for a while. These are somewhat more forgiving tiers to learn certain aspects of the game.

Good luck!

Desyatnik_Pansy #11 Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:33 PM

Bartender

• Player
  • 14975 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostWindSplitter1, on 27 December 2017 - 05:36 PM, said:

I'm sure some folk on here will gladly platoon with you (especially if you pester them enough :P). You don't need Captain Super Unicum over there to platoon with you, even Corporal Light Blue might be enough to help put you on the right track at first.

Platooning with better players, especially using something like Skype, TeamSpeak, Discord or whatever-the-crap-you'd-want-to-use is probably one of the best ways to learn IMO. They can tell you what you did wrong and what to do instead, figure out your weakspots and give you tips on how to improve upon them. Obviously I wouldn't pester them every minute about it because even the nicest fella who might be willing to help you out might get a tad annoyed if you start each match with "Where do I go", "Who do I shoot" and whatnot, continuing to do such throughout the game.

Mind you, it's also better for both you and the person platooning with you that you're accepting tips and whatnot. Even if it's a harsh "That was stupid" or something. Reason I say this is I have a friend whom I play WoT With very frequently and while he knows that he's bad, he never really accepts tips and whatnot, he refuses to platoon with other players to help him out and I swear, you could teach him something new and two days later he wouldn't have a clue what it is. What's funny about this is for awhile we were both similarly skilled, but I tried to learn things where he did not. He's still around that same level now, while I'm not.

Even if you don't think you're learning all too much, you'll probably be subtly picking up on things. Even just watching them play while your tank sits as a burning wreck might be a learning experience. IMO Platooning is much better than say watching some streamers, because while that might be helpful, it's better to learn while playing than just sitting there watching someone else play at your leisure. It'll more likely stick with you better that way.

speedphlux #12 Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:38 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 42143 battles
  • [TZAR] TZAR

As someone who started as 880 WN8 and 48% WR after my first 8k battles, I think I've got something to add to this discussion.

The path I took was very long. It began by watching a ton of tank reviews by Jingles. Learning about weakpoints and armor angling from him. Spent prolly about two weeks "consuming" his YT library at the start. Just the actual review parts for most of it anyways. Gameplay of certain tanks was of no use to me, as I often don't constrict myself to "on this map, Heavies go there, so since I'm in a Heavy, I'll also go there". After that I pretty much knew what every tank is capable of. In rough terms of course. Meeting them on the battlefield was no longer scary. After that, I dabbled a bit into the official wiki, learning more about crew XP, crew skills, camo and spotting mechanics. That opened my eyes to a lot of things and I no longer hated wide open maps like Prokhorovka as an example. The sad part is that most of those tank reviews by Jingles (or others) are nowdays outdated and irrelevant. But there is still sites like tanks.gg where you can look at armor profiles and try to figure out where you need to be shooting at stuff, regarding whatever penetration values your gun is having.

After that, it's just a simple case of "getting the millage". Play a ton and try to keep all the information in your head. Specially anomalies you've encountered. Like getting pen'ed on a funky spot thru a wild angle or something like that. 12k battles ain't that much. But from 880 WN8 48% WR 8k battles guy, I turned very quickly into 1400 WN8 55% WR 12k battles guy. So I guess if you try my example, you could be "green" in another 6k battles. The more you play at "bad" level (or as we call it - the qpranger level), the more you'll have to play in future at better level, in order to "grind out" the mistakes you've developed.

Enforcer1975 #13 Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:52 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 19674 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostLittleLILI, on 27 December 2017 - 07:20 PM, said:

*snip*

^This

OP is far from being a bad player but he sees that he has to improve which is the way to go to become a better player.

Today's x5 event certainly lures out the worst of the worst that is out there. I had a game where out of 30 players only 3 were above 50% WR, 2 had 51% and me with 53%.....

@Windsplitter just join the forumites channel and toon with the better players. Tooning with them actually made me rethink a lot of stuff i was doing and try to copy the things where they succeeded and i am still not done improving because they still call out mistakes i make. That's the only way to be less of the guy who needs to get carried to the guy who does the carrying.

brumbarr #14 Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:38 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles

View PostWindSplitter1, on 27 December 2017 - 06:36 PM, sa

Exactly, thats the key to why they are good. They put themselves in positions where they dont get shot. Its not luck or bad enemies. Its them putting themselfes in the correct position to not get shot snd shoot the enemy.  

At first, this isnt obvious.  I used to see games and just thought:' these people dont get shot and can just shoot the enemies, i could have the same game if i was in the same situation'  But this isnt true, and its not obvious to see. Being good in duels doesnt matter ( i lose 1v1s vs tomatoes) being a great shot doesnt matter. Putting yourself in a position where you dont get shot and they do is the key. 

Watch those streamers again and think why they arent getting shot. If this doesnt work, find someone who you can watch one of his replays with and let him explain why he made each descission after you say what you would have done.

Liviguy #15 Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:30 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 12461 battles
The best channel I’ve watched for advice on maps and positioning in maps is 4tankersanddog on YouTube. He has map guides and scouting guides, he also does some good videos on measuring and defining the impact of skills/perks and equipment.

Liviguy #16 Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:36 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 12461 battles
I think something needs to be done to stop bad players from playing in high tier games. They are ruining many random games, leaving the team 2 or 3 down within a couple of minutes, something needs to be done about people who are poor at higher tiers.

xx984 #17 Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:56 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 52121 battles
  • [GO-IN] GO-IN
Message me if you want, Ill platoon with you if you think that may help. I am mainly a high tier player (8/9/10) but i do occasionally dip down into tier 7 and 6. I rarely go lower than that however but id happily help out if you need, especially a fellow forumite 

Tidal_Force #18 Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:13 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 16092 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View Postbrumbarr, on 27 December 2017 - 07:38 PM, said:

Exactly, thats the key to why they are good. They put themselves in positions where they dont get shot. Its not luck or bad enemies. Its them putting themselfes in the correct position to not get shot snd shoot the enemy. 

Pretty much this.

Also, it doesn't happen just to unicums, it happens between all skillbands in that better player makes something look easy or lucky because worse player simply doesn't have knowledge and skill to understand what really is going on.

Edited by Tidal_Force, 28 December 2017 - 02:16 AM.

Negativvv #19 Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:07 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 7811 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

To put it simply I'm learning and I try to review every death.

I might have pushed too far.

Didn't withdraw in time.

Traded HP pointlessly.

Wandered into a sniper zone.

Stood around in a Heavy whilst Arty are around.

Didn't support my team.

Simply had a derpy aim moment.

Etc etc.

As much as some players whine I find almost every time I've died it's been because I've made an error of some sort.

Isiween_ #20 Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:41 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 19346 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I have to say that this is the best topic in this forum for very very long time. Absolutely fun to read and learn. Thanks OP for bringing up this, as many of us needs help.

Also tagged with tomato, no, more

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users